PDA

View Full Version : The Leftwich/Dixon thread

Craic
08-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Buried in the article concerning Pouncey, is this quote,
It looks as though Roethlisberger might make his second start of the preseason at quarterback and Dennis Dixon will get his first chance to run the first team after him.

"I intend to give Dennis Dixon some looks with the first group against some good people," Tomlin said. "I think he's earned that likewise. And that's what this preseason is all about."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10238/1082784-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0xjfcHrnj

I thought he should have actually received some work with the first team last week, so that a bigger fight could ensue this week if Dixon panned out against the first team defense.

I am really excited to see what this kid can do. Right now, I am STILL more comfortable with Lefty. But I sure will be watching with anticipation come Sunday.

(mods-- I looked for a thread that seemed to touch on his playing time on sunday, and couldn't find one. Sorry if this is a dup. thread).

Nadroj 20
08-26-2010, 02:43 PM
He has earned the chance. Now lets see if he can move the 1st team O as well as he can the 2nd teamers. Good Luck DD!!

HometownGal
08-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Another Dixon thread - YAY! NOT. After Sunday night's game, I'm going to create one big DD thread so that the Steelers forum isn't clogged up like happened over at Shithole Forever.

I want to give the kid a shot, but my mind is pretty much made up on the experienced vet taking over for Ben the first 4 games. He is exciting but he is going to have to walk on water Sunday night for me to change my mind. His time will come - I just don't think he's there yet.

SteelGhost
08-26-2010, 03:32 PM
Glad to know DD will have his chance !! :dance: I expect he has a great game against Denver :tt02:

hotrodder07
08-26-2010, 03:41 PM
I've been a Dennis Dixon supporter since before camp started. I always believed he had the talent to play with the starters, and I couldn't figure out why Tomlin made his decision so early in camp. I'm really glad to see he's getting a shot now. Don't disappoint us, Dixon! Play like you've been so far, and you'll be fine. It's still an uphill battle for him, though, no matter how well he does.

GoSlash27
08-26-2010, 04:27 PM
I'd like to see more of Redman also.

SMR
08-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Buried in the article concerning Pouncey, is this quote,
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10238/1082784-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz0xjfcHrnj

I thought he should have actually received some work with the first team last week, so that a bigger fight could ensue this week if Dixon panned out against the first team defense.

I am really excited to see what this kid can do. Right now, I am STILL more comfortable with Lefty. But I sure will be watching with anticipation come Sunday.

(mods-- I looked for a thread that seemed to touch on his playing time on sunday, and couldn't find one. Sorry if this is a dup. thread).

:dance::dance::dance: It's about time!!

43Hitman
08-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I think he's earned his shot. This time though I hope to see him look to his second read before taking off. To me, that is the thing that is really holding him back at this point. I have heard(can't remember where), that Ben told Dennis to take off if his first read wasn't open. While I can understand this line of thinking, I fear that in the long run it could be detrimental to Dennis Dixon's development as a quarterback. He has the legs to buy enough time to at least get to his second read and I really hope to see him take that next step in his development.

Chidi29
08-26-2010, 06:36 PM
I wouldn't read much into it. Leftwich is still the guy. If there really is an in-house controversy as to who should start, we're in a lot of trouble. By this point, the starter has been determined and it's full speed ahead with whichever guy that is. And from everything up to this point, Leftwich has been that guy.

At best, this is giving Dixon a shot to

1. So he can't complain about it if/when we look to extend his contract in two years
2. Give other teams a look at what the guy can do against 1st team defense. If Charlie Whitehurst can get dealt, Dixon certainly can.

Killer
08-26-2010, 07:07 PM
Just like Martin Luther - - - I have a dream - - - if I had his jersey, I'd wear it

"Run Dixon Run!"

Craic
08-27-2010, 02:00 AM
For me, I am just interested to see what the kid can do. I agree with HTG that we need to start the season with lefty- unless Dixon simply lights up the first teamers in the next two games.

AND Lefty starts looking like charlie fry on a bad day.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Galax Steeler
08-27-2010, 03:28 AM
I'd like to see more of Redman also.

I think you will get your chance.

stillers4me
08-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Impresses Tomlin with preseason play
Friday, August 27, 2010
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/freed_steelers081410_17_500.jpg
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
Dennis Dixon dazzled with his legs and his arm, accounting for more than 160 yards of offense.

Mike Wallace knows all about the arm strength of quarterback Byron Leftwich. Just the other night, he ran under a 68-yard touchdown heave from Leftwich, a rare occasion in which Wallace, the team's fastest receiver, was not underthrown.
But, when asked to rate the arm strength of the Steelers' quarterbacks, Wallace was not ready to quickly concede the title to Leftwich.
"I'm going to have to give Byron the edge, but Dennis' ball is smoking," Wallace said. "He's gunning it. I'm talking about, it's coming."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/1083076-66.stm#ixzz0xngyyIkx

memphissteelergirl
08-27-2010, 09:26 AM
*Cue the post-time bugler*

It's a beautiful day here at Heinz Field Downs for the QB Derby ladies and gentlemen...

The field has been dwindled down to two for this race, folks. The strong favorite, Big Ben, was scratched earlier this season....he's been a little too frisky with the fillies lately and his handlers feel he needs a little time in the stables to get calmed down.

The ever-reliable, always steady Charlie (Batch) Horse, has been coming up lame a bit too much in recent months.

Now it looks like we have a match race between Double "D" and Lucky Lefty. Both have been looking strong in early workouts.

As we come closer to post-time, we see our competitors being loaded into the starting gate. Whoa...looks like Double "D" is a little restless there. Yes, he's been anxious to let folks see what he can do. Meanwhile, Lucky Lefty, the solid veteran, is looking calm and relaxed. Well it looks like Double "D" is finally settling down and we're ready to start...

*Bell rings"

AND THEY'RE OFF!!

Looks like Double "D" has the early lead...wow! He shot outta that gate quickly. But Lucky Lefty is running his race confidently like the competitor he is. And...yes...it looks like Lucky Lefty is striding toward the lead. Lucky Lefty is in the lead by a nose. He's proven he still a little bit left in the tank, folks.

But wait...as they're making the turn, yes....it looks like Double "D" is making a move. The youngster is coming on strong, ladies and gentlemen!

And as they head for home, it's Double "D" in the lead, but Lucky Lefty is still making this race interesting, folks! He's coming along the inside quickly...and at the finish line its....

Well....we'll know on Game Day, won't we?? :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
08-27-2010, 09:35 AM
We need an O that is going to produce and so far the more productive player is Dixon because he's got more options. Also its not like this is for the whole year its temporary so why not give the job to the high energy guy, of course this is if he plays well against Denver. If he sucks well then we got no choice really but to start lefty, but what if they BOTH play poorly?

MULLDOG24
08-27-2010, 10:54 AM

It's a beautiful day here at Heinz Field Downs for the QB Derby ladies and gentlemen...

The field has been dwindled down to two for this race, folks. The strong favorite, Big Ben, was scratched earlier this season....he's been a little too frisky with the fillies lately and his handlers feel he needs a little time in the stables to get calmed down.

The ever-reliable, always steady Charlie (Batch) Horse, has been coming up lame a bit too much in recent months.

Now it looks like we have a match race between Double "D" and Lucky Lefty. Both have been looking strong in early workouts.

As we come closer to post-time, we see our competitors being loaded into the starting gate. Whoa...looks like Double "D" is a little restless there. Yes, he's been anxious to let folks see what he can do. Meanwhile, Lucky Lefty, the solid veteran, is looking calm and relaxed. Well it looks like Double "D" is finally settling down and we're ready to start...

*Bell rings"

AND THEY'RE OFF!!

Looks like Double "D" has the early lead...wow! He shot outta that gate quickly. But Lucky Lefty is running his race confidently like the competitor he is. And...yes...it looks like Lucky Lefty is striding toward the lead. Lucky Lefty is in the lead by a nose. He's proven he still a little bit left in the tank, folks.

But wait...as they're making the turn, yes....it looks like Double "D" is making a move. The youngster is coming on strong, ladies and gentlemen!

And as they head for home, it's Double "D" in the lead, but Lucky Lefty is still making this race interesting, folks! He's coming along the inside quickly...and at the finish line its....

Nice!!!:lol:

SteelerSal
08-27-2010, 10:58 AM

*Bell rings"

AND THEY'RE OFF!!

Great race until the ending...it's like somebody pulled the plug on me. LOL

memphissteelergirl
08-27-2010, 11:28 AM
Nice!!!:lol:

Thanks...when I saw that headline I had visions of the character "Tick'Tock" McGloughan (sp?) from the movie "Seabiscuit" and I had to go with it....hehe.

:sofunny:

memphissteelergirl
08-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Great race until the ending...it's like somebody pulled the plug on me. LOL

Well...the race is still in progress if you really think about it, right? :noidea:

:chuckle:

BigBenFn7
08-27-2010, 11:31 AM
I'm still in the Dixon camp. It might be because he's the sexy pick and will be more interesting to watch but like someone said, he just simply has more options out there. As long as he's not out there throwing the ball to the wrong guys, I see no reason not to have him out there. Outside of his judgment, I don't see what the debate is for this team.

Killer
08-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Run Dixon Run!

Craic
08-27-2010, 02:08 PM
I wouldn't read much into it. Leftwich is still the guy. If there really is an in-house controversy as to who should start, we're in a lot of trouble. By this point, the starter has been determined and it's full speed ahead with whichever guy that is. And from everything up to this point, Leftwich has been that guy.

At best, this is giving Dixon a shot to

1. So he can't complain about it if/when we look to extend his contract in two years
2. Give other teams a look at what the guy can do against 1st team defense. If Charlie Whitehurst can get dealt, Dixon certainly can.
Or... To see if dixon is our answer for a long term backup.

st33lersguy
08-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Good, they need to measure up Dixon against other starters

Psycho Ward 86
08-27-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't think we'll be able to hang onto Dixon as a longterm backup QB. Just no chance, i dont see it. There's too much talent there and i think everyone in the league sees it.

polamalubeast
08-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin hinted Friday that he may not name a starting quarterback before Week 1 for competitive purposes.

Tomlin believes this will make it more difficult for the Falcons to prepare, and he's right. Dennis Dixon and Byron Leftwich are very different players. Tomlin also confirmed that Dixon has earned more first-team reps in practice. It wouldn't be surprising if both quarterbacks played extensively in the opener. The Steelers like Leftwich's experience, but Dixon is going to be hard to keep off the field because of his talent and playmaking ability.

Source: Ken Laird on Twitter

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38884030/ns/sports-player_news/

Carolina Steelers
08-27-2010, 05:01 PM
I think the only way Dixon starts, hes got to have a great game Sun. night and Lefty got to play awful, even if Lefty plays avg., I think he will still start Lefty that is.

solardave
08-27-2010, 05:42 PM
He may start Lefty but I bet if he struggles against Atlanta he jerks him for Dixon.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Strange how he is turning out to be a viable QB prospect in his 3rd season. I can remember when he was taken in the 5th there were many that wanted him to play WR, KR or any other "slash" type role.

Turning out to be a nice pickup and a guy that could give the Steelers a better chance to win than Leftwich.

stillers4me
08-27-2010, 06:22 PM
We've decided to combine all the threads concerning the Leftwich/Dixon mystery starting QB threads. They are starting to clog up the board. So any new article can just be added to this thread to be discussed.

stillers4me
08-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Dixon earned the chance he will get

By Bob Labriola – Steelers Digest
Posted 3 hours ago

..............“Dennis Dixon has done great with the opportunities we provided him to this point,” said Tomlin. “We think he is deserving of some first-team snap opportunities with our people, hopefully vs. their people but we don’t have control over who they play and when. We’re looking forward to him taking advantage of that. I know he’s probably excited about it. There’s great scarcity with first-team snaps in the preseason, and we’ve been very thoughtful and diligent about how we hand those out. We’ve given them to Byron Leftwichhttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/byron-leftwich/1c056731-bcbb-4953-acad-047f272bf685/), who has taken advantage of his. The young guy in Dennis, who we aspired to give a bunch of snaps to, has taken advantage of those snaps and is deserving of an opportunity to play with the ones.”......................

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Dixon-earned-the-chance-he-will-get/838f7176-4198-44f2-b1e0-8c18a27ecd94

GoSlash27
08-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I have been firmly in the Lefty camp until late this week. Not because I prefer him, but because that was the vibe I was getting from the front office. Now... I'm not so sure. Lefty is a career backup and Dixon is a franchise player in the making. Maybe it makes more sense to start Dixon?

@ Big Ben,
QB'ing isn't about athleticism and options (especially for a backup). It's about leadership and stability under pressure. That makes Lefty the natural choice as a backup. It's all going to boil down to politics. Do we want a backup to start these 4-6 games, or do we want 2 star quarterbacks in competition?

BPS3akaWirels3
08-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Why can't we use them both?? Do we need a true starting QB..

Chidi29
08-28-2010, 01:31 PM
Or... To see if dixon is our answer for a long term backup.

Which sorta ties into my first point. Makes it a little easier to try to re-sign him if we so chose down the road.

Chidi29
08-28-2010, 01:31 PM
I have been firmly in the Lefty camp until late this week. Not because I prefer him, but because that was the vibe I was getting from the front office. Now... I'm not so sure. Lefty is a career backup and Dixon is a franchise player in the making.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Craic
08-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Which sorta ties into my first point. Makes it a little easier to try to re-sign him if we so chose down the road.

Very true. Then again, with QB's at a premium the last few years, it just may be that we sign him, develop him a bit more, and then ship him off for a first or second round pick, leaving lefty as the backup. Lefty seems to really like the Burgh and fit in well with the STeelers. Furthermore, he also seems to know his role as a backup, not causing waves. I would be very comfortable with any scenario at this point long term. Short term, I am still leaning to lefty starting. However, on that old board of ours, you could see just how supportive I was of Dixon when he played against the Ravens.

Really, I think what is developing, is a win-win situation for the organization and the fans.

stillers4me
08-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Really, I think what is developing, is a win-win situation for the organization and the fans.

So do I. It's that little silver lining in the black cloud. We will forced to run the ball more efficiently (hopefully we can) and having two high quality backups battling each other for the temporary starting position only makes us stronger. The coaching staff is obviously putting packages together for both Leftwich and Dixon, so either will be be ready to step right in if Ben goes down midseason. What other team can say that? Who would you rather go with.......Leftwich/Dixon or O'Sullivan/Babypalmer?? :chuckle:

The Defense also knows their role in all this. They have to play to their full potential. Scary.

And when Ben does come back....he'll have 4 less games on his body than every other QB in the league....which will pay off in December/January.

Steeldude
08-28-2010, 04:06 PM
i'll take the QB over the WR every time

GBMelBlount
08-28-2010, 04:43 PM
Dixon has really seemed to be a catalyst so far, plus he's quick, mobile and elusive....which is especially good when you have a shitty O line.

Just sayin. :chuckle:

GoSlash27
08-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Chidi,

Let's not get ahead of ourselves...
I'm just sayin'. If not in real life, Dixon is a potential future franchise player in his own head. He's too young and too athletic to consign his entire career to backup.

Killer
08-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Why can't we use them both?? Do we need a true starting QB..

Good question,

I say if Leftwich loses the first game - you start Dixon the second game.

Or alternate halves or quarters or whatever.

Whoever keeps the offense moving should get the job.

Can I get an Amen?

stillers4me
08-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Good question,

I say if Leftwich loses the first game - you start Dixon the second game.

Or alternate halves or quarters or whatever.

Whoever keeps the offense moving should get the job.

Can I get an Amen?

I believe that was my suggestion months ago as well as not naming a starter until right before the game (as Tomlin has now decided to do to keep Atlanta from being able to game plan, which was my idea....thank you very much. ) but I was brushed off as being a dumb chick.

I guess that long talk Coach and I had at training camp did some good. :humble:

:amen:

Psycho Ward 86
08-28-2010, 08:19 PM
i'll take the QB over the WR every time

What?

Killer
08-28-2010, 08:42 PM
I believe that was my suggestion months ago ...thank you very much.... but I was brushed off as being a dumb chick.

Hey now Muffin, you know I love you baby....but...It shouldn't matter. Whoever moves the offense as the QB should win the job.

Lefty / Dixon

Dixon/ Lefty

If ye drives stall - - brring in the back-up, eh?
'
I'm open to big pass plays and the big run plays. Let's experiment!

Keep the ball moving - - that's my motto

When Ben comes back - then we can open up the 5 WIDE!

Nadroj 20
08-28-2010, 09:22 PM
What?

He must be suggesting that Dixon is more of a WR? Idk just my guess, if thats the case I couldnt disagree more.

stillers4me
08-30-2010, 05:14 PM
QB situation still unsettled and possibly unsettling (http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/08/30/qb-situation-still-unsettled-and-possibly-unsettling/)

August 30th, 2010

DENVER --
Dennis Dixon showed Sunday night that there is still a little too much risk/reward with the third-year quarterback to entrust him with the offense for the first four games of the regular season.
And you have to wonder how ready fill-in starter Byron Leftwich will be given the limited of snaps he has taken with the first-team offense.
Leftwich played only a couple of series in the preseason opener against the Lions and a little more than a quarter against the Giants. In the Steelers’ 34-17 loss to the Broncos, Leftwich didn’t get any work with the starters.
Coach Mike Tomlin mercifully pulled him after less than a quarter at Invesco Field after Leftwich threw four incomplete passes and got drilled behind the second-team offensive line.............

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/08/30/qb-situation-still-unsettled-and-possibly-unsettling/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

stillers4me
08-31-2010, 05:18 AM
Mystery surrounds Steelers' QB plan for season's start
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201008/dianasteelers0829_03_330.jpg
Peter Diana/Post-Gazette
Steelers quarterback Byron Leftwich is most likely to start Sept. 12, but Ben Roethlisberger is most ready to take the field -- even though his NFL suspension won't make that possible.

Mike Tomlin and his staff have done a good job getting one quarterback ready to open the 2010 season for the Steelers.
Unfortunately for them, Ben Roethlisberger cannot play until at least Oct. 17, and then only if NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reduces his six-game suspension to four, as many expect to happen later this week.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10243/1083877-66.stm#ixzz0yB3rqV4J

WindyCitySteelerFan
08-31-2010, 11:24 AM
After this weekend, Batch gets my vote.

Nadroj 20
08-31-2010, 11:28 AM
Batch cant get the job done. He is a great guy, but he wouldn't be better then Leftwich OR Dixon. At this point it looks like Lefty is the for sure starter. I'm basically at the "whatever" stage. Neither QB looked good and I guess what I was asking for was to give Dixon a chance. They did. He failed.

I seriously think both players will see time....

cold-hard-steel
08-31-2010, 12:54 PM
I said some time ago that Batch deserves one last shot. Everyone seems to think that Leftwich is the lock. Don't be surprised , i will say once again,if Batch starts the season for us. If anything happens to him,then we start Left,and as a player he would more than likely be done.Hope he stays around for a long time. Even if it is as a coach. I'm pullin for ya Charlie. Knowing the offense as well as he does,it seems fitting that he would get the least reps,in practice,or in preseason games too.

polamalubeast
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
NFL: Even Steelers don't know who will replace Roethlisberger

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
Published: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:00 AM EDT
PITTSBURGH - Ben Roethlisberger might start his third consecutive preseason game Thursday for the Steelers, though he can't be the starter when the season begins.

Byron Leftwich might get relegated to playing with the backups for the second game in a row, yet he's almost certain to be the opening-day quarterback.

Charlie Batch clearly believes he's the most qualified to play while Roethlisberger is suspended, yet there is no guarantee he will be on the team next week.

The Steelers' unsettled preseason lurches to a conclusion Thursday night against Carolina, with the starters not expected to play much and coach Mike Tomlin still not saying who will start at quarterback Sept. 12 against Atlanta. The Steelers traded for Leftwich in April to steer them through Roethlisberger's suspension, yet Tomlin is refusing to officially name him the starter.

Some Steelers are growing impatient with the lack of a formal declaration, including their most tenured offensive player.

``Right now, Ben's our quarterback, but he's not going to be around,'' wide receiver Hines Ward said. ``That's about all we know. Nobody knows who the starter is, the backup or even (who's) making the team. Hopefully by Monday, we'll have a starting quarterback.''

Although the choice seems obvious - Dennis Dixon's two-interception performance Sunday against Denver suggested he's not ready to start - Ward said it would put the players' minds at ease to know.

``It's tough; there's no question it's tough,'' Ward said. ``It's the first time in my 13 years here we haven't had a legitimate starter named, especially by the fourth (preseason) game. We're still going at it.''

In reality, the Steelers experienced similar confusion 10 years ago, when coach Bill Cowher didn't name Kent Graham as the starter until after the fifth and final preseason game. Graham lasted for only three games, and three losses, before Kordell Stewart took over. The Steelers went 9-4 after that but still missed the playoffs.

read more

http://online.indianagazette.com/articles/2010/09/01/b_reg_sports/10051675.txt