PDA

View Full Version : In good hands: Newest Steeler Sammie Coates has so much to offer

stillers4me
05-06-2015, 05:43 AM
Sammie Coates has an idea. At some point, with a chunk of the NFL money he is bound to make because he is fast (a 4.43-second 40 at the combine), explosive (41-inch vertical jump), strong enough to toss a jamming cornerback onto the sideline (23 bench-press reps at 225 pounds, best among receivers) and proficient enough at catching footballs, Coates wants to start an organization. He wants to reach into communities like Leroy, Ala., the no-stoplight dot-on-a-map where he spent his formative years, and he wants to help kids who've lost a parent. The former Auburn receiver lost his father in November 2003, when Sammie was 10 and in fifth grade. Sammie Coates Sr. was killed in a car crash while driving to one of his two jobs, but his son also understands that some parents disappear without leaving this mortal coil. He wants to help those kids as well.

Foremost, Coates, 21, wants to tell kids, It's going to be O.K. He wants them to know that they can do great things.............

Read more @ http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/01/2015-nfl-draft-sammie-coates-auburn-inspirations

cold-hard-steel
05-06-2015, 06:12 AM
Wow what a read. Might be a player to continually keep your eyes on .

86WARD
05-06-2015, 06:50 AM
In good hands...yet the knock on him has been he has no hands...lol.

Bluecoat96
05-06-2015, 07:32 AM
Guy's strong as an ox. Think about him blocking at the second level for Bell/Williams. I'm not too worried about the hands....yet.

86WARD
05-06-2015, 08:40 AM
Guy's strong as an ox. Think about him blocking at the second level for Bell/Williams. I'm not too worried about the hands....yet.

Yeah...I defended his hands...IMO, the knock on hands is kinda bullshit at times. The knocked Emmanuel Sanders, the knocked AB and both of those guys have turned out okay.

After reading that article, you can't help but root even harder for this kid!

Steeldude
05-06-2015, 09:47 AM
At times I see him extend his hands to catch the ball and then other times he gets lazy by catching the ball with his body. He needs to be consistent with his full arm extension and looking the ball into his hands. He has great size and good speed. He is definitely a vertical player as of now. Hopefully he will work hard on his route running to open up his game.

hawaiiansteeler
05-08-2015, 04:15 PM
by Bob Labriola
Steelers.com

* It seems the third-round selection of Sammie Coates didn’t sit well among some draft analysts, both professional and those who lurk in the comment sections throughout cyberspace. Drops too many passes. A luxury pick. Just another Martavis Bryant.

* Oh, no. What a disaster it would be if Coates were another Bryant. What could the Steelers ever do with eight receiving touchdowns from a rookie receiver again?

* The offense would have TWO big, really fast receivers who do nothing better than track the deep balls. Imagine Coates on one side of the formation and Bryant on the other, with Antonio Brown lining up wherever and Le’Veon Bell in the backfield next to Ben Roethlisberger.

* And as for the dropping of the balls, there is some belief that Bryant was actually a bit worse coming from Clemson, but those eight touchdowns sure compensated nicely. About Coates’ drops, wide receivers coach Richard Mann speculated that they might stem from concentration lapses or maybe from the way Coates positions his hands when making underneath catches. “But the thing is I’ve never seen any bad body language,” added Mann, “so he’s not afraid, and that’s a good thing.”

* A very good thing.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...4-b9ba46c60944