PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' fourth-round pick Grant relies on smarts to get job done

Lady Steel
05-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Doran Grant isn't interested in experimenting at safety when the Steelers open training camp at St. Vincent College later this summer.

The Steelers' fourth-round pick considers himself a natural at cornerback. He'll have a chance to prove it this weekend during rookie mini-camp.

What the Steelers are hoping to see from Grant and second-round pick Senquez Golson is an ability to tackle, which has been a problem for their cornerbacks much of the past four seasons. Grant played a significant role in Ohio State's Big Ten title game win with two interceptions. He was more impressive against the run against Oregon in the national championship game.

Grant has immeasurable confidence, especially in man coverage. But he considers tackling and intelligence his greatest assets.

“I feel like I'm a great tackler,” said Grant, whose father, Ted Jones, was a standout receiver at Michigan State. “I feel also my intelligence in the film room and on the chalkboard is very good, and I can translate that information to the field very fast.”

The 5-foot-10, 200-pound Grant will have to immerse himself in the playbook, considering the question marks surrounding the Steelers' cornerbacks. William Gay is considered the only shoo-in to start while inconsistency has plagued Cortez Allen and Antwon Blake.

For now, Grant will have to establish himself on special teams. He might not want to play safety, but he'll probably be tested at nickel during the preseason.

“If they say safety, I'm very versatile,” Grant said. “I could play at the outside at cornerback or put me inside or possibly back deep at the safety position, which I feel I can play. I know I'm smart enough to learn that position because I pay attention to whole defensive backfield.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8301901-74/grant-steelers-safety#axzz3ZEw5MdxZ