PDA

View Full Version : An updated look at Steelers' CB depth after 2015 NFL Draft

hawaiiansteeler
05-05-2015, 01:09 AM
An updated look at the Steelers' cornerback depth after the 2015 NFL Draft

By Jeff.Hartman on May 4, 2015

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/JvSXLzX7G_LWV7PBVcOctTSc0DA=/0x0:5002x3335/500x333/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/46269158/usa-today-8344274.0.jpg

The Pittsburgh Steelers added depth to their secondary through the 2015 NFL Draft. Time to take a look at the depth chart at cornerback heading into the 2015 season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have known now for a while this time would come. The time when they would be forced to spend quality draft picks on cornerbacks to help replace the players like Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis who have left the team in one capacity or another.

The team finally did just that in the 2015 NFL Draft selecting two cornerbacks in the first 4 rounds of the draft. They selected Senquez Golson from Ole Miss in the second round and Doran Grant from Ohio State in the fourth round. How the two defensive backs will fit into the team's plans in 2015 has yet to be known, but they certainly will have their chance to climb the depth chart.

The top of the depth chart is William Gay, and rightfully so. Gay has been the Steelers' best defensive back the past two seasons, and although such a statement could speak volumes about the team's secondary, it also speaks volumes about Gay as a player. Behind Gay would have to be Cortez Allen. Although not a fan-favorite after his sub-par 2014 season, Allen still is a large part of the team's future plans, and a large part of the reasoning behind that is the large contract he received prior to the 2014 season.

After Gay and Allen it remains a show without any headliners. Antwon Blake and B.W. Webb are the only other cornerbacks on the roster with NFL experience.

This is how Golson and Grant can help fill gaping holes within the team's roster.

to read rest of article:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/nfl-pittsburgh-steelers-news/2015/5/4/8545817/an-updated-look-at-the-steelers-cornerback-depth-after-the-2015-nfl

tube517
05-05-2015, 02:05 AM
I know that the nickel and dime DBs cover the slot receivers but don't they slide Gay over to the slot when the 3rd CB comes in? I think they did that with Brice McCain and even Blake last year.

86WARD
05-05-2015, 03:37 AM
Still in questionable shape for 2015 if you ask me...

Born2Steel
05-05-2015, 07:53 AM
An article that tells us our rookie CBs are still an unknown NFL commodity? I think you have to ask the right questions. Are we better as a team, on paper, than we were going into this draft. I would say that is, without a doubt, yes. We certainly didn't get any worse drafting 2 CBs that were stars on their college teams, adding a top 5 PASS rusher at OLB, and a 6'7" TE. Every draft pick is an unknown NFL commodity until they get in some playing time. Duh!

Rotorhead
05-05-2015, 09:47 AM
Do you think they would take a change on Alfonso Dennard, the Pats just released him and he is pretty decent CB. Just not sure about his off-field issues.

Born2Steel
05-05-2015, 12:45 PM
Do you think they would take a change on Alfonso Dennard, the Pats just released him and he is pretty decent CB. Just not sure about his off-field issues.

Not again. Last time we took a Patriots "cut", he walked off on us and rejoined the Pats.

vrabinec
05-05-2015, 01:29 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that our pass defense improves drastically from 27th in the league to around 26th in the league, and that we're looking at free agent CBs and CBs in the draft next year.

Pappy
05-05-2015, 01:35 PM
The corners are only as good as the pass rush. Better pass rush equals better corner play and more turnovers. It's as simple as that.

Steelman
05-05-2015, 02:25 PM
I have a feeling Doran Grant will be the one to make an immediate impact out of the rookie group, Dupree included. Senquez Golson will be good, but not until later when he's more intimately familiar with the complexities of the defense for him to thrive (ala Troy's first year) and make plays. His game depends on anticipation so I expect him to be pretty lost the first year.

I liked both cornerback picks this draft. They were desperately needed after not signing any via free agency. But the future of the secondary still hinges on Cortez and Shamarko IMO. Namely, Cortez to get his shit together and earn some of that money we threw at him, and Shamarko to finally break his way into the starting lineup. I think the latter half of last season proved we can survive without a Troy-like safety in the backfield. Will Allen subbing in actually smoothed out some of the coverage issues Troy and Mike were having. I've been vocal about my opinions on Mike Mitchell, but he's not really the concern. Get him back healthy and see what he can do with two less groin tears. Maybe he improves his coverage skills, or maybe he doesn't and you have Ryan Clark again. Either way, he's not the linchpin at safety, that will be up to Shamarko. I know Dwins and others (or maybe it's just Dwins :chuckle:) are high on Alden Darby but Shamarko has the talent and now the experience to be a solid starter. Which will also help the outside corners. Cortez is the one guy on the roster that IS an outside corner and it sucks that the mothballs got to his brain.

In short, the infusion of young ballhawking talent is great, and I'm glad Tomlin and Co. realized the need for it in the post-Ike era, but Cortez Allen might be the real key to this secondary making any strides this season. I think the Steelers still believe in him (maybe due to all that money) and are optimistic that he'll return to form.

polamalubeast
05-05-2015, 02:31 PM
The pass defense will be the key for the steelers in 2015, especially than the steelers will play against better QB.

Last year, the Steelers have played against two QB who is in the top 10 (Brees and Luck) and Brees has had 5 TD pass and 35 points for the saints and Luck has had 400 yards and 34 points for the colts...Even in the playoffs, Flacco has had a big game against the Steelers, especially in 3rd down

But i think the pass defense could be better if some young players and Allen have a positive impact

hawaiiansteeler
05-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Steelers Tried to Trade for Trae Waynes

Updated May 6, 2015
By Charlie Campbell

Entering the 2015 NFL Draft, one of the popular projections for the Pittsburgh Steelers was having them take a cornerback in the first round. It made sense, as corner has been a need position for years. Many were projecting the Steelers to take Wake Forest cornerback Kevin Johnson, but Johnson didn't make to Pittsburgh pick after he was snatched up by the Texans at No. 16. Pittsburgh ended up taking Kentucky outside linebacker Bud Dupree with the 22nd-overall selection to help upgrade their pass rush. While the Steelers didn't take a corner in the first round, it wasn't from a lack of trying. Sources from around the league told us that the Steelers were calling teams to see about a trade, and their target was Michigan State cornerback Trae Waynes.

Pittsburgh was calling teams to gauge what it would take to get them to move down. The Steelers weren't willing to give up a huge amount of picks, and Waynes ended up going to the Vikings with the 11th-overall pick. Moving into the top 10 was too costly for the Steelers. Leading up to the draft ,they were calling teams to prepare a potential move, but with Waynes not sliding into the teens, Pittsburgh was never close to accomplishing a trade.

The Steelers ended up selecting Ole Miss cornerback Senquez Golson in the second round. Sources say that Golson projects as a nickel corner, and they feel that Pittsburgh will still be looking for some starting outside corners next year. The 5-foot-8 Golson doesn't project as a corner who can match up against Cincinnati's A.J. Green (6-4, 207), given Green's height advantage. Fourth-round pick Doran Grant (5-10, 200) could also compete for playing time for the Steelers, but he isn't the tall length corner that the Steelers were targeting in the first round with Waynes (6-0, 186) or Johnson (6-0, 188).

The Steelers have received a lot of praise for landing Dupree at No. 22m as many projected Dupree to go in the top half of the first round. However, Pittsburgh's plan A was moving up to get Waynes.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

teegre
05-06-2015, 01:02 PM
Steelers Tried to Trade for Trae Waynes

Updated May 6, 2015
By Charlie Campbell

Entering the 2015 NFL Draft, one of the popular projections for the Pittsburgh Steelers was having them take a cornerback in the first round. It made sense, as corner has been a need position for years. Many were projecting the Steelers to take Wake Forest cornerback Kevin Johnson, but Johnson didn't make to Pittsburgh pick after he was snatched up by the Texans at No. 16. Pittsburgh ended up taking Kentucky outside linebacker Bud Dupree with the 22nd-overall selection to help upgrade their pass rush. While the Steelers didn't take a corner in the first round, it wasn't from a lack of trying. Sources from around the league told us that the Steelers were calling teams to see about a trade, and their target was Michigan State cornerback Trae Waynes.

Pittsburgh was calling teams to gauge what it would take to get them to move down. The Steelers weren't willing to give up a huge amount of picks, and Waynes ended up going to the Vikings with the 11th-overall pick. Moving into the top 10 was too costly for the Steelers. Leading up to the draft ,they were calling teams to prepare a potential move, but with Waynes not sliding into the teens, Pittsburgh was never close to accomplishing a trade.

The Steelers ended up selecting Ole Miss cornerback Senquez Golson in the second round. Sources say that Golson projects as a nickel corner, and they feel that Pittsburgh will still be looking for some starting outside corners next year. The 5-foot-8 Golson doesn't project as a corner who can match up against Cincinnati's A.J. Green (6-4, 207), given Green's height advantage. Fourth-round pick Doran Grant (5-10, 200) could also compete for playing time for the Steelers, but he isn't the tall length corner that the Steelers were targeting in the first round with Waynes (6-0, 186) or Johnson (6-0, 188).

The Steelers have received a lot of praise for landing Dupree at No. 22m as many projected Dupree to go in the top half of the first round. However, Pittsburgh's plan A was moving up to get Waynes.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php

I'd rather have Dupree AND Golson AND Coates AND Grant... than ONLY having Waynes.

If Waynes were the second-coming of Rod Woodson, I'd approve of that trade. But, he's not.

Steelman
05-06-2015, 01:25 PM
Umm, and not Marcus Peters!?

I'm surprised if they liked Waynes that much, and wanted an outside corner that badly, that they wouldn't consider trading up a few picks for Johnson or even Peters, since most boards had those top three very closely ranked. Waynes only topped out due to his nicer 40-time at the combine.

The Chargers trading up ahead of the Texans was what set the corner run in motion. I think Houston would have taken Gordon if he was available. I didn't see the Chiefs looking at a corner that high, but we would have most likely had a choice of Johnson or Peters if SD hadn't traded up.

hawaiiansteeler
05-06-2015, 05:19 PM

Dennard was claimed today by the Arizona Cardinals...

Rotorhead
05-06-2015, 05:34 PM
I guess that answers that question lol

Count Steeler
05-06-2015, 06:12 PM
Dennard was claimed today by the Arizona Cardinals...

Ahh, he took the express route. No stopover in Pittsburgh.

hawaiiansteeler
05-06-2015, 11:51 PM
Teresa Varley ‏@Teresa_Varley May 2 -

Good to have @sammiecoates11 & @Quez_G here today. Welcome aboard. #Steelers

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CECCr3UVEAAFoqT.jpg

fansince'76
05-07-2015, 12:12 AM
They're stepping on the logo! :chuckle: I remember when I toured HF a few years ago, we were asked specifically not to step on it.

tube517
05-07-2015, 04:27 AM

First, how come they don't get the tour like Dupree got?

Second, Coates looks like he is 6'5" or Senquez looks like he is Dri Archer :chuckle:

Third, I thought they removed the pool tables from the locker room....

stillers4me
05-07-2015, 04:28 PM
Not again. Last time we took a Patriots "cut", he walked off on us and rejoined the Pats.

That's because our balls are too hard.

stillers4me
05-07-2015, 04:52 PM
Ahh, he took the express route. No stopover in Pittsburgh.

:lol:

hawaiiansteeler
05-07-2015, 06:48 PM
That's because our balls are too hard.

sounds painful...

hawaiiansteeler
05-14-2015, 01:17 AM
Who Exactly Is B.W. Webb?

By Lucas Campbell
May 13, 2015

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/who-exactly-is-b-w-webb/

GBMelBlount
05-14-2015, 07:32 AM
The corners are only as good as the pass rush. Better pass rush equals better corner play and more turnovers. It's as simple as that.

This

86WARD
05-14-2015, 08:50 AM
Cortez Allen is the key. If he can rebound...this defense could be really good. If he can't...this defense could be really bad.

vrabinec
05-14-2015, 12:33 PM

Coates just got married and he's already got a little boy? Wow, that was fast.

st33lersguy
05-15-2015, 09:52 AM
I think Stephon Tuitt can really improve (heck he improved as his rookie season went on). If He and Heyward are playing at a high level that will improve the defense itself, plus if Shazier can stay healthy he has the speed and showed in college that he can be a dynamic playmaker. I think those two improving (which is certainly reasonable to think they will) will make the defense better.

Count Steeler
05-15-2015, 06:25 PM
I think Stephon Tuitt can really improve (heck he improved as his rookie season went on). If He and Heyward are playing at a high level that will improve the defense itself, plus if Shazier can stay healthy he has the speed and showed in college that he can be a dynamic playmaker. I think those two improving (which is certainly reasonable to think they will) will make the defense better.

And I am still hoping Cortez has worked out whatever was wrong last year.

86WARD
05-15-2015, 07:51 PM
And I am still hoping Cortez has worked out whatever was wrong last year.

I think we all are and I think if he did...or does, it will make a WORLD of difference on this defense...