PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' sixth-round pick could start new trend

Lady Steel
05-05-2015, 12:39 AM
Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel formed the best 3-4 defensive line in the NFL for many years. They helped turn the Steelers into the league’s No. 1 defense several times, collected two Super Bowl rings each and only once fell out of the top three against the run.

They were so good for so long that fans and others became spoiled, nearly as they were with the great Steel Curtain of the 1970s.

“You are talking about fans and other people — I was spoiled,” said John Mitchell, their defensive line coach since 1994. “How often do you get a Casey Hampton, Brett Keisel, and Aaron Smith who play for you for 10 or more years? I was spoiled.

“It made my job very easy. I was spoiled. That doesn’t happen. You guys write about sports. How many teams can you write about that had three guys that played that well for that long of a period of time year in and year out? It made my job easy.”

The release of Keisel in March completed the breakup of that line. The Steelers added what might become a new member of the new group when they drafted Leterrius “L.T.” Walton in the sixth round Saturday from Central Michigan. He will add depth at defensive end if he makes the 53-man roster and while he is a late-round pick from a less-powerful conference, it is the school and round that brought the Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown.

At 6 feet 5, 319 pounds, Walton also could play inside for them in their passing defenses.

“I feel like I’m a versatile player,” said Walton, who played tackle in Central Michigan’s 4-3 defense. “I feel comfortable playing inside, outside, or whatever’s best for the team I’m able to do.”

While Mitchell seemed generally excited about Walton, he also looked forward to coaching a defensive line he predicted could become the equal of his old one. The new line isn’t all that new because end Cam Heyward and nose tackle Steve McLendon have started the past two years. End Stephon Tuitt and massive backup tackle Daniel McCullers joined them in 2014 through the draft.

“I’m looking for that. I think we are going to have that here again,” Mitchell said. “We are still a little young. Cam Heyward is going to be a heck of a football player. I think Tuitt’s best football is ahead of him. I think Steven McLendon is a guy that stayed in here, worked hard day in and day out. We cut him about four times. He had a never-say-never attitude.

“I think the same thing with Dan McCullers. ... He’s in great shape right now, he understands what we are going to do and he’s here. I’m excited about this football team. I’m excited about the defensive line.”

The Steelers kept Cam Thomas, who signed as an unrestricted free agent in 2014 and can play nose tackle or end. They re-signed veteran end Clifton Geathers, who came aboard late after a season-ending injury to Keisel, at Mitchell’s request.

Although the NFL has become a passing league, Mitchell believes his defensive line must do one thing first above all others.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/05/05/Steelers-sixth-round-pick/stories/201505050079

Pappy
05-05-2015, 01:42 PM
Obviously, we need to stop the run first and make teams one dimensional. That's when you can make special plays on defense. Always has been our motto and it's never going to change for good reason.

Count Steeler
05-05-2015, 06:41 PM
The Steelers kept Cam Thomas,

Why? Thanks, but no thanks.