PDA

View Full Version : Sammie Coates Brings Needed Depth To Crucial WR Position

polamalubeast
05-04-2015, 12:48 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05/sammie-coates-brings-needed-depth-to-crucial-wr-position/

hawaiiansteeler
05-05-2015, 10:01 PM
In good hands: Newest Steeler Sammie Coates has so much to offer

Sammie Coates has an idea. At some point, with a chunk of the NFL money he is bound to make because he is fast (a 4.43-second 40 at the combine), explosive (41-inch vertical jump), strong enough to toss a jamming cornerback onto the sideline (23 bench-press reps at 225 pounds, best among receivers) and proficient enough at catching footballs, Coates wants to start an organization. He wants to reach into communities like Leroy, Ala., the no-stoplight dot-on-a-map where he spent his formative years, and he wants to help kids who've lost a parent. The former Auburn receiver lost his father in November 2003, when Sammie was 10 and in fifth grade. Sammie Coates Sr. was killed in a car crash while driving to one of his two jobs, but his son also understands that some parents disappear without leaving this mortal coil. He wants to help those kids as well.

Foremost, Coates, 21, wants to tell kids, It's going to be O.K. He wants them to know that they can do great things. After his father died, he didn't have anyone to offer such assurance. He wants those lost souls to know that they can build their own lives, piece by piece. They need only follow his advice.

1. Find a friend; make him a brother

to read rest of story:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/01/2015-nfl-draft-sammie-coates-auburn-inspirations

Lady Steel
05-05-2015, 11:03 PM
In good hands: Newest Steeler Sammie Coates has so much to offer

Sammie Coates has an idea. At some point, with a chunk of the NFL money he is bound to make because he is fast (a 4.43-second 40 at the combine), explosive (41-inch vertical jump), strong enough to toss a jamming cornerback onto the sideline (23 bench-press reps at 225 pounds, best among receivers) and proficient enough at catching footballs, Coates wants to start an organization. He wants to reach into communities like Leroy, Ala., the no-stoplight dot-on-a-map where he spent his formative years, and he wants to help kids who've lost a parent. The former Auburn receiver lost his father in November 2003, when Sammie was 10 and in fifth grade. Sammie Coates Sr. was killed in a car crash while driving to one of his two jobs, but his son also understands that some parents disappear without leaving this mortal coil. He wants to help those kids as well.

Foremost, Coates, 21, wants to tell kids, It's going to be O.K. He wants them to know that they can do great things. After his father died, he didn't have anyone to offer such assurance. He wants those lost souls to know that they can build their own lives, piece by piece. They need only follow his advice.

1. Find a friend; make him a brother

to read rest of story:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/05/01/2015-nfl-draft-sammie-coates-auburn-inspirations

Sammie seems like a fine young man. Thanks for posting his inspirational story, Hawaii.

stillers4me
05-06-2015, 05:40 AM
Hawaii, if you don't mind, I'm going to post this story as a separate thread....very worthy story and I don't want our friends to miss it being buried in another thread! It's ok to do that here when an article can stand on it's own merits....all our threads in this forum automatically hit our twitter feed so many, many others can link to SU and enjoy the story.

I enjoy this time of year and learning the stories of all the new Steelers. It looks like Sammie is a Steelers kind of guy and if he does well, will be a fan favorite.

And thanks for posting it!

steelreserve
05-06-2015, 11:14 AM
Well, this is certainly a better off-the-field asipration than smoking hella weed and getting into 3 a.m. nightclub altercations with shots fired.

Rotorhead
05-07-2015, 12:00 PM
Nice read and good for him to be thinking of more than himself. I hope he does well with our team. He looks like a beast, maybe another Larry Fitz or Boldin type player I am hoping.