PDA

View Full Version : Who will the Steelers target on Day 3?

Lady Steel
05-02-2015, 01:11 AM
Ohio State's Doran Grant or USC's Josh Shaw are the top corners still available. That position has once again been picked over pretty hard, but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Steelers make a move to go up in the fourth round to get one of them.

Other targets could include Penn State's Jesse James or South Alabama's Wes Saxton at tight end, Georgia Tech center/guard Shaq Mason and Clemson defensive end Corey Crawford or Kristjan Sokoli of Buffalo.

The Steelers also could target a safety since Will Allen isn't getting any younger. James Sample of Louisville and Ibraheim of Northwestern are the top strong safety types available. One guy to keep an eye on, though is UCLA's Anthony Jefferson.

At free safety, there are some interesting guys still out there. Cody Prewitt, who played with Golson at Ole Miss is a solid centerfielder type and Penn State's Adrian Amos also is still on the board.

Derron Smith of Fresno also is a guy who had 15 career interceptions in college.

There also are a couple of interesting small college outside linebackers available in Davis Tull of Chattanooga and Kyle Emmanuel of North Dakota State, though I don't know the Steelers will take another outside linebacker unless the value is just too great to pass on.

I'm hearing that CFL product Shawn Lemon is just a guy so a special teams ace could find a spot.

http://burgh.us/sfr

Steelman
05-02-2015, 01:29 AM
Dang, I just did a post about the same thing. I shoulda waited for Dale to do the work. :lol:

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2015, 01:33 AM
there are still a lot of very good players available...

pepsyman1
05-02-2015, 01:34 AM
I'd just assume take a chance on someone who was injured but might have a big upside like Ifo EkPre-Olomu. Some of the tape on him looks really good and he was highly rated til he got injured. He appears to have all the tools.

steelreserve
05-02-2015, 02:03 AM
The third and fourth rounds are where it's smart to move up or trade for an extra pick. There are still some good players and the cost of moving up isn't a backbreaker like in rounds 1-2. And after about the fourth round, you almost might as well just wait and see who falls to you. If we have a second corner in our plans, high in the fourth is where we'll have our best chance of getting anyone with much chance of making an impact.

teegre
05-02-2015, 03:02 AM
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

I know that he may NEVER play football again, but he's worth risking a Day 3 pick.

Now... when? If you take him too early, you're wasting a pick. But, if you wait too long, you just know that either the Taperiots or Ravens will snatch him up.

Drazo85
05-02-2015, 05:12 AM
Am i the only one who is genuinely concerned for our DL depth (5 technique). We are an injury away from starting Cam Thomas. And we all know what that means.

Steeldude
05-02-2015, 07:43 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if they picked a WR again.

Steeldude
05-02-2015, 07:57 AM
Tull(OLB) and Clemmings(OT) are still out there.

Perhaps Ekpre-Olomu? Didn't Colbert say later picks are basically just camp bodies? If he likes to waste picks then why not use it on Ekpre-Olomu?

vader29
05-02-2015, 08:02 AM

:chuckle:

Drazo85
05-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is practicaly a Senquez Golson clone. Can someone, please, explain me, why he would be a great pick (first rounder problably without an injury) for Steelers and Golson isnt?

Mojouw
05-02-2015, 08:36 AM
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is practicaly a Senquez Golson clone. Can someone, please, explain me, why he would be a great pick (first rounder problably without an injury) for Steelers and Golson isnt?

Woah. Woah. Logic and reason has little place on a football message board!

:lol:

Steeldude
05-02-2015, 08:48 AM

Because Ekpre-Olomu would be picked in the 5th round, not the 2nd round. No one said he would be a great pick in the early rounds(At least I don't think anyone said that). Yes, before the injury he was a 1st round prospect. Grabbing him in the 5th round wouldn't be the most awful thing to happen.

teegre
05-02-2015, 09:05 AM

It's all about the hyphens, baby.

Drazo85
05-02-2015, 09:27 AM
Because Ekpre-Olomu would be picked in the 5th round, not the 2nd round. No one said he would be a great pick in the early rounds(At least I don't think anyone said that). Yes, before the injury he was a 1st round prospect. Grabbing him in the 5th round wouldn't be the most awful thing to happen.
My question was simple. Before injury IEO was a first rounder.
Golson isnt. They have same size, same production, they excelled at major college conferences.
Why IEO who isnt going to play a down in 2015. and possibly ever is great addition (no matter round where he would be picked), and his clone in second isnt, and he can step up immediately.
I understand value, and all that, but we are stuck with Golson now, and i cant justify picking his injured clone, no matter what round are we talking about.
Pick someone who can help us right now, cause we can't afford any more luxury picks.

ALLD
05-02-2015, 09:53 AM
I bet on a 3-legged horse in the Kentucky Derby and lost. Why didn't I use more common sense? I thought I was smarter than everybody else betting on a 40-1 shot.

JayC
05-02-2015, 09:56 AM
4th round - fastest kick returner available
5th round - 4th string qb
6th round - offensive lineman that can play all 3 positions
7th round - tight end that makes the practice squad

Steeldude
05-02-2015, 10:51 AM
4th round - fastest kick returner available
5th round - 4th string qb
6th round - offensive lineman that can play all 3 positions
7th round - tight end that makes the practice squad

They picked up the fastest KR in last year's draft. I don't think it's a good idea to draft another.

If they draft a QB it better be to fill the 3rd string spot at the least.

I agree with the OL and TE. However, I would prefer an O-lineman who can excel at tackle rather than being average at all 3 spots.

teegre
05-02-2015, 11:02 AM
1. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

2. The Louisville secondary
Charles Gaines, CB
Gerod Holliman, FS
James Sample, SS

Steeldude
05-02-2015, 11:09 AM
My question was simple. Before injury IEO was a first rounder.
Golson isnt. They have same size, same production, they excelled at major college conferences.
Why IEO who isnt going to play a down in 2015. and possibly ever is great addition (no matter round where he would be picked), and his clone in second isnt, and he can step up immediately.
I understand value, and all that, but we are stuck with Golson now, and i cant justify picking his injured clone, no matter what round are we talking about.
Pick someone who can help us right now, cause we can't afford any more luxury picks.

It depends on what is out there when they pick. I wouldn't exactly say he's Golson's clone. IEO is much heavier, faster and stronger(well before the injury he was faster). It's not like I care if he is picked or not. I was merely saying a few big names that are out there.

I doubt any CB picked in the later rounds is going to help this year. Golson might not even see the field all year. You know how the Steelers love to sit rookies for 2 or more years. Regardless of who they pick, do you think they will help right now?

Picking injured players isn't always a bad thing. Remember Greg Lloyd? Two ACL injuries in college. He sat out his rookie season and most of the following year. What if they can pick IEO in the 6th or later?

stillers4me
05-02-2015, 11:11 AM
I fully expect to pick another CB. We seem to do well with picking WR's in the later rounds and finding diamonds in the rough. CB seems to be the elusive gem...throwing spaghetti against the wall to see what will stick and watching the goo fall to the floor.

Drazo85
05-02-2015, 11:53 AM
It depends on what is out there when they pick. I wouldn't exactly say he's Golson's clone. IEO is much heavier, faster and stronger(well before the injury he was faster). It's not like I care if he is picked or not. I was merely saying a few big names that are out there.

I doubt any CB picked in the later rounds is going to help this year. Golson might not even see the field all year. You know how the Steelers love to sit rookies for 2 or more years. Regardless of who they pick, do you think they will help right now?

Picking injured players isn't always a bad thing. Remember Greg Lloyd? Two ACL injuries in college. He sat out his rookie season and most of the following year. What if they can pick IEO in the 6th or later?

I like to think that the player they pick would help right now. If Cortez would continue to suck or someone is injured Golson would have to step up, cause there isnt anyone else remaining. Redshirt IEO, im fine with it, dont get me wrong. But people here dont like the Golson pick, but would like IEO who isnt (in my opinion) that much better. As i stated in this thread earlier, we are one injury away from starting Cam Thomas. And for me, that is a disaster. I know Steelers used to redshirt defensive players during LeBeau tenure, but i hope that would change with Butler. They cant afford to redshirt guys if they can contribute in secondary or accros the D-line. This is only my opinion, or to say better my hopes that something would change and the Steelers would get immediate contribution from their draft picks.

ALLD
05-02-2015, 12:32 PM
After the 2nd CB we still need one more pass rusher, OL, P & one more CB.

teegre
05-02-2015, 12:33 PM
R5: Gerod Holliman, FS, Louiseville

Drazo85
05-02-2015, 12:45 PM
Michael Bennet DT Ohio State
Gerod Holliman FS
Grady Jarret DT Clemson
Davis Tull OLB Chatanooga
Jesse James TE Penn State
David Cobb RB Minnesotta
Cody Prewitt FS Mississipi
Derron Smith FS Fresno State
Lorenzo Doss CB Tulane
Christian Covington DE Rice

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2015, 12:46 PM
R5: Jesse James TE Penn St

ALLD
05-02-2015, 12:49 PM
I say they go with Bennet or James if available because of hometown kid. I would be shocked if they took another CB next, but one is still needed.

teegre
05-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville
Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville
Kurtis Drummond, S, Michigan St.
Michael Bennett, DE, Ohio St.
Lynden Trail, OLB, Norfolk
Quinton Spain, OG, WVU
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

(Trail is the biggest project, but worth the risk.)

JayC
05-02-2015, 02:46 PM
They should go for Ifo. He was a first round prospect before the injury even though he's 5'9. It's the 6th round and whoever they pick would probably get cut anyways. Show some balls

Psycho Ward 86
05-02-2015, 03:54 PM
Ifo is STILL there. i dont care how bad that ACL injury was. That is more than worth the risk of burning a late round pick.

teegre
05-02-2015, 04:11 PM
Ifo is STILL there. i dont care how bad that ACL injury was. That is more than worth the risk of burning a late round pick.

THIS!!!

ALLD
05-02-2015, 04:25 PM
I don't think any team wants to pay his medical bills for rehab.

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2015, 04:57 PM
R7: Gerod Holliman, FS, Louiseville

there, fixed that for you...:wink02:

tube517
05-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Gerod Holliman, FS, Louisville
Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville
Kurtis Drummond, S, Michigan St.
Michael Bennett, DE, Ohio St.
Lynden Trail, OLB, Norfolk
Quinton Spain, OG, WVU
Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

(Trail is the biggest project, but worth the risk.)
Been busy with a family emergency. Did Trail get drafted?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Drazo85
05-02-2015, 10:29 PM
Been busy with a family emergency. Did Trail get drafted?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

No, he didnt.
He signed with Texans as UDFA.

tube517
05-03-2015, 12:42 AM
No, he didnt.
He signed with Texans as UDFA.

Boooooooo! But happy he has a shot. Local kid.