PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Select WR Sammie Coates With Their 3rd Round Pick (87) In 2015 NFL Draft

86WARD
05-01-2015, 09:52 PM
With the 87th overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft the Steelers select Auburn WR Sammie Coates.

Draft Profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/sammie-coates?id=2552470

Merchant
05-01-2015, 09:53 PM
Must be a 'best player available' mindset with the FO since we're stacked at WR.

st33lersguy
05-01-2015, 09:53 PM
We need a free safety, we still need a CB that isn't a dwarf, let's get a no. 4 WR!

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2015, 09:54 PM
Coates is a great value in the 3rd round! :thumbsup:

Iron Steeler
05-01-2015, 09:56 PM
This is stupid

steelerdude15
05-01-2015, 09:57 PM

You know, he seems to have some good upside. He seems to be raw, but with some good coaching, he might turn out to be a pretty good receiver.

It also makes me wonder what the team thinks of Marcus Wheaton.

teegre
05-01-2015, 09:58 PM

Yep.
Yesterday, Mayock' said he'd be a R1 pick, but he has poor hands. Mike Walkace, part II.

Drazo85
05-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Steelers drafted replacement for Ike and his hands of stone.

teegre
05-01-2015, 10:00 PM
You know, he seems to have some good upside. He seems to be raw, but with some good coaching, he might turn out to be a pretty good receiver.

It also makes me wonder what the team thinks of Marcus Wheaton.

Indeed... and, indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Steelers drafted replacement for Ike and his hands of stone.

:rofl2:

JayC
05-01-2015, 10:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQSLHilAGo8

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

polamalubeast
05-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Yep.
Yesterday, Mayock' said he'd be a R1 pick, but he has poor hands. Mike Walkace, part II.

Not forget than Wallace was a very good receiver in the first 3 years with the steelers

salamander
05-01-2015, 10:02 PM
Not happy with this pick. A WR with stone hands? Yay. :ranger:

teegre
05-01-2015, 10:04 PM
Mel just said the EXACT same thing that Mayock said yesterday: "Would have been a R1 pick... but, poor hands."

- - - Updated - - -

Not forget than Wallace was a very good receiver in the first 3 years with the steelers

Don't get me wrong: l'm one of the few who like Wallace.

Four years, 32 TDs. I'll take that again.

86WARD
05-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Sweed? But can he block like Sweed?

Iron Steeler
05-01-2015, 10:11 PM
Our defense is gonna suck this year

Steelman
05-01-2015, 10:14 PM
Has potential, but BAD pick. I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

Hard to believe that they liked Coates that much over the guys immediately drafted after him, namely Danielle Hunter, Carl Davis, Henry Anderson, Jeff Heuerman, or Matt Jones.

Damnit Colbert.

EDIT: Another DAMMIT. There goes Steven Nelson.

teegre
05-01-2015, 10:14 PM
NFL Network compared him to Bryant.

Size, speed, questionable hands

Rotorhead
05-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Well, I would have preferred a TE or 2nd CB, but at least we got an OLB and CB in the first 2 rnds. Hopefully the CB can get some TOs and make some plays for us.

teegre
05-01-2015, 10:15 PM
Has potential, but BAD pick. I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

Hard to believe that they Coates that much over the guys immediately drafted after him, namely Danielle Hunter, Carl Davis, Henry Anderson, Jeff Heuerman, or Matt Jones.

That is the only part that gets me: I liked all of those players.

Psycho Ward 86
05-01-2015, 10:20 PM
ugh...wish we got steve nelson

stillers4me
05-01-2015, 10:23 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Steeltreal
05-01-2015, 10:24 PM
Solid pick, your one injury away from having Heyward Bey starting

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2015, 10:28 PM
interesting, all three of the Steelers first 3 selections are from the SEC...

teegre
05-01-2015, 10:30 PM

Thats funny :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

That's not. :no:

katmandu
05-01-2015, 10:38 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L0SVbaC_T4<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L0SVbaC_T4" target="_blank">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L0SVbaC_T4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L0SVbaC_T4)

Well, he certainly is FAST and he appears fairly tough on film...

86WARD
05-01-2015, 10:44 PM
A clone of Martavis Bryant?

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2015, 10:48 PM

Alex Kozora @Alex_Kozora -

Remember that the Steelers ran 11 personnel over 64% of the time last year. One injury and DHB is the #4. Why WR is important to them.

https://twitter.com/Alex_Kozora

Steelman
05-01-2015, 10:49 PM

No joke. It's like deja vu.

I think Coates is a little stronger, but they seem very similar. I don't hate the player, but for a third round pick with who was on the board is frustrating as hell. I think they wanted PJ and then when Carter was picked they panicked. I dunno.

I recall watching Coates against Alabama maybe? and he was a monster. Has potential for sure. I sure hope he turns out to be good.

steelreserve
05-01-2015, 10:56 PM

Is there a rule against cloning? Why not just do that and save the third-round pick for something else.

GBMelBlount
05-01-2015, 11:02 PM
interesting, all three of the Steelers first 3 selections are from the SEC...

Hopefully they don't all SUC. :chuckle:

Lady Steel
05-02-2015, 12:03 AM
I always thought Sammie was the spelling of a nickname for a girl named Samantha. :huh:

Welcome to Pittsburgh, Sammie! :tt02:

Mojouw
05-02-2015, 12:11 AM
I love the whole "panicked" concept. Does anyone really think this is how it goes:

Colbert - So Jalen Collins in round 2?
Draft Room - Yes. No doubt. That's the pick.
Colbert - So, no need to plan out other scenarios or a contingency? We're good betting it all on one guy, right?
Draft Room- Absolutely.
Colbert - SO.....our guy is gone. What now?
Draft Room - throw darts...pick a name out of a hat...Light the building on fire....

C'mon. These guys have this shit planned out six ways to Sunday. Just because we don't like the plan, doesn't mean that we can say there was NO plan.

fansince'76
05-02-2015, 12:14 AM
I love the whole "panicked" concept. Does anyone really think this is how it goes:

Colbert - So, no need to plan out other scenarios or a contingency? We're good betting it all on one guy, right?
Draft Room- Absolutely.
Draft Room - throw darts...pick a name out of a hat...Light the building on fire....

C'mon. These guys have this shit planned out six ways to Sunday. Just because we don't like the plan, doesn't mean that we can say there was NO plan.

I know - it kills me. These guys do this FOR A LIVING. They don't come to the war room to play with themselves and half-ass it.

Steelman
05-02-2015, 12:21 AM

Draft Room- Absolutely.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I'm sure they like Coates and was probably one of the highest remaining on their board. What gets my goat is out of all the presumed Day Two corners and other really good defensive players that were available, they come away with Senquez Golson and Sammie Coates. That's not a knock on Golson, I like him as I've detailed elsewhere, but a knock on the Steelers drafting strategy on Day Two in general.

I don't believe it's all draft position and shitty luck. BPA works extremely well in the 1st round. On Day Two, especially nearing the end of round 3, I think you gotta go get your guy. I don't believe Coates was their guy, just an upside guy after the last two good corners were taken.

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2015, 12:24 AM
3(87) Pittsburgh Steelers: Sammie Coates, WR, Auburn: A Grade

Man, I've correctly mocked all three positions to the Steelers, but I've had the wrong players. I love this pick though, as the Steelers are selecting another talented player who dropped into their lap. Sammie Coates easily could've gone in the second round, but dropped because he, well, drops a lot of passes. That's something that can be coached up. Coates' athleticism, on the other hand, cannot. He has major bust potential, but his ceiling is extremely high.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftgrades3.php#lm4kSQisf48sB0CU.99

fansince'76
05-02-2015, 12:26 AM
I've warmed up to the Coates pick, actually. I mean, look at the alternative...

http://imgick.pennlive.com/home/penn-media/width620/img/sports_impact/photo/17363944-mmmain.jpg

Mojouw
05-02-2015, 12:34 AM
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I'm sure they like Coates and was probably one of the highest remaining on their board. What gets my goat is out of all the presumed Day Two corners and other really good defensive players that were available, they come away with Senquez Golson and Sammie Coates. That's not a knock on Golson, I like him as I've detailed elsewhere, but a knock on the Steelers drafting strategy on Day Two in general.

I don't believe it's all draft position and shitty luck. BPA works extremely well in the 1st round. On Day Two, especially nearing the end of round 3, I think you gotta go get your guy. I don't believe Coates was their guy, just an upside guy after the last two good corners were taken.

Totally being sarcastic. Like I said in another thread, under Cowher and Colbert, the Steelers took guys with a high # of starts and production from big time programs. Under Tomlin and Colbert they take guys with at least one "tool" that breaks the charts.

They had Coates in for a visit - they have been on this guy from early in the process. He has always been on their board. Does anyone really doubt this team when it comes to WRs anymore? Sure. Go ahead. Say "SWEED". Fine. I'll take Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Bryant, Wheaton, and now Coates.

As to Maxx Williams. Who does he comp to in the NFL? Kyle Rudolph? Big deal. You can find guys like that later. Maybe they have it in Branchflower already, I don't know, i don't go to practice. But, me, I'll take the guy who has some physical tools that very few in the draft have. Look at Coates tape, look at his combine #'s. They comp to guys that went in the first round. He went in the third.

Maybe a CB that ends up being slightly above league average helps in 2015. But how does he help long-term? You build a roster by gambling on elite talents. Were any of the corners available anywhere near Coates potential?

TD's & Beer
05-02-2015, 12:48 AM
'At 6'1 and 212 pounds, Coates is a big-bodied receiver who will prove a tough cover in the NFL. At the NFL Combine in February, Coates showed his tantalizing physical talent. He ran a 4.43-second 40-yard dash before posting the top marks at his position on the bench press with 23 reps of 225 pounds, a 41-inch vertical jump, a 131-inch broad jump and a 4.06-second 20-yard shuttle.

So what are the drawbacks with Coates? His hands are made of granite. Coates often finds himself open and then inexplicably drops the football, leaving fans to groan.'

The range of outcomes on Coates is wide. A dominant physical talent with poor ball skills, Coates dropped 8-of-75 targets in 2014 and has a floor in the Cordarrelle Patterson-Stephen Hill range. Working in Coates' favor is a relentless work ethic and ability to outrun coverage. The 22-year-old is a boom-or-bust prospect.

Tie him to the jugs machine

Lady Steel
05-02-2015, 12:55 AM
Transcript: Sammie Coates conference call

Steelers Third Round Pick, wide receiver Sammie Coates, spoke to reporters following his selection in the Third Round.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Transcript-Sammie-Coates-conference-call/b2f7a8b0-414c-41cd-82b8-76216af05bf1

Lady Steel
05-02-2015, 01:02 AM
Transcript: Richard Mann on WR Sammie Coates

Steelers wide receivers coach Richard Mann talks about Third Round pick, Auburn wide receiver Sammie Coates

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Transcript-Richard-Mann-on-WR-Sammie-Coates/23dbc27a-e2b5-48c4-9139-075c2810a6bd

Craic
05-02-2015, 02:39 AM
Here's my thoughts . . .

He's strong. Very strong, it seems. That means he's not afraid of spending time in the gym . . . time = dedication. The balls into his body, he caught with his hands from what I could see of the previous video, not with his body. So, I think it just may be a situation where this kid gets sat in front of the Jugs machine for three hours a day and catches 500 or so balls each day for six months. Then really gets me, is that he's a kid that maybe'll do it. And if he is . . . wow.

steelreserve
05-02-2015, 02:53 AM
Totally being sarcastic. Like I said in another thread, under Cowher and Colbert, the Steelers took guys with a high # of starts and production from big time programs. Under Tomlin and Colbert they take guys with at least one "tool" that breaks the charts.

They had Coates in for a visit - they have been on this guy from early in the process. He has always been on their board. Does anyone really doubt this team when it comes to WRs anymore? Sure. Go ahead. Say "SWEED". Fine. I'll take Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Bryant, Wheaton, and now Coates.

As to Maxx Williams. Who does he comp to in the NFL? Kyle Rudolph? Big deal. You can find guys like that later. Maybe they have it in Branchflower already, I don't know, i don't go to practice. But, me, I'll take the guy who has some physical tools that very few in the draft have. Look at Coates tape, look at his combine #'s. They comp to guys that went in the first round. He went in the third.

Maybe a CB that ends up being slightly above league average helps in 2015. But how does he help long-term? You build a roster by gambling on elite talents. Were any of the corners available anywhere near Coates potential?

These are all really good points, and I guess after drinking some beers and hearing it out, I've come down off the ledge. After all, we've taken who we've taken, and you can't go back and un-draft people, so the only thing to do is hope our guys turn out well.

I do like that each one of the three so far really excels in at least one area. Better to have a team that's well-rounded as a whole than a bunch of well-rounded individual players. It's a bold move, but if last year's draft is any indicator, you really can knock it out of the park in some unexpected ways sometimes. Or you can also end up with Dri Archer.

The bolded part, though - I wonder. I think a guy who could help us in 2015 is super-valuable. We're a good team with two fatal problems, pressure and coverage. We were 11-5, but I don't consider it a "real" 11-5 (as in seriously competing for championships) unless we fix that. But in the grand scheme, it's not a lot to fix. We did some to address both of them, but there was still room for more improvement, especially at corner. Another slightly above league-average guy would really help a lot there. It's not unprecedented. The 49ers in 1981 went for broke and drafted three DBs in the first three rounds, and they all turned out to be starters and they won the Super Bowl that same year. Another way we could've improved those two fatal problems would have been NT; we had a chance. There's a tendency to be gun-shy about overloading on one position in one draft, but it DOES work, and rarely have we been in a situation (since we drafted Ben) where the need at one position was so obvious. Just my $0.02

teegre
05-02-2015, 03:18 AM
Interesting fact #1:
When the Steelers go four-wide, AB will be the slowest of them.

Interesting fact #2:
NFL is comparing Coates to Bryant (fast, tall, poor hands).
Some talking head compared him to Wallce (fast, poor hands).

Should we nickname him Miktavis Wayant?... or, Martichael Bryce???

Aussie_steeler
05-02-2015, 04:39 AM
Coates is a younger, stronger replacement for DHB.

He plays special teams, strong blocker and can rip them deep. Physically he looks like a young T.O. to me. (He really isn't that much different to Perriman who went in the first, except for a fast pro-day 40 time.)

Everyone rips him for drops. His College QB is trying to get drafted as a CB.

Let him have an elite QB throw to him and then you will see what his hands are like. I say his hands will look much better in the pros.

ALLD
05-02-2015, 05:04 AM
Fortunately he does not need to grow 4 inches like our second round pick.

86WARD
05-02-2015, 06:04 AM
Is there a rule against cloning? Why not just do that and save the third-round pick for something else.

Not if New England does it. If someone else does it there will be punishments from King Goofdell.

cold-hard-steel
05-02-2015, 06:24 AM
Not happy with this pick. A WR with stone hands? Yay. :ranger:

Dude.......are you or would you be happy with any pick we make . DAMN MAN .

cold-hard-steel
05-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Where i came from we used a wide receiver as a corner in many circumstances .2 receivers going after the same ball. What is the harm? I was actually one of the wide receivers . I won many of battles for the ball.Now i'm just older and thinkin .Oh and i was only 5.8.

salamander
05-02-2015, 07:26 AM
Dude.......are you or would you be happy with any pick we make . DAMN MAN .

Actually, if you read any of my posts regarding the other 2 picks so far, you would see that I was one of the few who were actually ok with those picks. So back off.

cold-hard-steel
05-02-2015, 07:34 AM
Actually, if you read any of my posts regarding the other 2 picks so far, you would see that I was one of the few who were actually ok with those picks. So back off.

What you gettin pissed ?

Steeldude
05-02-2015, 07:40 AM
Yep.

So Wallace minus the speed. Sweet!

Just look at the negatives on his analysis...

I put the same traits Wallace displayed in bold font.

Won't be on quarterback's Christmas card list. Wasn't always on same page with Auburn QB Nick Marshall. Unreliable target. Inexplicable focus drops in all areas of the field. Doesn't play with extended catch radius. Had a drop rate of 19.1 percent. Vertical receiver without vertical feel. Inconsistent play speed. Will gear down too easily on deep routes, turning catchable touchdowns into "overthrows." Suspect ball tracking. Must improve at using body to ward off defenders. Inconsistent with contested catches. Stiff hips and limited route runner. Slow to gather and turn it upfield on catch-and-runs.

IMO, a WR in the 3rd round was a poor move.

Mojouw
05-02-2015, 08:32 AM
So here is the thing with the drops. Read Mann's comments (Steelers WR coach). Basically said that Coates' hands are fine. He wins contested balls and makes the spectacular catch. He drops some easy ones. First, Mann indicated that most prospects do that. Second, he spoke about how Coates was shuffled in and out for an offense that didn't really throw the ball that much. He felt that this led to more drops than Coates would have in another situation.

Basically, the same things that were said about Bryant. How are his hands? If you are going to get a guy with the height-size-speed #'s that Coates has outside of the first round, you are going to have to take some drawbacks.

I have to agree with Steelreserve. Coates has Archer/Sweed bust potential -- but his ceiling is Pro Bowl WR.

teegre
05-02-2015, 09:20 AM
So Wallace minus the speed. Sweet!

Just look at the negatives on his analysis...

I put the same traits Wallace displayed in bold font.

IMO, a WR in the 3rd round was a poor move.

I hear your concerns. That said...

He's actually almost as fast as Wallace; speed is Coates' main asset.

I'm not sure if he has an attitude (like Wallace); I think his QB was awful (think Kordell on his worst day). Hence, they never really clicked, which is why they weren't on the same page.

I wanted Carl Davis or Steve Nelson. But, that's what "I" wanted. Simply, they got a WR to move up the depth chart past DHB... and possibly past Wheaton.

st33lersguy
05-02-2015, 10:02 AM
In all honesty though, will a no. 4 WR provide value during the course of the season? On top of the top 3 wide receivers, one of whom will receive enough targets to keep his 5 catches for 50 yards streak alive, you have Heath Miller who who was still used as a safety valve last year, LeVeon Bell who accounts for a large chunk of touches in the offense, and recently added DeAngelo Williams who will likely earn some carries himself for his hard work. Keep in mind that last year's no. 4 wideout Lance Moore requested to be released for being used so little and had room in the offense for only 14 catches.

polamalubeast
05-02-2015, 10:39 AM
In all honesty though, will a no. 4 WR provide value during the course of the season? On top of the top 3 wide receivers, one of whom will receive enough targets to keep his 5 catches for 50 yards streak alive, you have Heath Miller who who was still used as a safety valve last year, LeVeon Bell who accounts for a large chunk of touches in the offense, and recently added DeAngelo Williams who will likely earn some carries himself for his hard work. Keep in mind that last year's no. 4 wideout Lance Moore requested to be released for being used so little and had room in the offense for only 14 catches.

If he has an injury or Bryant or Wheaton disappoint next year, this pick can be useful

teegre
05-02-2015, 10:40 AM

That is a valid question.

My answer goes like this:
When AB and Sanders were drafted, they competed every single week for a game-day jersey. That competition forged them in steel. Likewise, if Bryant, Wheaton, & Coates are jostling for the #2 spot, it makes all three better.

Better yet:
Four wide, send Bryant & Coates deep; Wheaton & AB underneath. Where does the FS go???

polamalubeast
05-02-2015, 10:44 AM
So when the last time the Steelers made a mistake for a receiver drafted in early / mid round?

It was Sweed in 2008

ETL
05-02-2015, 10:46 AM
Our defense is gonna suck this year

Really? A third round rookie defensive player was going to make or break this defense for this year?

Steeldude
05-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I hear your concerns. That said...

He's actually almost as fast as Wallace; speed is Coates' main asset.

I'm not sure if he has an attitude (like Wallace); I think his QB was awful (think Kordell on his worst day). Hence, they never really clicked, which is why they weren't on the same page.

I wanted Carl Davis or Steve Nelson. But, that's what "I" wanted. Simply, they got a WR to move up the depth chart past DHB... and possibly past Wheaton.

Good points.

The one negative that stuck out the most to me is the "Doesn't play with extended catch radius." I hate seeing WRs who can only catch with their body ala Wallace. Which, if true, negates his height.

As always, I hope for the best.

ETL
05-02-2015, 10:48 AM
Fortunately he does not need to grow 4 inches like our second round pick.

darrell green - hall of fame CB played 2 decades in the NFL .... Without growing 4 inches. (He was 5'8" tall)

teegre
05-02-2015, 10:48 AM
So when the last time the Steelers made a mistake for a receiver drafted in early / mid round?

It was Sweed in 2008

Here's the thing about the Sweed pick: I loved it so much... that if I redrafted 2008, I'd draft him again. No joke. He shoukd have been the steal of that draft.

I think 99% of Steelers fans loved that pick, too... they just won't admit it.

Alas, no one saw him breaking down (mentally).

Regardless, great point.

ETL
05-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Limas sweed problem was never his hands. It was between the ears

teegre
05-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Good points.

The one negative that stuck out the most to me is the "Doesn't play with extended catch radius." I hate seeing WRs who can only catch with their body ala Wallace. Which, if true, negates his height.

As always, I hope for the best.

So true.

That said, in the highlights (which can be misleading) he seemed to fight for contested balls. In other words, my hope is that his "limited catch radius" is when he's wide open (which still isn't good), but when he's fighting for the ball, he extends those arms.

stillers4me
05-02-2015, 10:52 AM
Coates is a younger, stronger replacement for DHB.

He plays special teams, strong blocker and can rip them deep. Physically he looks like a young T.O. to me. (He really isn't that much different to Perriman who went in the first, except for a fast pro-day 40 time.)

Everyone rips him for drops. His College QB is trying to get drafted as a CB.

Let him have an elite QB throw to him and then you will see what his hands are like. I say his hands will look much better in the pros.

Thanks for offering this perspective, Aussie! #everybodyclimbdownfromtheledge

teegre
05-02-2015, 10:57 AM
darrell green - hall of fame CB played 2 decades in the NFL .... Without growing 4 inches. (He was 5'8" tall)

So... fire Darrell Green???

- - - Updated - - -

Limas sweed problem was never his hands. It was between the ears

Yep. The Rooneys got him all sorts of counseling, but depression is a bitch.

stillers4me
05-02-2015, 11:00 AM
- - - Updated - - -

Yep. The Rooneys got him all sorts of counseling, but depression is a bitch.

Yep. We lost a couple of games and a draft pick. This young man lost a career and has to deal with this illness the rest of his life. Kudos to the Rooney's, they always do everything they can to help "family".

teegre
05-02-2015, 11:06 AM
Yep. We lost a couple of games and a draft pick. This young man lost a career and has to deal with this illness the rest of his life. Kudos to the Rooney's, they always do everything they can to help "family".

Exactly... it's why they're the best owners in the NFL: they don't see the players merely as employees; they see them as a family.

stillers4me
05-02-2015, 11:36 AM
Chidi has been researching........

ALLD
05-02-2015, 12:46 PM
A compromise because they felt obligated to pick a 4th string WR. At least it wasn't a FB or P.

stillers4me
05-02-2015, 12:47 PM
https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/11169878_10153354049454905_2675016966485852027_n.j pg?oh=19beb04b30ce365cc793be4cae496de6&oe=55E4C641

Butch
05-02-2015, 02:10 PM
A receivers job is to catch the ball regardless of who the QB is. You can have all the physical traits and athletic abilities in the world, but if you don't catch the ball what is the point. Hines didn't have speed and wasn't tall but he could catch and he had a helluva physical presence and he could catch passes from Kordel who was not exactly a stellar QB. Give me a Hines over T.O. any day. The reason I bring up T.O. is because he dropped a lot of crucial passes, I don't want that from a WR. Not sold on this pick, I hope he proves me wrong, but I don't like it.

LLT
05-02-2015, 02:31 PM
I dont mind this pick and mentioned several times that the pre draft visits hinted towards a WR as early as the 3rd round...the only problem I have is that Tre McBride was on the board at the time and McBride is a GREAT route runner with good technigue... would have been a perfect slot reciever. THAT being said...there may have been more to McBride than I knew..since he is still on the board this late.

Steelman
05-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Seem like quite a few others wondering the same thing, LLT.

teegre
05-02-2015, 02:52 PM
If the Steelers took McBride in R6, it would be great VALUE...

...and, people would scream.

Drazo85
05-02-2015, 02:58 PM

They should pick him, i would scream, that would make Coates pick expendable, but Steelers would get great player in the sixth. Tremendous value.

Butch
05-02-2015, 04:21 PM

I am only screaming at this one because his weakness is catching, it's like having a long snapper who can block but has trouble getting the ball to the punter.

86WARD
05-02-2015, 04:23 PM
a couple things about his catching. He didn't have a great QB throwing to him and catching can be taught...it can. The other measureables he has cannot. He has a good skill set...he just lacks the soft hands we want...but that can be worked on...

Butch
05-02-2015, 04:30 PM
a couple things about his catching. He didn't have a great QB throwing to him and catching can be taught...it can. The other measureables he has cannot. He has a good skill set...he just lacks the soft hands we want...but that can be worked on...

I hope you are right, but so far it hasn't panned out with Limas Sweed or DHB, so I am not so confident that it will be taught

polamalubeast
05-02-2015, 04:34 PM
I hope you are right, but so far it hasn't panned out with Limas Sweed or DHB, so I am not so confident that it will be taught

This is the last time the Steelers have been wrong on a WR in the early/mid-round

Butch
05-02-2015, 04:43 PM
This is the last time the Steelers have been wrong on a WR in the early/mid-round

it wasn't that long ago. and who else have they tried to draft since then? btw DHB was not drafted but did not pan out last year so where is the optimism?

polamalubeast
05-02-2015, 04:44 PM
it wasn't that long ago. and who else have they tried to draft since then? btw DHB was not drafted but did not pan out last year so where is the optimism?

Mike Wallace,Sanders,Antonio Brown,Markus Wheaton,Martavis Bryant....

Butch
05-02-2015, 04:47 PM
ab was 6th round, and Wallace wont jump.

polamalubeast
05-02-2015, 04:52 PM
ab was 6th round, and Wallace wont jump.

Mike Wallace is now very underrated in this forum, this is ridiculous!....Wallace had two 1,000-yard seasons with the Steelers and had a very good rookie season in 2009 as No. 3 receiver

It ended badly in 2012 but if Coates has the same beginning of career than Wallace, I will be very happy

Butch
05-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Mike Wallace is now very underrated in this forum, this is ridiculous!....Wallace had two 1,000-yard seasons with the Steelers and had a very good rookie season in 2009 as No. 3 receiver

It ended badly in 2012 but if Coates has the same beginning of career than Wallace, I will be very happy

Sorry was talking on the phone when I wrote that last reply.

My point should have been that none of those players had a lot of catching issues. Sweed and DHB did, and for that matter Wallace did not fight for the ball so it's not really ridiculous that he gets flack from us for that. If he had heart he probably would still be a Steeler but he turned into a Diva and then quit on the dolphins.

Also the guys with hands problems have not panned out in our system so where is the optimism

Butch
05-02-2015, 05:40 PM
guys with hands problems have not panned out in our system so where is the optimism?

86WARD
05-02-2015, 05:46 PM
There was a knock on Sanders when he was drafted that he was over confident in his hands and would drop the ball because he was too worried about making moves.

86WARD
05-02-2015, 05:49 PM
Was a thing with AB as well that he trapped too many balls, didn't use his hands enough, wouldn't fight for the ball...

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/profiles/antonio-brown?id=497276

86WARD
05-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Not trying to prove you wrong Butch, just trying to be optimistic...lol

SteelerFanInStl
05-02-2015, 06:21 PM
There was a knock on Sanders when he was drafted that he was over confident in his hands and would drop the ball because he was too worried about making moves.

And he continued to drop the ball until he went to Denver.

cold-hard-steel
05-02-2015, 07:44 PM

Please tell her to stop that .Uneeded toughness 25 yard penalty .

Butch
05-02-2015, 07:59 PM
Not trying to prove you wrong Butch, just trying to be optimistic...lol

Not at all, I just want to feel better about the pick too

vrabinec
05-03-2015, 08:41 AM
This dude is fucking HUGE. He looks like an OLB. Man, if he can catch, put him on the goal line with Heath, Bryant, and AB, and you've got a nice red-zone array. Asa thick as he is, he could maul some of these smaller DB's or out-jump them. This is a red-zone move.

SteelerFanInStl
05-03-2015, 09:09 AM
This dude is fucking HUGE. He looks like an OLB. Man, if he can catch, put him on the goal line with Heath, Bryant, and AB, and you've got a nice red-zone array. Asa thick as he is, he could maul some of these smaller DB's or out-jump them. This is a red-zone move.

Yea, his build reminds me of Boldin. I expect him to turn into a very good blocker and a guy who can go up and get the ball in a crowd.

GBMelBlount
05-03-2015, 09:23 AM

It would be nice if he was effective in the red zone.

However I read his his strength is deep routes and short routes are his weakness.

cold-hard-steel
05-03-2015, 10:07 AM

However I read his his strength is deep routes and short routes are his weakness.

Thats the way he was used in my opinion. You can more than likely mold someone so to speak into what you have in mind for a "player" .

stillers4me
05-03-2015, 11:27 AM

cold-hard-steel
05-03-2015, 11:34 AM
She said yes !!!!!!!

vrabinec
05-03-2015, 12:01 PM

Now that's what I call a good weekend!

cold-hard-steel
05-03-2015, 12:07 PM
She said yes !!!!!!!

Should be readin Coates with his first round pick .

LLT
05-03-2015, 12:28 PM

This is the only problem I have with the pick. I was under the impression that we needed a quick slot receiver to compliment the talent that we already have. Coates abilities seem to be that of a X receiver and not a Y receiver.

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2015, 02:37 PM
This is the only problem I have with the pick. I was under the impression that we needed a quick slot receiver to compliment the talent that we already have. Coates abilities seem to be that of a X receiver and not a Y receiver.

I read the Steelers are going to start him off at the slot WR spot which would cause some serious mismatches against smaller slot CBs...

LLT
05-03-2015, 02:42 PM
I read the Steelers are going to start him off at the slot WR spot which would cause some serious mismatches against smaller slot CBs...

That's what has me a bit puzzled at this pick. There were pure slot receivers..with great hands...still on the board. As a X receiver he is a 2nd round prospect. As a Y receiver...I think there was better value.

I know I straddling the fence here....but in a nutshell...I think the "pick" was a value pick. But I think the player doesn't fit the need we have at slot.

GBMelBlount
05-03-2015, 03:03 PM
Perhaps they took him because if he doesn't work out at slot he may still contribute.

and if he does he is a double threat.

...or perhaps the need at slot is not as great as people think?

FWIW, here is the steelers slot performance last year:

Though the latter four were all starters with specific roles, that did not preclude them from working in the slot.

Of Antonio Brown's 138 receptions (including playoffs) 57 of his catches and 631 of his yards came from between the numbers in the zero-to-19 yard range.

Wheaton had 22 receptions in the slot, for 233 yards.

Miller had 52 catches for 627 yards,

and Bell had 466 yards and 39 receptions, along with another 29 catches for 213 yards between the numbers behind the line of scrimmage.

In contrast, Justin Brown had 11 catches for 92 yards in the slot,

and Moore had eight for 78 yards.

Pittsburgh simply did not need a singularly designated slot receiver in order to be productive between the numbers. They already had a core group on offense that could handle these duties when asked. Moore and Justin Brown were more rotational, situational players who didn't need to see the field that often given how well their teammates were performing.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2378609-what-are-the-steelers-options-at-slot-receiver

LLT
05-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Perhaps they took him because if he doesn't work out as slot he may still contribute.

and if he does he is a double threat.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2378609-what-are-the-steelers-options-at-slot-receiver

I totally agree that we need a player that is versatile....that's been the philopshy of the WR corps for awhile. But its easier to teach a good route running Y receiver with good hands to play X or Z (especially if they have speed)...then it is to teach a X receiver to play across the middle if his hands are suspect.

Which brings us back to your statement....we can always have him play X if he cant play slot. (Though we know what Tomlin thinks of a "one trick pony")

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2015, 03:55 PM
That's what has me a bit puzzled at this pick. There were pure slot receivers..with great hands...still on the board. As a X receiver he is a 2nd round prospect. As a Y receiver...I think there was better value.

I know I straddling the fence here....but in a nutshell...I think the "pick" was a value pick. But I think the player doesn't fit the need we have at slot.

perhaps the Steelers truly are concerned about a future holdout by AB or aren't completely sold on Wheaton...:noidea:

vrabinec
05-04-2015, 11:25 AM

Unless the ultimate plan is to make AB the slot guy so that he's freed up inside and have Bryant and Coates as the wides...

Mojouw
05-04-2015, 11:51 AM
I think the Steelers have shown that their WR philosophy is to not worry so much about positional roles (X/Y, etc) during the talent acquisition portion of the off-season. They then will sort roles out in camp and pre-season.

Why can you only play the slot if you are under 6 feet tall? As long as you run good routes and don't care about getting hit, it will be fine. Most slot guys are "smaller" WRs not because that is a requirement for playing there, but because they can not "win" outside against boundary corners so they have to play inside against nickel corners to be (more) successful. AB is one of the exceptions to that "rule".

Personally I don't care too much about the roles of each player. But imagine a formation with AB lined up inside, and Coates and Bryant on the edges. Now you are the deep safety -- what do you do? The Steelers actually put teams in this position several times last season with Brown/Wheaton/Bryant. Now if Coates is viewed as Bryant 2.0 at worst with a potentially higher ceiling...I just can't talk myself into finding a reason to not like this pick.

Now if it turns out that Coates has hands somewhere on the Dwight Stone, DHB, Sweed end of the spectrum -- that will be bad.

Lady Steel
05-08-2015, 11:36 AM