PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Select OLB Bud Dupree With 22nd Overall Pick In 2015 NFL Draft

86WARD
04-30-2015, 09:28 PM
With the 22nd overall pick in the 2015 NFL draft the Steelers select Kentucky OLB Bud Dupree.

Draft Profile: http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/bud-dupree?id=2552289

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 09:30 PM
CBs Marcus Peters and Kevin Johnson were gone...

so I like it, good pick! :thumbsup:

katmandu
04-30-2015, 09:31 PM
BUD DUPREE !!

86WARD
04-30-2015, 09:34 PM
I like it...disappointed they didn't get the CB (had my heart set on Peters) and this pretty much admits that they don't like Jones...so he may be a wasted #1 pick. But I like Dupree. Who knows...maybe Jones finally gets his shit together and they have a couple young studs...nah...

Think I may have liked Gregory better here...I'm not jumping for joy but I'm not angry.

Steelman
04-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Not terribly excited about the pick, but here's hoping Bud can bring some pass rushing.

Lady Steel
04-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Welcome to Pittsburgh, Bud! :tt02:

Steeldude
04-30-2015, 09:37 PM
Well here is hoping he can play LB. Rushing the passer is what the Steelers need, but I also want to see him chasing down RBs, stuffing RBs, sealing the edge, covering receivers and putting forth 100% on every play.

steelerdude15
04-30-2015, 09:38 PM
I like it...disappointed they didn't get the CB (had my heart set on Peters) and this pretty much admits that they don't like Jones...so he may be a wasted #1 pick. But I like Dupree. Who knows...maybe Jones finally gets his shit together and they have a couple young studs...nah...

I wouldn't throw Jarvis to the curb yet. The Steelers can keep Jarvis where he is and put Bud opposite of him.

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 09:38 PM
Denver traded up to draft Shane Ray right after we picked Bud Dupree.

it will be interesting to follow both of their career paths...

st33lersguy
04-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Ben's Super Bowl window is closing, select a defender that can have an impact in year 1 in the 1st round. This guy won't contribute for another two years if at all. Shazier and Tuitt better shine in year 2 or our defense will have a bottom tier defense again. Another case of the Steelers FO taking a fallen prospect that other teams were scared off by from obvious flaws that the Steelers are the only ones not to pick up on

polamalubeast
04-30-2015, 09:52 PM
Ben's Super Bowl window is closing, select a defender that can have an impact in year 1 in the 1st round. This guy won't contribute for another two years if at all. Shazier and Tuitt better shine in year 2 or our defense will have a bottom tier defense again. Another case of the Steelers FO taking a fallen prospect that other teams were scared off by from obvious flaws that the Steelers are the only ones not to pick up on

RELAX!!!!!!

stillers4me
04-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Tomlin can yell "Ivan!" anymore. Now he can yell "Alvin!"

X-Terminator
04-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Not happy to say the least.

So are we going to wait until the fucking 5th round again to draft a CB? Or are they going to go with a couple of parking cones and a prayer? :frusty:

This Dupree kid better be the next Harrison, that's all I have to say.

st33lersguy
04-30-2015, 09:56 PM

So are we going to wait until the fucking 5th round again to draft a CB? Or are they going to go with a couple of parking cones and a prayer? :frusty:

AMEN!!!

Mojouw
04-30-2015, 09:57 PM
Dupree can absolutely impact as a situational pass rusher in his first year.

He is totally raw, I get that. Team needs DBs, I get that too.

Bottom line, Dupree put up Combine and Pro Day #'s virtually identical to Clowney. That is how explosive of an athlete he is.

Fits the new Steelers trend in the draft. It used to be guys with a high # of starts from big time programs -- now it is prospects with @ least one totally off the charts physical characteristic.

salamander
04-30-2015, 09:57 PM
Considering the 2 best CB's were gone, I'll hold off on any judgment until I actually see Dupree play.

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 09:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ChVLohiz7M

Mojouw
04-30-2015, 09:59 PM
Also, the picks need to be taken in context. What if the 2nd round pick is Jones? What if it is Rowe or Collins? Does Dupree look better then?

Steelers got a player rated in the 1st tier of pass rushers at #22. If they would have taken a DB, they would have been dipping into the second tier of prospects -- how the hell is that a good idea?

MULLDOG24
04-30-2015, 09:59 PM
Absolutely thrilled with this pick! Love having one of my KY wildcats as a Steeler!

fansince'76
04-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Absolutely thrilled with this pick! Love having one of my KY wildcats as a Steeler!

At least SOMEONE's happy. :chuckle:

I don't watch college ball, so I'm pretty much clueless. :chuckle:

polamalubeast
04-30-2015, 10:01 PM

The steelers can take a CB in round 2 and/or 3 tomorow!!!!

The OLB position of the steelers was very weak......It was James Harrison(37 years old)Moat and a likely a bust in Jarvis Jones

If the Steelers do not draft a CB tomorrow, you can be angry, but right now it is too early

86WARD
04-30-2015, 10:03 PM
Considering the 2 best CB's were gone, I'll hold off on any judgment until I actually see Dupree play.

My feelings as well. Could've drafted Jones, but I'm not sold on him either.

X-Terminator
04-30-2015, 10:03 PM
Also, the picks need to be taken in context. What if the 2nd round pick is Jones? What if it is Rowe or Collins? Does Dupree look better then?

Steelers got a player rated in the 1st tier of pass rushers at #22. If they would have taken a DB, they would have been dipping into the second tier of prospects -- how the hell is that a good idea?

How about trading up to get the guy you need most? They needed either Peters or Johnson. Jones was still on the board. They should have been more aggressive in trying to get one of them, but nope...that's not how the Steelers operate, because I'm not sure if there is a pair of balls between Colbert and Tomlin.

86WARD
04-30-2015, 10:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=0ap3000000489435

- - - Updated - - -

How about trading up to get the guy you need most? They needed either Peters or Johnson. They should have been more aggressive in trying to get either of them, but nope...that's not how the Steelers operate, because I'm not sure if there is a pair of balls between Colbert and Tomlin.

There's not...and I hate that year after year they sit there and take the selections that they are given. No moving up, no moving back...I hate it.

polamalubeast
04-30-2015, 10:05 PM
How about trading up to get the guy you need most? They needed either Peters or Johnson. Jones was still on the board. They should have been more aggressive in trying to get one of them, but nope...that's not how the Steelers operate, because I'm not sure if there is a pair of balls between Colbert and Tomlin.

They needed a OLB too!!!!!

Only 33 sacks for the steelers last year(worst since 1989 for the steelers)

X-Terminator
04-30-2015, 10:07 PM

The OLB position of the steelers was very weak......It was James Harrison(37 years old)Moat and a likely a bust in Jarvis Jones

If the Steelers do not draft a CB tomorrow, you can be angry, but right now it is too early

I bet you they don't take a CB tomorrow either. It'll be another WR, a RB or some other position they don't have a desperate need for. It's their M.O.

tube517
04-30-2015, 10:07 PM

That is the scary part. I'll wait and see. I was ok with 1. OLB 2. CB 3. CB so I"ll wait.

Of course, this 3 day draft crap makes me more nervous.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2015, 10:08 PM

Exactly how I see it.

polamalubeast
04-30-2015, 10:09 PM
I bet you they don't take a CB tomorrow either. It'll be another WR, a RB or some other position they don't have a desperate need for. It's their M.O.

We will see, but for now, too early to be angry

If they take a WR or RB in round 2 or 3,Colbert need to be fired!!!!

st33lersguy
04-30-2015, 10:10 PM

Yeah, whatever they would have given up would have more than worth FINALLY getting a CB that can play instead of burning it on the guy no one else wants who won't contribute until maybe year 3 if ever.

steelreserve
04-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Not super excited here. We draft another fuckin linebacker in the first round and we don't even take the best one.

Meanwhile, the secondary this year compared to last is shaking up to be what the Hindenburg is to a dumpster fire. That's OK though, keep drafting linebackers. Watch, we'll find an excuse to take some lineman next round and then people will be REALLY pissed.

So are we going to wait until the fucking 5th round again to draft a CB?

You bet your ass we are!

Steelman
04-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Let's ship Dupree to Harrison's training facility in Arizona ASAP.

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 10:13 PM
Dupree is a 6'4" 269 pound freak of an athlete who will be either a Defensive End or an Outside Linebacker depending on the defensive scheme of the team that drafts him. Most think if he is in a 3-4 Defense, he will be an OLB and in a 4-3 defense he will be a pass rushing DE.

Dupree turned heads with his combine results and cemented his status as a first round prospect with some eye popping numbers. Dupree, at 269 pounds ran a 4.56 40-yard dash. The only linebackers to run a faster time was 25 pounds lighter Vic Beasley at 4.53, and 32 pound lighter Kwon Alexander at 4.55. This says a lot about Erik Korem's high performance system as well.

Dupree also put up an insane 42-inch vertical leap, and an other worldly 11 feet 6 inch broad jump, good enough for third best of anyone at the combine, regardless of position.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2015/4/26/8486723/kentucky-football-2015-nfl-draft-profile-alvin-bud-dupree

Mojouw
04-30-2015, 10:14 PM

That assumes there was a team willing to trade down. Additionally, what are you willing to give up? A 3 this year? Multiple picks in 2016?

And the Steelers have shown they will move up when they believe in the player. Clearly they didn't feel strong enough.

SteelerFanInStl
04-30-2015, 10:16 PM

I agree. I'll withhold my judgement until I see who we take in the second round.

polamalubeast
04-30-2015, 10:17 PM
I agree. I'll withhold my judgement until I see who we take in the second round.

Same for me

X-Terminator
04-30-2015, 10:18 PM
That assumes there was a team willing to trade down. Additionally, what are you willing to give up? A 3 this year? Multiple picks in 2016?

And the Steelers have shown they will move up when they believe in the player. Clearly they didn't feel strong enough.

If that's what it would have taken to get the guy they needed the most, then yes, I would have been willing to give that up.

When was the last time they traded up for ANYONE in the first round since they did it for Troy in 2003?

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 10:20 PM
Where is he drafted?

It is pretty much a consensus that Dupree will have his name called on Thursday night in the first round. In fact, he was invited to attend the draft, an honor only 26 total people earned.

NFL.com grades out Dupree as a 6.1 on their scale of 1 to 10, this correlates to an instant starter per their grading.

Dupree could go as high as #4 to the Raiders or as low as #27 to the Cowboys, he will most likely end up closer to #4 than #27 though. The Washington Redskins own the #5 pick and will bring in Dupree in to work out for them as early as Monday.

Most experts expect Dupree to go somewhere between 5-13. No matter who drafts him, they will be getting a specimen with a high ceiling; the rest is up to them.

http://www.aseaofblue.com/2015/4/26/8486723/kentucky-football-2015-nfl-draft-profile-alvin-bud-dupree

JayC
04-30-2015, 10:21 PM
all i can say is i hope this is not jarvis jones 2.0. i just watched some tape on youtube on him against florida and he didn't look like he had a high motor and didn't make a play all game. yeah i know one game doesnt make or break a player but he looked like any other average player on the video

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2015, 10:23 PM
since trae waynes, marcus peters, and kevin johnson were gone, im ok with the pick. probably would have preferred byron jones here but ill take this pick too! Welcome to pittsburgh bud! Continue the tradition!

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 10:24 PM
Steelers' defense gets younger with Bud Dupree

By Marc Sessler
Around the NFL Writer
Published: April 30, 2015

The Steelers made it crystal clear before the draft that outside linebacker was a primary need heading into the 2015 NFL Draft.

Pittsburgh found their man on Thursday with the No. 22 overall selection, adding Kentucky's Bud Dupree to a position group left hollow after the surprising retirement of Jason Worilds.

The 6-foot-4, 269-pound Dupree gives the Steelers a freakish athlete who reminds NFL Media's Lance Zierlein of New England's Jamie Collins.

Still something of a raw product, Dupree's instincts have drawn criticism from some scouts, but the newest Steelers defender also showed an ability to dominate linemen and take down passers with explosive closing speed.

The former basketball player is an intriguing fit for Pittsburgh's defense, which will take on a different look after watching safety Troy Polamalu and cornerback Ike Taylor hang up the cleats.

After filling their pass-rushing void, the Steelers are a lock to address their secondary in the coming rounds.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000489451/article/steelers-defense-gets-younger-with-bud-dupree

teegre
04-30-2015, 10:42 PM
When was the last time they traded up for ANYONE in the first round since they did it for Troy in 2003?

A: 2006 for Santonio Holmes

They also had a trade in place, in 2011, to acquire Mike Pouncey. The Dolphins nixed the trade at the eleventh hour... and took Mike for themselves.

katmandu
04-30-2015, 10:43 PM
Let's ship Dupree to Harrison's training facility in Arizona ASAP.http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1877307

PLAYER NEWS
03/15/2015 - Kentucky's High Performance program doesn't need to advertise. It has a 6-foot-4, 269-pound walking, talking, blitzing, sacking billboard. Bud Dupree, who had some eye-popping numbers at the NFL Combine, said he didn't think it was necessary to go to a training facility in Arizona or Florida to get ready for his professional career. He just went down the hall to UK's High Performance coach, Erik Korem. "We do the same training here that we do at another facility,"

teegre
04-30-2015, 10:45 PM
Dupree can absolutely impact as a situational pass rusher in his first year.

He is totally raw, I get that. Team needs DBs, I get that too.

Bottom line, Dupree put up Combine and Pro Day #'s virtually identical to Clowney. That is how explosive of an athlete he is.

Fits the new Steelers trend in the draft. It used to be guys with a high # of starts from big time programs -- now it is prospects with @ least one totally off the charts physical characteristic.

You write well thought out posts.

This is is a good example of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep.
I've averred for months: CB then OLB... or ...OLB then CB.

Bring on Alex Carter!!!

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 10:47 PM
let me be the first to call him:

Alvin "Bust" Dupree :peep:

teegre
04-30-2015, 10:52 PM
let me be the first to call him:

Alvin "Bust" Dupree :peep:

:rofl:

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 10:56 PM
Getting a gift: When asked about taking Dupree over a cornerback, a position many mock drafts had the Steelers going after, Colbert said he “absolutely” preferred taking Dupree.

“We didn’t expect Bud Dupree to be there. That was a very easy selection. As we say all of the time we are never going to lock ourselves into any position. We want good football players and Bud Dupree certainly fits that category.

“He was the highest player left on our board. As he kept coming to us, the odds of getting a player we wanted increased and we waited it out. We really feel fortunate this was one of those situations. This is a gift for us to be able to get this guy at 22.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/3-takes-on-No-1-pick-Bud-Dupree/faadb8e6-8963-4236-b844-fe146e17eb1b

NCSteeler
04-30-2015, 11:00 PM
Bud Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky

Again, I get it. Dupree has the size (6'4", 269 pounds) to help set the edge and the quickness (4.56 40) to rush the passer or even play in space. He's an athlete, in every sense of the word, and could be molded into an excellent NFL player by the right coaching staff.

But. The flaws in his game as a college player were evident, starting with average awareness and continuing to include a pretty basic pass-rushing repertoire. There are some who believe Dupree is en route to a top-10 pick, be it by Atlanta or the Jets or a team moving around via trade. His current skill set would be a far better value fit another dozen-plus picks later.

Sounds like 22 is about right. I'd like to see CBCBCBTE coming up.

Probably better than the Rats taking a WR with Nate Washington Hands

Psycho Ward 86
04-30-2015, 11:23 PM

thoughts on these statistics?

EDIT: Thanks for the assist on embedding the tweet fs76

fansince'76
04-30-2015, 11:34 PM
thoughts on these statistics?

EDIT: Fuck, someone remind me how to embed a tweet

Embedded it for you, but here's a tutorial: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/21333-How-do-I-embed-videos-vines-and-instagrams?p=458621&viewfull=1#post458621

Edman
04-30-2015, 11:37 PM
There was nothing wrong with our Corners last year. Except Cortez Allen. He sucks.

What killed the Ravens playoffs game was Tomlin lacking the balls to override Lebeau to start an extremely ineffective Troy Polamalu. He also lacked the balls to sit Ike and Troy for the Saints game. Of course, both of them got burnt all game.

Blake, McCain, and Gay were good enough, so was Will Allen and Mitchell as a pair at Safeties. Tomlin instead fucked with with the chemistry that group was forming.

Ike, Troy, and Lebeau are gone, I think the secondary will be straight.

Expect Cortez Allen. He sucks.

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 11:41 PM
STEELERS BEAMING ABOUT DUPREE

Apr 30, 2015
Jim Wexell
Publisher SteelCityInsider.net

http://imgix.scout.com/150/1500112.jpg?w=600&h=360&fit=max

A top-10 talent, Alvin "Bud" Dupree, fell to the Steelers at pick 22 to fill an opening on the defensive depth chart.

PITTSBURGH -- General Manager Kevin Colbert spoke the other day about the deep outside linebacker crop and how several of them are impact players.

Colbert and the Pittsburgh Steelers believe they grabbed one of those impact players in the first round Thursday night when they drafted Alvin "Bud" Dupree, a 6-4, 269-pound defensive end/outside linebacker from the University of Kentucky.

"This is a gift for us," said a beaming Colbert.

Dupree was one of the standouts at the Combine where he ran a 4.56 40 and had a vertical jump of 42 inches. He was called a top-10 athlete by most draft experts because, as Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said, "He's really a unique animal."

Both Tomlin and Colbert cited Dupree's versatility at Kentucky, where he moved into the starting lineup late in his freshman season. He then started the next three years and recorded 23.5 career sacks, 7.5 last season.

Dupree has fluid hips and can cover, and at 269 pounds can hold the point in the run game, and should be able to help the Steelers this season as an end in their nickel front.

Tomlin said that Dupree will line up this spring on the left -- or strong -- side, where they hope to groom him to one day start opposite 2013 first-round pick Jarvis Jones. Arthur Moats is currently the starter on the Steelers' left side, but perhaps not for long if Dupree lives up to his physical potential.

"Very athletic, very strong, played in a defense similar to ours," said Colbert. "He stood up. Very strong against the run. He's certainly a good pass-rusher, can mix power and speed. And he can cover. So it's real exciting that he was able to be there for us at 22. Quite honestly that was something we didn't expect."

"I think versatility is something that should be highlighted," said Tomlin. "He's done a lot for that defense over the course of the last four years. He's been an edge rusher. He's played in space. He's played stack linebacker. Just a very versatile and smart athlete. We had an opportunity to take him to dinner the night before his pro day. Good conversation with him. You could characterize him as a football junkie, a football historian, and obviously that's attractive as well. We're excited about having him."

Following is a sampling of what some of the media scouts had to say about Dupree:

* "I'm not sure he's all there instinctually," one NFL scout told Nolan Nawrocki. "But he's too big and too fast and too strong and productive to last very long in the draft."

* "Dupree has the explosiveness, power, length and fundamentals to be a strong contributor and difference maker on all three downs," wrote Kyle Crabbs, who had Dupree ranked the No. 1 edge player for NDT Scouting. "Special combination of size/explosiveness; a future impact player."

* "Dupree has a natural feel for the rush lanes," wrote Scout.com's Dave-Te' Thomas. "He has the hip flexibility to turn quickly and the knee bend to redirect. He shows good body control and a relentless motor in backside pursuit and consistently pressures the pocket. He does not have the bulk to push the blocker into the quarterback, but has a great forward burst of speed."

Dupree writes the same word on his wrist tape before every football practice: Savage.

“We’ve got to play with that mentality,” Dupree has said. “A savage will do anything to get what they want.”

It all left Colbert smiling as it he were in a dream.

"It was a very easy selection," Colbert said.

http://pit.scout.com/story/1542724-steelers-beaming-about-dupree?s=68

Mojouw
04-30-2015, 11:45 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/04/2015-nfl-draft-player-profiles-kentucky-olb-alvin-dupree/

Reading that makes me think that there really isn't a need to overthink this one.

They lined him up in the slot for crying out loud.

TD's & Beer
04-30-2015, 11:45 PM
truthfully, I never even looked at this guy because I thought he'd go way before we drafted

A nice surprise

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 11:49 PM
truthfully, I never even looked at this guy because I thought he'd go way before we drafted

A nice surprise

me neither, I thought Bud Dupree would benefit more than any other player from Shane Ray and Randy Gregory falling.

and yes, a very nice surprise indeed...:thumbsup:

Mojouw
05-01-2015, 12:05 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2449378-bud-dupree-to-steelers-full-draft-pick-breakdown

Okay. I will stop now. The more I read, the more excited I get about this pick.

teegre
05-01-2015, 12:09 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25169534/nfl-draft-steelers-get-a-for-picking-olb-bud-dupree-at-no-22

Receiving an A+ is goodish.

TD's & Beer
05-01-2015, 12:10 AM
Alvin Dupree - DL - Wildcats

Kentucky LB Bud Dupree is shooting up draft boards, reports NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock.

"The tape is inconsistent, but as coaches get involved, they want to work with this piece of clay," Mayock said. "He's got everything you want in a Pro Bowl edge rusher except consistency." Dupree could go as high as No. 8 to Atlanta"

Kentucky edge rusher Bud Dupree "is one of the top 10 players in this draft," says ESPN NFL Insider Jon Gruden.

NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah notes that Kentucky edge rusher Bud Dupree "wasn't a consistent player during his college career," and believes he's being overvalued.

"I love Dupree's potential, but he wasn't a consistent player during his college career. He is going to get selected very high in this draft -- in fact, I'll be shocked if he doesn't go in the top 10"

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/cfb/132858/alvin-dupree

st33lersguy
05-01-2015, 12:13 AM
What is the difference between this guy and Jarvis Jones other than the fact that he is big and fast?

teegre
05-01-2015, 12:18 AM
Porter will take care of the inconsistency. Bank on that.

You on can't teach his physical prowess.

Three years on defense, after starting on offense... he played some ILB... meaning: he's still just learning the position. Ansah, part II.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the difference between this guy and Jarvis Jones other than the fact that he is big and fast?

You make a good point...

It's been nearly 3 hours since Dupree was drafted, and he hasn't even come close to registering a sack yet.

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2015, 12:29 AM
since trae waynes, marcus peters, and kevin johnson were gone, im ok with the pick.

Gerry Dulac @gerrydulac -

Only CBs Steelers would've taken before Dupree were Wayens & KJohnson, but they were gone. Steelers wouldn't have taken MPeters over Dupree

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2015, 12:45 AM
https://usatsteelerswire.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/dupree_hero.jpg?w=665&h=420&crop=1

hawaiiansteeler
05-01-2015, 01:00 AM
NFL Draft Individual Grades:

Pittsburgh Steelers:

22. Alvin Dupree, DE/OLB, Kentucky: A+ Grade

Wow, how does this continue to happen? It seems like every year, great prospects slip in the draft and fall into Pittsburgh's lap. I thought it was going to be Shane Ray or Randy Gregory, but it turned out to be another pass-rusher. Alvin Dupree was getting top-10 buzz prior to the draft. I thought that was a bit too high for him, but I figured the No. 13 spot was the right area for him. I thought the Saints would pick him when they were on the clock, but apparently not. Dupree has tremendous upside and should provide a big boost in terms of getting to the quarterback.

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2015pit.php#6QDxQt4WxP2KUg2v.99

Bluecoat96
05-01-2015, 03:53 AM

So...the Steelers were supposed to reach for someone? The top rated corner backs were gone. Come on man...OLB was a need as well. Arguably as big as CB. Let's see how the next couple rounds play out before we indict the FO for not doing exactly what we fans want.

Bluecoat96
05-01-2015, 03:54 AM

You stop with your common sense and logic. [emoji6]

cold-hard-steel
05-01-2015, 04:08 AM
I like the pick.I freaking said it before,no cornerbacks in the first round . Some day people will realize the importance of pressure on the QB. Hope they give him # 58.

MULLDOG24
05-01-2015, 04:31 AM
I live in Lexington KY and ran into Bud last friday and talked to him briefly and he really seemed like a humble guy very likable person. He was moved around a lot on the KY defense because he really was the only solid player that they had there and teams planned for him every game. I believe the steelers are getting a player with physical ability that is willing to learn and do whatever it takes to be successful.

stillers4me
05-01-2015, 05:04 AM

stillers4me
05-01-2015, 05:23 AM

Iron Steeler
05-01-2015, 06:00 AM
CBs Marcus Peters and Kevin Johnson were gone...

so I like it, good pick! :thumbsup:

agree out best DBs were selected right in front of us and the next one was Byron jones who was kinda a reach at that spot . So best available at a need position I can live with that .

on another note . Do u think that the steelers flirt with a 4-3 look this year? We have so many guys in the front 7 now

86WARD
05-01-2015, 07:09 AM

Only CBs Steelers would've taken before Dupree were Wayens & KJohnson, but they were gone. Steelers wouldn't have taken MPeters over Dupree

That's just fucking stupid.

polamalubeast
05-01-2015, 07:23 AM

So every OLB that the Steelers are going to take, you going to compare him to Jarvis Jones?

Some people not understand that OLB was a major need for the steelers

86WARD
05-01-2015, 07:51 AM
Better OLBs will make the CBs appear better as well...and vice versa.

Born2Steel
05-01-2015, 08:01 AM
Very happy this morning! We got us a real OLB now. Personally, I had Dupree ranked ahead of Ray, Gregory, and Beasley. There were no CBs available that were worthy of the 22nd overall pick. But there will be plenty to take today and over the weekend. Although that make 3 1st round LBs in a row, I love this pick.

Dissolv
05-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Very happy this morning! We got us a real OLB now. Personally, I had Dupree ranked ahead of Ray, Gregory, and Beasley. There were no CBs available that were worthy of the 22nd overall pick. But there will be plenty to take today and over the weekend. Although that make 3 1st round LBs in a row, I love this pick.

I love this pick as well. The big thing is not who we picked before in the 1st round, it's who do we have left? An OLB that can pass rush, cover a TE, and play the run is gold in our scheme, and we need one--badly. Hopefully Bud can make a play on any down and can wreak havoc on the short-pass offenses that are so popular these days. A pure rusher can be taken out of the game by a consistent, quick release. But a guy who can also drop into coverage...cue Harrison's Super bowl pick-six.....

Now I WISH that we didn't have that kind of need at LB, but we just do. And we have shown for years that if your Line and LB core are top notch, your DE's won't get tested to the point that you need two Revis's to have the number 1 Defense in the NFL. So the pick makes sense--from need, from scheme, character, everything. Do we still need a ton of secondary help? Yes we do. I'd love if they take multiple picks for the secondary, but I also want them to squeeze in some help for the O--TE, even WR, if the players are there in the later rounds. The big thing is which position from which pick, and that depends 100% on who is available on the board. And I am happy with them not reaching, if they think they have a solid option. We need as many draft choices to pan out as we can.

In many ways, the later round draft picks are going to be more interesting this year than the top picks--so long as they DO take a CB in the 2nd or at latest 3rd round.

Dissolv

TD's & Beer
05-01-2015, 08:52 AM
6'4", 270 with 4.5 speed

yeah - I'll take that guy

GBMelBlount
05-01-2015, 08:53 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25169534/nfl-draft-steelers-get-a-for-picking-olb-bud-dupree-at-no-22

Receiving an A+ is goodish.

The pick makes good sense. Just hope he can develop AND be more consistent...

And while the question isn't whether he can be an impact edge rusher -- he can, we saw glimpses of the out-of-this-world potential last season -- it's if he can do it consistently in the NFL. The Steelers clearly think he can,

and in an age when pass rushers are arguably the second-most important players after franchise quarterbacks,

you can understand why Dupree landed in Pittsburgh.

Of course, pass rushers are one of the two biggest needs for the Steelers. Jason Worilds, who was in line for a big payday,

retired this offseson, 2013 first-rounder Jarvis Jones is still unproven (he was injured for much of last season), and James Harrison is 37.

Steelman
05-01-2015, 09:00 AM

Maybe it's for the best the Chiefs took him then. I woulda destroyed things if we took Dupree over Peters.

I think this was a repeat of last year with Kyle Fuller. Wanted the corner (prob KJ), ended up with a linebacker.

teegre
05-01-2015, 09:02 AM
The pick makes good sense. Just hope he can develop AND be more consistent...

In Porter I trust. He'll keep the kid consistent. (Whereas, Bud's physical traits can't be taught.)

cold-hard-steel
05-01-2015, 09:12 AM
Porter will take care of the inconsistency. Bank on that.

You on can't teach his physical prowess.

Three years on defense, after starting on offense... he played some ILB... meaning: he's still just learning the position. Ansah, part II.

- - - Updated - - -

You make a good point...

It's been nearly 3 hours since Dupree was drafted, and he hasn't even come close to registering a sack yet.

I would have to credit him with 1 sack due to the fact we captured him @#22.

vrabinec
05-01-2015, 09:21 AM
I see Dupree as an OLB version of Levon Kirkland. He's gonna play at about 280, and still run a 4.5. I'm not expecting all that many sacks from him, maybe 6 a year, but he's gonna stuff the shit out of the run. Here's to hoping Jalen Collins or Darby falls to us in the second.

LLT
05-01-2015, 10:36 AM

I had Dupree ranked higher than Wayens AND Johnson. Never thought that he was going to be there at #22, especially after Ray and Gregory slid. This is not only an athletic guy...but also a cerebral kid. Did very well in school and no problems off the field.

Not to stir the pot...but we could field 4 first round LBers at some point this year.

cold-hard-steel
05-01-2015, 10:53 AM
I see Dupree as an OLB version of Levon Kirkland. He's gonna play at about 280, and still run a 4.5. I'm not expecting all that many sacks from him, maybe 6 a year, but he's gonna stuff the shit out of the run. Here's to hoping Jalen Collins or Darby falls to us in the second.

I'm liken what your gettin at but with the other dudes we have goin in to their 2nd and 3rd years he should have a field day.Jones ain't no pushover and Bud might make him even more than you think he could be [or even vice versa].Tuitt needs to be mentioned also. From everything i saw thus far Dupree can cover too .How the hell can you top that ? How is our defense gonna be set up now that Dick is gone and Mike sticks his hand in it ? I think nothing bad about this pick .

TD's & Beer
05-01-2015, 10:53 AM
here's some real game action (not just highlights)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=28&v=hhG6ja0PWaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZXUQagnpOU

GBMelBlount
05-01-2015, 11:01 AM

He is bigger and faster. ;)

cold-hard-steel
05-01-2015, 11:17 AM
We have been away from the leader spot for much to long . Defense must take us back to where we belong.We live and breath defense.Fewest rushing yards allowed,fewest passing yards allowed, most sacks in the league,and the fewest points allowed. That is STEELER DEFENSE .

- - - Updated - - -

He is bigger and faster. ;)

your a dumb ass . had to say it .LOL !!!!!!!

cold-hard-steel
05-01-2015, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry mister Blount ,I realize there ain't no more like you so i'm gonna start replacin you with linebackers. We need linebackers that play cornerback,do you understand that Mr. Blount? I love it and i approve this message.

teegre
05-01-2015, 11:44 AM
On the NFL Network, they're debating the following:

"Who is the bigger steal: Leonard Williams at 6 ...or... Bud Dupree at 22???

cold-hard-steel
05-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Teams are always gonna try their stupid shit throwing the ball down the field,Hey they are tryin to win the game, we have one of the most lethal attacks in football .We only lack the pressure on the QB. Can we shift our attention to some more solid steeler defense ?

teegre
05-01-2015, 12:29 PM
They had a poll up on NFL Network: round one steal.

The winner was....

... Bud Dupree at 22.

Steelman
05-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Every other fan base is jealous of our pick of Dupree, but he slid from potential top-ten to 22. What do the GM's know that the fans don't? Makes me think he was drafted exactly where he should've been drafted, in the mid-twenties as exactly what he is; a freakishly athletic edge rusher who has the talent to become great but has to battle consistency and instincts and improve his repertoire at the next level.

I think at worst you've got yourself a more athletic Jason Worilds where you can count on 6 sacks, two highlight plays, and a stretch of games where he disappears, followed by a stretch of games where he's dominate.

At best, he's a situational pass rusher behind Moats on the left side while Joey Porter and James Harrison fine-tune his skills and he's a full time starter next season who produces something similar to Woodley's numbers pre-Hamstring era.

Or maybe I'm still disappointed about Peters and trying to rationalize the pick. :chuckle:

tube517
05-01-2015, 04:09 PM
http://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/756825

Cardinals were interested in trading up for Bud Dupree; Bengals declined

:lol: Of course

ALLD
05-01-2015, 06:03 PM
Just because there are some really good OLBs and CBs in this draft does not mean they are HoF material. We would be better off with a bunch of good no name players that showed up to play and didn't bring any drama. Most of the superstars we had in the last 5 years have also caused a lot of problems.

Maybe it is better not to chase and let the picks fall as long as they don't draft any more 5'6" cake toppers or hands of stone alligator armed WRs.

zulater
05-01-2015, 07:41 PM
I'm happy with the pick. Nothing really to add otherwise, just looking at all the capsules on this guy and it's look solid. I wish a great corner would have fell in their lap. But not worth reaching if none of the corners left had first round value.

st33lersguy
05-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Had they selected Byron Jones instead of this inconsistent glorified athlete in shoulder pads they wouldn't have selected that elf at CB that will get burned by every tall WR we go against.

Steelman
05-01-2015, 10:35 PM
Had they selected Byron Jones instead of this inconsistent glorified athlete in shoulder pads they wouldn't have selected that elf at CB that will get burned by every tall WR we go against.

I love you. :lol:

For the record though, I like Golson, but wish we'd landed Carter or PJ to pair with him.

Lady Steel
05-02-2015, 10:19 AM

stillers4me
05-02-2015, 11:03 AM

They always drag these guys to Primanti Bros. The poor guys are probably thinking...WTH is this shit??? #justkeepsmiling

Lady Steel
05-02-2015, 11:07 AM
They always drag these guys to Primanti Bros. The poor guys are probably thinking...WTH is this shit??? #justkeepsmiling

He was also at DeLuca's for breakfast. :chuckle:

stillers4me
05-02-2015, 11:42 AM

Plus an awesome view right into the belly of Heinz Field! :tt03:

BigNastyDefense
05-02-2015, 09:09 PM
I love my Steelers, but sometimes I absolutely hate Steelers fans because:

1. Always bitching. Even after winning Super Bowls fans have bitched about shit and couldn't just be happy for a few days that the team hoisted another Lombardi Trophy.

2. Think that they know so much more than the people who actually are paid to watch endless amounts of tape, break that tape down, interview the players/families/friends/coaches.

I'm not going to take the time to read through this entire thread, where at least half of it will be bitching and arguing.

Personally, I like the pick. Bud Dupree was considered a top 15 pick. Did he slide? Yeah. But the Steelers got a guy who could be very dynamic for the defense.

Pass rusher wasn't the most glaring need, but it was a need. This doesn't necessarily mean the team has soured on Jarvis Jones. I have a good feeling about Jones this year. On average, many NFL players don't blossom until their third season. Look at LT. People wonder why he didn't replace Foote earlier when it was apparent that he wasn't going to be replacing Joey Porter because Harrison had taken that spot. The reason was, he wasn't ready. I think we could see a breakout season from JJ.

Speaking of Harrison, he's in his upper 30's. While he is still a force in the pass rush, he's not what he once was, and he might not play beyond this season. Even if JJ breaks out this season, the Steelers will still need someone across from him as a starter, and Bud Dupree might end up being a beast.

The defense has always thrived on getting pressure on the QB. Forcing them into early/bad throws, hitting them and making them skittish, and getting sacks. Last season the Steelers bottomed out at 33 sacks, the lowest amount for the team since 1989.

I think we are going to see more blitzing under Keith Butler, get back to being Blitzburgh. Dupree could see the field this season at the least on pass rush situations. I think that's why the Steelers went with some ball hawk secondary players, to take advantage of QB's throwing before they want to.

The Steelers obviously didn't view any of the other corners available at 22 as worthy of the pick. I'd rather the team take a player they view worthy of the pick and have a first round grade on than reach for a player they feel isn't worth the pick, or the round.

And to everyone saying trade up to get the player you really want, for all we know they wanted to. For all we know, they tried. It takes two teams to trade up, and maybe the asking price was more than what the Steelers were willing to give up, especially with all of the holes on the defense that needed fixing. Marcus Peters would have been great, he's the guy I wanted the most. But he was gone when they picked. Maybe they viewed him as a good pick at 22, but didn't want to give up more than that for a player with character concerns. Maybe teams just didn't want to trade back to 22.

All I know is that I'll trust the FO, they're the ones who's jobs ride on these choices.

If Allen really was injured all last season, that leads me to believe that he will bounce back this year. If he does, he is at the least a #2 corner. Hopefully LT doesn't injure half of his teammates this season so we can see what Shazier, who I think is going to be special, can show why the Steelers surprised most people by taking him 15th overall last season.

I think it's going to be a dog fight for a lot of positions on defense in mini camps, OTA's, and training camp. I see very few spots where players will be guaranteed starters. I think our DE's and ILB's are set. I think Mitchell will get one of the two safety spots.

I think Harrison/Jones/Dupree/Moats are all going to have the opportunity to win the starting jobs. I think NT is going to be a battle between Mclendon and McCullers. And I honestly think they're going to let the defensive back battles play out, and they'll play who they feel are the best guys at the open S spot, and the CB spots.

fansince'76
05-02-2015, 09:47 PM

Plus an awesome view right into the belly of Heinz Field! :tt03:

That guy is 270? Looks like he could add 20 lbs easily and not miss a beat!

Shoes
05-02-2015, 09:49 PM

I think 200 of it is from his waist down. :chuckle:

fansince'76
05-02-2015, 09:50 PM

Agreed. They'd be better served taking them to some of the pizza places in town. Pittsburgh has some AMAZING Italian food.

st33lersguy
05-02-2015, 10:40 PM
I do think that this kid can make a lot of splash plays in his rookie year and develop into a solid starter in year 2. I do however think he is too raw to be a full-time starter in year 1

hawaiiansteeler
05-02-2015, 11:21 PM
I do think that this kid can make a lot of splash plays in his rookie year and develop into a solid starter in year 2. I do however think he is too raw to be a full-time starter in year 1

we don't need Dupree to be a full-time starter as long as Moats stays healthy...

st33lersguy
05-03-2015, 12:42 AM
we don't need Dupree to be a full-time starter as long as Moats stays healthy...

Not saying he needed to be just trying to project what he can do his rookie year. I think their intention for him is to try and develop him into a more complete pass rusher and play him only in spot duty until he fully develops. I would say he would play behind Harrison and wait for Harrison to retire to insert him in as more than a situational pass rusher, but Harrison will be seeing limited time himself

hawaiiansteeler
05-03-2015, 12:53 AM
I would say he would play behind Harrison and wait for Harrison to retire to insert him in as more than a situational pass rusher, but Harrison will be seeing limited time himself

from what I read the Steelers will have Jarvis Jones and James Harrison competing for the ROLB spot while Arthur Moats and Bud Dupree will play LOLB.

Bluecoat96
05-03-2015, 08:45 AM
The more I read and think about this pick, the more I like it. I get the impression that because Dupree was used in multiple ways on the field, we was a "jack of all trades, master of none." Settling into one role and also having some continuity in coaching should really do wonders for him.

TD's & Beer
05-04-2015, 10:41 AM
The dude is a freak athletically - just needs a little coaching

here - this should explain some things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXYLlrJ5OFY

hawaiiansteeler
05-08-2015, 12:55 AM
Pro Football Focus: Steelers reached on Bud Dupree

By Daniel Sager May 6, 2015

With analytics becoming such an important part of professional sports, it’s important to consider how a player may perform based on non-traditional forms of analysis. At Pro Football Focus, they specialize in this sort of outside the box thinking; and they aren’t fans of newly minted Pittsburgh Steelers rookie Bud Dupree. In fact, Dupree is considered among the 10 players in the 2015 NFL Draft who were over-drafted, according to PFF’s metrics.

In the months leading up to the draft, PFF was very vocal in regards to their opinion of Dupree: He’s a fine athletic specimen, but the collegiate production wasn’t there to match. So, while both ESPN experts Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. were stunned in Dupree’s fall and Steelers GM Kevin Colbert feels like the team got a steal, PFF maintains the Kentucky standout was still picked too high.

Because PFF measures more than just 40-yard dash times and sacks, they feel some of his intangibles don’t match up to what some of the other prospects have accomplished. For example, according to PFF, Dupree rushed the quarterback more than all but one player in the draft pool, but he generated only the seventh most quarterback pressures.

PFF suggests the Steelers’ selection of Dupree might be the result of over-correcting a “mistake” they made two years ago when they selected Jarvis Jones in the first round of the 2015 draft. Jones was among the most productive college players in the draft, but lacked the measurements that make Dupree, for example, an athletic freak. Two years later, Jones has yet to establish himself as a reliable NFL starter, although to be fair, he’s battled injuries. Dupree presents as the opposite of Jones; great athleticism but lacking college production.

to read rest of article:

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/05/06/pro-football-focus-steelers-reached-on-bud-dupree/

Count Steeler
05-08-2015, 05:36 AM
Let's see how he does with a bit of coaching and mentoring from Harrison and Porter.

However, I understand the need to raise the pitchforks and declare BUST!!!! You know, because sports journalism is all about reality.

Lady Steel
05-08-2015, 10:08 AM

tube517
05-08-2015, 12:35 PM

Bust. Skipping workouts. Selfish. :chuckle:

Lady Steel
05-09-2015, 06:14 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEmZge8XIAISL8R.jpg:large

Yay! Congratulations, Bud!

86WARD
05-09-2015, 06:24 PM
Lol. Slacker. How dare he skip workouts...

GBMelBlount
05-09-2015, 06:30 PM

He sure looks a lot better at 270 than Woodsloth did.

tube517
05-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Lol. Slacker. How dare he skip workouts...

Diva OLB. Get rid of these head cases. :chuckle: