PDA

View Full Version : Running backs aren't top NFL draft picks anymore

Lady Steel
04-29-2015, 11:44 AM
A running back stands a good chance at being a first-round selection at some point Thursday night in the NFL draft. If so, what was once an annual occurrence will become an occasion for celebrating.

After all, it has been three years since it last happened.

In today’s pass-happy NFL, running backs have become a devalued commodity. They do not command first-round attention like they used to and often are vastly overshadowed on draft day by all the wide receivers who have become statistical stars in spread offenses.

What’s more, running backs tend to have short shelf lives with the teams that do draft them. In many instances, they become as disposable as paper plates.

Despite the lack of emphasis on building an offense around a running back, NFL teams slowly tried to morph back to the running game last season in an attempt to balance their offenses and take some of the pressure off their elite quarterbacks. Maybe that is because of the success of the Seattle Seahawks, who led the league in rushing in 2014 and have been to the Super Bowl each of the past two seasons.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/04/29/Running-backs-aren-t-top-NFL-draft-picks-anymore/stories/201504280152

hawaiiansteeler
04-29-2015, 06:27 PM
I think both Gurley and Gordon go in Round 1 this year...

SteelerFanInStl
04-29-2015, 07:19 PM
I think both Gurley and Gordon go in Round 1 this year...

Yep, I think that you can count on that.

Mojouw
04-29-2015, 08:31 PM
Trends in the NFL are not always constant. I think the pendulum swings back and forth on certain things. Running the ball is back "in".

Kind of makes sense. The popularity of passing and "spread concepts" has made defensive front 7's lighter and quicker. While they haven't totally closed the gap with offenses, it is not as wide as it was a few years ago. If I am an offensive coach and I see all these 225-230 pound inside backers fronted by quicker DT and DEs; I start thinking about running right at them and just blowing them off the line.

Long story short, I think in the next 2-3 years you will see RBs be back in "vogue" (although we won't go back to a true "power back" style). Then defenses will beef back up and the next innovation will get added in.

Another example of this is the return of small WRs. Witness AB, Odell Beckham, Brandin Cooks, etc. Small being a relative term for something south of 6'3'' and 225.

Steeldude
04-30-2015, 08:45 AM
I have never been a fan of picking RBs in the first round. It's very rare to find that special RB to use the number 1 pick on.

hawaiiansteeler
04-30-2015, 02:55 PM
I have never been a fan of picking RBs in the first round. It's very rare to find that special RB to use the number 1 pick on.

especially since very good RBs can be found in later rounds...

Born2Steel
04-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Well, let's take a look back at 1st round RBs. Easy Google search. And not that impressive.