PDA

View Full Version : Off the Board

Mojouw
04-28-2015, 12:14 PM
This may be a bit redundant, but with the draft only a few days away, I thought it might be fun to post who you DO NOT want the Steelers to draft. This can be due to character concerns, bad player fit, or you simply think the player will be a "bust" at their projected draft cost.

Landon Collins - just no need for an in the box type safety. Mitchell and Thomas (if he ever stays healthy) can easily fill this role. Definitely not adding enough to the defense to be selected in the 1st round. Not so much a knock on the player, but on the fit for the Steelers.

Any of the top TEs - feel that they are going to cost too high of draft pick for their totally underwhelming prospects in the NFL. Rather take a later round project.

Jalen Collins - don't want to take a risk on a multiple (this is the key word here) drug offender that projects as a multi-year project before he is more than a sub-package player. Now in the 3rd round or later...that may be a different story.

Any WR in the first round. There is so much talent at the WR position in this and basically every draft now -- I see no need to go big on a wideout.

Rb - basically same as above.

st33lersguy
04-28-2015, 12:27 PM
A couple of mine not stated above

Any offensive player in the 1st round: Defense still wins championships and we don't have a defense good enough to win one. Need more balance

Ray and Gregory should both be gone, Gregory especially since he has bust potential written all over him.

Born2Steel
04-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Is this for the entire draft, or just first round?

If only for the 1st, any defensive player that will not come in and get immediate playing time. The biggest issue I have with the OLBs in this draft is the ones that fit that won't be there when we draft most likely. After, Fowler and Dupree, the rest are currently too small to play for us at OLB. With Ray and Gregory falling, both should be gone by 22.

Steeldude
04-28-2015, 12:52 PM
The positions I do not want in the 1st round are as follows(not in any order)...

K
P
NT
QB
RB
WR

Mojouw
04-28-2015, 01:15 PM
Could be any round. I just got distracted and only focused on the early rounds.

LLT
04-28-2015, 01:23 PM
WR: Dorial Green-Beckham....Might fall to us in the 2nd round but I wouldnt touch him with a ten foot pole. Drug arrests, Home invasion and domestic battery charges, and dismissal from the team. Lots of talent. Some team will take a chance but I hope its not us.

Steelman
04-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Wasn't a huge fan of Gregory before his pot issues, so I hope we stay away from him. Shane Ray is a bummer...hard to justify a 1st round pick now. Tell you what though, Bud Dupree just shot up probably 6-10 spots on draft night.

I hope we avoid any WR's in the first two rounds...too many other needs and plenty of depth in that group.

I'm not a fan of Landon Collins or Jalen Collins for that matter. I also am not convinced on Double O (Odighizuwa)...I think he's only a DE. Another DE I'm not convinced about is Markus Golden, who the staff seems pretty high about. No way he plays LB, and kinda small for a 3-4 DE on the pro level. High effort guy I know, but I don't see it translating.

With the reports on Ifo Ekpre-Olomu's knee, I wouldn't touch him at all.

That's all the negative things I can think of at the moment. :lol:

polamalubeast
04-28-2015, 01:53 PM
The positions I do not want in the 1st round are as follows(not in any order)...

K
P
NT
QB
RB
WR

and DE

teegre
04-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Gun to your head: Shane Ray or Randy Gregory?

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2015, 03:37 PM

Shane Ray.

Gregory's playing weight of 235 lbs scares me, too light to play OLB in the Steelers 3-4...

LLT
04-28-2015, 03:41 PM

Gotta go Gregory. Better upper body strength...better lower body strength...and looked more fluid in drills. (looks like he can add meet to his frame easily)

Mojouw
04-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Gotta go Gregory. Better upper body strength...better lower body strength...and looked more fluid in drills. (looks like he can add meet to his frame easily)

Gotta agree with this.

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2015, 04:05 PM

the talking heads on ESPN during the NFL Nation Mock Draft mentioned that Gregory played many of his games at Nebraska at 220 lbs.

that concerns me...

LLT
04-28-2015, 04:22 PM
the talking heads on ESPN during the NFL Nation Mock Draft mentioned that Gregory played many of his games at Nebraska at 220 lbs.

that concerns me...

It would me too...being that he would play OLB for us... He was up to 238 at his Pro Day ...and I think he could play at a weight as high as 250-255 without losing much agility.

teegre
04-28-2015, 04:29 PM
A couple of thoughts on Gregory:

CON: Gregory has stated that it's tough for him to maintain weight.

PRO: Greg Lloyd was only 226 lbs.

CON: O-linemen are bigger and faster than 20 years ago.

PRO: Sometimes, smaller, more explosive players are better than bigger, slower players.

CON: Is he big enough to shed blocks?

Born2Steel
04-28-2015, 04:57 PM
What value do you put on a guy that may be DOMINANT in 2-3 years but will only be a back up/ST until then. That's what you look for in the 2nd/3rd rounds, IMO. That's what these lighter OLBs will most likely be on our defense. If Gregory or Ray drop to us in the 2nd, I would not hesitate. In the 1st, I must hesitate.

SteelerFanInStl
04-28-2015, 06:08 PM
Another DE I'm not convinced about is Markus Golden, who the staff seems pretty high about. No way he plays LB, and kinda small for a 3-4 DE on the pro level. High effort guy I know, but I don't see it translating.

Living in St Louis, I've seen Golden play quite a bit. I agree with you 100%, he's not a LBer and not a 3-4 DE. He's a 4-3 DE all the way. He just doesn't fit our team and I really hope that we don't draft him.

86WARD
04-28-2015, 06:13 PM

K
P
NT
QB
RB
WR
Any OL
DE
TE
LB

Added to it.

tube517
04-28-2015, 06:29 PM
No scatback RBs under 150 lbs.

No OLBs who don't like to work out.

No ILBs for Shazilliamspence's spot.

No mediocre DEs who post YouTube workout videos.

No WRs who visit any office with a nameplate on the door stating "D. Rosenhaus"

LLT
04-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Added to it.

Sooooo...do you have a fullback in mind? :behindsofa:

hawaiiansteeler
04-28-2015, 07:29 PM
A couple of thoughts on Gregory:

CON: Gregory has stated that it's tough for him to maintain weight.

CON: Is he big enough to shed blocks?

you would think with as much weed as Gregory smokes that he would have constant munchies and should be able to gain weight easily...:smoker:

Steeldude
04-28-2015, 08:36 PM
Added to it.

There might not be a CB at 22 that is worth the value. It's the reason the Steelers didn't pick one in the first round last year.

teegre
04-28-2015, 10:38 PM
you would think with as much weed as Gregory smokes that he would have constant munchies and should be able to gain weight easily...:smoker:

LOL

Really though, no joke: I swear that I read that he started smoking weed, in order to help him gain weight.