PDA

View Full Version : It's a good year for cornerbacks in the NFL draft

stillers4me
04-25-2015, 12:02 PM
When NFL analysts say it’s time the Steelers select a cornerback in the first round of the draft, they’re not exaggerating. It has been 18 years since the Steelers chose Chad Scott out of Maryland with the No. 24 overall pick of the 1997 draft.

From 1998-2014, 65 cornerbacks were drafted in the first round. The Steelers and Kansas City Chiefs were the only teams that did not select at least one cornerback in the first round in that span.

The San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders selected five cornerbacks in the first round in those 17 years. AFC North Division rival Cincinnati and Buffalo selected four, Baltimore and a number of others selected three.

The question is whether the Steelers have neglected the position, or do they simply not value the position as much as other teams do?...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/04/24/It-s-a-good-year-for-cornerbacks-in-the-NFL-draft/stories/201504240099

st33lersguy
04-25-2015, 12:27 PM
I think Kevin Johnson is the safest pick

hawaiiansteeler
04-25-2015, 01:06 PM

I agree, with Marcus Peters being the riskiest but with the biggest upside too...

ALLD
04-25-2015, 01:50 PM
Hopefully we don't pick the Limas Sweed of CBs. They need to pick two to get one. Trade away the 5th round pick to move up if necessary.

steelcityboyz
04-25-2015, 01:56 PM
I hope Marcus Peters is there when they pick.. I think he will be a star.

polamalubeast
04-25-2015, 02:55 PM

agree

Mojouw
04-25-2015, 02:59 PM

I'm totally on board with Peters being the best corner in the class. What is so crazy is that he had an incident(s) with the coaching staff and now there are tons of articles referencing his "multiple off-field concerns". As far as I can find out, he had ZERO off field character issues while in school. There are also multiple reports that his issues wouldn't have even come up in a better run program.

If the board shakes out where multiple high prospects fall -- I think a choice between Peters and Gregory is possible. As much as I like dominant pass rushers, Peters could develop into the best CB to wear black and gold since Woodson. Don't think it is going to happen, but Peters would be a great pick.

SteelerFanInStl
04-25-2015, 04:40 PM
I'm totally on board with Peters being the best corner in the class. What is so crazy is that he had an incident(s) with the coaching staff and now there are tons of articles referencing his "multiple off-field concerns". As far as I can find out, he had ZERO off field character issues while in school. There are also multiple reports that his issues wouldn't have even come up in a better run program.

If the board shakes out where multiple high prospects fall -- I think a choice between Peters and Gregory is possible. As much as I like dominant pass rushers, Peters could develop into the best CB to wear black and gold since Woodson. Don't think it is going to happen, but Peters would be a great pick.

I'm definitely on board with Peters. He has everything that we need in a CB and I don't want to see us pass on him because of what seems to have been an overblown incident.

I'll take Peters over Gregory any day.

st33lersguy
04-25-2015, 07:36 PM
Other problems I read with Peters is that A. he is not fully polished and B. He doesn't take coaching well. Bad combination. Also I read he is very prone to mental mistakes and can get in a mental slump. No thank you

Count Steeler
04-25-2015, 07:58 PM
Other problems I read with Peters is that A. he is not fully polished and B. He doesn't take coaching well. Bad combination. Also I read he is very prone to mental mistakes and can get in a mental slump. No thank you

Kind of sounds like Cortez Allen. I hope his demise was the confusion in the secondary, with Polamalu taking a big step back last year.

86WARD
04-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Kind of sounds like Cortez Allen. I hope his demise was the confusion in the secondary, with Polamalu taking a big step back last year.

If Cortez could play up to what he was paid and they draft a stud CB in the first round, this team would be leaps and bounds above what they were last season. They'd all of a sudden have a defensive back end and serious depth.

SteelerFanInStl
04-25-2015, 08:54 PM

Cortez Allen? Cortez wasn't anywhere close to the talent level of Peters when he was drafted.

Steeldude
04-25-2015, 08:55 PM
The draft does have a larger than average group of decent to good CB prospects, but no real standouts. There might not be a CB of value at 22. This is what happened last year.

Psycho Ward 86
04-26-2015, 12:58 AM

one of the worst tackling cornerbacks in the draft. buyer beware

steelerdude15
04-26-2015, 08:27 PM
I think the Steelers will take Peters. With the right coaching, he could be developed into a really good corner.

Born2Steel
04-26-2015, 08:39 PM
I am not high on taking Peters at all in this draft, especially in round 1. That said, if we do draft him, I will be on board. As bad as we need CB help, we may need to take the risk.

Mojouw
04-26-2015, 08:52 PM

Which would be a DISASTER in a defense where one of the fundamental principles is sound and consistent tackling by the outside CBs. Now which team is it again that plays defense that way....

LLT
04-26-2015, 09:11 PM

I have watched tons of tape on this kid and in my opinion that is simply not true. Johnson isn't going to rock someone with vicious hits but he doesn't miss tackles. I think some talking heads make that assessment due to his percieved thinner frame, rather than by actually watching tape

STRENGTHS: Lean, athletic build and is a legitimate NFL athlete with natural cover skills. Very light on his feet, showing great quickness and fluidity to turn and run with receivers when in man coverage, as well as excellent downhill burst back to the ball for zone.

He keeps his head on a swivel and doesn't panic when the ball is in the air, showing good timing on his leaps and the hand-eye coordination to pick off the pass. Johnson is aggressive and will bait quarterbacks, showing a terrific burst back to the ball.

He isn't an intimidating hitter but gets the job done, generally wrapping the legs of ballcarriers securely. Has played inside in nickel as well as outside.

Johnson toughness belies his light frame. He started 41 game at Wake Forest, never missing a game due to injury during his collegiate career.

WEAKNESSES: In coverage, Johnson does show occasional over-aggression, getting burned on double-moves by speedy receivers. Good height and competes in jump-ball situations, but he may struggle in this regard against the behemoths playing receiver in today's NFL.

Where his lack of size shows up most is in run support. Needs to show more awareness and aggression in fighting through blocks, as well as the toughness to deliver forceful hits on the ball-carrier.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1258757/kevin-johnson

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2015, 09:52 PM
Kevin Johnson could be the first cornerback taken

Posted by Mike Florio on April 26, 2015

https://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/johnson3.jpg?w=224

Our first (perhaps only) mock draft of the year had Wake Forest cornerback Kevin Johnson going 18th overall to the Chiefs, two spots below cornerback Trae Waynes, to the Texans. The order of their depature from the draft board ultimately could be flipped.

With the draft four days away, we’re told that multiple teams have Johnson ahead of Waynes. If one of those teams ends up on the clock and decides to take a corner, Johnson will go before Waynes.

Johnson, who entered college at a mere 155 pounds, has steadily added weight. Reaching 175 last year, Johnson currently spins the dial to 188.

That’s nearly twice what he weighed in adolescence.

“I had ability, I was just a late bloomer,” Johnson has said. “My freshman year of high school, I was five feet tall and weighed 96 pounds. So I’m just growing every day. I’m still growing now.”

His confidence has grown, too.

“I’m the best cornerback in the draft,” Johnson said. “I think I’m a lockdown cornerback.”

Regardless of whether he’s the best cornerback in the draft, he could be the first one taken on Thursday night.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/04/26/kevin-johnson-could-be-the-first-cornerback-taken/

Mojouw
04-26-2015, 11:23 PM
I don't care if he is a "hitter" or not. But he sounds like a drag down tackler. Can that work the way the corner responsibilities are defined in this defense? CBs have to be sure and decisive run defenders on the edge for the defense to function as designed. It is one of the main reasons the Steelers loved Ike.

It is also one of the reasons, along with player availability, that CB is rarely a 1st round priority. Press man corners that can't tackle don't work in a zone blitz 34.

If the Steelers take one of the top 3 corners it may signal a shift in philosophy under BUtler.

hawaiiansteeler
04-26-2015, 11:48 PM
If the Steelers take one of the top 3 corners it may signal a shift in philosophy under BUtler.

that's what I'm hoping for...

in Dick LeBeau's days, if a defense couldn't stop the run they were dead.

in today's NFL, if you can't defend the pass you're dead.

perhaps the #1 job description of a Steelers CB should be being able to cover and #2 being able to tackle instead of the other way around.

cold-hard-steel
04-27-2015, 06:26 AM
I don't care if he is a "hitter" or not. But he sounds like a drag down tackler. Can that work the way the corner responsibilities are defined in this defense? CBs have to be sure and decisive run defenders on the edge for the defense to function as designed. It is one of the main reasons the Steelers loved Ike.

It is also one of the reasons, along with player availability, that CB is rarely a 1st round priority. Press man corners that can't tackle don't work in a zone blitz 34.

I,m still tryin to lay the qb on his back. Cornerback in the first round aint gonna put a band-aid on what you really need .If we do not add on to our passrush we all will be sittin around watching in disbelief why we did not adress an even more glaring need ,and part of the reason our secondary is under stress .Take the stress off the secondary and direct it toward the qb .that is my take on it ladies and gentleman.

Rotorhead
04-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Well, we need either one (OLB or CB) as one will help the other. Improve the rush and it helps the CBs, improve the CBs and it will give more time to the rush. I don't care which they pick, but whoever it is needs to contribute sooner rather than later. In the past (yeah I know Butler had taken over now) OLB took longer to develop so I think CB would be the better option in the 1st.

steelcityboyz
04-27-2015, 06:17 PM
Who thinks Butler being an ex Lbs coach would have some influence on taking a linebacker instead of a Corner?

LLT
04-27-2015, 06:20 PM
Who thinks Butler being an ex Lbs coach would have some influence on taking a linebacker instead of a Corner?

I dont think Butlers opinion will be the determining factor....I still gotta believe that they will simply take the highest ranked CB or OLB that is still on the board.

LLT
04-27-2015, 06:26 PM
that's what I'm hoping for...

in Dick LeBeau's days, if a defense couldn't stop the run they were dead.

in today's NFL, if you can't defend the pass you're dead.

perhaps the #1 job description of a Steelers CB should be being able to cover and #2 being able to tackle instead of the other way around.

This.

I am pretty tired of recievers consistently getting 6-8 yards on us (not counting YAC) because our CB's give them a 10 yard cushion

hawaiiansteeler
04-27-2015, 09:35 PM
James C Wexell retweeted
Chad Jensen @ChadNJensen -

Dave-Te Thomas' best CB in this draft?
"Marcus Peters-next Charles Woodson.
My favorite-Eric Rowe-hits like Rodney Harrison." #NFLDraft

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

LLT
04-27-2015, 10:33 PM
James C Wexell retweeted
Chad Jensen @ChadNJensen -

Dave-Te Thomas' best CB in this draft?
"Marcus Peters-next Charles Woodson.
My favorite-Eric Rowe-hits like Rodney Harrison." #NFLDraft

https://twitter.com/jimwexell

Man...I would love to land Eric Rowe!!

Born2Steel
04-28-2015, 08:00 AM
Marcus Peters both intrigues and terrifies NFL scouts.
The University of Washington product is considered by some to be the best cornerback prospect in the upcoming NFL Draft, but Peters also is a walking red flag after a messy end to his college career.
Despite first-round talent, Peters is thought to have been removed entirely from some draft boards already because of reports that, among his many transgressions, Peters choked a Huskies assistant coach last season before being kicked off the team in November.
Peters denied the choking allegation at the scouting combine in February, telling reporters it was “false.” But power-conference programs don’t usually expel one of the top players in the country for minor offenses.
As a result, only Jameis Winston’s personality and background are getting more scrutiny from NFL teams than Peters’ this offseason. And Peters is arguably the most polarizing player in this year’s entire crop.
Modal Trigger (https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/464264698-1.jpg)https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/464264698-1.jpg?w=200&h=300Photo: Getty Images

“He’s the best pure cover corner in the draft,” ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay said recently. “He has a great ball skills and is a natural play-maker. If you can live with his behavioral issues, that is.”Those issues are legion. As well as failing a drug test in 2011, Peters was suspended in 2013 for academic problems, banned from working out by Washington coaches in the 2014 offseason, suspended for a game last year for head-butting an opponent and throwing a sideline tantrum, suspended again for being late to team meetings and finally kicked off the team by coach Chris Petersen after missing a practice.
What makes Peters’ off-field problems surprising is that he is the son of a high school football coach in his native Oakland, Calif. Having to go back to his dad and explain himself following the November dismissal was the start of what Peters describes as a personal turnaround project.
“I live and I learn from it, you know?” Peters told reporters at the combine. “There are going to be things that aren’t going to go right, but I went through one of the worst things that could happen to me in life. I got kicked off my team, I wasn’t able to finish out my college career with my teammates. I own up to that and man up to that, and I just move forward.’’
Peters’ plan is more than just talk. He went to Petersen after the season and apologized for his actions, and their reconciliation resulted in the coach allowing Peters to participate in Washington’s pro day two weeks ago.
Peters now says his problems of “miscommunication, mostly on my behalf” stemmed from his displeasure at former Huskies coach Steve Sarkisian bolting for USC last year and being replaced by Petersen, who is considered more of a disciplinarian.
“I didn’t take the coaching transition too well,” Peters said at the combine. “I made some immature decisions at the University of Washington, and it hurt me truly. So I’ve just got to learn from my mistakes and grow from it.”
Whether NFL teams are willing to accept that Peters is a changed man remains to be seen. But it probably is safe to think several of them have, considering how good of a player Peters is and the fact he plays what, in a passing league, has become one of the game’s most important (and hard-to-fill) positions.
The 6-foot, 195-pound Peters has prototype size, good speed (he ran a 4.5-second 40 yard dash at the combine) and excels in press coverage. The past two years, he allowed just 38.1 percent of the passes against him to be completed while breaking up 24 and recording eight interceptions.
“I never figured I lost my chance [after being kicked off the team],” Peters said at the combine. “There are a lot of people that make mistakes, and I am blessed to have a second chance to go to the combine. I go in these [team] interviews and accept responsibility for what happened and I just take full ownership of it.’’
Whether they believe Peters enough to draft him in a round worthy of his talent will be known shortly.

I found this article online. If he has truly grown up.......

cold-hard-steel
04-28-2015, 08:52 AM
I love all the input. Too bad i ain,t in charge .Iffin i was i,d be chargin the qb .Any time you have the time to drop back and challenge a cb , well i,m just thinkin we did not add the pressure .This team has always been , and should always remain a strong defensive team influenced by hard hitting linebacker play. cb in the first round to myself is unthinkable. It just goes too far against the grain,and where i come from you can not change the grain .
\

cold-hard-steel
04-28-2015, 09:11 AM
i would actually love LOVE to see a wr turn to a cb .

Born2Steel
04-28-2015, 09:24 AM
i would actually love LOVE to see a wr turn to a cb .

Can Archer play corner?

Steelman
04-28-2015, 09:36 AM
I found this article online. If he has truly grown up.......

I've mentioned this before, but I'm a believer. I went through all of his interviews this offseason and I think he's turned a corner so to speak ( :chuckle: ) and will be a great player.

- - - Updated - - -

Can Archer play corner?

No. Receivers would simply leap-frog over him on every play.

cold-hard-steel
04-28-2015, 10:53 AM
An actual wide reciever playin at the cornerback position .Now ya got two offenses on the field at the same dang time . Come on Goodell , what now .