PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers' Brown skips workouts, working on contract

Lady Steel
04-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Antonio Brown (http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/player/antonio-brown/766418) won't be at the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers-team)' facility on Monday for the start of offseason workouts, and there's a chance he won't be around the team for a while.

The All-Pro wide receiver, who has caught 239 passes in the past two seasons combined, will be skipping the voluntary workout program and is mulling sitting out mandatory minicamp and perhaps even training camp in an attempt to secure a new contract, sources have told FOX Sports.

Brown and his camp have already spoken to team management about redoing his deal and told them his absence this spring will be related to the deal. The Steelers are bracing for a possible camp holdout from Brown, whose 129 catches in 2014 are the second-most in a single season behind Marvin Harrison's 143 in 2002.

Brown's agent Drew Rosenhaus declined to comment when asked about his client's contract situation and whether he'll hold out.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/pittsburgh-steelers-all-pro-wr-antonio-brown-skips-offseason-workouts-contract-talks-042015

Rotorhead
04-20-2015, 10:16 AM
I honestly hate Drew Rosenhaus . . . If her were burning in the street and I had a bucket of water, the only question would be which drain to I empty the bucket in! Brown, what are you doing?!?!?

fansince'76
04-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Lovely...

X-Terminator
04-20-2015, 10:23 AM
I hate holdouts as much as the next guy, but come on, Brown has clearly outplayed his current contract. If I performed at a level well above my current pay grade, you'd bet I'd be looking for more money.

Rotorhead
04-20-2015, 10:31 AM
No, I would play out my contract because that is what I signed. I would start negotiations on a bigger contract, but I certainly would not hold out like this. Remember they gave AB this nice contract before he was the best WR in the league, they took a chance on him and he signed the deal. He may have outplayed his current contract, but he still signed it. If he does hold out, I will lose a lot of respect for him.

Drazo85
04-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Now we all know why the Steelers have hosted so many potentional first round wideouts.

fansince'76
04-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Now we all know why the Steelers have hosted so many potentional first round wideouts.

At first I didn't make the connection, but yeah, it does kinda explain it...

salamander
04-20-2015, 11:28 AM
Come on, AB... don't be one of those guys.

fansince'76
04-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Come on, AB... don't be one of those guys.

Unlike Wallace, Brown actually deserves it. He may not get it from the Steelers, though...

Lady Steel
04-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Column: AB’s holdout threat hypocritical, hollow (http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/04/20/column-abs-holdout-threat-hypocritical-hollow/)

BY DEJAN KOVACEVIC

Antonio Brown didn’t show for the opening of the Steelers’ voluntary workouts this morning on the South Side, and he might not show for quite a while if his existing contract isn’t redone, according to multiple media reports headed (http://t.co/UrOh6hG4PS) by Mike Garafolo of Fox Sports.

I’d like not to believe this.

I’d like not to have it so much as breach my brain that Brown could be so hypocritical that he’d attempt an act this hollow when he isn’t even halfway through the five-year, $42 million extension he happily signed just two years ago.

I’d like not to, but what’s the option?

Brown won’t talk about this today and, in fact, we might not hear from him any sooner than we see him. That’s how these holdouts tend to work. Agents advise their clients to lay low. And Brown’s agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is the very best in his business, better known than most of his clients.

But that’s OK, you know, because here’s what Brown already has had plenty to say about his existing contract, if one can turn the calendar way, way back to, oh, July 28, 2012, and a press conference at Saint Vincent College in Latrobe:

• “It’s special. With a unique organization such as the Steelers, knowing I’m going to be around here for the long term is something amazing and really special. It’s something I take pride in, and I know that it’s a tremendous honor.”

• “It provides me with some security and allows me to play football and focus on winning games.”

• “What I do realize is that I’ve been given a great opportunity to be around an organization that is really special. I’m really honored and thankful about that. All I can do now is work to give them my best as long as I’m here.”

This is where this column could end, in all candor. A signed contract is a signed contract. Kevin Colbert signed it for the Steelers. And Brown signed it, with the enthusiastic backing of Rosenhaus.

That’s how this works.

Read more: http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/04/20/column-abs-holdout-threat-hypocritical-hollow/

Edman
04-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Hines Ward 2005 Mk.II

Brown will get his money.

tube517
04-20-2015, 12:25 PM
2 words Drew Rosenhaus

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

SteelerFanInStl
04-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Really AB??? It's shit like this that just keeps pushing me further away from professional sports. I didn't think that AB was like this.

steelreserve
04-20-2015, 12:37 PM
If he was playing on a contract that really did undervalue him, I might be sympathetic. This is a big-time contract worth over $8 million a season, so give me a fucking break. You're paid that much at any position other than QB, you play for that much, I don't care how good you are.

The real ass-kicker is that this deal was made with the understanding that it was a win for both sides. Brown gets paid like a star right away based on his potential, and the team has cost certainty in the event that he knocks it out of the park. And even if he turned into the best receiver in the league, he'd still be getting paid fairly. Not Megatron money, but still paid fairly.

You made a choice when you signed the deal to lock in high pay for a long time, and in return, give up the leverage for insane pay during that time. That was your call, so deal with the outcome (which is still not particularly bad for you). This is about the biggest dick move I have ever heard of.

X-Terminator
04-20-2015, 12:39 PM
The thing is, though, from the players' viewpoint, they want to get as much money as they can since a team can cut him before his contract is up and not owe another dime. And the players have a point. So, again, in their view, if a team can break a contract on a whim, why can't a player ask for a new contract before the current one ends, if he has outplayed said contract? The solution, of course, would be to make all NFL contracts fully guaranteed, but the owners will never agree to that. That way, it would be on the player to show up no matter what. My guess is that he wants more guaranteed money than he got in his current contract.

That said, I hope that he at least shows up for training camp.

teegre
04-20-2015, 12:45 PM
a team can cut him before his contract is up and not owe another dime.

Exactly. Great point.

That said, he's making $8 effing million per season.

X-Terminator
04-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Exactly. Great point.

That said, he's making $8 effing million per season.

That's just the average. According to DK's article, he's making just $6 million this season, then over $8 million in the final 2 seasons, and none of it is guaranteed. Hence, why he's threatening a holdout.

Look, I'm not necessarily saying I agree with the holdout threat, only that I understand where AB is coming from.

TD's & Beer
04-20-2015, 12:53 PM
a source told a source - I believe that's called gossip

Antonio Brown to skip workouts, wants new contra

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Brown won't report to voluntary conditioning, because he wants a new contract, per a source informed of his plans.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000486550/article/antonio-brown-to-skip-workouts-wants-new-contract

dislocatedday
04-20-2015, 12:55 PM
I kind of suspected AB may pull this move, but I really thought it would happen next offseason when he had 2 years left on his deal, not now with 3 years remaining. He has been elite (and by elite I mean statistically he is ranked as the #1 WR over the last 2 years), so I can see how he would feel he is underpaid. I'm sure AB is being somewhat pushed into this "holdout" stance by his agent (.. I thought AB had moved to Jay-Z's sports management company last year....I guess Rosenhaus works for Jay-Z's company now?..). I just have to wonder what $$$ amount he is looking for.

I do not know what talks between AB and the Steelers brass may have occurred behind the scenes, but I really hoped they would keep any negotiations internal. While the Steelers typically do not do deals with even 2 years remaining on a current contract, I could have seen the Steelers making an exception and upping the ante for AB next offseason. Now I really wonder if this is going to backfire on everyone, and the Steelers ship AB out of town in a trade for a first round pick....probably not, but this has been a strange offseason across the league.

SteelMember
04-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Drew smelled the money the Steelers recently free'd up... Perfect timing, and I'm sure he didn't have to whisper too long in AB's ear. Everybody wants paid! Just hope he's not looking for Megatron money or we're in trouble.

one side only
04-20-2015, 01:19 PM
When is the last time the Rooneys renegotiated a contract with three years left? After making Ben wait, what makes AB thinks getting a new deal is even remotely possible?

hawaiiansteeler
04-20-2015, 01:20 PM
I honestly hate Drew Rosenhaus . . . If her were burning in the street and I had a bucket of water, the only question would be which drain to I empty the bucket in!

James Harrison wouldn’t piss on him even if he was on fire...:monkey:

teegre
04-20-2015, 01:21 PM
That's just the average. According to DK's article, he's making just $6 million this season, then over $8 million in the final 2 seasons, and none of it is guaranteed. Hence, why he's threatening a holdout.

Look, I'm not necessarily saying I agree with the holdout threat, only that I understand where AB is coming from.

A couple of points:

1. I am pro player. Because, as you stated: they get screwed routinely. They can be cut tomorrow, with zero repercussion for the team.

2. Most contracts are back-loaded... and there's the signing bonus. So, if AB is pointing to Player A's contract of $10 million per year, I'd be willing to bet that Player A is only making about $6 million, because Player A got $10 million (of his 5 year/$50 million deal) the day that he signed... and the big payday years are at the end ($6 million, $6 million, $6 million, $11 million, $11 million).

In in other words, AB's average of $8 million, which is actually about $6 million per year, isn't that far off from the top-tier WRs.

SUMMATION:
Like all players, AB wants more "guaranteed" money, which only comes via signing bonuses. Hence, even if he were to re-sign for a 3 year $22 million contract (the amount that he has left), but the signing bonus was $12 million, he'd likely be happy.

I foresee see him re-signing for about $9 million per year (which is not much more), but with 1/3 of it in signing bonus.

Psycho Ward 86
04-20-2015, 01:23 PM
jesus people, you guys go rabid on your own players awful fast...

first of all, he deserves it. you really cant blame the guy. he's been the best receiver in the league for the past two years.

second, if we had to redo his contract, now isnt the worst time since we have more cap room than we need right now and we have some wiggle room to give people receiving new contracts more money up front to eat up all of this cap space for the year that we barely need

teegre
04-20-2015, 01:24 PM
James Harrison wouldn’t piss on him even if he was on fire...:monkey:

I would hold my piss, until my kidney burst.

Alas, my luck: my only kidney transplant match would be... Drew Rosenhaus.

steelreserve
04-20-2015, 01:55 PM
I would hold my piss, until my kidney burst.

Alas, my luck: my only kidney transplant match would be... Drew Rosenhaus.

Well, he'd be dead, so at least you'd have your donor.

I don't quite get where this is going. What does Brown think he's going to do? Sit out for three years? All that's really needed is to call his bluff, and if I were in charge of negotiating I would make it clear from day one that's exactly what was going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

jesus people, you guys go rabid on your own players awful fast...

first of all, he deserves it. you really cant blame the guy. he's been the best receiver in the league for the past two years.

second, if we had to redo his contract, now isnt the worst time since we have more cap room than we need right now and we have some wiggle room to give people receiving new contracts more money up front to eat up all of this cap space for the year that we barely need

I don't think people would have an issue with it if he wasn't already well-paid. But he is, so I do. There is no place for that shit when you're already making over $8 million a season and basically acknowledged the reason for accepting the deal when you signed the contract.

tube517
04-20-2015, 02:19 PM
http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/19793-Steelers-WR-Antonio-Brown-considering-Jay-Z-s-agency-after-dumping-Drew-Rosenhaus?p=431190&viewfull=1#post431190

Mojouw, remind me to ask you for the numbers when the lottery hits $900 million :chuckle:

Seriously, that is why this does not surprise me. Drew Rosenhaus is a damn cockroach (think Scarface/Tony Montana)

ALLD
04-20-2015, 02:30 PM
It's a special situation...and it's not. Steelers may need to change the way they do business or not. AB deserves guaranteed money and it might be a good opportunity to lock him up for another 5 year contract.

The holdout is wrong, but it might be the only way he gets their attention. Three years left on his current contract and asking for a new one is prima donna material for most teams, but the Rooneys have historically done the right thing.

I would give him more $ and guarantee it and not worry about what some other players in the future might think . You can always tell them to become #1 in their position and we can make a special assessment.

Psycho Ward 86
04-20-2015, 02:37 PM
Well, he'd be dead, so at least you'd have your donor.

I don't quite get where this is going. What does Brown think he's going to do? Sit out for three years? All that's really needed is to call his bluff, and if I were in charge of negotiating I would make it clear from day one that's exactly what was going to happen.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think people would have an issue with it if he wasn't already well-paid. But he is, so I do. There is no place for that shit when you're already making over $8 million a season and basically acknowledged the reason for accepting the deal when you signed the contract.

the going price for a top 5 WR is a hell of a lot more than $8 million a year. I believe his deal is closer to $7 million but the point remains the same. Hell, and Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas havent even signed new deals yet so its about to go up even more. Honestly, I would just get this shit done before those 2 get their contracts because AB's deal could get a whole lot more expensive.

As ridiculous as it is, market value is market value. and AB is arguably the most indispensable non-QB in the league. I cant believe people are throwing him under the bus after his absurd production and good off field behavior.

Buckinnuts
04-20-2015, 02:58 PM
Nobody told you to sign your contact. .but thought he was better than..holding out crap..honor your contract..plain n simple..what a douche

fansince'76
04-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Seems like just yesterday when people thought the front office was insane for giving Brown his current contract and letting Wallace walk...

st33lersguy
04-20-2015, 03:18 PM
F you Rosenhaus

fansince'76
04-20-2015, 03:25 PM
I cant believe people are throwing him under the bus after his absurd production and good off field behavior.

Not me. It's a business. And if I were playing a sport that could conceivably take 18-20 years off of my life, damn straight I'd be after as much money as I could get. But I'm not exactly overjoyed at the news either.

86WARD
04-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Waiting for the sit ups in the driveway.

steelreserve
04-20-2015, 03:50 PM
the going price for a top 5 WR is a hell of a lot more than $8 million a year. I believe his deal is closer to $7 million but the point remains the same. Hell, and Dez Bryant and Demaryius Thomas havent even signed new deals yet so its about to go up even more. Honestly, I would just get this shit done before those 2 get their contracts because AB's deal could get a whole lot more expensive.

As ridiculous as it is, market value is market value. and AB is arguably the most indispensable non-QB in the league. I cant believe people are throwing him under the bus after his absurd production and good off field behavior.

$42 million over 5 years - just under $8.5 million a year.

The "market value" argument doesn't hold any water as far as I'm concerned. It's not like he signed a deal based on the assumption he was going to be OK and it paid him that. He signed a deal that was valued as if he was going to be a star player. That was already accounted for. His current contract isn't some big injustice and he's not being treated unfairly.

And it's not "throwing him under the bus" on the fans' part, either. The guy refused to show up. What the fuck other reaction do you want me to have?

And I don't care what other players are doing. I don't care. I really don't. It doesn't change the fact that what our guy is doing strikes me as selfish and underhanded, from a guy I really didn't expect any of that out of.

86WARD
04-20-2015, 04:19 PM
So will the front office give ABs "new contract" to Martavis Bryant? You know...to "make a statement?"

X-Terminator
04-20-2015, 04:20 PM
Again, the way this ends is if all contracts are fully guaranteed, as they are in every other major sport. Until then, we are going to keep seeing things like this happen. It's really the only bargaining chip that a player has, because the way it's set up right now, the owners have all of the leverage.

Drazo85
04-20-2015, 04:25 PM
So will the front office give ABs "new contract" to Martavis Bryant? You know...to "make a statement?"

Maybe they use first rounder on a receiver. That would "make a statement".

steelreserve
04-20-2015, 04:46 PM
Again, the way this ends is if all contracts are fully guaranteed, as they are in every other major sport. Until then, we are going to keep seeing things like this happen. It's really the only bargaining chip that a player has, because the way it's set up right now, the owners have all of the leverage.

If all he wanted was the existing contract to be guaranteed, he probably just could've asked and we'd have been fools not to do it. This is almost certainly about more money. Again, if he was making the salary of a player far below his contribution level, say $5M, I could understand it. With what he is making now, I have no sympathy for him.

Yeah, and that statement would be "We don't want to win many football games this year."

Psycho Ward 86
04-20-2015, 04:50 PM
Waiting for the sit ups in the driveway.

someone buy this man a beer

zulater
04-20-2015, 05:24 PM

Yeah it would make a statement. It would state that the Steelers are insane and not interested in winning this year.

This much I'm sure of. When the Steelers take the field in the season opener (barring injury) Antonio Brown will take the field in his usual place as a starting wr. Now if he misses a portion or most of training camp they might end up giving the punt return duties to someone else. Which to me wouldn't be a bad thing. Nothing against AB as a punt returner but it's time to find someone else to do that. He gets plenty of touches as is. Also once he ends his holdout I have no fear that he'll come in and practice and play at the same level he always has. He can't help it. It's his DNA to give 100% once he dons the pads.

In the end the Steelers hold all the cards. They might make some sort of face saving gesture to bring Antonio back, but I predict they'll do nothing major to alter his existing contract for another couple years. When the Steelers gave Antonio his last contract they were the ones going the extra mile. Antonio was a 6th round draft pick that they could have kept near the bottom of the pay scale for a couple more years. Someone will make Antonio understand that this is nothing more than a Drew Rosenhaus grandstand. Again the Steelers have all the leverage. Antonio is going to have to play under the terms they've already agreed to if that's what the Steelers want.

Last thing. This could prove highy beneficial to Wheaton and Bryant. The extra time with Big Ben in OTA's, camp, and early pre-season games (if things extend that far) could prove invaluable once the games start to matter. Ben at times gets tunnel vision with AB. With good reason I might add. But anyway in the end this wont hurt the Steelers. And in fact could help.

So relax everyone. It's only friggin April for God's sake. :lol:

ETL
04-20-2015, 05:28 PM
Everyone who says that AB should "honor the contract" - let me know if the Steelers should "honor" the contract too and not cut him before the contract is up

if we take personal insults out of this - this is just a business impasse. Holding out for a player has been a leverage tool just like its cutting a player for the team. I will say that AB is going to hit a dead end with the Steelers with this tactic because the Steeler do not do business this way. why? Because any short term fixes will cost the Steelers in the long run.

Steelers have always found it better to find a cheaper replacement rather than give into a players demands.

I think AB will just end up accepting his contract as is - but will take a PR hit for this stunt that his agent is trying to pull off.

Mojouw
04-20-2015, 05:40 PM
AB is better than all but 2-4 guys ahead of him on this list (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/wide-receiver/).

AB's game will not "age" well. Once his legs start to go, he will not have size or physicality to extend his career (Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, etc), so he has to get paid now.

After this year, his contract is not worth the paper it is printed on (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/antonio-brown/). Once that dead money sinks below 50-60% of the cap hit if the contract is honored -- you are totally a potential cut in the salary cap era. I'm guessing that is what the "more" will come down to here. Similar dollars in the end, just that AB is certain to see more of those dollars.

The contract made sense from both sides when it was signed. AB was an unproven potential commodity from the Steelers point of view. They signed him to a deal that POTENTIALLY paid him as a top 10-15 WR. AB gladly takes it, because as others mentioned what the hell else is an unproven 6th round WR going to do?

Now the deal does not make sense from AB's side. He is a PROVEN top tier WR and wants is contract to reflect that. In the modern NFL that means guaranteed money. I don't think I can blame him. If he is lucky he has 4 more years to earn basically all the money he is ever going to earn from using his best skill set -- NFL WR. I wouldn't want to work under a contract that basically said, we might pay you, we might not. We'll see.

smokin3000gt
04-20-2015, 05:53 PM
Everyone who says that AB should "honor the contract" - let me know if the Steelers should "honor" the contract too and not cut him before the contract is up

if we take personal insults out of this - this is just a business impasse. Holding out for a player has been a leverage tool just like its cutting a player for the team. I will say that AB is going to hit a dead end with the Steelers with this tactic because the Steeler do not do business this way. why? Because any short term fixes will cost the Steelers in the long run.

Steelers have always found it better to find a cheaper replacement rather than give into a players demands.

I think AB will just end up accepting his contract as is - but will take a PR hit for this stunt that his agent is trying to pull off.

I have been trying to read your post for the last 10 minutes but all I can see are shaking boobies.

Steeldude
04-20-2015, 06:08 PM
Let him rot at home. I would totally ignore him and move on. What's going to stop him from holding out next season if he receives the contract he wants now?

zulater
04-20-2015, 06:15 PM
Let him rot at home. I would totally ignore him and move on. What's going to stop him from holding out next season if he receives the contract he wants now?

Move on? Why? It's not going to be necessary.In the end he'll have no choice but to honor his contract if the Steelers so wish it. In Steelers history, Jack Lambert held out, Hines Ward held out. This is not Mike Wallace. This is not the sort of player that will short change the Steelers on effort if he doesn't get his way. It's understandable. And also sure to be resolved long before the first meaningful down of football is played.

LLT
04-20-2015, 06:27 PM
Guys...keep your posts relevent to the topic. We have a whole section for you to post those pics into.

I removed those posts that were not about the original topic

LLT
04-20-2015, 06:38 PM
Move on? Why? It's not going to be necessary.In the end he'll have no choice but to honor his contract if the Steelers so wish it. In Steelers history, Jack Lambert held out, Hines Ward held out. This is not Mike Wallace. This is not the sort of player that will short change the Steelers on effort if he doesn't get his way. It's understandable. And also sure to be resolved long before the first meaningful down of football is played.

This.

stillers4me
04-20-2015, 06:39 PM
Don't expect a new deal for Antonio Brown, writers say

News surfaced on Monday morning that Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown (http://247sports.com/Player/Antonio-Brown-75967) was skipping voluntary workouts and could hold out into minicamp and training camp in hopes of getting a new contract.
But will it happen? Not likely, say Steelers beat writers.

Here's a look at some of the reaction from Steelers writers to the news of Brown possibly holding out (click on a name for more).

Scott Brown, ESPN.com: (http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/13433/too-early-to-worry-about-ramifications-from-antonio-brown-wanting-new-deal) "Brown and his camp have to know that they have virtually no leverage with three years still left on Brown’s contract. The Steelers aren’t going to budge as far as a new deal for several reasons: They simply don’t do new contracts with players who aren’t even halfway through their current one.
"And they are not about to start, especially since All-Pro running back Le’Veon Bell would demand a new contract before the ink dried on Brown’s new deal, and rightfully so.......

read more @ http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Dont-expect-a-new-deal-for-Brown-writers-say-36880190

LLT
04-20-2015, 06:40 PM
AB is better than all but 2-4 guys ahead of him on this list (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/wide-receiver/).

AB's game will not "age" well. Once his legs start to go, he will not have size or physicality to extend his career (Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, etc), so he has to get paid now.

After this year, his contract is not worth the paper it is printed on (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/antonio-brown/). Once that dead money sinks below 50-60% of the cap hit if the contract is honored -- you are totally a potential cut in the salary cap era. I'm guessing that is what the "more" will come down to here. Similar dollars in the end, just that AB is certain to see more of those dollars.

The contract made sense from both sides when it was signed. AB was an unproven potential commodity from the Steelers point of view. They signed him to a deal that POTENTIALLY paid him as a top 10-15 WR. AB gladly takes it, because as others mentioned what the hell else is an unproven 6th round WR going to do?

Now the deal does not make sense from AB's side. He is a PROVEN top tier WR and wants is contract to reflect that. In the modern NFL that means guaranteed money. I don't think I can blame him. If he is lucky he has 4 more years to earn basically all the money he is ever going to earn from using his best skill set -- NFL WR. I wouldn't want to work under a contract that basically said, we might pay you, we might not. We'll see.

Well thought out and perfectly stated!!! Couldnt agree more. Brown has been the epitome of humbleness and a consumate team player. Just pay the man.

zulater
04-20-2015, 06:46 PM
This is all about Drew Rosenhaus. Someone needs to tell AB that Rosenhaus ruined T.O.'s career. Don't let it happen to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Well thought out and perfectly stated!!! Couldnt agree more. Brown has been the epitome of humbleness and a consumate team player. Just pay the man.

Brown has 3 years left on his contract. No way do they address it this year.

Steeldude
04-20-2015, 06:49 PM

I should have worded it better. By move on I mean let him sit at home until he honors his contract that he agreed to. I wouldn't say a word to him. Prepare the season as if he was going to sit it out entirely. I am not saying cut him or trade him. Well, unless they get some great trade off offer like the Cowboys did for Herschel Walker.

86WARD
04-20-2015, 07:00 PM
Yeah, and that statement would be "We don't want to win many football games this year."

Which wouldn't surprise me any more...

ETL
04-20-2015, 07:39 PM
Simply put - re-doing AB's contract would open up a can of worms that this FO would never want.

If they did so to assuage AB - then any player who "thinks" he has outplayed his contract will now hold out and will use AB as an example of how the Steelers were able to satisfy him. If they don't re-do the contract for the next player - now the team is "dis-respecting" him and blah blah blah.

It will be much easier for the Steelers to have a firm policy regarding how they do contracts for them to conduct business in the future.

AB is not bigger than the team and if he wants to hold out - then it is his choice to not get paid $8 million. But for the general long term good of the team - I am with management on this. They cannot budge or it will be much harder in the future.

I love AB and everything about him. I do not hate him for what he is doing. This is a business decision and I understand it so but he must understand that the Steelers will need to make a business decision and its not just about him - its about doing business in the future as well.

SteelerFanInStl
04-20-2015, 07:40 PM
And it's not "throwing him under the bus" on the fans' part, either. The guy refused to show up. What the fuck other reaction do you want me to have?

And I don't care what other players are doing. I don't care. I really don't. It doesn't change the fact that what our guy is doing strikes me as selfish and underhanded, from a guy I really didn't expect any of that out of.

Yep. The Steelers showed faith in him to give him a very generous contract before he had done much of anything in the NFL and now he's holding out on them with 3 years left on his contract, demanding more money.

hawaiiansteeler
04-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Brown has 3 years left on his contract. No way do they address it this year.

exactly, AB isn't even halfway through his current contract...

vindrow
04-20-2015, 08:25 PM
Hines Ward 2005 Mk.II

Brown will get his money.

The difference here is that Hines only had 1 year left on his contract not 3.

The Steelers won't give him a new contract with that many years left.

ETL
04-20-2015, 09:57 PM
The difference here is that Hines only had 1 year left on his contract not 3.

The Steelers won't give him a new contract with that many years left.

Agree with you - and its not showing disrespect for AB - its just what the front office needs to do.

Anyone who has kids will know that if you give into one kid's demands - good luck trying to control the others. I am surprised AB doesn't know this already. Unless Rosenhaus has fed into the AB's head that with Bell suspended for 3 games - this is his time to use this as leverage. (i.e. - the Steelers will really need AB without Bell and this is the way to get paid)

Rosenhaus should already know that the Steelers front office won't budge on this. But he's a total slime bucket horse's penis who should have been aborted when his mom was pregnant with him - so I'm not surprised that he would try to pull something like this. AB needs to fire this sack of shite and get someone that knows how the Steelers do business.

katmandu
04-20-2015, 11:46 PM
Scott Brown, ESPN.com: (http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/13433/too-early-to-worry-about-ramifications-from-antonio-brown-wanting-new-deal) "Brown and his camp have to know that they have virtually no leverage with three years still left on Brown’s contract. The Steelers aren’t going to budge as far as a new deal for several reasons: They simply don’t do new contracts with players who aren’t even halfway through their current one.

"And they are not about to start, especially since All-Pro running back Le’Veon Bell would demand a new contract before the ink dried on Brown’s new deal, and rightfully so.......

read more @ http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/Dont-expect-a-new-deal-for-Brown-writers-say-36880190
This.

And at some point all this restructuring of Contracts will come back to bite the Steeler's in the ass. There's not an bottomless pit of money. Need to spread it out so the team as a whole doesn't suffer for those at the top.

Lady Steel
04-21-2015, 12:06 AM
Colin Dunlap, CBS Pittsburgh: (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/04/20/dunlap-antonio-brown-fighting-wrong-battle/#.VTVpUHNudZI.twitter) "AB will get KO’d in all of this."He won’t win. He won’t come close to winning.

"No, Antonio Brown will get knocked out in this fight by a family of old-school, North Side Irish street brawlers.

"If there’s one thing you learn in Pittsburgh it is this: Don’t pick a fight (or even what appears to be the semblance of a fight) with the Rooney Family."

This. Oh, so very much this! The Rooneys may very well look at this as AB being disrespectful, and that shit don't fly with the Rooneys. I dunno... :huh:

What I do know is that this has been a shitty day for Pittsburgh sports, and it all started with this mess. And then the Pens lost. And then my Buccos lost. Damn you, AB! :pin: But I still love ya!

Rotorhead
04-21-2015, 10:34 AM
Normally I would agree with alot of people points, but this is the Steelers. They have a track record of keeping their players that are fan favorites and not cutting them before their contracts ends. Brown may want more money, but the Steelers took the chance on him when they gave him big money originally and it paid off. Brown got alot of money, maybe it is not top 5 WR money, but it was better than what he showed when he signed. Finish your contract AB, and you will get another big one in 2 yrs. He should be playing for his next contract, 2 yrs of top 5 WR will net him another big contract.

Lady Steel
04-21-2015, 12:10 PM
Antonio hasn't tweeted since April 18th, and he usually tweets every day. Just sayin'.

hawaiiansteeler
04-21-2015, 03:47 PM
one of my favorite AB pics:

http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width620/img/chippewas_impact/photo/browns-steelers-football1jpg-04324032ae6bc848.jpg

smokin3000gt
04-21-2015, 03:54 PM
I understand he's trying to get paid like everyone else but I didn't expect this from him so early on. It's disappointing because most of the veteran players are gone so it's up to these guys to set the pace and the Steeler/team attitude. This is a bad example to set for the new guys.

Psycho Ward 86
04-21-2015, 04:08 PM
i bet if ben pulled this shit the fan base would go ape shit and say fuck this guy.

looneys. its a business. not showing up to these things happens ALL THE TIME. stop thinking like a fan and think like a player and agent.

Mojouw
04-21-2015, 04:10 PM
i bet if ben pulled this shit the fan base would go ape shit and say fuck this guy.

looneys. its a business. not showing up to these things happens ALL THE TIME. stop thinking like a fan and think like a player and agent.

Exactly. The laundry list of guys not showing up for these things around the league is long and distinguished. Michael Bennett in Seattle and Eric Weddle in SD to name just two. It doesn;t really matter until training camp.

steelreserve
04-21-2015, 04:56 PM

Why would I think like that? I'm not a player or an agent. I'm a fan, and there's nothing wrong with that. I might as well ask you why you don't think more like a doctor, or a bond-market analyst.

And as a FAN, I say FUCK THAT HORSESHIT. I don't care which other players skipped training camp, or who you're dating, or whether you feel disrespected, or whether you took a dump and announced it to the world on Twitter. I care about how what you're doing affects the chances of my team winning a football game that I'm going to watch on TV. That is the full extent of my relationship with you as an athlete; nothing more. This doesn't help, so fuck you. If you get it resolved reasonably and come back, I will take the "fuck you" back.

I know, I know. "But if you were in his situation you'd do the exact same thing!" No. I don't know what I'd do. None of you know what you'd do either. I can only tell you what I think as a fan, not play pretend in some crazy hypothetical situation.

86WARD
04-21-2015, 06:27 PM
one of my favorite AB pics:

http://imgick.mlive.com/home/mlive-media/width620/img/chippewas_impact/photo/browns-steelers-football1jpg-04324032ae6bc848.jpg

One of? It is THEEE Antonio Brown Picture!

Lady Steel
04-22-2015, 12:08 AM

fansince'76
04-22-2015, 12:22 AM

I'd say roughly 30-40% of them do that on a regular basis for no real reason at all anyway. Hell, Ben can't even make a passing comment to the press without it being overanalyzed to the Nth degree and fans jumping all over his shit about it. And God forbid he has a sub-par game...

Psycho Ward 86
04-22-2015, 12:23 AM
Why would I think like that? I'm not a player or an agent. I'm a fan, and there's nothing wrong with that. I might as well ask you why you don't think more like a doctor, or a bond-market analyst.

And as a FAN, I say FUCK THAT HORSESHIT. I don't care which other players skipped training camp, or who you're dating, or whether you feel disrespected, or whether you took a dump and announced it to the world on Twitter. I care about how what you're doing affects the chances of my team winning a football game that I'm going to watch on TV. That is the full extent of my relationship with you as an athlete; nothing more. This doesn't help, so fuck you. If you get it resolved reasonably and come back, I will take the "fuck you" back.

I know, I know. "But if you were in his situation you'd do the exact same thing!" No. I don't know what I'd do. None of you know what you'd do either. I can only tell you what I think as a fan, not play pretend in some crazy hypothetical situation.

so that you better understand the situation from the player's point of view. I am insinuating that fans should empathize, not sympathize, because at the end of the day thats all we can do since none of us are players.

by the way, do people realize that these workouts so far are VOLUNTARY and that veteran players miss them all the time, whether it be a contract situation or to workout somewhere else that they prefer to train? if Antonio Brown starts casually skipping out on minicamp and OTA's then it's time to start getting peeved imo. although even then, his desire for a new contract would remain valid. i am by no means pleased with the situation. i was hoping like many others that we would be able to get away with underpaying antonio for a little bit longer through his contract, but if his last 2 years are any indication (and based on his work ethic), that was a laughable wish.

i also dont understand why many people seem to be implying that these contracts are supposed to be set in stone. pay cuts, restructures, extensions, deletions happen all the time. antonio's angle is pretty understandable

- - - Updated - - -

this tweet probably only made 3 steeler fans in the whole world put their torches and pitch forks away

Lady Steel
04-22-2015, 12:50 AM
this tweet probably only made 3 steeler fans in the whole world put their torches and pitch forks away

A lot of the subtweets or replies or whatever they're called are actually blaming this on his agent. Antonio was called a hypocrite by one fan, and was told by some others not to do it. He's actually not getting the flack I thought he would be getting, not for this tweet anyway, and I'm glad about that. I feel badly for him. It's a tough spot for him to be in.

Drazo85
04-22-2015, 01:01 AM
A lot of the subtweets or replies or whatever they're called are actually blaming this on his agent. Antonio was called a hypocrite by one fan, and was told by some others not to do it. He's actually not getting the flack I thought he would be getting, not for this tweet anyway, and I'm glad about that. I feel badly for him. It's a tough spot for him to be in.

Its tough indeed but he choosed to travel that road. Hope everything work out for all three parties involved (AB, Rooneys and fans).

stillers4me
04-22-2015, 05:18 AM
The Steelers opened voluntary offseason workouts Monday with one notable player missing.

All-Pro wide receiver Antonio Brown won’t be attending any of the Steelers voluntary workouts, his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, said.

Beyond that, we’ll see.

This caused much consternation among Steelers fans. Perhaps, this is why the team hosted a number of potential first-round wide receiver prospects in their predraft visits?

Or maybe not............

read more @ http://www.observer-reporter.com/article/20150420/COLUMN0103/150429972#.VTd0y5PTn5z

stillers4me
04-22-2015, 05:23 AM
Its tough indeed but he choosed to travel that road. Hope everything work out for all three parties involved (AB, Rooneys and fans).

Bingo. The agent works for the player, not the other way around. He's chosen this road, I just hope the drama doesn't escalate into training camp. We finally got this offense humming and nobody wants to see it fall apart already. It's bad enough we have to plan for 3 games, with the NFL's toughest schedule without Bell. And now this.

stillers4me
04-22-2015, 05:27 AM
It is way too early to think about a battle of wills taking place in late July and August between All-Pro wide receiver Antonio Brown and the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers).

The workout that Brown missed Monday is voluntary. All of them are, as are most of the practices that will take place in late May through the middle of June.

If Brown, who clearly wants a contract that better reflects his standing as one of the premier wideouts in the game, skips the mandatory minicamp in June then we may be heading toward some drama.

But there is a long time between the first day of offseason workouts and the start of training camp.

Brown and his camp have to know that they have virtually no leverage with three years still left on Brown’s contract...............

Read more @ http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/84313/too-early-to-worry-about-ramifications-of-antonio-brown-wanting-new-deal

TD's & Beer
04-22-2015, 09:02 AM
I understand he's trying to get paid like everyone else but I didn't expect this from him so early on. It's disappointing because most of the veteran players are gone so it's up to these guys to set the pace and the Steeler/team attitude. This is a bad example to set for the new guys.

He has the Steelers over a barrel

Brown is entering the fourth year of the six-year, $43 million contract, and is set to make $6 million in guaranteed money, with a $1.7 million signing bonus. Brown is likely looking for a deal akin to the 8-year, $132 million deal Calvin Johnson signed in 2012, when Johnson was 26 years old.

Brown’s holdout isn’t a sign of greed; it is a sign of knowledge of the business that is the NFL. He will be approaching 30 years old by the time his current contract is up, which would drive down his value in contract talks greatly. No team will be willing to hand a 30 year-old receiver a longterm deal that is high in guaranteed dollars. After establishing himself as the top receiver in the NFL at 26 years old, his time to cash in is now.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are notorious for playing hardball in contract negotiations, expressing an unwillingness to take care of their receivers in recent years. When Wallace expressed displeasure with his contract in 2012, the Steelers turned around and handed Brown a six-year deal, and lost Wallace following the 2012 Season. The team also refused to pay Emmanuel Sanders, and lost him quickly in free agency to Denver in 2014.

Brown’s situation may be different, as the Steelers offense would be devastated without him. Outside of Martavis Bryant and Markus Wheaton, there isn’t any quality depth within the receiving corps. Brown is seemingly unstoppablewith his precise route running and other worldly quickness.

Brown’s displeasure with his contract is not a promising sign for Steelers brass and fans alike

http://isportsweb.com/2015/04/21/pittsburgh-steelers-antonio-brown-holds-out/

teegre
04-22-2015, 09:56 AM
1. The owners can cut a player at will. Yet, we never seem to mention that fact (and call the owners names for "not honoring the contract").

2. There is no "guaranteed" contract, except for signing bonus. Players want bigger bonuses (more guaranteed money)... in case the owners do not "honor the contract."

SOLUTION:
Extend AB, with essentially the same annual salary, but with more guaranteed money.

AB makes (on average) $8 million per season. Extend him by two years, at a slightly higher annual salary... with a LARGER (than normal) portion in signing bonus. 5 years/$45 million ($9 million per season... $1 million more than his current annual salary). $15 million of it is signing bonus.

$15 million is guaranteed.
The annual salaries would be backloaded: $4 million, $4 million, $5 million, $8 million, $9 million.

Steeldude
04-22-2015, 10:17 AM
Fine him the maximum amount for each regular season game he misses.

TD's & Beer
04-22-2015, 12:00 PM
So, if we take a WR in the 1st rd - then we can worry?

Bluecoat96
04-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Well....according to Antonio Brown, he's spending time with his newborn and can't wait to get back with his teammates. He tweeted about it today I guess. (can't check Twitter at work) Could it be that the media is....get ready for it.....wrong again?!?!

I'm sure he wants a new contract, but unless he's a total idiot he is probably well aware of how the Steelers do business.

Psycho Ward 86
04-22-2015, 02:03 PM
1. The owners can cut a player at will. Yet, we never seem to mention that fact (and call the owners names for "not honoring the contract").

2. There is no "guaranteed" contract, except for signing bonus. Players want bigger bonuses (more guaranteed money)... in case the owners do not "honor the contract."

SOLUTION:
Extend AB, with essentially the same annual salary, but with more guaranteed money.

AB makes (on average) $8 million per season. Extend him by two years, at a slightly higher annual salary... with a LARGER (than normal) portion in signing bonus. 5 years/$45 million ($9 million per season... $1 million more than his current annual salary). $15 million of it is signing bonus.

$15 million is guaranteed.
The annual salaries would be backloaded: $4 million, $4 million, $5 million, $8 million, $9 million.

he'd be pretty dumb to take that honestly. no way he gets less than $12 million a year with what some of the other guys are getting. JJ Watt and Antonio Brown would be perenial winners of the non-QB MVP award if there was one, and that warrants a lot of money

teegre
04-22-2015, 02:12 PM
he'd be pretty dumb to take that honestly. no way he gets less than $12 million a year with what some of the other guys are getting. JJ Watt and Antonio Brown would be perenially winners of the non-QB MVP award if there was one, and that warrants a lot of money

True... if it were the last year of his contract. But, he has three years to go; so, the Steelers have quite a bit of leverage. It's not like AB can afford to sit out three entire seasons...

That said, you're right: the numbers should be higher.

I guess my point is: players want bigger signing bonuses. They truly don't care about annual salaries and/or length of contract. So, if the Steelers could pay him around the same amount annually, while increasing his singing bonus, AB would likely be satisfied.

TD's & Beer
04-22-2015, 05:25 PM
Antonio, don't be doin' this shit

c'mon man

hawaiiansteeler
04-22-2015, 05:33 PM

not if that WR is named either Amari Cooper, Kevin White or DeVante Parker...

TD's & Beer
04-22-2015, 05:44 PM
I have to say, I would take Amari Cooper

GO BUCKEYES!

http://www.cbssports.com/images/blogs/CFP-final-OSU-42-20.jpg

Steeldude
04-22-2015, 05:45 PM

Even if Brown left I wouldn't waste a 1st round pick on a WR.

TD's & Beer
04-23-2015, 06:58 AM
Even if Brown left I wouldn't waste a 1st round pick on a WR.

sure, we could waste it on another tweener bust at LB but I'm figuring the D will suck anyway, might as well get Ben a new weapon to score those 35 pts a game we're gonna need every week.

SteelMember
04-23-2015, 08:32 AM
Another thread on this subject... ZZZZzzzzz

86WARD
04-23-2015, 08:38 AM

This

Steeldude
04-23-2015, 09:33 AM
sure, we could waste it on another tweener bust at LB but I'm figuring the D will suck anyway, might as well get Ben a new weapon to score those 35 pts a game we're gonna need every week.

WRs can be found in the later rounds. More pressing needs than WR.

X-Terminator
04-23-2015, 10:01 AM
OK, that does it. For those of you who constantly complain about there being multiple threads about the same topic, we've already explained this numerous times in the past. We do it because the threads in this forum as well as the Around the NFL forum go out to Twitter and Facebook as news items. Thereby keeping those who may run across our feed/page but don't necessarily want to join a forum informed of what is going on. We don't do it to annoy people or piss people off. On top of that, the times when we DID combine threads into one topic, we had complaints about that too, from people who didn't want their threads buried. So, as usual, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

hawaiiansteeler
04-23-2015, 12:47 PM

hey, one can never have enough threads about Antonio Brown having children out of wedlock...:wink02:

SteelMember
04-23-2015, 12:52 PM
OK, that does it. For those of you who constantly complain about there being multiple threads about the same topic, we've already explained this numerous times in the past. We do it because the threads in this forum as well as the Around the NFL forum go out to Twitter and Facebook as news items. Thereby keeping those who may run across our feed/page but don't necessarily want to join a forum informed of what is going on. We don't do it to annoy people or piss people off. On top of that, the times when we DID combine threads into one topic, we had complaints about that too, from people who didn't want their threads buried. So, as usual, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.

Not sure where this is coming from... maybe some deeper issue. Post all the side bars to the same story you like.

tube517
04-27-2015, 09:57 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/04/steelers-wr-antonio-brown-present-monday-for-voluntary-workouts/

Oh, but AB is selfish. :sarcasm:

teegre
04-27-2015, 10:00 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/04/steelers-wr-antonio-brown-present-monday-for-voluntary-workouts/

Oh, but AB is selfish. :sarcasm:

Maybe AB is so tired, from staying up with his newborn, that he simply forgot to act selfish.

:director: FIRE BABIES!!!

Lady Steel
04-27-2015, 12:03 PM

steelreserve
04-27-2015, 12:12 PM
So basically ... some idiot made the whole thing up?

fansince'76
04-27-2015, 12:14 PM

Or Brown realized he has zero leverage at the moment...

Lady Steel
04-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Steelers receiver Brown attends workouts despite contract issues

Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown wasn't planning on showing up to any offseason workouts and threatened to skip at least part of training camp because he wanted a new contract.

Well, that all lasted about a week.

Brown was at the Steelers' facility on Monday taking part in the second week of the NFL's Phase 1 offseason program.

“We had a good day today in the offseason program. He was in the group today so I will leave it at that,” Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said during Monday's news conference previewing the NFL Draft.

Brown wasn't planning to participate in any of the nine-week voluntary offseason sessions — including four weeks of organized team activities set to start May 26 — and was contemplating skipping mandatory minicamp and training camp because he was seeking a new contract, an industry source told Trib Total Media last week.

Brown, the 14th highest paid receiver in the NFL, signed a five-year extension to his rookie contract in 2012 that was worth close to $42 million despite starting only three games in his two years in the league. Brown is due $6 million this year, $8.25 million in 2016 and $8.71 million in 2017.

Brown could still skip voluntary OTAs.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8241094-74/brown-week-offseason#axzz3YX3B2el1

steelreserve
04-27-2015, 12:43 PM

This would probably be a good time for the front office to make it clear that as long as he's represented by Drew Rosenhaus, they won't be discussing any new contract terms period. If they've got any other players using him for an agent, best to do that for them too.

tube517
04-27-2015, 01:04 PM

Can't say it hasn't happened before *cough* Ian Makeupareport *cough*

teegre
04-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Can't say it hasn't happened before *cough* Ian Makeupareport *cough*

Exactly.

As as soon as I saw his name, I though: BULLSHIT.

vasteeler
04-27-2015, 02:48 PM

harrison working out in full sweats.....thats chuck norris like

zulater
04-27-2015, 06:08 PM

Bingo! Regardless it's a smart man who knows when to retreat.

SteelerFanInStl
04-27-2015, 09:25 PM
harrison working out in full sweats.....thats chuck norris like

It looks like James borrowed those sweats from McCullers.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2015, 12:15 AM

no. antonio brown knocked up his lady exactly 9 months ago so that he could passive-aggressively make it seem like he's holding out because of his baby or holding out because of his contract for leverage.

that god damn evil genius. how could we have been so naive.

#babygate

zulater
04-28-2015, 01:13 AM
Think this thread can be safely closed now. :coffee:

Hawkman
04-28-2015, 08:55 PM
:lol: