PDA

View Full Version : Good players or sleepers in later rounds

LLT
04-19-2015, 10:14 PM
Like every year there is usually some talent that flies under the radar. Who are some of the players that you think would be great pickups on the 2nd or third day?

For me....I love Davis Tull, OLB out of Chattanooga... 6'2 246 lbs....ran a 4.57 at his proday...looked sharp in all the drill at the combine... had a 42.5 vertical jump and an 11 foot long jump. Also showed some strength with 26 repetitions on the bench. Small school prospect with big heart and legitimate skills. If we don't pick up an OLB until the 3rd round..this is the guy I want.

My second pick would be C.J. Uzomah, the TE from Auburn... 6'6 262 pounds. One of those players who was the victim of a scheme that never highlighted his talents. Some scouts describe him as having "receiver-like skills". Long arms...soft hands...needs to work on blocking but the tools are definitely there. Ran a 4.62 at his pro day and earned some time talking with the Steelers staff.

hawaiiansteeler
04-19-2015, 10:28 PM
Like every year there is usually some talent that flies under the radar. Who are some of the players that you think would be great pickups on the 2nd or third day?

For me....I love Davis Tull, OLB out of Chattanooga... 6'2 246 lbs....ran a 4.57 at his proday...looked sharp in all the drill at the combine... had a 42.5 vertical jump and an 11 foot long jump. Also showed some strength with 26 repetitions on the bench. Small school prospect with big heart and legitimate skills. If we don't pick up an OLB until the 3rd round..this is the guy I want.

My second pick would be C.J. Uzomah, the TE from Auburn... 6'6 262 pounds. One of those players who was the victim of a scheme that never highlighted his talents. Some scouts describe him as having "receiver-like skills". Long arms...soft hands...needs to work on blocking but the tools are definitely there. Ran a 4.62 at his pro day and earned some time talking with the Steelers staff.

I like both of those players...:yup:

Steeldude
04-20-2015, 01:02 AM

For me....I love Davis Tull, OLB out of Chattanooga... 6'2 246 lbs....ran a 4.57 at his proday...looked sharp in all the drill at the combine... had a 42.5 vertical jump and an 11 foot long jump. Also showed some strength with 26 repetitions on the bench. Small school prospect with big heart and legitimate skills. If we don't pick up an OLB until the 3rd round..this is the guy I want

I like the pick also. I like his intelligence(4.0 GPA). You can't have enough intelligent, good character players on the team. The one drawback I see is he is going to have surgery on his shoulder and will be out 4 months.

hawaiiansteeler
04-20-2015, 01:19 AM
I like the pick also. I like his intelligence(4.0 GPA). You can't have enough intelligent, good character players on the team. The one drawback I see is he is going to have surgery on his shoulder and will be out 4 months.

Tull underwent surgery to repair a torn right labrum in early March but you're right, his availability for the start of the season is questionable.

I still think he would be a steal on Day 3 of the draft...

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=93950&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

Steeldude
04-20-2015, 05:01 AM
Tull underwent surgery to repair a torn right labrum in early March but you're right, his availability for the start of the season is questionable.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=93950&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

I am all for the pick on day 3 or later : ) It just sucks that he will most likely miss all of camp.

Here is a better link http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/davis-tull?id=2552290

teegre
04-20-2015, 05:42 AM
Lynden Trail, OLB, Norfolk

He was at Florida, but transferred to Norfolk. He's a physical anomaly, who will need time & coaching. But, he could be one of those late-round, small-school gems who turns into a perennial Pro Bowler.

LLT
04-20-2015, 08:47 AM
Lynden Trail, OLB, Norfolk

He was at Florida, but transferred to Norfolk. He's a physical anomaly, who will need time & coaching. But, he could be one of those late-round, small-school gems who turns into a perennial Pro Bowler.

Another good prospect...but if I was going to draft him I would at least consider adding 20 lbs to his frame and draft him as a 3-4 DE. I know he played OLB in college but he seems to be a 4-3 DE prospect at his current size. That being said...there is no denying that he has some impressive tape at the OLB position.

teegre
04-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Another good prospect...but if I was going to draft him I would at least consider adding 20 lbs to his frame and draft him as a 3-4 DE. I know he played OLB in college but he seems to be a 4-3 DE prospect at his current size. That being said...there is no denying that he has some impressive tape at the OLB position.

Yep: he's the perfect example of a tweener.

He he reminds me of Jevon Kearse: not really a 3-4 OLB, but not really a 4-3 DE either.

Psycho Ward 86
04-20-2015, 02:39 PM
I hear that Darryl Roberts, the CB from Marshall that we brought in today is allowing 0.88 yards per coverage snap.

LLT
04-20-2015, 05:20 PM
I hear that Darryl Roberts, the CB from Marshall that we brought in today is allowing 0.88 yards per coverage snap.

Looks like the Steelers are bringing in CB prospects from every round. Roberts is a pretty good prospect in the later rounds

one side only
04-21-2015, 08:13 AM

Somebody besides me is reading PFF's new College Football Focus.

Drazo85
04-21-2015, 08:44 AM
Kyle Emanuel, North Dakota State, OLB, also has visited with Steelers.

LLT
04-21-2015, 09:13 AM
Kyle Emanuel, North Dakota State, OLB, also has visited with Steelers.

You are hitting on something that a lot of people miss. When we draft a OLB it is going to be for the left strong side. OLB's like Beasley...Dupree...Davis Tull...and Kyle Emanuel fit that criteria. Most sites have him as a 6th rounder. I think he is a late 4th to mid 5th round prospect.

one side only
04-21-2015, 09:57 AM
You are hitting on something that a lot of people miss. When we draft a OLB it is going to be for the left strong side. OLB's like Beasley...Davis Tull...and Kyle Emanuel fit that criteria. Most sites have him as a 6th rounder. I think he is a late 4th to mid 5th round prospect.

NFL.com projects Emanuel to go in the third round, but that is the highest I've seen. I would think he becomes a hot commodity by the 5th, so if the Steelers want him, they should pull the trigger in the 4th.

Emanuel will visit the Steelers tomorrow.

LLT
04-21-2015, 10:23 AM
NFL.com projects Emanuel to go in the third round, but that is the highest I've seen. I would think he becomes a hot commodity by the 5th, so if the Steelers want him, they should pull the trigger in the 4th.

Emanuel will visit the Steelers tomorrow.

There might be some validity into him being taken in the 3rd round. This is a good draft for OLB's....but strong side LBers are a hot commodity.

Steeldude
04-21-2015, 10:49 AM
You are hitting on something that a lot of people miss. When we draft a OLB it is going to be for the left strong side. OLB's like Beasley...Dupree...Davis Tull...and Kyle Emanuel fit that criteria. Most sites have him as a 6th rounder. I think he is a late 4th to mid 5th round prospect.

I am not so sure. Jarvis Jones has shown nothing as of yet. If Moats plays well then this year's rookie OLB could be playing for the right side when Harrison leaves. According to Jason Worilds, the left side has less pass coverage responsibilities. I would believe it is also easier to rush the QB from the left than the right. I am hoping they draft someone who they feel can effectively play either side.

LLT
04-21-2015, 11:10 AM
I am not so sure. Jarvis Jones has shown nothing as of yet. If Moats plays well then this year's rookie OLB could be playing for the right side when Harrison leaves. According to Jason Worilds, the left side has less pass coverage responsibilities. I would believe it is also easier to rush the QB from the left than the right. I am hoping they draft someone who they feel can effectively play either side.

I'm pretty confident that the first OLB they draft will be a strong side LBer. And, for us, the right side SHOULD be the easier path to the quarterback if only because Cam is playing in front of them. The good news is that players like Tull are strong, fast, AND athletic...and could probably play on either side.

Mojouw
04-21-2015, 11:32 AM
I would guess the "type" of OLB targeted all depends on where Butler wants to go with the defense. If he wants to go more of a "Leo/Elephant" path like some recent tweaks on a classic 3-4 then they will need a bigger OLB. If they want to stay more "true" to the zone blitz roots, then they will need another OLB that can function in space.

hawaiiansteeler
04-21-2015, 11:56 AM
There might be some validity into him being taken in the 3rd round. This is a good draft for OLB's....but strong side LBers are a hot commodity.

Kyle Emanuel only has a 31" arm length which will make it difficult for him to keep NFL blockers from getting into his body...

Pappy
04-21-2015, 06:30 PM

The surgery might be to our advantage. Teams tend to stay away from players who are injured or had recent surgery. Maybe we can even pick him up a round or two later, that would be great.

one side only
04-21-2015, 07:50 PM
I like Terrell Watson from Azuza Pacific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97cmu_m8EBI

LLT
04-21-2015, 08:16 PM
The surgery might be to our advantage. Teams tend to stay away from players who are injured or had recent surgery. Maybe we can even pick him up a round or two later, that would be great.

Truth....that's how we got Heath.

Psycho Ward 86
04-21-2015, 08:17 PM
I'm pretty confident that the first OLB they draft will be a strong side LBer. And, for us, the right side SHOULD be the easier path to the quarterback if only because Cam is playing in front of them. The good news is that players like Tull are strong, fast, AND athletic...and could probably play on either side.

dare i say it?

dont sleep on Tuitt!

LLT
04-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Kyle Emanuel only has a 31" arm length which will make it difficult for him to keep NFL blockers from getting into his body...

Didn't show at the East-West Shrine Game. He muscled past linemen all week in practice and scouts were pretty impressed with his willingness to play to the whistle....full effort guy.

hawaiiansteeler
04-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Didn't show at the East-West Shrine Game. He muscled past linemen all week in practice and scouts were pretty impressed with his willingness to play to the whistle....full effort guy.

the Steelers are obviously interested enough in Emanuel to bring him in for a visit...

teegre
04-22-2015, 09:51 AM
dare i say it?

dont sleep on Tuitt!

Tuitt & Heyward are going to be the best 3-4 DEs in the league by the end of the 2016 season... at which point, they might be the best duo that the Steelers have ever had.

hawaiiansteeler
04-24-2015, 12:30 AM
Bill Cowher: Steelers are one good draft away from contention

By Daniel Sager

It doesn’t seem like too much time has passed between Bill Cowher hoisting the Lombardi Trophy as head coach of the Steelers and sitting in the CBS booth as an analyst on Sundays, but it’s already been nearly a decade since Cowher’s retirement. In that time, it seems as if he’s fought yearly speculation regarding an NFL return. With a 161-99 career coaching mark, Cowher certainly knows a thing or two about football, especially the Steelers, and he feels if they can secure a quality cornerback and pass rusher in the upcoming draft, then they are close to contention, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette.

“You’d like to upgrade the secondary and find a pass-rusher,” Cowher said. “It comes down to those two things. If they can get those two things, they’re not that far away from being a good team. When we were building in the 2000s, we were going to be a defensive team and one that runs the football. We had to win games like that. We had to build a defense.”

Cowher’s defensive units during his time in Pittsburgh were some of the toughest in franchise history. Even the great Steelers defenses of the late 2000’s had their groundwork laid by the man who brought the Steelers their fifth Super Bowl. Jerome Bettis was the ultimate smash-mouth running, and with the defensive to match, Cowher’s Steelers and Tomlin’s team of today are vastly different.

The 2015 Steelers will be an offensive juggernaut, just like they were last season. The defense still has catching up to do, and great defenders simply don’t grow on a tree. Even the good ones take coaching and training to determine their success, and even then the likelihood of finding a new Troy Polamalu or a new James Harrison is a long shot.

Cowher understood what it took to breed success; his coaching record shows it and his legacy demonstrates it. Tomlin has also enjoyed success, but also has something Cowher didn’t; a franchise quarterback. Ben Roethlisberger allows Tomlin to build a team around him, whereas the lack of a great quarterback sort of forced Cowher’s hand in regards to team building.

The Steelers won’t be built the same today as they were 15 years ago because the priority has been placed on speed on both sides of the ball. The Ryan Shazier’s and Kam Chancellor’s are the future, so Tomlin must make due with what’s available.

And Cowher is correct; this team isn’t far from competing. They did last season with a suspect defense, and can likely do the same this year. Cornerback and pass rusher are the team’s two biggest needs, and not coincidently, they’ve brought six pass rushers and nine cornerbacks to Pittsburgh for visits; a full 50 percent of their allotted visitation. If Pittsburgh can improve their defense at all, like Cowher mentions, they will compete right now, and well into the future.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/04/23/bill-cowher-steelers-are-one-good-draft-away-from-contention/