PDA

View Full Version : Hartwig has concerns about his future

Galax Steeler
08-27-2010, 03:34 AM
I know we have some threads about the center position but there is some good reading on our receivers as well.

Justin Hartwig said he is not aware of any final decision that rookie Maurkice Pouncey is the new starting center, even though the Steelers' No. 1 draft choice has been working solely with the first-team offense.

Nonetheless, Hartwig said he is worried about his future with the team because he sees what is happening with Pouncey.

"Absolutely," Hartwig, a starter since 2008, said Thursday after practice. "Those are the things you think about when you're starting and, all of sudden, you got another guy playing in front of you. Obviously, you think about your future. That's the nature of this business.

"I've had the upper hand in these situations and I've had the lower hand. You kind of take things in stride."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10239/1083091-66.stm#ixzz0xnFOq4tP

Steeldude
08-27-2010, 08:45 AM
"I don't have any control or say over anything," Hartwig said. "To my knowledge, no final decisions have been made. But I'm not worrying about things I can't control. I'm battling my butt off. I want to be a starter. I'm very capable of being a starter. That's how I prepare every day, regardless if I'm with the [first-team offense] or the 2s.

"At the end of the day, I want to be a Steeler. That's my goal -- to be here and contribute however I can."

i wonder if he could play RT

st33lersguy
08-27-2010, 08:52 AM
Hartwig is not the team's future, he's the past

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-27-2010, 10:15 AM
He sees the writing on the wall. Its like Carolina all over again. At least he had a decent career and some SB rings and he might find a home after this season with some team that needs depth.

SteelMember
08-27-2010, 10:35 AM
Well, this definately reads better than the "no comment" from the other article, but wanting only gets you so far when younger talent is breathing down your neck. If he doesn't start, 2 million a year for a backup with a guy like Legursky here seems more than I'd be willing to spend. I can't say I see him staying for the "mentor" role either.

He still holds value as a backup, but he will need to come to terms that is all he may be now.

cold-hard-steel
08-27-2010, 11:15 AM
Well, this definately reads better than the "no comment" from the other article, but wanting only gets you so far when younger talent is breathing down your neck. If he doesn't start, 2 million a year for a backup with a guy like Legursky here seems more than I'd be willing to spend. I can't say I see him staying for the "mentor" role either.

He still holds value as a backup, but he will need to come to terms that is all he may be now.

I agree about his worth as a back up at his position. If he can play another position,well in Tomlins eyes he is even more valuable. If he is willing to break out that hometown discount card,then i see no reason we could not squeeze him in somewhere. If not,then thanks for your services bro.Seems he likes being a Steeler. Who wouldn't ?

BigBenFn7
08-27-2010, 11:29 AM
Interesting because I'm not nearly as concerned about his future. Bring on the rookie!

7willBheaven
08-27-2010, 12:24 PM
i wonder if he could play RT

Thats what ive started to wonder as well. For some reason i thought he was a G in college but i wouldnt keep him for a C/G backup, we have guys better than him at those spots. I'm sure its too late for this...but i wish we could of seem him at RT...he might be better than Adams (though i give Adams the benefit of the doubt at this point being that he is learning a new position/etc). The only way I'd keep Hartwig is if he was a starter, a backup even if he was a backup C/T we have younger guys that can fill the backup roles just fine.

Hindes204
08-27-2010, 12:51 PM
I commented on this a few weeks ago, I honestly dont think he will be on the final roster

7willBheaven
08-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I commented on this a few weeks ago, I honestly dont think he will be on the final roster

No offense to Hartwig...i thank him/etc for what he's done and all...but if Pouncey starts at C...Hartwig better not be on this team...that would mean he's taking a spot from some of our younger guys (who have more potential/etc).

HometownGal
08-27-2010, 02:47 PM

You'd hear no complaints out of me, but they just may let him play out the season on the pine as "insurance" in case of injury.

JayC
08-28-2010, 12:13 AM
package hartwig and arnaz battle to the rams for a 3rd round draft pick

Galax Steeler
08-28-2010, 04:00 AM

That would be nice but I don't see that a happening.

Psycho Ward 86
08-28-2010, 12:53 PM

That's a horrible deal for the Rams. They don't need a center (or a backup interior lineman for that matter), they have one of the best centers in Jason Brown, and a washed up aging wide receiver? lol

Chidi29
08-28-2010, 01:25 PM
That's a horrible deal for the Rams. They don't need a center (or a backup interior lineman for that matter), they have one of the best centers in Jason Brown, and a washed up aging wide receiver? lol

Agreed.

Chidi29
08-28-2010, 01:26 PM
There isn't a big enough difference in talent between Hartwig and guys like Legursky and Foster to justify the cost of keeping Hartwig on the bench. And he's much less versatile (or at the very least, has much less experience playing other positions).

Craic
08-28-2010, 02:10 PM
There isn't a big enough difference in talent between Hartwig and guys like Legursky and Foster to justify the cost of keeping Hartwig on the bench. And he's much less versatile (or at the very least, has much less experience playing other positions).

I absolutely agree. Furthermore, I gotta wonder if there really is any difference in talent between Hartwig and Legursky. Personally, I think it is just more experience than talent. I say drop Hartwig, let Pouncey take the center role, and Leg. be his backup, with the odd stint at FB for the "big beef" plays.

Chidi29
08-28-2010, 03:10 PM
I absolutely agree. Furthermore, I gotta wonder if there really is any difference in talent between Hartwig and Legursky. Personally, I think it is just more experience than talent. I say drop Hartwig, let Pouncey take the center role, and Leg. be his backup, with the odd stint at FB for the "big beef" plays.

I'd agree with that assesment. Legursky, just like Hartwig, has had to put in the extra work to learn the nuances of the position and get them down pat. If he never did that, Legursky would have never made this team. The two are fairly similar with Legursky being a better run blocker, cheaper, and a lot more versatile.

Killer
08-28-2010, 07:57 PM
I picked Hartwig to have a roster spot - but just as a back-up. He could lose that.

Oh well

Fuck that turtle m'fer - he's on his back more that a $2 dolla hooker.

Pouncey is The Man, I am convinced. Come hell or highwater, let him play.

I hath spoken

pepsyman1
08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Wow! How incredibly lame did Hartwig look on that last series starting out the 4th quarter. He got blown out on every play. I never thought he was that good to start with, seeing that kind of lame effort now that he's been beaten out I'm more than okay with them letting him walk and let Legursky be the back up.

The Duke
08-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Well, he should

he looked like **** out there

and against 2nd/3rd stringers!

Edman
08-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Hartwig just played himself off the team, as did several others in this game. Thanks for making our decision easier, man.

JayC
08-29-2010, 11:00 PM
would be nice if we just cut this bum, hes not worth a dime after his performance tonight against back ups

tube517
08-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Hartwig Out
The Big Legursky In

oneforthetoe
08-29-2010, 11:48 PM
I've been a supporter of Hartwig in the past , but he did not look good tonight. The problem is that not many others, save for Pouncy, looked much better. We need some veterans to take a look at Pouncy and themselves and then make the decision to follow the "rooks" lead.

7willBheaven
08-29-2010, 11:57 PM
He didnt do anything to help his case tonight...he just stunk the joint up against 3rd stringers, wow. I've supported him in the past and he's done OK for us and got himself a ring, but it just seems like he's given up...who knows...maybe it was just a bad game (as he claims he wants to be here one way or another)...but as i've said before if he isnt a starter for us, he does not need to be on this team...and its clear now he will not be a starter. Thanks for your services Justin, hope someone signs you so you can continue having an income and playing the sport you enjoy.

Galax Steeler
08-30-2010, 03:26 AM
I think without question Pouncey will be the man this year. It looked like he done everything right he didn't let no one near the quarterback the entire time he played.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-30-2010, 01:08 PM
I never thought they would put a rookie in to start at C the season opener. I think its gonna happen though. Hartwig could be cut and they end up keeping Legursky and Urbik instead.

Indo
08-30-2010, 01:41 PM
The Rookie is lookin' mighty impressive

SirHulka
08-31-2010, 02:46 AM
Seems he likes being a Steeler.

I think what he really likes is being paid. I guess he WAS an improvement over Mahan (who wouldn't be?) but if you guys cut him, I don't really see a market for him.

(Too bad, too. I kinda liked him as your starting center.)