PDA

View Full Version : Steelers name player engagement coordinator

Lady Steel
04-15-2015, 10:38 PM
The Steelers on Wednesday named Terry Cousin as their player engagement coordinator, replacing Ray Jackson, who held a similar role until leaving earlier in the year to go to Denver.

Cousin will assist players with life skills and help with their transition to life after football.

Cousin, who spent last season as the Bears' director of player engagement, played 12 seasons in the NFL for seven teams. He originally signed with the Bears in 1997 as an undrafted rookie free agent out of South Carolina.

Also, longtime Steelers trainer John Norwig will be inducted into the Pennsylvania Athletic Trainers' Hall of Fame in June. Norwig, a Penn State graduate, is entering his 25th season as the Steelers' head athletic trainer.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8179588-74/steelers-cousin-engagement#axzz3XIsRwv31

Steeldude
04-16-2015, 02:53 AM
What a ridiculous job. How dumb do people need to be for this job to exist?

86WARD
04-16-2015, 05:34 AM
I'd be willing to bet it's one of those positions that each team is mandated to have...lol.

fansince'76
04-16-2015, 06:45 AM
1. Don't do stupid shit that will get you thrown in jail. It isn't that hard to do. Really.

2. Sacrifice some of the bling and put some money away for a rainy day.

3. Stay off Twitter.

Seems simple enough. Where do I apply?

Steeldude
04-16-2015, 07:35 AM
1. Don't do stupid shit that will get you thrown in jail. It isn't that hard to do. Really.

2. Sacrifice some of the bling and put some money away for a rainy day.

3. Stay off Twitter.

Seems simple enough. Where do I apply?

I really don't get it. It is just so hard for me to understand. Who can't put aside a few million? Even if you were brought up on streets/poverty you would think some common sense would surface, but I guess not.

If I was playing the NFL my first reaction would be...

Me: Yes! I am in the NFL. When does practice start? I can't wait.

Front Office: What kind of salary are you looking for?

Me: What? You mean you are going to pay me to play football? Is this some kind of joke? Where is the hidden camera? Where is Allen Funt?

Haha...the young people will have to look up Allen Funt : )

fansince'76
04-16-2015, 08:16 AM
I really don't get it. It is just so hard for me to understand. Who can't put aside a few million? Even if you were brought up on streets/poverty you would think some common sense would surface, but I guess not.

Me: What? You mean you are going to pay me to play football? Is this some kind of joke? Where is the hidden camera? Where is Allen Funt?

Definitely. That one goes back a ways. :chuckle:

Bluecoat96
04-16-2015, 08:47 AM
I remember reading Baron Batch commenting on saving most of his football money that he earned. Of course, he's probably doing just fine selling his artwork now, but he always struck me as someone who just "got it" in terms of having common sense about finances.

vrabinec
04-16-2015, 08:54 AM
First order of business is to have him sit down with a certain running back and discuss when it's appropriate to smoke weed, and when it's not.

TD's & Beer
04-16-2015, 10:43 AM
Life skills - yeah - take a cab when you go partying - that should be #1 on everyones list as a player.

Steelman
04-16-2015, 10:48 AM
I hope he knows something about Marcus Peters.

86WARD
04-16-2015, 10:58 AM

Lol...you should've used the Ashton Kutcher reference for the youngin's

Lady Steel
04-16-2015, 06:46 PM
These are football players we're talking about. They're not exactly rocket scientists. Or baseball players. :coffee: :chuckle:

Pappy
04-16-2015, 07:11 PM

Haha...the young people will have to look up Allen Funt : )I totally agree with you, but these guys spend money like it' burning a hole in their pocket. It's a fact 75 percent of all retired football players are flat broke after only five years of retirement. What is really sad is most of these players have college degrees or at least some college classes under their belt. Goes to show what the hell they are learning. Surly not economics 101! Someone else in this thread used the term"common sense". Common sense isn't very common these days that's for sure.

Godfather
04-16-2015, 09:13 PM
I remember reading Baron Batch commenting on saving most of his football money that he earned. Of course, he's probably doing just fine selling his artwork now, but he always struck me as someone who just "got it" in terms of having common sense about finances.

He also knew he wasn't going to have a long career making millions, so he had to be more cautious.

I don't get the guys who sign multi-million dollar contracts and go broke. They should set up a planned giving arrangement with their college (make a donation to the school's endowment fund in exchange for regular payments for life). That would at least guarantee a middle class lifestyle for them. Then they can use the rest of the money to make it rain or whatever stupid thing they want to spend it on.

Psycho Ward 86
04-16-2015, 10:15 PM
These are football players we're talking about. They're not exactly rocket scientists. Or baseball players. :coffee: :chuckle:

not sure if serious.

Count Steeler
04-17-2015, 07:22 PM
When I read the title I thought this role had something to do with planning weddings.

Unfortunately, there is a need for these young men to have help becoming real men.

Lady Steel
04-17-2015, 09:01 PM
When I read the title I thought this role had something to do with planning weddings.

From what we've seen lately of dumb women who marry physically abusive football players, there's probably a need for a wedding planner, too. One who will say, "Don't do it!"

Mojouw
04-18-2015, 12:31 PM
I think it is almost totally impossible to underestimate how stupid at anything outside of football 75% of NFL players are.

Steeldude
04-18-2015, 06:21 PM
From what we've seen lately of dumb women who marry physically abusive football players, there's probably a need for a wedding planner, too. One who will say, "Don't do it!"

It's all about the $$$$.

Did you see Aaron Hernandez's fiance crying in court. It wasn't because he was going to spend his life behind bars. It was because he won't be earning that big paycheck for her. : )

Lady Steel
04-19-2015, 01:20 PM
It's all about the $$$$.

Agreed.

I'd rather be poor and have some dignity than walk around with a black-and-blue face.