PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Current CAP Number.....

katmandu
04-13-2015, 06:36 PM
.... This will be a good thread to keep track of the ever changing CAP number.

How much did Troy's Retirement affect the CAP number ?

Can someone make sense of the gobble-dee-goo math and put it in plain English please ?

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Dwinsgames
04-13-2015, 07:24 PM
.... This will be a good thread to keep track of the ever changing CAP number.

How much did Troy's Retirement affect the CAP number ?

Can someone make sense of the gobble-dee-goo math and put it in plain English please ?

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

we have 13 million and change

Mistah Q
04-13-2015, 07:33 PM
Perfect now we can get Stacey Mack

Dwinsgames
04-13-2015, 08:49 PM
wait a little less , based on whatever the terms of the Allen deal was .... and I am not sure what that is have not checked but imagine its no more than 1 mill a year

Psycho Ward 86
04-13-2015, 09:26 PM

doesnt it depend on when we decide to make the retirement official? (pre-June 1st or post-June 1st)

Dwinsgames
04-13-2015, 09:55 PM
In most cases, if a player retires, the remaining signing bonus that has not been included in salary “accelerates” and is included in that year’s team salary. Thus, the team will take an immediate salary cap hit of the remaining signing bonus.

salary figures are null and void because the contract is based on the player actually being on the roster and when they retire they voluntarily took themselves off the roster the same rules do not apply as to being cut ( least not how I understand it ) we would only be on the hook for any dead money from restructures and unpaid portions of the signing bonus remaining ... and NOT his 2015 base salary

http://www.askthecommish.com/salarycap/FAQ.aspx

Craic
04-13-2015, 10:41 PM
What happens next will determine when the Steelers and Polamalu decide to process the paperwork for retirement. If it occurs before June 1, the Steelers will gain $3.75 million in cap space and have Polamalu count for $4.5 million in dead money. If they wait until after June 1 then they will gain $6 million in 2015 and take a $2.25 million dead money charge in each of the next two seasons.

http://overthecap.com/troy-polamalu-retires/

vrabinec
04-13-2015, 10:56 PM

Who gives a shit? There's nobody out there to sign. This is all room for next year as far as I'm concerned. We'll sign a couple aging vets, and the rookies, and that's the team. And you know what? I'm cool with that. I wanna see the NFL deal with Ben and AB, and Bryant, and Heath, and Bell (once he comes back) and Shazier (who I KNOW is gonna be a monster) and Jarvis.....(aw, shit, whatever) Anyway. Teams ain't gonna want to play us. I promise you.

Mojouw
04-14-2015, 10:33 AM

Subtract a bit for the Allen deal, and about 2.5 million for in season contingency to get to about 10 million.

Then lop off another 5 million for the rookie class. That takes you to 5 million or so. That is my best guess at the pool of money the Steelers have remaining to make extensions or any additional FA signings. Hopefully they go out of character and bring in a large UDFA class this year.

steelreserve
04-15-2015, 03:00 AM
Who gives a shit? There's nobody out there to sign. This is all room for next year as far as I'm concerned. We'll sign a couple aging vets, and the rookies, and that's the team. And you know what? I'm cool with that. I wanna see the NFL deal with Ben and AB, and Bryant, and Heath, and Bell (once he comes back) and Shazier (who I KNOW is gonna be a monster) and Jarvis.....(aw, shit, whatever) Anyway. Teams ain't gonna want to play us. I promise you.

There's plenty to give a shit about. If they're smart, they'll use the cap space to extend DeCastro or Cam Heyward. What they ought to do is, since Heyward is making $7M from his 1-year option this season, try to do a long-term deal that brings that down by a couple mil this season, and then get DeCastro locked up on a flat deal. That'll still give them plenty to sign the rookies.

lol, who am I kidding? They'll sign both of those guys to a deal that pays $40M overall and $600K next season, then restructure it within a week. This is Omar Khan we're talking about!

Mistah Q
04-15-2015, 06:09 AM
While you still don't want to restructure when it's not necessary, it's not as big a deal as it used to be either. The team got into a bit o' the cap hell to push for one more run and it might have even worked had Mendenhall not fumbled away the superbowl - but I'm optimistic that now that we've essentially emerged from the cap hell, well be more responsible going forward as a rule.

What I'm really hoping is that the team eats Troy's bonus this year instead of amortizing it. With that in mind they should be able, if they want, to extend both of those guys without major backloads because they can earn a nice chunk in 2016 with both Troy and Woodley off the books. It's a nice chance to set themselves up to have a couple affordable cornerstones in place long term.

vrabinec
04-15-2015, 12:25 PM
While you still don't want to restructure when it's not necessary, it's not as big a deal as it used to be either. The team got into a bit o' the cap hell to push for one more run and it might have even worked had Mendenhall not fumbled away the superbowl - but I'm optimistic that now that we've essentially emerged from the cap hell, well be more responsible going forward as a rule.

What I'm really hoping is that the team eats Troy's bonus this year instead of amortizing it. With that in mind they should be able, if they want, to extend both of those guys without major backloads because they can earn a nice chunk in 2016 with both Troy and Woodley off the books. It's a nice chance to set themselves up to have a couple affordable cornerstones in place long term.

Yeah, I get it, Q. But I'm a year-to-year guy. As far as the coming season is concerned, The roster is all but set except for the draftees and a couple UDFAs, maybe one of two of which will have any impact. The rest of the cap stuff is background noise at this point. It's kinda like the wife telling me how she cleaned the toilet. I don't really give a fuck how she got it clean, as long as it's clean. I'll worry about cap room again next March. I'm already too into THIS season to worry about the other stuff right now. I understand they have to sign Cam, but his contract isn't going to make or break the Steelers' cap. It's those Woodley type situations that screw you, and the only one of those I see on the roster is 'Tez Allen and Fats Gilbert. They may be two contracts we're carrying without getting any production out of them. Clearing Ike and Troy and now Woodley off has made the cap a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. It's down to the players now.

Mistah Q
04-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Yeah, and I was basically agreeing with you - it's not like the extra 2015 cap room means we're going to go out and sign anyone at this point. And they sure don't need to be restructuring - that part was a reply to Steelreserve who was only employing a bit of hyperbole anyways. But, it does create a nice clearing to get some team-friendly extensions done if they want and that's about all I'd hope to see them do with the "space."

Psycho Ward 86
04-15-2015, 06:22 PM

wrong way to look at it. Now we have even more room to sign kelvin beachum and cameron heyward to long term deals. possibly with fairly large cap hits the 1st year (this year) so that they will have softer cap hits down the road