PDA

View Full Version : Was it like this in the early 1980s?

Godfather
04-12-2015, 12:10 PM
In the past few years, and especially this offseason, a lot of great players have hung up their cleats. Hines Ward, Brett Keisel, Ryan Clark, Ike Taylor, and now Troy Polamalu.

I'm not old enough to remember the Super Steelers, but did it feel the same way when Mean Joe, Lynn Swann, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, etc. retired?

stillers4me
04-12-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure, but I think today we feel extra "close" to the players due to social media interaction and just more overall sports coverage. I'm sure it was a very sad day as well, when those players were cut or retired.

ALLD
04-12-2015, 01:13 PM
We won't know it until we are in it for a couple of seasons. All we need to address is the defense. The offense could be great as long as the D does not part like the red sea every opponent's possession.

T&B fan
04-12-2015, 04:43 PM
I think not the 80s imo was no hope , today we still have the three B's ,hope is still alive .

fansince'76
04-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Very similar. I was particularly bummed when MJG and Lambert retired. And seeing a very-much-past-his-prime Franco in a Seahawks uniform blew too. I was beginning to worry that Troy might go that route.

For me, though, it was worse in the early '80s as I was still a kid and the players seemed larger-than-life and there was no Twitter and no 24-hour news cycle. I'm a bit more jaded now. OK, a LOT more jaded.

And I had a lot more interest in the NFL in general then as it was long before Goodell's reign of douchebaggery started.

Dwinsgames
04-12-2015, 06:17 PM
I remember Mike Webster leaving and heading to KC as a " player coach " something we no longer permit in the league knowing we had Dirt Dawson in the wings did not make it any less difficult , I think it will always be tough to see a player who is universally loved by the fan base leave and when that player was a star its even tougher

stillers4me
04-12-2015, 06:40 PM
I was sad to see both Jerome and Hines retire. But this stuff with Troy, all the highlight videos and such...I can't watch them because I literally cry. I'm mourning not ever seeing him make those spectacular plays for us ever again.

Seriously, I've teared up so many times in the last couple of days, I just don't even try to watch them.

Godfather
04-12-2015, 07:26 PM
I was sad to see both Jerome and Hines retire. But this stuff with Troy, all the highlight videos and such...I can't watch them because I literally cry. I'm mourning not ever seeing him make those spectacular plays for us ever again.

Seriously, I've teared up so many times in the last couple of days, I just don't even try to watch them.

Those were tough too. Funny thing is this is the hardest retirement for me even though Troy was never my favorite player. (That was Hines, and then Ryan Clark because he's a New Orleans/LSU guy). Maybe that's why it's so hard--since someone else was always my favorite Steeler, now I feel like I didn't appreciate Troy enough when I had the opportunity.

Speaking of Hines, I hope DWTS is already on the phone with Troy's agent.

Steeldude
04-12-2015, 07:38 PM
The Steelers had less talent in the 80's.

But football, as a whole, was much more entertaining.

tube517
04-12-2015, 07:39 PM
1980-81 is very similar to 2012-13 for me. The Pro Bowlers started getting old and injury prone and it was becoming sad to watch them all leave and their careers end. Like FS said, they were larger than life back then.

But, as said above, no social media or internet message boards so I didn't feel the impact right away as we do now.

Lady Steel
04-12-2015, 11:08 PM

I know what you're saying, Sue, but I actually was more upset when Hines was released than over Troy announcing his retirement. I think it's because I feel Troy made the right decision at the right time and for the right reasons. Knowing he has a loving wife who stands beside him and supports him also eases the pain.

stillers4me
04-13-2015, 05:45 AM
I know what you're saying, Sue, but I actually was more upset when Hines was released than over Troy announcing his retirement. I think it's because I feel Troy made the right decision at the right time and for the right reasons. Knowing he has a loving wife who stands beside him and supports him also eases the pain.

I imagine Troy hanging up the phone that day and never looking back. I don't expect to see much of him, no interviews or visits to training camp or the facility. I'd bet he hasn't even read all the wonderful tributes to him. That's Troy being Troy.

stillers4me
04-13-2015, 06:06 AM
Kate, your avatar pic so distracting.

https://abootlander.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/bunny-love.gif?w=652

vrabinec
04-13-2015, 02:37 PM
In the very early 80's, I felt like we could still win every game. It was a matter of waiting for the players to get healthy. When Bradshaw was healthy and had at least some of his weapons around him, we could beat anyone, and we were the favorite. Around '83, it was depressing to see so many players leaving, but by then, I was ready to move on to the next phase. Being young, I used to hope that we bottomed out, got a bunch of really early draft picks that would form the foundation, and start a new dynasty. It really was sad, though. I remember playing intra-mural basketball at Pitt, and Franco came up there to shoot some hoops to stay in shape right before Seattle got him. It was strange to think of him playing for someone else. I wasn't married at the time, but I always thought it felt a little like what a divorce feels like, that sadness makes the heart heavy.

Pappy
04-18-2015, 08:24 PM
In the past few years, and especially this offseason, a lot of great players have hung up their cleats. Hines Ward, Brett Keisel, Ryan Clark, Ike Taylor, and now Troy Polamalu.

I'm not old enough to remember the Super Steelers, but did it feel the same way when Mean Joe, Lynn Swann, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, etc. retired?
It was worse. I might be prejudice, but the current Steeler teams are good but could not compare to the dynasty team of the 70's. The four players you mentioned are all HOFer's. Troy is definitely one, and Ben will be one, but the other players retiring are not nearly as good as those old timers. I'm curious to see how James Harrison is perceived for the Hall once he retires, that will be interesting.

st33lersguy
04-18-2015, 09:06 PM
I don't know how it was in the early 80s but here there seems to be a promising young core of new guys for both the offense and defense

86WARD
04-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Ben, Bell, Brown are still there with a cast of nice young talent on both sides of the ball. There are quite a few holes amongst the roster, but it's not nearly as bad as the 80s. The 80s teams had a little bit of talent, but not near what this 2015 team has. Louis Lipps, Rod Woodson, David Little, Bryan Hinkle, Dermonti Dawson...good and great players from the late 80s.