PDA

View Full Version : Bell suspended 3 games

Steelman
04-09-2015, 08:58 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12653337/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-suspended-3-games

Pittsburgh Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell has been suspended for the first three games of the regular season and fined an additional game check for violating the league's substance abuse policy, league sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Bell is appealing the suspension, the sources said.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2015/04/09/leveon-bell-suspended-three-games/

X-Terminator
04-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Bell isn't a Patriot, therefore he gets a harsher penalty.

Quick, show of hands...who did not see this coming? Anyone? Anyone at all?

Thought not.

one side only
04-09-2015, 09:34 AM
He could have gotten four.

Buckinnuts
04-09-2015, 09:38 AM
APPEAL! APPEAL!

TD's & Beer
04-09-2015, 09:44 AM
Nothing earth shaking here. I thought he'd get more than 2.

Run like the wind DeAngelo!

"my mood ....mad about roger giving bell 3 games vs blount 1!"

https://www.facebook.com/DeAngeloWilliams

tube517
04-09-2015, 09:52 AM
I thought under the "new agreement" that it would be 2 games for a DUI+Plea deal.

Oh, I am stupid. Commissioner Kraft runs the show. Goodhell just waxes Robbie Kraft's balls.

"my mood ....mad about roger giving bell 3 games vs blount 1!"

https://www.facebook.com/DeAngeloWilliams

Don't tempt Commisioner Kraft. He may suspend (and fine) you too, DeAngelo!!!

Bluecoat96
04-09-2015, 09:59 AM
Bell isn't a Patriot, therefore he gets a harsher penalty.

Quick, show of hands...who did not see this coming? Anyone? Anyone at all?

Thought not.

Honestly, I think that the penalty is right in line with the policy. 2 games for a DUI charge, and 1 game for possession of the wacky weed. I'm guessing that is where the 3 games came from. Blount only got 1 game because he had only 1 charge of possession, and Bell had 2 charges (DUI and the possession) against him. I'm not trying to stick up for Goodell and Kraft, just trying to explain the possible rationale.

salamander
04-09-2015, 10:36 AM
It's actually less than I was expecting.

smokin3000gt
04-09-2015, 10:39 AM
He could have gotten four.

That makes it ok?

fansince'76
04-09-2015, 10:43 AM
APPEAL! APPEAL!

He should. This took place well before the new substance abuse policy went into effect.

X-Terminator
04-09-2015, 10:43 AM
Honestly, I think that the penalty is right in line with the policy. 2 games for a DUI charge, and 1 game for possession of the wacky weed. I'm guessing that is where the 3 games came from. Blount only got 1 game because he had only 1 charge of possession, and Bell had 2 charges (DUI and the possession) against him. I'm not trying to stick up for Goodell and Kraft, just trying to explain the possible rationale.

Yes, that's true. Well then nevermind. Hopefully Bell has learned his lesson.

Lady Steel
04-09-2015, 10:47 AM
Well, this is disappointing, but we knew it was coming and at least we know now. It's better than 4 games. *shrugs*

Get ready, DW! We're counting on ya!

one side only
04-09-2015, 11:15 AM
http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog

Steelers are 0-4 without Le'Veon Bell (http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/04/09/Steelers-are-0-4-without-Le-Veon-Bell.html)

fansince'76
04-09-2015, 11:15 AM
Let's review:

Cold-cocking one's girlfriend and dragging her out of an elevator like a neanderthal = 2 games. (Never minding all the lying about and subsequent whitewashing and covering up of the situation by the league after the fact).

Bell gets to sit for 3 games, gets docked his game check for a fourth and as Bouchette points out, essentially gets nailed under 2 different policies.

Seems fair. :coffee:

Rotorhead
04-09-2015, 11:22 AM
Hey, the Steelers are on the upswing, have to do what you can to keep that from happening if you are the Commish!

Lady Steel
04-09-2015, 11:28 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCKTcB8UEAA9DXj.jpg:large

SteelerFanInStl
04-09-2015, 12:08 PM
He should. This took place well before the new substance abuse policy went into effect.
Yep. I hope Le'veon has a good lawyer.

Didn't the NFL already get shot down once on an appeal when they tried to enforce a new policy on an existing act?

Bell should talk to Josh Hamilton's lawyer.

Dwinsgames
04-09-2015, 12:22 PM
it becomes " out of line" when you combine the suspended games ( unpaid ) then add the fine of a game check .... essentially 4 game checks and sitting out 3 games ...

play for free one week ..........

pretty stiff penalty for something where " nobody got hurt " yet people get killed and the cause stands on the sidelines with the rest of the team 2 weeks later ..........

as usual no consistency , no rhyme or reason to the punishment and again it lacks any semblance of logic ...

just get it all down in writing as a checklist do this penalty equals this and stick to it for gods sakes !

zulater
04-09-2015, 01:02 PM
I would hope the Steelers protest this suspension and i would think there's a real chance that along with the union's help could see this reduced to two games if certain criteria are met by Bell.

Hopefully the league's wish all along was 2 games. But they figured whatever number they initially gave would be reduced upon appeal, so this was the best means to that ends. Of course I doubt Goodell is capable of that much forethought on the matter.

st33lersguy
04-09-2015, 01:11 PM
This picture is worth a million words

https://usatthebiglead.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/roger-goodell-and-robert-kraft.jpg

Edman
04-09-2015, 01:25 PM
Who didn't expect this?

Bell is a Steeler. Two games plus an extra one for being a member of Goodell's most despised team.

Blunt is a Patriot. You play for the golden calf. Just one game.

Ray Rice is a Raven. You play for the other golden calf. Two games, plus we'll cover up for you...Oops the video is out! DAMAGE CONTROL EVERYTHING! Sorry Ray, take the fall while I cover my own ass.

vrabinec
04-09-2015, 01:46 PM
So, 0-3 to start the season? I figure the first 3 games will be the Pats, Hawks, and Ravens....because, that's the way the NFL wants it. They're out to get us, man. I know it!

Mojouw
04-09-2015, 02:22 PM
There is no basis for an appeal. Blount gets a game because the policy says you get a game for possession of pot.

Bell gets 1 game for possession and 2 games for the DUI.

As bad as it looks, there is no conspiracy here. Both players were suspended exactly how everyone thought they would be.

fansince'76
04-09-2015, 02:57 PM
So, 0-3 to start the season? I figure the first 3 games will be the Pats, Hawks, and Ravens....because, that's the way the NFL wants it. They're out to get us, man. I know it!

All facetiousness aside, do you really think at this point that Goodell and Company deals with all teams and players above board and equally? Really?

fansince'76
04-09-2015, 02:59 PM
There is no basis for an appeal.

Sure there is. Two games, which it would have been under the old policy which was still in effect when the incident in question took place. Not three games plus playing for free for a fourth game. Sucker Punch should appeal his suspension as well by the same rationale.

zulater
04-09-2015, 03:02 PM
There is no basis for an appeal. Blount gets a game because the policy says you get a game for possession of pot.

As bad as it looks, there is no conspiracy here. Both players were suspended exactly how everyone thought they would be.

Bullshit. Most people were thinking he would get two games. Nothing is ironclad that would state that 3 games was necessary.

vrabinec
04-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Yep. Storm the NFL offices with pitchforks and torches, beg, plead, get Goodell laid, or whatever it takes. 0-2 is a lot better than 0-3.

st33lersguy
04-09-2015, 03:58 PM

If Blount was driving the car, would he have gotten more of a suspension? The answer is no way. It is an obvious fact that Goodell is a Steeler hating Pats fan who is BFFs with Bob Kraft.

Mojouw
04-09-2015, 04:28 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/01/leveon-bell-faces-a-maximum-suspension-of-four-games/

This had been posted previously. But it addresses some things that are being debated here.

1. 2 games minimum no matter what under either the old or new policy.
2. The 3rd game is for the illegal substance (pot). The first 2 games are for the DUI.
3. Basically Bell was suspended one game for pot (just like Blount) and 2 games for DUI (just like almost everyone else who has gotten a DUI while under contract in the NFL.

Again, as much as I hate to say it, there is basically zero basis for an appeal.

steelreserve
04-09-2015, 05:17 PM
Well, I knew I made that smiley for a reason.

:goodelljoke:

ALLD
04-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Should have made it two games and moved on. Now the NFL left itself open for an appeal.

smokin3000gt
04-09-2015, 05:33 PM
I think two games would've been fair and sufficient..

steelcityboyz
04-09-2015, 07:06 PM
What a crock it should have been only two games.

86WARD
04-09-2015, 07:11 PM
Agree should've been 2. But it's Goofdell...asshole (that's Goofdell being the asshole.)

Craic
04-09-2015, 07:32 PM
Three games. My guess is:

1 game for be arrested with marijauna (within the league's purview)

2 game mandatory suspension for DUI. Bell had until Nov. to get it resolved before the new rules went into effect. He didn't. New rules are now in effect. There's no "caught in the middle."

The only leeway I can see is whether the marijuana arrest demands a game suspension, or if it does, can it run concurrent. My guess is that it doesn't. I'd appeal on the grounds that they were the same incident and that at most, they should be concurrent suspensions, meaning he should get two games, rather than three.

SteelerFanInStl
04-09-2015, 07:54 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/01/leveon-bell-faces-a-maximum-suspension-of-four-games/

This had been posted previously. But it addresses some things that are being debated here.

1. 2 games minimum no matter what under either the old or new policy.
2. The 3rd game is for the illegal substance (pot). The first 2 games are for the DUI.
3. Basically Bell was suspended one game for pot (just like Blount) and 2 games for DUI (just like almost everyone else who has gotten a DUI while under contract in the NFL.

Again, as much as I hate to say it, there is basically zero basis for an appeal.

As has already been stated, that's the new policy, not the one that was in affect when Bell was arrested.

Any lawyer worth 2 cents should be able to get this appealed under the fact that you can't make a new policy retroactive.

tube517
04-09-2015, 08:36 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/4/9/8377019/steelers-rb-leveon-bell-violated-a-new-policy-but-vague-discipline-is?hc_location=ufi

Let's do a little math. First, let's assume this really is Bell's first offense, because we haven't heard of any problems before this. Discipline for a first offense of using marijuana is simply placement in the league's substance abuse program. That's all, nothing more. In fact, according to the policy, a player can be in violation three times without a suspension -- second offenses are a two-game fine, then a four-game fine; only on the fourth offense does a four-game suspension come into play. Remember that number, too, because it's part of the NFL's complete inability to do basic arithmetic.

The NFL Drug Policy is here (https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Active%20Players/Drug_SOA_Policy_9-29-14.pdf)

86WARD
04-09-2015, 09:05 PM
Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe has been suspended one game for violating the league's substance-abuse policy and will miss the regular-season opener against the Titans. The team issued a statement Friday.

"Dwayne has been given a one-game suspension by the National Football League. We are disappointed in the situation and will miss him on the field, but we support the league's decision. The club will have no further comment on the matter."
Back in November, Bowe was arrested on speeding and marijuana possession charges, and according to Yahoo.com's Rand Getlin, that arrest is related to this suspension.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24662204/reports-chiefs-wr-dwayne-bowe-to-be-suspended-one-game

86WARD
04-09-2015, 09:10 PM
Also: Let's not forget that Ray Rice was suspended 2 games for whacking his wife. 2 games.

Dwinsgames
04-09-2015, 09:35 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/4/9/8377019/steelers-rb-leveon-bell-violated-a-new-policy-but-vague-discipline-is?hc_location=ufi

The NFL Drug Policy is here (https://nflpaweb.blob.core.windows.net/media/Default/PDFs/Active%20Players/Drug_SOA_Policy_9-29-14.pdf)

interesting to say the least .................... but since when does Goofdell concern himself with the rules ?

one side only
04-09-2015, 10:02 PM
These suspensions make a Steelers at Patriots match up on the NFL's opening night less desirable. Probably Philly or Buffalo now. Fine with me if it works out that way.

Lady Steel
04-09-2015, 11:36 PM
All I gotta say is that'll be the damn day I work for free. Free doesn't pay the bills. If I wanted to work for free, I would be called a volunteer, not a nurse. That's some BS that Le'Veon will be docked a paycheck for the 4th game, of which he is supposed to work.

Butch
04-09-2015, 11:48 PM
This Bullshit was completely expected, as stated before when would "Go To Hell" ever be expected to follow rules specially when it's a Steelers star player involved.

If the Rooney's sit by and let this stand without a fight I will be done with football.

Browns, Falcons, cheats all break rules and it is pushed under the rug while the owners standby and say nothing. Someone smokes dope and nobody gets hurt but you throw a book at him because he plays for a team you have a hardon for.

Oh and for all you who say that this penalty is fair and just I have yet to hear any of you say anything about the 4th game check, but ok go ahead and defend this stupid ruling and you can have whatever the NFL becomes from here on out.

fansince'76
04-10-2015, 12:25 AM
My beef with this is that the NFL's drug policy and punishments prescribed for it are clearly laid out, are cumulative in nature (3 games for a first offense? For a non-PED, no less?), and are supposedly set in stone.

This ruling has the same completely arbitrary feeling to it like Goodell picked the punishment by throwing a dart at a dartboard or spinning a modified roulette wheel that his rulings under the personal conduct policy always seem to have.

Perfect example:

Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe has been suspended one game for violating the league's substance-abuse policy and will miss the regular-season opener against the Titans.

...Back in November, Bowe was arrested on speeding and marijuana possession charges, and according to Yahoo.com's Rand Getlin, that arrest is related to this suspension.

This dude was driving and presumably stoned while doing so, so where's his three games? Four games, if you count the game Bell is supposed to forfeit his game check for and basically play for charity (which is also a giant crock). Especially considering that the incident with Bowe occurred AFTER the new tougher drug policy was put into place, unlike Bell's.

Gotta call bullshit on this one.

zulater
04-10-2015, 08:11 AM
My beef with this is that the NFL's drug policy and punishments prescribed for it are clearly laid out, are cumulative in nature (3 games for a first offense? For a non-PED, no less?), and are supposedly set in stone.

This ruling has the same completely arbitrary feeling to it like Goodell picked the punishment by throwing a dart at a dartboard or spinning a modified roulette wheel that his rulings under the personal conduct policy always seem to have.

Perfect example:

This dude was driving and presumably stoned while doing so, so where's his three games? Four games, if you count the game Bell is supposed to forfeit his game check for and basically play for charity (which is also a giant crock). Especially considering that the incident with Bowe occurred AFTER the new tougher drug policy was put into place, unlike Bell's.

Bell's mistake was that he was too naive and candid with the arresting officer, and basically admitted to being intoxicated from marijuana at the time of his being stopped. Whereas I'm sure Bowe clammed up and didn't further implicate himself by his words. It's very hard to prove level of intoxication from weed though any administered test.

So in the end Bell was punished more severe for a lesser crime because youthful naivety compelled him to be fully cooperative once he was stopped.

Well done Goodell! You prove yourself an asshole at every given chance. :applaudit:

Dwinsgames
04-10-2015, 08:18 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCMAL2dUkAAAz1H.jpg:large

steelreserve
04-10-2015, 10:50 AM

That pretty well captures why it's horseshit. Are they punishing him under the substance-abuse policy or the personal-conduct policy? Hey, why not do both in this case, but not in other cases? They really do just make it up as they go along.

Also agree with the comment about being punished twice for the same incident. Every other case I've heard of with marijuana/DUI, it's either 1 or 2 games, or if you're a repeat offender and known troublemaker, then 6-8 games or the rest of the season. Simply being in violation of the drug policy for marijuana the first time is zero games, as I said in another thread weeks ago. Not clear to me what the hell they're doing here.

This is probably the best summary of Roger Goodell's stance on player discipline:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMlYoXGtBkQ

Craic
04-10-2015, 11:59 AM

Perfect example:

That's actually not a good example. It both occured, and was plead out in court before the cutoff date the NFL had established to have all issues settled. Bowe went in and plead guilty so he wouldn't fall under the new rules. Bell did not. Hence, Bell is disciplined by the new standard, one in which he decided to fall under by not clearing his case before the deadline (doing so by pleading guilty).

Again, the only thing here is whether Bell should have been suspended 2 games or 3 games. I'd like to know why he got the extra game, but again, I suspect it was for possession. I just wish he was as smart as Bowe, who was arrested for the same thing, and plead out like he did.

Dwinsgames
04-10-2015, 01:00 PM
That's actually not a good example. It both occured, and was plead out in court before the cutoff date the NFL had established to have all issues settled. Bowe went in and plead guilty so he wouldn't fall under the new rules. Bell did not. Hence, Bell is disciplined by the new standard, one in which he decided to fall under by not clearing his case before the deadline (doing so by pleading guilty).

Again, the only thing here is whether Bell should have been suspended 2 games or 3 games. I'd like to know why he got the extra game, but again, I suspect it was for possession. I just wish he was as smart as Bowe, who was arrested for the same thing, and plead out like he did.

cut any which way and in no way can anyone account for the " play for free game" the fine of a game check on top of 3 game unpaid suspension

X-Terminator
04-10-2015, 01:21 PM
cut any which way and in no way can anyone account for the " play for free game" the fine of a game check on top of 3 game unpaid suspension

Nope, that is complete bullshit. If nothing else, that should get overturned on appeal. There's no way the league can justify that.

Craic
04-10-2015, 01:54 PM

I agree. I was referring specifically to the suspension and the comparison to Bowe.

Mojouw
04-10-2015, 05:09 PM
You all have totally turned me around on this. I see how more than 2 games is random and sketchy as hell by the NFL.

I don't think it is specifically an anti-Steelers campaign, but more that Goodell just lurches from crisis to crisis when it comes to player discipline with no real plan.

steelreserve
04-10-2015, 07:49 PM
I don't think it is specifically an anti-Steelers campaign, but more that Goodell just lurches from crisis to crisis when it comes to player discipline with no real plan.

That's exactly how I see it. He's the biggest button-masher of all time. His reaction to every incident is mostly derived from what he thinks the media wants to hear based on the last scandal, and he plays right into their hands. For this and really any of the day-to-day operations of the league, he uses about as much strategy as a guy chasing a bus. But he's great at signing TV deals and squeezing every last dollar out of the sponsors and the fans. Which tells me they really need to make those two separate jobs.

Bert Gordon
04-12-2015, 04:03 PM
Bullshit suspension.

TD's & Beer
04-16-2015, 07:45 AM
Bell received one game for the marijuana possession and two for the DUI

It's funny how everyone dumps on Santonio for getting caught with a blunt and the team and fans run him out of town on a rail for a 5th rd pick, but Bell gets a pass for doing something 10X worse

http://carlislejohnny.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Carlislejohnny1311.bmp

Mojouw
04-16-2015, 09:24 AM

It's funny how everyone dumps on Santonio for getting caught with a blunt and the team and fans run him out of town on a rail for a 5th rd pick, but Bell gets a pass for doing something 10X worse

Yup. Santonio paid the price for Ben and Harrison (at least I think this is who it was) getting into the spotlight in a negative way also that off-season.

Kind of sad actually. Wonder what Holmes' career looks like if he doesn't end up on some crappy Jets teams. But, w/out that trade the Steelers likely never end up with AB. So...that ended up working out great!

tube517
04-16-2015, 09:47 AM

Yup. Santonio paid the price for Ben and Harrison (at least I think this is who it was) getting into the spotlight in a negative way also that off-season.

Kind of sad actually. Wonder what Holmes' career looks like if he doesn't end up on some crappy Jets teams. But, w/out that trade the Steelers likely never end up with AB. So...that ended up working out great!

Part of that is true. But, Sandoobio had a long history

2006 Arrest for Disorderly conduct (paid a fine and charges dropped)
2006 Arrest for Domestic assault (charges dropped)
2008 Arrest for Possession of Marijuana (benched for a game; charges dropped)
2010 Nightclub incident for throwing a glass at a person (around same time as Ben's 2nd incident)
2010 Suspended 4 games by NFL for violating drug policy (right before trade to the Jets)

So, yeah, he was made an example but he's had a longer laundry list than Bell. And no, I'm not saying Bell didn't deserve punishment. If Bell screws up again, he's facing an 8 game suspension.

Craic
04-16-2015, 09:58 AM
Part of that is true. But, Sandoobio had a long history

2006 Arrest for Disorderly conduct (paid a fine and charges dropped)
2006 Arrest for Domestic assault (charges dropped)
2008 Arrest for Possession of Marijuana (benched for a game; charges dropped)
2010 Nightclub incident for throwing a glass at a person (around same time as Ben's 2nd incident)
2010 Suspended 4 games by NFL for violating drug policy (right before trade to the Jets)

So, yeah, he was made an example but he's had a longer laundry list than Bell. And no, I'm not saying Bell didn't deserve punishment. If Bell screws up again, he's facing an 8 game suspension.

Exactly, Santonio had overstayed his welcome by his actions.

TD's & Beer
04-16-2015, 10:10 AM
Santonio had overstayed his welcome by his actions.

I enjoyed some of those actions - he wasn't all bad

http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/sholmes09cos-1.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/Personal/Williams,%20Ed/Photos/090202_Holmes.ss_full.jpg

86WARD
04-16-2015, 11:02 AM
I have nothing against Holmes. Was a dope off filed, but on field he was solid in a Steelers Uniform and let's be honest, that's all I really care about...lol.

steelreserve
04-16-2015, 12:22 PM

I thought Holmes got caught with weed because he was pulled over and they smelled pot smoke in his vehicle. Likely doing the same exact thing, just didn't admit to it and in the absence of that, it's difficult to prove.

In my experience, most times when people get busted for "marijuana possession during a traffic stop," they were DUI but they can't prove it.

TD's & Beer
04-16-2015, 12:39 PM
I thought Holmes got caught with weed because he was pulled over and they smelled pot smoke in his vehicle.

He did nothing wrong as a reason to be pulled over, just bad luck he was stoppped

WPXI-TV's website in Pittsburgh reports: "Police cited Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes on charges of marijuana possession Thursday afternoon. Pittsburgh police said Holmes was driving a SUV with out-of-state license plates near Mellon Arena. The vehicle matched the description of one linked to a crime, so officers made an investigatory stop.

'When they pulled him over, they found there was a smell of burnt marijuana in the vehicle,' said Sgt. James Vogel. 'Mr. Holmes was very cooperative with officers and turned over some items to us and was subsequently summoned for those items...a couple of marijuana blunts.' Holmes was given a summons to court and released.

Holmes was charged with "one misdemeanor count of possession of a small amount of marijuana" and released, but Sgt. James Vogel of the Pittsburgh PD wants to make it clear that Holmes was a perfect gentleman during the whole ordeal. He handed over the blunts politely and without incident, and if the NFL has a problem with that they can take it up with Sgt. Vogel.

"Holmes was very cooperative, respectful and wasn’t impaired. He thinks that should be taken into account when it comes to any potential action taken against him by the Steelers and the NFL. “We wouldn't expect a steelworker to be laid off or suspended without pay,” said Vogel. “I wouldn't expect a police officer, firefighter or a member of the Steelers.”

teegre
04-16-2015, 02:54 PM
The first three games will be against the Taperiots, Ravens, and Seahawks.

The he same exact order as the last three games of the season*.

*(technically: the post season)

steelreserve
04-16-2015, 03:18 PM
He did nothing wrong as a reason to be pulled over, just bad luck he was stoppped

WPXI-TV's website in Pittsburgh reports: "Police cited Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes on charges of marijuana possession Thursday afternoon. Pittsburgh police said Holmes was driving a SUV with out-of-state license plates near Mellon Arena. The vehicle matched the description of one linked to a crime, so officers made an investigatory stop.

'When they pulled him over, they found there was a smell of burnt marijuana in the vehicle,' said Sgt. James Vogel. 'Mr. Holmes was very cooperative with officers and turned over some items to us and was subsequently summoned for those items...a couple of marijuana blunts.' Holmes was given a summons to court and released.

Holmes was charged with "one misdemeanor count of possession of a small amount of marijuana" and released, but Sgt. James Vogel of the Pittsburgh PD wants to make it clear that Holmes was a perfect gentleman during the whole ordeal. He handed over the blunts politely and without incident, and if the NFL has a problem with that they can take it up with Sgt. Vogel.

"Holmes was very cooperative, respectful and wasn’t impaired. He thinks that should be taken into account when it comes to any potential action taken against him by the Steelers and the NFL. “We wouldn't expect a steelworker to be laid off or suspended without pay,” said Vogel. “I wouldn't expect a police officer, firefighter or a member of the Steelers.”

That pretty much describes what I was talking about ... maybe he wasn't visibly stoned at that particular moment, but why else would you have burnt blunts in your car. Because you smoked them in your house and then brought them out to your car to drive around with but never smoked them in the car? Or that you hotboxed your car, but always right there in your garage and never anyplace where you'd have to drive to or from to get there? Give me a break. It's 99.99% certain the dude drove around getting high on a regular basis - which is what people do who have blunts in their car - and just happened not to be stoned off his ass right at that time the cop pulled him over.

vrabinec
04-16-2015, 03:40 PM
That pretty much describes what I was talking about ... maybe he wasn't visibly stoned at that particular moment, but why else would you have burnt blunts in your car. Because you smoked them in your house and then brought them out to your car to drive around with but never smoked them in the car? Or that you hotboxed your car, but always right there in your garage and never anyplace where you'd have to drive to or from to get there? Give me a break. It's 99.99% certain the dude drove around getting high on a regular basis - which is what people do who have blunts in their car - and just happened not to be stoned off his ass right at that time the cop pulled him over.

Yeah. Back in the 90's, the wife was going to get drug tested because she was starting a new job, so I had to go out to the car to get stoned so she didn't inhale any of it, but I doubt Stonio had a similar situation. Though, he probably had a bunch of people driving his car. I remember once when I was living in Buffalo, and I went to a Steeler game in Cleveland. Got stoned after the game in the parking lot, went the wrong way on 90 and ended up in Toledo instead of Buffalo.

TD's & Beer
04-16-2015, 05:12 PM

oh counselor, surely you are trying to railroad my client

maybe the blunts were there from last night when some friends borrowed the car and went partying, and an innocent driver was pulled over

I merely contend that if it wasn't Bell, our star RB, that is being suspended, half the town would want him cut immediately for being a doper.

Lady Steel
04-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Holmes is a cancer. There's a reason no one wants him.

Butch
04-16-2015, 06:23 PM
Holmes is a cancer. There's a reason no one wants him.

He was a playmaker in big games. I could see him and Brown together and being like having Swan and Stallworth all over again. I know he will never be back as a Steeler, but I wouldn't have a problem with it if it happened. Not holding my breath just sayin'.

- - - Updated - - -

You know Ben got 6 games for nothing but allegations why would godell ever want to be just in doling out his punishments?

Lady Steel
04-16-2015, 06:40 PM
He was a playmaker in big games. I could see him and Brown together and being like having Swan and Stallworth all over again. I know he will never be back as a Steeler, but I wouldn't have a problem with it if it happened. Not holding my breath just sayin'.

I totally understand your point, but my opinion is that I think Holmes would be detrimental to the entire team in the long run. I just don't think it's worth it.

- - - Updated - - -

You know Ben got 6 games for nothing but allegations why would godell ever want to be just in doling out his punishments?

Exactly! He's a poopie-head. :lol: :wink02:

Mojouw
04-17-2015, 11:16 AM

- - - Updated - - -

At this point, injuries and ego have stolen portions of Holmes' talent. He couldn't even get on the field for the Bears last year. All that being said, if the Steelers go into camp needing another WR, they could pull a lot worse out of the 1-2 year vet reclamation pile. I thought they might have benefited from doing it last year, and wouldn't be shocked if they took a look this year - but with their track record of identifying young WR and quickly developing them, I fully expect them to find someone younger with return skills (basically young Santonio).

steelreserve
04-17-2015, 11:17 AM
I merely contend that if it wasn't Bell, our star RB, that is being suspended, half the town would want him cut immediately for being a doper.

lol, you're probably right about that. I could personally care less if a guy smokes weed; probably half the team does. Too often though, for the guys who get publicly in trouble for pot, it's just one part of a bigger problem of being a jackass and carrying a whole truckload of drama with you. They give weed a bad name, so to speak. Bell hasn't really done much else to show that yet, so I'm hoping it was mainly because of the jackass in the car with him.

You're also right that if it wasn't a super-important player, the team would probably be a lot less willing to put up with it. If you can't be relied on to be available for the game, from a football perspective that makes more trouble than you're worth if you're a fourth-string linebacker who mostly plays special teams, and is probably your ticket out of town.

fansince'76
04-17-2015, 11:30 AM

I honestly wouldn't mind Holmes coming back. I'd mind it a hell of a lot less than when Burress came back. At least he didn't badmouth the team and the city in general after he left. And yes, Holmes was partially a casualty of the Milledgeville incident with Ben.

86WARD
04-17-2015, 06:29 PM
I'd take Holmes back...why not...couldn't hurt

zulater
04-17-2015, 07:00 PM
I'm not sure Holmes has anything left? If so why did the Bears get rid of him last year in season?

86WARD
04-17-2015, 07:20 PM
I think part of the reason was that Marques Wilson was returning from the IR. I don't think Holmes participated much (stat wise) during his time with the Bears...but then again, look who is throwing him the ball...

Chris Williams also took over the punt return duties so that kind of left Holmes as a #4 WR who wouldn't play special teams?

I'll agree he's far from what he was when he was in Pittsburgh, but I'd be willing to kick the tires as a number 3 or 4 WR...and maybe he can do some punt returns?

tube517
04-17-2015, 07:38 PM
Once he goes to Arizona he will satisfy the scrap heap requirements for a return.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Butch
04-17-2015, 11:21 PM
The Bears are not exactly crack talent scouts look at how much they over paid their crappy QB. Again I would be shocked to see Santonio back in a Steelers uniform, but I wouldn't mind if it happened.

zulater
04-18-2015, 06:39 AM
I think part of the reason was that Marques Wilson was returning from the IR. I don't think Holmes participated much (stat wise) during his time with the Bears...but then again, look who is throwing him the ball...

Chris Williams also took over the punt return duties so that kind of left Holmes as a #4 WR who wouldn't play special teams?

I'll agree he's far from what he was when he was in Pittsburgh, but I'd be willing to kick the tires as a number 3 or 4 WR...and maybe he can do some punt returns?

The best he would be on the Steelers is a 4. Figure Brown, Wheaton, and Bryant are pretty solidly entrenched at 1-3. Another thing to consider was part of the reason he was let go before was because he was notorious for being late and inattentive during meeting and film sessions etc.. In a more diminished role does his commitment figure to improve? Maybe I suppose? Could be that he sees this as a last chance and brings a better attitude towards the little things. But probably a better chance that he'd soon sour at not being a more prominent part of the plan and could infect the younger talent like Bryant and Wheaton. To claim there's no potential downside to bringing him in is a dismissal of lockerroom make up and attitude.

I'm not saying it couldn't work, but from the Steelers perspective given how little Holmes has shown on the field in the past couple seasons, is it really worth the risk of finding out? I would be very surprised if they brought him back.

86WARD
04-18-2015, 09:38 AM
I'm not sold on Wheaton as the number 3...not yet.

zulater
04-18-2015, 08:20 PM

As a 3 I'm very sold on Wheaton. If Bryant lives up to expectations and is a legitimate 2 then I have no doubt in Wheaton as a 3. But if Bryant then I could see a negative impact on Wheaton.

But as of now I think both proved in the last half of the 14 season that they're legitimate NFL receivers.

Mojouw
04-19-2015, 10:30 PM

Why not?

He caught 61.6% of balls thrown his way (53/86) for 12.2 yards per catch. His size, speed, and game project much better as the #3/slot guy than they do outside the hashes as a pure speedster. Bryant outside with Brown and Wheaton kicking inside makes everyone better.

Just my opinion. Honestly curious about what is missing from Wheaton's game.

Steeldude
04-20-2015, 05:08 AM
Why not?

He caught 61.6% of balls thrown his way (53/86) for 12.2 yards per catch. His size, speed, and game project much better as the #3/slot guy than they do outside the hashes as a pure speedster. Bryant outside with Brown and Wheaton kicking inside makes everyone better.

Wasn't he the WR that Tomlin got on multiple times because of bad routes? I am pretty sure it was Wheaton, but I am not 100% certain

86WARD
04-20-2015, 06:23 AM
Why not?

A lot of times, IMO, it looks like Wheaton is on a different page than the rest of the team. He doesn't look like he's always "there." There was the one game against the Browns where he had the ball thrown to him a couple times and acted more like a defender, knocking the ball down than expecting it...I'm assuming he was surprised the ball was arriving? However, in that game, I think he had close to 100 receiving?

I like Wheaton...I liked the original pick and I like his potential. I'm just not ready to hand him the #3 spot if he's not mentally there yet and it wouldn't hurt to bring in some veteran competition. Nothing would make me happier than to see him as the #3.

Mojouw
04-20-2015, 11:17 AM
I totally get what everyone is saying about Wheaton looking out of sync and not always running the best routes. To be totally fair, it was basically his rookie season. Not too bad for an initial campaign. If he still looks "lost" this year -- problem.

There is this gem from his Wikipedia page:

2013 Rookie Season After being drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_Steelers) Wheaten played a stellar season, playing in 12 games for only 6 receptions for 64 yards and no touchdowns.

CapLovesTroyP43
04-20-2015, 11:26 PM
I enjoyed some of those actions - he wasn't all bad

http://www.sportsposterwarehouse.com/catImages/sholmes09cos-1.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/NBCSports/Sections/Personal/Williams,%20Ed/Photos/090202_Holmes.ss_full.jpg

Sure as hell can't argue with those! I doubt we would have won the SB without him to be very honest.

hawaiiansteeler
04-21-2015, 12:58 AM
He was a playmaker in big games.

with was being the operative word...

Butch
04-21-2015, 07:07 AM
with was being the operative word...

Sure it is, he has since played on the mostly worthless jets team and was picked up by an even worse bears team who let him go. The bears who have a shitty qb who is WAY over paid so I don't put much stock in their evaluation of talent.

I would be shocked to see Santonio back in Pittsburgh, but if it happened I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I will add this how many current receivers have been proven clutch in Big games???

hawaiiansteeler
04-21-2015, 01:17 PM
I would be shocked to see Santonio back in Pittsburgh, but if it happened I wouldn't be opposed to it.

I will add this how many current receivers have been proven clutch in Big games???

do you mean clutch in Big games seven years ago?

Butch
04-21-2015, 06:52 PM
do you mean clutch in Big games seven years ago?

Again who has been clutch since he left?

hawaiiansteeler
04-21-2015, 11:08 PM
Again who has been clutch since he left?

certainly not Sanstonio, no matter where he's played...

86WARD
04-22-2015, 03:56 AM
certainly not Sanstonio, no matter where he's played...

?

There were quite a few times he was clutch when he was in a Steelers uniform. Even early on with the Jets he had "clutch moments."