PDA

View Full Version : On the Steelers: Plenty of 'ifs'

fansince'76
04-05-2015, 01:25 PM
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin proclaimed at the NFL meetings in Phoenix that the Steelers have the potential to be the best offense in the league.

They may need that, because they have the potential to be among the worst on defense.

Tom Donahoe, when he was running the Steelers personnel department, often greeted April concerns from the outside about his team’s personnel with the comment that they don’t kick off for another five months, and that plenty can happen between now and then.

True, but unless the Steelers shake plenty of good defensive players out of the tree before then or draft several immediate starters, they would seem to be in a heap of trouble there.

Read more: On the Steelers: Plenty of 'ifs' (http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/04/05/On-the-Steelers-Plenty-of-ifs/stories/201504050200)

polamalubeast
04-05-2015, 01:42 PM
The defense is a big concern, but we have to wait after the draft.

The Steelers finished 11-5 despite the defense finished 30th for the DEFENSIVE EFFICIENCY RATINGS( http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef ), but of course, the schedule will be tougher this year

salamander
04-05-2015, 02:07 PM
If the defense could at least play halfway decent, we should have a chance.

fansince'76
04-05-2015, 03:49 PM
If the defense could at least play halfway decent, we should have a chance.

Like it was beginning to before Troy was inserted back into the starting lineup for the WC game? Agreed.

That's what's giving me hope - the defense was actually playing passable football for a number of weeks before that happened. If we stay relatively healthy on offense and field so much as an average defense, we could be a SB contender next season.

steelerdude15
04-05-2015, 04:50 PM
I have a feeling the defense and the team as a whole will be better next year.

salamander
04-05-2015, 06:12 PM
Like it was beginning to before Troy was inserted back into the starting lineup for the WC game? Agreed.

That's what's giving me hope - the defense was actually playing passable football for a number of weeks before that happened. If we stay relatively healthy on offense and field so much as an average defense, we could be a SB contender next season.

Exactly. As most of us have already stated, putting Troy back in the lineup destroyed any chemistry the defense was finally starting to show.

Steeldude
04-06-2015, 06:35 AM
The Steelers need to improve in at least one area on defense. Whether it's pass defense, run defense or QB pressure, something needs to improve to help get them to the Super Bowl. Also, a young player needs to emerge on defense. Polamalu is done and you can't keep relying on Harrison to do it all at his age. Jarvis Jones needs to make a gigantic leap forward. A medium step won't do it. I don't see much happening from him, but I am still hoping for the best.

This draft is critical. The secondary is a joke and has been for awhile. This defense isn't strong in any area. It would be great if they could come away with at least 3 defensive, future starters and a defensive superstar this coming draft.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a feeling the defense and the team as a whole will be better next year.

I hope your feeling is right.