PDA

View Full Version : Pick your CB

LLT
04-02-2015, 06:12 PM
If everything pans out the way that most think it will, the Steelers may have a choice of one of three good CB's at the 22 spot of the first round. All three are talented and the argument could be made for each of them being worthy of that first round pick.

Marcus Peters 6'0 197 lbs.... Aggressive CB with great play recognition and strong run support. Shows traits of being elite. Questions remain about multiple run-ins with coaching staff and his dismissal from the team. If he really is as humbled by the experience as he seemed at the combine, then we have a chance to land a shutdown corner

Kevin Johnson 6'0 188 lbs....The safest of the CB's worthy of the 22nd pock. Athletic and heady. Understands the game. Loves to fool QB's into thinking the receiver is open and has the quick twitch reflexes to make them pay. May be the best Cover corner in the draft and the most pro-ready of the three prospects. That being said...he is closer to his ceiling than the other two.

Jalen Collins 6'1 203 lbs....High effort uber-talented CB with a smaller resume than the other two. Great size/speed ratio but lack of experience shows in technique. Raises out of his backpedal instead of dropping his hips. Highest ceiling of the three CB's and the most athletic. If the Steelers can afford to be patient, he may be the best of the three in a few years.

So...who do you take?

st33lersguy
04-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Collins is too raw and I want no part of Peters. Johnson looks like he is going to be good

LLT
04-02-2015, 07:05 PM
Collins is too raw and I want no part of Peters. Johnson looks like he is going to be good

That's were I'm leaning....We need help NOW...and I worry about the gamble that the other two pose.

Dwinsgames
04-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Peters is the best CB in this draft by a large margin IMO probably a top 10 pick if he did not have the red flags ....

My comfort level is not there with him however , but I was not able to interview him and watch his expressions when he answers the tough questions so I will never be able to get the comfort level I would need to say he is my guy but the team has had the chance to do so so perhaps they have ? I would also have an off the record chat with his pos coach and head coach to be sure of who I was getting ...again something I have not been able to achieve ( hopefully the team in fact has if he is their guy )

Collins with proper coaching and time his ceiling is close to the roof , however that is potential and I do not like to draft on potential only 10 career starts is not nearly enough body of work for me to invest a first round selection on and then have to wait for him to continue to develop ..... that being said I Pass on this young man

Johnson I agree he is ready to go , wish he had a few more pounds on him but we have seen plenty of 180+ pound CBs do very well in the NFL ...I also would add he is a punishing tackler for a man his size , he can lay the wood on some hits ....between these 3 Johnson would be my selection

all that being said I am not 100% sure we go in that direction in the first round and would not be shocked to see an OLB selected and coming back for CB in round 2

LLT
04-02-2015, 08:15 PM
Peters is the best CB in this draft by a large margin IMO probably a top 10 pick if he did not have the red flags ....

My comfort level is not there with him however , but I was not able to interview him and watch his expressions when he answers the tough questions so I will never be able to get the comfort level I would need to say he is my guy but the team has had the chance to do so so perhaps they have ? I would also have an off the record chat with his pos coach and head coach to be sure of who I was getting ...again something I have not been able to achieve ( hopefully the team in fact has if he is their guy )

Collins with proper coaching and time his ceiling is close to the roof , however that is potential and I do not like to draft on potential only 10 career starts is not nearly enough body of work for me to invest a first round selection on and then have to wait for him to continue to develop ..... that being said I Pass on this young man

Johnson I agree he is ready to go , wish he had a few more pounds on him but we have seen plenty of 180+ pound CBs do very well in the NFL ...I also would add he is a punishing tackler for a man his size , he can lay the wood on some hits ....between these 3 Johnson would be my selection

all that being said I am not 100% sure we go in that direction in the first round and would not be shocked to see an OLB selected and coming back for CB in round 2

Totally possible but im still leaning towards a 2nd round OLB....wither way I think most of us know its probably going to be one OLB and two CB's in the first three rounds

Dwinsgames
04-02-2015, 08:55 PM
Totally possible but im still leaning towards a 2nd round OLB....wither way I think most of us know its probably going to be one OLB and two CB's in the first three rounds

that or 1 OLB 1 CB and 1 S ....

at least if it where us pulling the trigger it would be some semblance of one of those scenarios

Texasteel
04-02-2015, 09:25 PM
Just not ready to answer this question yet. Like I've said before, my mind keeps coming back to Collins. Not sure he wouldn't be my first choice, even of all the CBs. Still thinking.

Psycho Ward 86
04-02-2015, 10:23 PM
the more i think on this one the more i like johnson

Dwinsgames
04-02-2015, 10:29 PM

you didnt have to come out here ..... I mean really ?

lmao

st33lersguy
04-02-2015, 10:37 PM

So does Tom Brady

Mojouw
04-03-2015, 12:08 AM
If he is on the board, I gamble on Peters. But I am skewed towards high upside. He may be an irredeemable dipshit. Still, my decision, I turn in his name no hesitation. Other thank him or Wayne's, I go OLB in the first. But I'm just one angry fan with an opinion.

Steelman
04-03-2015, 09:06 AM
I voted Kevin Johnson, but I'd be very tempted to pull the trigger on Peters if those were the best options at 22 come draft day. Maybe someone can enlighten me or show me his strong points, but I just don't see it with J. Collins...seems like a second rounder at best, but I'm no expert. I know Mikey T and Co. have wined and dined him so it wouldn't surprise me if he were chosen, but I'd personally go with Kevin.

LLT you might have nailed it...can we or do we want to be patient with our corners? I think not. We're still in win-now mode and with so many holes on the defense, I think the brass goes with the player that helps them the most on Day One of the new season.

steelreserve
04-03-2015, 10:25 AM
I assume that no matter who we pick, he'll see limited or no playing time his rookie year even if he's better than Deion Sanders, Rod Woodson and Darrelle Revis combined. So Collins' high ceiling becomes more attractive and lack of experience a little less worrying. The question is whether he's available; he seems less likely than the others.

Not interested in Peters at all. The last thing we need is a dipshit with a bad attitude, and that's exactly what he sounds like. Too many other options out there.

Mojouw
04-03-2015, 11:01 AM
I found this about Johnson on http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ (profiles behind a pay wall):

CONCERNS
Kevin is a penalty machine waiting to happen at the next level. Unfortunately, he is immature and if a player is successful against him, Kevin will do something stupid to get back at him. On the deep ball, Kevin basically assaults the player if he is getting beat and, if he is successful in defending the deep ball, he goes out of his way to make sure everyone knows it from the player to the side lines. Kevin also is what I call a fake tackler. He gets there after the initial tackle is made by some other team mate and then acts like he was the one who made the initial stop. He lacks the bulk and strength to be physical, but tries to be and fails dramatically. The bigger receivers at the next level will literally abuse him physically and the smaller receivers will embarrass him too because Kevin panics and will commit penalties try to stay with them on crossing routes and curls. In my youth, older people would have called Kevin a “punk” and unfortunately, with his antics on the field, I don’t know that I would disagree with them. I DO know that I wouldn’t touch him in this draft.

Now, I don't really know anything about these players other than what I read. I simply don't enjoy watching college football. But, I do find it interesting that Peters is getting slammed all over the place for "character issues" and Johnson isn't. Particulary when the reviewer goes on to say this:

"...would sit in the combine and interview Kevin and ask him why he gives the slashing across the neck sign to opponents when he makes a good play? I would ask him why he feels the need to grab a player’s jersey on the deep ball when he is running right on the player’s hip. I would ask him why he got thrown out of a game for targeting and in the very next game hit and targeted another receiver and than pranced around like a peacock after it happened -- while the player was hurt on the ground."

Honestly, for all I know this could just be one grumpy dude's opinion. Anyone have a take on this? For additional context, the reviewer strongly states that Johnson has all the talent and then some to be a CB at the NFL level. Just thinks he is too much of an on-field jerk to pull it off.

Psycho Ward 86
04-03-2015, 11:10 AM
I found this about Johnson on http://www.thehuddlereport.com/ (profiles behind a pay wall):

CONCERNS
Kevin is a penalty machine waiting to happen at the next level. Unfortunately, he is immature and if a player is successful against him, Kevin will do something stupid to get back at him. On the deep ball, Kevin basically assaults the player if he is getting beat and, if he is successful in defending the deep ball, he goes out of his way to make sure everyone knows it from the player to the side lines. Kevin also is what I call a fake tackler. He gets there after the initial tackle is made by some other team mate and then acts like he was the one who made the initial stop. He lacks the bulk and strength to be physical, but tries to be and fails dramatically. The bigger receivers at the next level will literally abuse him physically and the smaller receivers will embarrass him too because Kevin panics and will commit penalties try to stay with them on crossing routes and curls. In my youth, older people would have called Kevin a “punk” and unfortunately, with his antics on the field, I don’t know that I would disagree with them. I DO know that I wouldn’t touch him in this draft.

Now, I don't really know anything about these players other than what I read. I simply don't enjoy watching college football. But, I do find it interesting that Peters is getting slammed all over the place for "character issues" and Johnson isn't. Particulary when the reviewer goes on to say this:

"...would sit in the combine and interview Kevin and ask him why he gives the slashing across the neck sign to opponents when he makes a good play? I would ask him why he feels the need to grab a player’s jersey on the deep ball when he is running right on the player’s hip. I would ask him why he got thrown out of a game for targeting and in the very next game hit and targeted another receiver and than pranced around like a peacock after it happened -- while the player was hurt on the ground."

Honestly, for all I know this could just be one grumpy dude's opinion. Anyone have a take on this? For additional context, the reviewer strongly states that Johnson has all the talent and then some to be a CB at the NFL level. Just thinks he is too much of an on-field jerk to pull it off.

yikes. i knew about the targeting thing and thought it was more of an isolated incident but that makes me second guess myself. anyone care to critique marcus peters purely from a playing ability standpoint?

And my bad Dwins, couldnt help myself :lol:

Steelman
04-03-2015, 02:38 PM

CONCERNS

Honestly that's the first negative thing I've heard about Kevin since draft season kicked into gear. I wonder if this is common knowledge among scouts or just one random opinion? I did a little more digging and there does seem to be some concern regarding him being penalty-prone at the next level. I haven't seen enough tape to know, but it is odd that he has been painted as this squeaky clean prospect if any of this is true. It seems more to me like an Ike Taylor type of swag/attitude. I don't mind if a guy plays hard with an attitude as long as it's not detrimental to the team.

On another note, I went and watched about five interviews with Marcus Peters and I'm inclined to believe he turned a mental corner in his life. His stance is "tape don't lie" which for all intents and purposes, is true. He seems to genuinely love the film room and applies it to practices and game time. Obviously most of his answers are probably pre-crafted to a large extent but I liked what he said about having a kid and realizing that life isn't all about own self anymore. That seemed like his most honest and authentic moment and spoke volumes to me. Obviously there's an inherent risk involved but he seems hungry and eager to prove and redeem himself.

SteelerFanInStl
04-03-2015, 02:55 PM
My pick would be Peters. Everything that I've read about his situation is that it was way overblown. He also seems to have matured since then.

I don't want the safe pick. I want the player with the most talent.

Dwinsgames
04-03-2015, 07:30 PM
I don't want the safe pick. I want the player with the most talent.

then Peters is your guy hands down IMO top 10 talent that many believe MIGHT hang around till the bottom of the first or even mid 2nd round ... but it only takes 1 team to ruin that belief

LLT
04-06-2015, 05:02 PM

CONCERNS

Saw this earlier but it was a looong Easter weekend.

I have heard zero negatives about Johnson up to this point. I personally saw the targeting penalty and it was a judgment call by the ref....it was a shoulder to shoulder hit on a "defenseless" wide receiver. Don't get me wrong...it was a wicked hit...but he didn't lead with his head , not did he hit the receiver in the head. It DID meet the "definition" of targeting, so it is what it is. Every scout has said that Johnson is aggressive and I have no problem with that

As far as the throat slashing incident...it was a single incident that he apologized to his coach for after the game ... his coach said “That’s not Kevin. It really isn’t. It’s unfortunate that one thing like that happens, but that is not him. He is a good teammate. He’s a really good kid. He’s got a good value system. He’s a hard worker. For anyone to take that one thing and read into it would not be fair to Kevin.”

Don't get me wrong...I still go back and forth between all three players....but at this point...I still think Johnson is the player who presents the most upside.

steelers fever refugee
04-07-2015, 12:23 AM
BBThink i side with the majority here and pick Johnson..but i could easily be persuaded to Collins..Peters is obviously the #1CB but after the Blount incident last season i think the front office will revert to their old ways of staying away from players with "character issues"

Mojouw
04-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Saw this earlier but it was a looong Easter weekend.

I have heard zero negatives about Johnson up to this point. I personally saw the targeting penalty and it was a judgment call by the ref....it was a shoulder to shoulder hit on a "defenseless" wide receiver. Don't get me wrong...it was a wicked hit...but he didn't lead with his head , not did he hit the receiver in the head. It DID meet the "definition" of targeting, so it is what it is. Every scout has said that Johnson is aggressive and I have no problem with that

As far as the throat slashing incident...it was a single incident that he apologized to his coach for after the game ... his coach said “That’s not Kevin. It really isn’t. It’s unfortunate that one thing like that happens, but that is not him. He is a good teammate. He’s a really good kid. He’s got a good value system. He’s a hard worker. For anyone to take that one thing and read into it would not be fair to Kevin.”

Don't get me wrong...I still go back and forth between all three players....but at this point...I still think Johnson is the player who presents the most upside.

Good to know. Like I said, I didn't really know one way or the other. But I do think that none of the high value edge rushers will be on the board when the Steelers select. I am starting to think that DB will be the best value/need match in the first round.

What about this kid from Connecticut that everyone seems to be really excited about recently?

Texasteel
04-07-2015, 10:11 AM
like LLT I've been bouncing back and forth like a pinball. How ever if I were to pick today it would likely be Johnson.

I've listened to what Peters has said about his incident, and I think I be believe him. Plus I still think something stinks a little on the coaches side of the situation, but can the Steelers take even a small gamble on him at this stage? I don't think so, not if a player like Johnson is there for us.

I have and still do like Collins very much, but he could take a year, maybe two, to hit his full stride. At this stage can the Steelers afford to wait????

At this point I see Johnson as the safest, most ready player of the three. He should only get better as well.

Pappy
04-07-2015, 06:51 PM

I agree with you, I don't think any of the corners at 22 is worth a first round pick.

LLT
04-08-2015, 06:25 PM
Good to know. Like I said, I didn't really know one way or the other. But I do think that none of the high value edge rushers will be on the board when the Steelers select. I am starting to think that DB will be the best value/need match in the first round.

What about this kid from Connecticut that everyone seems to be really excited about recently?

I put him in that same category as Collins but not rated as highly. Could pay big dividends in a year or two. Freakishly athletic but will need some technique work. I think he is going to go in the 2nd round but I think he realistically is worth a third round pick.

steelcityboyz
04-08-2015, 06:55 PM
Collins is too raw and I want no part of Peters. Johnson looks like he is going to be goodI don't know, I'd take a chance on Peters I think he has the most upside of the 3

LLT
04-08-2015, 10:05 PM
I don't know, I'd take a chance on Peters I think he has the most upside of the 3

I think Peters ability is pretty much a consensus....its just a matter of if the FO is willing to take the gamble. After Blount...and Adams...and dealing with Bell....I have serious doubts if they would gamble on a red flag in the first round.

vrabinec
04-09-2015, 12:14 PM
Timmons only had 13 starts in college, and he worked out okay. Peters is the best player of the three, I agree, but Collins is a physical freak who will hammer players. He'll be an intimidator. Johnson doesn't do anything for me. I don't touch Peters. A guy who has such weak self-control that he takes a swipe at a coach is way too risky at 22. I take Collins. Of course, I'd much rather have Dupree or Beasley, and I think the Steeler brass would, too.

Dwinsgames
04-09-2015, 12:24 PM
Timmons only had 13 starts in college, and he worked out okay. Peters is the best player of the three, I agree, but Collins is a physical freak who will hammer players. He'll be an intimidator. Johnson doesn't do anything for me. I don't touch Peters. A guy who has such weak self-control that he takes a swipe at a coach is way too risky at 22. I take Collins. Of course, I'd much rather have Dupree or Beasley, and I think the Steeler brass would, too.

hey Vrab long time no see bro

vrabinec
04-09-2015, 12:36 PM
W'sup D? Killed another Steeler board (Steeler Fever died), so I thought I'd come over here and hang out until I kill this one.

Dwinsgames
04-09-2015, 12:52 PM
it will be good to have you here , lots from Draftsteel here these days

BigNastyDefense
04-12-2015, 10:23 AM
I'll be totally honest, I like Peters. I think he learned his lesson. I think his situation was way overblown, and I think a lot of it was Chris Petersen and his staff wanting to assert themselves. If the Steelers FO feels that his suspension from the Huskies was overblown and that he's learned his lesson, I see them taking him. He's got the most talent of ever CB in the draft outside of Waynes from Michigan State.

I didn't get to see much of KJ, and while I like him from what I have seen on video he's got a lot of grabbing jerseys going on. In the NFL, that's at the least an illegal touching foul if not holding or PI. I am afraid that he could end up a penalty machine. And while I don't mind a "swag attitude," there were plenty of times where Ike Taylor was just stupid as hell and ended up with a personal foul and if that's going to be the case with Johnson, I don't want to use a first round pick on him.

Collins has a TON of upside. However, he's so damn raw. I don't want the Steelers spending a first round pick on a corner who would have to wait a year or longer before he could be ready to start, not with how bad our secondary was last year. Whoever we take in the first round need to be able to make an impact this year, if not as a starter then as a nickel corner.

Born2Steel
04-14-2015, 12:30 PM
Of those 3.....I doubt Peters is even an option for us with the many issues around him as a player and a person, I never watched a single Kevin Johnson game so I would have to take the 'experts' word on his abilities, I did see Collins play multiple times and I know this kid has the talent to be great.

I have to vote Jalen Collins. Johnson would be my 2nd pick. Pass on Peters.

Born2Steel
04-14-2015, 12:41 PM

With the depth in this draft at both OLB and CB, just a thought, what if we went Danny Shelton at 22? I'm thinking Casey Hampton part 2 with this kid. Make McLendon the rotational Dline guy because he can fill in anywhere. There are several CBs with starter potential in the 2nd/3rd, same with OLBs. Although, I don't believe any of the OLBs in this draft starts for us next season.

LLT
04-14-2015, 01:27 PM
With the depth in this draft at both OLB and CB, just a thought, what if we went Danny Shelton at 22? I'm thinking Casey Hampton part 2 with this kid. Make McLendon the rotational Dline guy because he can fill in anywhere. There are several CBs with starter potential in the 2nd/3rd, same with OLBs. Although, I don't believe any of the OLBs in this draft starts for us next season.

I like Danny Sheldon but don't think he is an option for two reasons. First of all, I think he is probably gone before #22. I also think that there will be a high quality CB or OLB available at that slot and that the FO is betting on Mclendon and McCullers being good enough for us to use our first round pick on an equally talented player at a position of need.

Dwinsgames
04-14-2015, 02:01 PM
I like Danny Sheldon but don't think he is an option for two reasons. First of all, I think he is probably gone before #22. I also think that there will be a high quality CB or OLB available at that slot and that the FO is betting on Mclendon and McCullers being good enough for us to use our first round pick on an equally talented player at a position of need.

pretty much this ...

and I personally would add I am not interested in spending a first round pick on a guy who will be a 2 down player when we need so much help for all 3 downs adding in I believe McCullers can be a real force and not ready to give up on that pick so quickly

Born2Steel
04-14-2015, 05:52 PM

I agree he will probably be gone at 22. I'm just throwing out there that this defense needs that dominant force at NT. Shelton, Malcolm Brown, Jordan Phillips, maybe Goldman, I'm just saying it would free up McLendon to play at DE or in the middle rotational/depth, still have McCullers to rotate too. I don't think we pass up on OLB or CB if our guy is there, just thinking options.

st33lersguy
04-14-2015, 07:21 PM
I think Johnson would be the safe pick here

Mojouw
04-14-2015, 08:23 PM
I get that a NT is crucial to a 3-4 base. But how often do the Steelers line up in that base package? I would guess only 50-60% of the defensive snaps. When they drafted Hampton, I bet that number was much higher. With McClendon and McCullers playing well enough, it gets really hard to justify a 1st rounder on a NT.

My vote for corner is Waynes or Peters.

Psycho Ward 86
04-14-2015, 08:52 PM
we had peters, collins, and johnson all visit correct? (+talked to johnson's parents/coaches, and had dinner with collins?)

Born2Steel
04-15-2015, 12:21 PM
The best value for CB looks to be late 2nd/3rd round. Saying this from the POV that CB is pretty much a boom or bust position. Personally, I would rather solidify the front 7 in the 1st, even be ok with going offense and taking Maxx at 22. Getting pressure and stopping the run makes every defensive back better.

vrabinec
04-15-2015, 12:40 PM
pretty much this ...

and I personally would add I am not interested in spending a first round pick on a guy who will be a 2 down player when we need so much help for all 3 downs adding in I believe McCullers can be a real force and not ready to give up on that pick so quickly

Yeah, for some reason, McCullers is the guy I can't wait to see in camp. I wish he was working out with Harrison and the linebackers. If that dude can start playing by feel so he can look for the ball and get off blocks, he could be DOMINANT. It's a big IF, but, man, the potential is scary. But, the knock on him was the drive. And, in the off season, the drive is what makes you go out and get better for next year. We'll know right away in camp whether the rumors that he didn't have the drive were true.

Dwinsgames
04-15-2015, 01:55 PM
Yeah, for some reason, McCullers is the guy I can't wait to see in camp. I wish he was working out with Harrison and the linebackers. If that dude can start playing by feel so he can look for the ball and get off blocks, he could be DOMINANT. It's a big IF, but, man, the potential is scary. But, the knock on him was the drive. And, in the off season, the drive is what makes you go out and get better for next year. We'll know right away in camp whether the rumors that he didn't have the drive were true.

you going ? if so we have to meet up

vrabinec
04-15-2015, 04:25 PM
you going ? if so we have to meet up

Not sure. It was a lot easier when we lived in Maryland, but we moved to Oklahoma last September, so I'd have to fly up and pull some sleight of hand subterfuge to explain the need to fly up to the wife. I could stay with a buddy of mine in Butler or another guy in Irwin, but then I'd have to rent a car to get around, and explaining the expense to the wife might be tricky. Must think of a good lie. Maybe have a friend die or something like that.

Mojouw
04-15-2015, 04:42 PM
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/futures/2015/futures-washington-dt-danny-shelton

Stuff like this is why I gotta figure you don't take a NT in the first round anymore. Very few of them can also rush the passer.

I honestly think that when McClendon is healthy (big IF) and base on what McCullers showed in the Ravens game -- those two provide enough in the run game.

DB or edge rusher in the first round.

LLT
04-15-2015, 05:04 PM
we had peters, collins, and johnson all visit correct? (+talked to johnson's parents/coaches, and had dinner with collins?)

Peters visited....Pro day workouts and dinner with Collins and Johnson.