PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Re-Sign WR Heyward-Bey To 1-Year Deal

86WARD
03-26-2015, 10:56 AM
According to Missi Matthews, Steelers re-signed DHB for one more year.

polamalubeast
03-26-2015, 10:56 AM
Steelers signed wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey to a one-year contract, the team announced today.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/581120727585333248

Steelman
03-26-2015, 11:09 AM
Meh. I think there will be a few late-round WR's in the draft that would be better additions to the position group. DHB is nothing more than a ST player anymore.

NCSteeler
03-26-2015, 11:18 AM
Waste of time and money

steelreserve
03-26-2015, 11:27 AM
OK, since we're apparently making roster moves at random now, I vote next we sign either James Hetfield or Butterbean.

http://www.graciemag.com/pt/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/eric_butterbean_esch_470.jpeg

86WARD
03-26-2015, 11:49 AM
He was a decent special teams contributor, but as far as a skill player, he was pretty terrible. I'd much rather see a young draft pick in his roster place.

st33lersguy
03-26-2015, 12:09 PM
He will be a no. 5 receiver so he won't be doing a lot anyway

polamalubeast
03-26-2015, 12:12 PM
Steelers signed WR Darrius Heyward-Bey to a 1-year contract

DHB has dropped 8.6% of his NFL targets, highest among 1st round WR from 09-14

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/581127153305157632

ouch!

86WARD
03-26-2015, 02:15 PM
He will be a no. 5 receiver so he won't be doing a lot anyway

Can we hope he doesn't make it that far?

fansince'76
03-26-2015, 10:33 PM
https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/581127153305157632

ouch!

He should have never been a first rounder to begin with. Another Al Davis special.

Dwinsgames
03-27-2015, 12:32 AM
He should have never been a first rounder to begin with. Another Al Davis special.

ranks right up there with these first round WR from 2000-2010 that never did anything to amount to the draft status they achieved and why I have always said there is no other position tougher to translate from College to NFL ...
and I left some marginal guys out such as Crabtree because he has some success ( he is not the only marginal one either)

Troy Williamson
Ted Ginn
Travis Taylor
Sylvester Morris
R. Jay Soward
David Terrell
Freddie Mitchell
Rod Gardner
Donte' Stallworth
Ashley Lelie
Charles Rogers
Bryant Johnson
Reggie Williams
Lee Evans
Michael Clayton
Michael Jenkins
Rashaun Woods
Mike Williams
Matt Jones
Mark Clayton
Robert Meachem
Craig Davis
Anthony Gonzalez
Donnie Avery

86WARD
03-27-2015, 04:22 AM
That's a good list...Out of that list, it looked like Lee Evans might have had a promising career but then just vanished...

Butch
03-27-2015, 07:53 AM
We got rid of Sweed years back now we have his equal and we re-sign him??? Dumb Dumb Dumb!!! Even if he is good on Special teams he is not worth a roster spot.

Mojouw
03-27-2015, 09:33 AM
If he wasn't a former first round pick, but he was a former 5th round pick that was a dominant special teams player, a willing blocker as a deep reserve WR, and a veteran presence for a young WR group, would we all react the same way?

It isn't like they are paying him as a useful wideout...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03/darrius-heyward-bey-signing-about-financial-locker-room-value/

steelreserve
03-27-2015, 10:32 AM
I'd argue that QB is a tougher position to translate to the NFL, but after that, WR is right up there as the most unpredictable. At WR though, along with the high-profile busts, you also get plenty of random guys who are successful from the 3rd through 7th rounds. So I'd argue that that's where you really want to be drafting those guys, not the first round.

Carlos Rogers ... now there's a guy who would've been great in the NFL, if he wasn't addicted to everything he could get his hands on. At least he's a good reason to break out the smilies.

:idiot: :joint:

Dwinsgames
03-27-2015, 10:45 AM
I'd argue that QB is a tougher position to translate to the NFL, but after that, WR is right up there as the most unpredictable. At WR though, along with the high-profile busts, you also get plenty of random guys who are successful from the 3rd through 7th rounds. So I'd argue that that's where you really want to be drafting those guys, not the first round.

Carlos Rogers ... now there's a guy who would've been great in the NFL, if he wasn't addicted to everything he could get his hands on. At least he's a good reason to break out the smilies.

:idiot: :joint:

while i see your point the reason I place WR higher on that list is WR is more about what you yourself are able to do ( more self reliant ) ... where as at QB you have to have some semblance of a rushing game , guys who can keep you at the very least semi upright and then you still need guys to catch the ball and a system that takes advantage of your skill set .....

more things have to gel at QB so many more variables as to why they succeed or fail ...

at WR you have to create separation ( that's on you ) run decent to good routes ( that's on you ) Catch the ball ( that is on you ) beat the jam ( that is on you ) the only thing the WR has to rely on someone else for is putting the ball in his catch radius ... ( that is out of his control )

tube517
03-27-2015, 12:01 PM
We've signed vet WRs to be #4 or #5 guys before. Big plus if a special teamer. Sean Morey, Arnaz Battle were more ST guys. Vet guys in the past: Quincy Morgan (also returned kicks), Joey Galloway, Terence Mathis, ARE (post Foreskins), Plaxico (post J-E-T-S).

Considering we've had Limas Sweed, Lee Mays, Willie Reid, Dallas Baker, (list scrub WR here) in this spot before, this is par for the course for the Steelers.

Just keep him off the damn "All Hands" team.

steelreserve
03-27-2015, 12:15 PM
while i see your point the reason I place WR higher on that list is WR is more about what you yourself are able to do ( more self reliant ) ... where as at QB you have to have some semblance of a rushing game , guys who can keep you at the very least semi upright and then you still need guys to catch the ball and a system that takes advantage of your skill set .....

more things have to gel at QB so many more variables as to why they succeed or fail ...

at WR you have to create separation ( that's on you ) run decent to good routes ( that's on you ) Catch the ball ( that is on you ) beat the jam ( that is on you ) the only thing the WR has to rely on someone else for is putting the ball in his catch radius ... ( that is out of his control )

Yeah, I guess it's true that you find a lot more good WRs on bad teams than good QBs on bad teams ... probably for all of the reasons above.

86WARD
03-27-2015, 03:56 PM
Lol...I forgot Joey Galloway was on the team for 10 minutes...