PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin: Pittsburgh Steelers will be 'above the line' at cornerback

polamalubeast
03-24-2015, 02:36 PM
PHOENIX -- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin didn't borrow from Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers Tuesday and tell fans to R-E-L-A-X over the situation at cornerback.

The eighth-year coach is confident the Steelers will be more than capable at cornerback in 2015 despite the inexperience they have at the position and finishing 27th in the NFL against the pass last season.

"I expect the guys that we have to continue to grow and get better," Tomlin said at the NFL owners meetings. "I expect to add credible, competent men to add to that mix to provide competition and put them in a competitive environment and see who comes out on top. I'm completely comfortable that at the end of that we're going to have above the line corner play."

The Steelers have just three cornerbacks with NFL experience on their roster, though Antwon Blake is expected to sign the one-year, $1.554 million contract the team offered him as a restricted free agent.

Tomlin cited Blake as a young cornerback who made some big plays last season and is on the rise.

The Steelers have largely shrugged off questions and concerns about the cornerback position after allowing 253 passing yards per game last season, and so far losing instead of adding players at the position.

Tomlin explained why Tuesday at the media breakfast for AFC coaches.

"We believe in the process that we go through and we also believe in the men that we have," Tomlin said. "I know some of the guys that we have on our roster at the position right now don't have extended resumes. That's always the case. How do you gain experience without going through the process of gaining experience? These guys are driven and they want to be positive contributors to our efforts and reasons why we're successful and some of those guys played key roles down the stretch last year."

read more

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/164987/mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-will-be-above-the-line-at-cornerback

SteelerFanInStl
03-24-2015, 03:48 PM
They believed in the men that they had last year too and look how that turned out.

st33lersguy
03-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Are they transporting a young Mel Blount to 2015 to play cornerback?

86WARD
03-25-2015, 11:40 AM
Can we start the "Fire Tomlin" talk now or do you guys think it's too early for that?

fansince'76
03-25-2015, 11:54 AM
What's he supposed to say, exactly? That the defense is going to be a dumpster fire again?

polamalubeast
03-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Can we start the "Fire Tomlin" talk now or do you guys think it's too early for that?

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/20890-FIRE-MIKE-TOMLIN!!

NCSteeler
03-26-2015, 11:21 AM
What's he supposed to say, exactly? That the defense is going to be a dumpster fire again?

He could say what a lot of coaches say. it's quite simple "we are short handed at cornerback and look to add to our depth and talent" " we need to get better on the back end,"

Mojouw
03-26-2015, 12:57 PM
He could say what a lot of coaches say. it's quite simple "we are short handed at cornerback and look to add to our depth and talent" " we need to get better on the back end,"

What coaches say that? That's ridiculous. No one would even dream of tipping their hand like that prior to the draft.

Of course the secondary is currently awful and needs added to. If we can see it, I suspect that the staff can see it. I don't give a crap about what they say, I give a crap about what they do about it between now and the regular season.

Psycho Ward 86
03-27-2015, 12:26 AM
is this line below sea level like last year?

Psycho Ward 86
03-27-2015, 12:31 AM
What coaches say that? That's ridiculous. No one would even dream of tipping their hand like that prior to the draft.

Of course the secondary is currently awful and needs added to. If we can see it, I suspect that the staff can see it. I don't give a crap about what they say, I give a crap about what they do about it between now and the regular season.

normally i would agree but our pass defense isnt exactly a secret

Mojouw
03-27-2015, 09:36 AM
normally i would agree but our pass defense isnt exactly a secret

I was by no means arguing that it was. Just that the reactions against some of the coaching staffs' quotes are over the top. We are comparing the Steelers to an imaginary reality.

For instance, the Bills quarterbacking situation is atrocious. As bad or worse than the Steelers secondary. They are not ripping off quotes about how they can't wait to add to the group, it is a priority, etc. I mean, Rex knows that McCown and Manuel are not the answer right....right...

tube517
03-27-2015, 12:03 PM
I expect to add credible, competent men to add to that mix That tells me they are expecting to get some help in the draft. Let's see how this plays out in the draft.

Psycho Ward 86
03-27-2015, 03:26 PM
I was by no means arguing that it was. Just that the reactions against some of the coaching staffs' quotes are over the top. We are comparing the Steelers to an imaginary reality.

For instance, the Bills quarterbacking situation is atrocious. As bad or worse than the Steelers secondary. They are not ripping off quotes about how they can't wait to add to the group, it is a priority, etc. I mean, Rex knows that McCown and Manuel are not the answer right....right...

i see what you're getting at, but I think the implications are different when you're trying to exude confidence about your QB's vs. other positions. you want your QB to be THE man, and to suggest otherwise could be much more of a detriment to your team than some other position imo