PDA

View Full Version : Losing Starting Job to James Harrison Would Cement Jarvis Jones as Draft Bust

polamalubeast
03-23-2015, 06:40 PM
Back in 2013, the Pittsburgh Steelers used their first-round pick on Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones. So confident were the Steelers that Jones would thrive in the NFL that the team bid adieu to longtime defensive stalwart James Harrison in free agency.

Well, after a year in Cincinnati, Harrison was back on the team last year, in part because Jones has struggled mightily as a pro—so much so, in fact, that Jones may be about to seal his status as a draft bust by losing his starting job to a soon-to-be 37-year-old.

That's the latest from Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, who reported over the weekend that general manager Kevin Colbert views outside linebacker as an "open competition" this spring:

read more

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2406773-losing-starting-job-to-james-harrison-would-cement-jarvis-jones-as-draft-bust?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=br_pittsteelers&utm_source=twitter.com

Dwinsgames
03-23-2015, 07:00 PM
boy they really based this on fact ... NOT

look I love Harrisons return but he did not come back last year because Jones was ineffective , he returned AFTER Jones got hurt , Jones was playing rather well until that point ..

they make it sound like Jones stunk it up and we brought in Harrison to shore it up , when no such thing happened ...

the open competition is as it should be , however which one is the starter at the end of the day is not going to make any difference at all both will see significant playing time ... a 37 year old OLB is not going to play 40+ snaps a game week in week out guessing they see equal play time regardless of who the starter is

jb500ex
03-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Because he had two sacks doesn't mean he was playing well because he wasn't. He was getting abused in the run game and still looked feeble rushing the passer. One of my favorite plays last year he was i the slot wr went to jam him and the wr knocked him on his ass. He's a long way away from being a nfl caliber player, a long way.

fansince'76
03-23-2015, 07:37 PM
:rolleyes:

Hawkman
03-23-2015, 07:39 PM
Because he had two sacks doesn't mean he was playing well because he wasn't. He was getting abused in the run game and still looked feeble rushing the passer. One of my favorite plays last year he was i the slot wr went to jam him and the wr knocked him on his ass. He's a long way away from being a nfl caliber player, a long way.

One of your favorite plays??!!!?? You want him to suck? Must be a Ratbird lover!!

fansince'76
03-23-2015, 07:41 PM
One of your favorite plays??!!!?? You want him to suck? Must be a Ratbird lover!!

Pay him no mind. He thinks Timmons blows too...

LLT
03-23-2015, 07:53 PM

Soooooo....you are making the claim that our first round pick AND starter last year....isn't even good enough to BE in the NFL????

Uh...yea....ok.

Butch
03-23-2015, 09:40 PM
I have faith in Jarvis and that when the time comes he will be ready to step up. James was not the LBer he is now when he 1st started either. Also he did not play much when he was behind JPeezy, so he is not as worn as some who are his age.

Dwinsgames
03-23-2015, 09:52 PM
I have faith in Jarvis and that when the time comes he will be ready to step up. James was not the LBer he is now when he 1st started either. Also he did not play much when he was behind JPeezy, so he is not as worn as some who are his age.

was 26 before he ever had any meaningful snaps

Jones is only 25 and has a plethora of exp in comparison . does it matter ? who knows

Craic
03-24-2015, 12:16 AM
was 26 before he ever had any meaningful snaps

Jones is only 25 and has a plethora of exp in comparison . does it matter ? who knows

Timmons might be a better example, even. First year he didn't start any games at all. He had no sacks and 13 tackles. Second year, he started 2 games, had five sacks and 65 tackles. Jones, his first year, started 8 games, had 40 tackles and 1 sack, including 4 defended passes. This year, he dressed for seven games, but was injured, so he only started in 3 and his play was very limited. Even so, he had 18 tackles and 2 sacks, including a forced fumble.

What does that mean? Nothing, except that anyone who thinks he's a "bust" cracks me up. He was lost his first year, as most NFL rookie linebackers are, especially in Lebeau's defense. His second year he was coming along, and then got injured.

It's a good thing we don't have a lot of these people running the Steelers, or we'd end up looking like the Browns.

jb500ex
03-24-2015, 05:51 AM
Timmons is a average lb who's paid as he best at his position. He is overrated and that's why every grade you find on him says he's good at best. Guys like timmons are why we haven't won a playoff game in 4 seasons. If you think he's good you have a long way to go. And yes I loved watching Jarvis get knocked on his ass hated he pick and get a chuckl out of the many on here who thought he was going to be the next great one. He is a bust and no he's not a nfl caliber player yet and that is what makes him being a first round pick a disaster. He defense got a lot better the day he got hurt

fansince'76
03-24-2015, 08:04 AM
:doh2:

Mojouw
03-24-2015, 08:51 AM
Whelp. Like pretty much everything in life, the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Jones was/is certainly not the 1st round stud lock for the Defensive Rookie of the Year that many talking heads made him out to be. While I hated the pick then and still don't like the pick now, I am not ready to throw in the towel and call Jarvis a bust. This season is definitely make or break.

As for Timmons, quick name me 5 ILB in a 3-4 playing right now that you would take over him.

smokin3000gt
03-25-2015, 09:09 AM
Timmons might be a better example, even. First year he didn't start any games at all. He had no sacks and 13 tackles. Second year, he started 2 games, had five sacks and 65 tackles. Jones, his first year, started 8 games, had 40 tackles and 1 sack, including 4 defended passes. This year, he dressed for seven games, but was injured, so he only started in 3 and his play was very limited. Even so, he had 18 tackles and 2 sacks, including a forced fumble.

What does that mean? Nothing, except that anyone who thinks he's a "bust" cracks me up. He was lost his first year, as most NFL rookie linebackers are, especially in Lebeau's defense. His second year he was coming along, and then got injured.

It's a good thing we don't have a lot of these people running the Steelers, or we'd end up looking like the Browns.

This. The only upside to looking like the Browns is that a lot of these 'fans' would piss off.

Steeldude
03-25-2015, 09:58 AM
I really hope Jones will show something this year. I am curious as to what people saw last year in Jones to suggest he improved. I am not doubting another person's opinion, but I don't recall seeing much of a change from his rookie year.

He needs to get stronger, but he made it clear that really isn't on his lists of things to do.

Bluecoat96
03-25-2015, 10:04 AM
I really hope Jones will show something this year. I am curious as to what people saw last year in Jones to suggest he improved. I am not doubting another person's opinion, but I don't recall seeing much of a change from his rookie year.

He needs to get stronger, but he made it clear that really isn't on his lists of things to do.

I don't know if it means anything, but it was nice to see him working with the other Steeler linebackers out in AZ.

Steeldude
03-25-2015, 10:13 AM
I don't know if it means anything, but it was nice to see him working with the other Steeler linebackers out in AZ.

Yes, that was good to see. I hope he takes it seriously for the entire off-season. He appears to be the smallest of the LBs attending.

Dwinsgames
03-25-2015, 11:15 AM

I think the improvement had more to do with not having to think as much and was more instinctive but that was just 2 games of play after he returned from injury we did not see a great deal of him so was harder to judge ( not enough of his play was on camera o form an opinion ) for me anyways

86WARD
03-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Let's be honest...as strong as Harrison is, he still needs a spotter...