PDA

View Full Version : Steelers ILB Lawrence Timmons a potential cap-casualty in 2016

Psycho Ward 86
03-21-2015, 02:23 PM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2015/3/21/8269163/steelers-ilb-lawrence-timmons-a-potential-cap-casualty-in-2016

$11.8 million cap hit in 2016

polamalubeast
03-21-2015, 02:29 PM
WTF!.....I hope it's a joke!.....His cap hit this year is even higher(12,5 millions) and next year the Steelers will not be in trouble for the salary cap

Count Steeler
03-21-2015, 03:31 PM
Slow news day.

jb500ex
03-21-2015, 04:25 PM
Steelers still have cap issues next year when you look at it

Count Steeler
03-21-2015, 05:53 PM
If Timmons keep playing at this level, they can extend him and work out the cap implications.

If Timmons falls off the cliff, then he won't be a cap casualty, he will be an ineffective player casualty. (don't think this is the likely scenario)

steel striker
03-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Let's cross that bridge when we come to it.

Psycho Ward 86
03-23-2015, 04:12 PM
dont see this scenario playing out unless for some random reason timmons fell off an absolute cliff and had a ridiculously devastating injury.

on a tangent, am i the only one who thinks we really need to do something about our ILB depth? I wish vince williams or sean spence had more NFL experience so that we could trade one of them to the 49ers for decent value or something.

steelreserve
03-23-2015, 04:50 PM
on a tangent, am i the only one who thinks we really need to do something about our ILB depth? I wish vince williams or sean spence had more NFL experience so that we could trade one of them to the 49ers for decent value or something.

Wait - you're concerned about depth, so you'd want to trade away the guys who currently are our depth?

I don't think there's anything wrong with either of them. As backups, they're great. As spot starters, they hold their own. That's about all you can ask for.

As for Timmons, we won't release him. We'll just do what we always do and restructure his contract for the 30,000th time. It should come back to bite us right when it's time to re-sign the best of the current crop of rookies.

Psycho Ward 86
03-23-2015, 05:01 PM
Wait - you're concerned about depth, so you'd want to trade away the guys who currently are our depth?

I don't think there's anything wrong with either of them. As backups, they're great. As spot starters, they hold their own. That's about all you can ask for.

As for Timmons, we won't release him. We'll just do what we always do and restructure his contract for the 30,000th time. It should come back to bite us right when it's time to re-sign the best of the current crop of rookies.

Um. i am concerned about depth but nowhere in this thread did i say that. im concerned about OLB, CB, and S depth. I was thinking more along the lines of trade spence or williams for a young budding CB on some other team who has a high ceiling.

steelreserve
03-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Um. i am concerned about depth but nowhere in this thread did i say that. im concerned about OLB, CB, and S depth. I was thinking more along the lines of trade spence or williams for a young budding CB on some other team who has a high ceiling.

Well, you said right up there "am I the only one who thinks we need to do something about our ILB depth?" If I misunderstood that or you meant OLB, I apologize.

If we could trade one of those guys for a GOOD young DB, that would be awesome. But I would think the odds of that are pretty low, since those are a lot harder to find. In any case, we've got the draft coming up where we can hopefully find a good young DB for free. In the meantime, I'm just happy with Williams and Spence for being mid-to-low draft picks that worked out pretty well and not total busts. Although every time I see Spence out there, I can't help but think, damn, how good could he have been if he hadn't suffered that freak injury.

Psycho Ward 86
03-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Well, you said right up there "am I the only one who thinks we need to do something about our ILB depth?" If I misunderstood that or you meant OLB, I apologize.

If we could trade one of those guys for a GOOD young DB, that would be awesome. But I would think the odds of that are pretty low, since those are a lot harder to find. In any case, we've got the draft coming up where we can hopefully find a good young DB for free. In the meantime, I'm just happy with Williams and Spence for being mid-to-low draft picks that worked out pretty well and not total busts. Although every time I see Spence out there, I can't help but think, damn, how good could he have been if he hadn't suffered that freak injury.

i meant in regards to taking advantage of it by trading it for other areas of need