PDA

View Full Version : Haley sees role for Archer

polamalubeast
03-18-2015, 08:20 PM
Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley hasn't given up on Dri Archer quite yet — as a running back or a returner.
Haley said on Wednesday there needs to be patience with the development of the Steelers' 2014 third-round draft pick out of Kent State and that the Steelers plan to find a specific role to highlight's Archer's best aspect — his 4.2 speed.
“The important thing is that we do have a role for him if he is going to have a helmet on Sundays, and he gets his five and six touches a game,” Haley said on Wednesday during the Steelers Nation Unite “Weekly Huddle” fan forum session. “Any one of those plays he has the chance to take it to the house with that speed. Let's just have a little patience and let him continue to develop, and we will definitely have a plan to get him touches throughout the season.”
Archer managed only 10 rushes and seven receptions in 12 games as a rookie. He missed two games with an ankle injury and two late in the year because of a coach's decision. Archer also lost his starting job as a kick returner after Week 7.
Haley said that because Archer came out of a mid-major conference like the MAC put him at a disadvantage.
“When you get guys like that, sometimes the transition time is a little longer than we all would like, himself included,” Haley said.
Haley also said during the 30-minute forum that he expects Martavis Bryant to push Markus Wheaton for the No. 2 receiver spot behind Antonio Brown.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/8000167-74/haley-steelers-archer#ixzz3Un3XzeDF
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

Dwinsgames
03-18-2015, 08:24 PM
Haley said on Wednesday there needs to be patience with the development of the Steelers' 2014 third-round draft pick out of Kent State and that the Steelers plan to find a specific role to highlight's Archer's best aspect — his 4.2 speed

Haley said that because Archer came out of a mid-major conference like the MAC put him at a disadvantage.
“When you get guys like that, sometimes the transition time is a little longer than we all would like,

does any of that sound remotely familiar ? ( I have been saying it all along )

Hindes204
03-18-2015, 08:31 PM
I said it the second we drafted him and I never stopped saying it......total and absolute waste of a draft pick

LLT
03-18-2015, 10:36 PM
I said it the second we drafted him and I never stopped saying it......total and absolute waste of a draft pick

Agreed...players who naturally hesitate and are indecisive, cancel out any advantage that speed would have given them.

steelreserve
03-18-2015, 11:25 PM
Man, this is one guy I wouldn't mind seeing get into a nightclub altercation and get arrested, then be released for being more trouble than he's worth.

Lady Steel
03-18-2015, 11:34 PM
Dri, Dri, Dri, Dri!

Okay, yeah, I'm just not into you.

86WARD
03-19-2015, 05:43 AM
Man, this is one guy I wouldn't mind seeing get into a nightclub altercation and get arrested, then be released for being more trouble than he's worth.

Yeah...I'd pretty much trade him for that. Then sign Bernard Pierce.

Butch
03-19-2015, 06:32 AM
How many experiments do we need on Offense? Dri Archer and Landry Jones both need to be sent packing.

fansince'76
03-19-2015, 07:10 AM
Great. More wasted plays that are doomed from the snap to look forward to...

X-Terminator
03-19-2015, 07:19 AM
Ya know Todd, it's OK to simply cut your losses and move on from Archer. I don't think he will ever amount to anything.

Wonder why he has so many detractors? Well, here you go.

Shoes
03-19-2015, 07:31 AM
Lets hope Haley finds some plays to use Archer and not the 3rd and one up the middle. I think he will do well this year.

polamalubeast
03-19-2015, 08:30 AM
Great. More wasted plays that are doomed from the snap to look forward to...

Todd Haley Wants To Give Dri Archer 5-6 Touches A Game

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03/todd-haley-wants-to-give-dri-archer-5-6-touches-a-game/

polamalubeast
03-19-2015, 08:42 AM
The Steelers have a lot of talent with the offense, especially if Bryant and Wheaton are better at their 2nd full season, so the Steelers do not need gadget play in their offense and a gadget play, it can be a big drive killer too

Steelman
03-19-2015, 09:13 AM
More like Haley sees the price tag of 3rd round draft pick and feels compelled to use him....a niche role of 5-6 touches a game? Total waste of a pick.

Texasteel
03-19-2015, 09:13 AM
I wish the kid well, and hope that Dri can find a useful purpose on this team, but if Haley plans to force feed him just to sooth a few egos he has put himself above the team, and needs to go right along with Archer.

Steelerette
03-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Damn son. Archer wasn't good last season. Maybe he was even bad. I can think of another player from Kent State who needed a few years to develop into something proper... if we can get him and his speed acclimated to the return game then I'm all for some patience. It's not like we can go back in time and draft him a round later; not being the best draft value is something different from having no potential value to the team.

ALLD
03-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Driver killing Dri Archer is his name. The best way to use him is for Ben to handoff the ball to Archer and then do something that no other QB has ever done. Pick Archer up and throw him over the middle. Wherever he lands he can run since he already has the ball. Come on, the kid should be on top of a cake.

Mojouw
03-19-2015, 02:14 PM
If the move on from "drrrrrrr....Archer runs behind the guard.....drrrrr Archer runs behind the center.....drrrrr obvious power sweep" when the manufacture his touches, Archer may be able to have a Darren Sproles type impact on the a given game. Sproles is a player who has had "manufactured" touches for years and can really boost an offense.

See how preseason goes before I totally give up on Archer.

ALLD
03-19-2015, 03:55 PM
http://www.bradycakes.net/images/730_Football_Birthday_Cake_-_Bam_Bam_-_041412_-_BE3.jpg