PDA

View Full Version : DeCastro: 'It was a trip of a lifetime'

stillers4me
03-17-2015, 06:16 PM
“It was a trip of a lifetime.”

That is how guard David DeCastro (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/david-decastro/77df3eb5-6638-4fa8-88a0-74a43a25a457/) described the USO Tour he recently returned from. A tour that had him travel 25,400 nautical miles and go around the world in six days, 17 ˝ hours. It was a trip where he spent a third of his time, around 52 hours, on an airplane. A trip that left him without much sleep, and struggling to get back on schedule when he returned, but one he wouldn’t trade for anything in the world.

“It’s something you don’t get to do every day and will never do again,” said DeCastro. “It was really special. It was so much in such a little time. It was such a whirlwind, so many cool life experiences. The best trip of my life wrapped into one fast week.”.............

Read more @
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/DeCastro-It-was-a-trip-of-a-lifetime/c5014468-cb90-4d86-bb39-02b44e07ddab

Butch
03-17-2015, 09:15 PM
The USO tours are awesome for the troops as well. I remember back in 2000 Terry Bradshaw came over to Aviano when I was there. My youngest got to introduce him. He gave my boy the autographed ball. We still have it to this day and got to meet Terry as well. He is a class act and when you see him on Fox that is Terry through and through.

katmandu
03-19-2015, 12:25 AM
The USO tours are awesome for the troops as well. I remember back in 2000 Terry Bradshaw came over to Aviano when I was there. My youngest got to introduce him. He gave my boy the autographed ball. We still have it to this day and got to meet Terry as well. He is a class act and when you see him on Fox that is Terry through and through.How cool is that!

I was stationed at Wright-Patterson AFB several years ago. I went to the Commissary during lunch break one day, I was walking down an aisle, turned a corner and just about bumped into Rocky Blier ! Shocked the sh1t out of me! I had no idea he was there to sign autographs there that day! I about had a heart attack! Lol!

katmandu
03-19-2015, 12:34 AM
“It was a trip of a lifetime.”

That is how guard David DeCastro (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/david-decastro/77df3eb5-6638-4fa8-88a0-74a43a25a457/) described the USO Tour he recently returned from. A tour that had him travel 25,400 nautical miles and go around the world in six days, 17 ˝ hours. It was a trip where he spent a third of his time, around 52 hours, on an airplane. A trip that left him without much sleep, and struggling to get back on schedule when he returned, but one he wouldn’t trade for anything in the world.

“It’s something you don’t get to do every day and will never do again,” said DeCastro. “It was really special. It was so much in such a little time. It was such a whirlwind, so many cool life experiences. The best trip of my life wrapped into one fast week.”.............

Read more @
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/DeCastro-It-was-a-trip-of-a-lifetime/c5014468-cb90-4d86-bb39-02b44e07ddabWOW!

Folks really need to take a few minutes and read all about Dave's trip!

I liked this part when he said...

“We took off one morning in a smaller plane where you fly off an aircraft carrier. That was crazy. There was a little G Force. The take off was crazy because you are in a catapult thing where the fighter jets take off. You go from zero to 150 in three seconds. Your blood rushes to your hands and feet. You are holding on, facing backwards. You come off the ship and you dip and climb.”

SCSTILLER
03-21-2015, 02:24 PM
The USO tours are awesome for the troops as well. I remember back in 2000 Terry Bradshaw came over to Aviano when I was there. My youngest got to introduce him. He gave my boy the autographed ball. We still have it to this day and got to meet Terry as well. He is a class act and when you see him on Fox that is Terry through and through.

Butch, I think I was on that USO trip, was it close to Christmas? I was a C-17 Flying Crew Chief and in 1999/2000, can't remember which year, I flew a USO trip and we hit Ramstein, Aviano, Bosnia, Bahrain, and a location in Saudi Arabia. Terry Bradshaw was on the trip along with Mike Singletary, Ernie Banks, Jewel (she is a beeatch), Ruth Pointer, Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders (only good thing about the Cowboys), Al Franken, and three MoH recipients along with some politicians. Spent nearly two weeks with them all. Great trip. Played catch with Terry Bradshaw in the cargo compartment during one flight...he was flipping the football at us using only wrist, and we were catching the football in self defense. Also, Terry was more than happy to sign about 10 Steelers caps for me that were used as Christmas gifts for my family.