PDA

View Full Version : No. 1 pick Pouncey No. 1 center

Galax Steeler
08-26-2010, 03:46 AM
The Maurkice Pouncey Era seems ready to begin. The rookie moved onto the first team at center for an entire practice Wednesday and smiled broadly at the prospect of opening the season as the Steelers' starter.

"It put a big smile on me," Pouncey said after practice, acknowledging he took every snap with the first team. "I ain't going to lie, but I just need to go out there and practice every day. I want to stay humble. I'm happy about it. I just want to stay humble and keep working at it."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10238/1082784-66.stm#ixzz0xhSD3P4k

BuddhaBus
08-26-2010, 03:59 AM
That is great news! I'm excited to see a first rounder hit the field running from day one. This can only help our suspect O-line. Too bad Hartwig's sulking about it. He needs to man up and accept his new role. He could easily make himself valuable to the team at another position, maybe RG, as well as back-up center.

It's also good to hear Dixon is going to be getting some snaps with the first team. We'll see if he can continue his solid play with starters on the field. Good post, Galax!

Steeldude
08-26-2010, 04:32 AM
That is great news! I'm excited to see a first rounder hit the field running from day one. This can only help our suspect O-line. Too bad Hartwig's sulking about it. He needs to man up and accept his new role. He could easily make himself valuable to the team at another position, maybe RG, as well as back-up center.

It's also good to hear Dixon is going to be getting some snaps with the first team. We'll see if he can continue his solid play with starters on the field. Good post, Galax!

well in hartwig's defense he may have been quiet because he knows the end is near. he isn't getting any younger. i think every player is bothered when they get benched or on the verge of being cut.

you are right, i think he could play RG. center may be just too much for him now, but we will have to see how pouncey does this weekend. pouncey stills needs to get stronger. i wonder how he will do against the ravens' ngata.

Killer
08-26-2010, 05:00 AM
Way to go Pouncey! Just like I perdicted!

KFFL - Steelers | Justin Hartwig likely has to start to make team
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 16:29:26 -0400

Pittsburgh Steelers C Justin Hartwig will likely have to be a starter in order to make the team's final roster, reports Scott Brown, of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. C Maurkice Pouncey is leading Hartwig for the starting center job. Hartwig could play guard if necessary because of an injury, but OL Doug Legurski is a less expensive option.

HometownGal
08-26-2010, 05:15 AM
This is fantastic news! :yay3: :applaudit: Pouncey has been soooo impressive and has earned the starting C slot imho. I never was impressed with Hartwig and though, like all former Steelers, I appreciate his contributions to the team, I won't be sorry to see him go. :wave:

zulater
08-26-2010, 05:23 AM
Very good news, but don't think there wont be some growing pains when the games start to count.

Aussie_steeler
08-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Congrats to Pouncey. Let his time in the spotlight begin now.

If Hartwig is gone lets hope they try to get something for him.

Hell we got a 7th for Mahan. Hartwig has gotta be worth something. Any suggestions??

Texasteel
08-26-2010, 05:49 AM
Congrats to Pouncey. Let his time in the spotlight begin now.

If Hartwig is gone lets hope they try to get something for him.

Hell we got a 7th for Mahan. Hartwig has gotta be worth something. Any suggestions??

As I recall Aussie, Pouncey was the one you pushed from start to finish last year. Great call my friend. Everyone is sure as hell going to listen when you talk this year.

Aussie_steeler
08-26-2010, 06:13 AM
As I recall Aussie, Pouncey was the one you pushed from start to finish last year. Great call my friend. Everyone is sure as hell going to listen when you talk this year.

Thanks Tex. Its too early to make bold predictions but brother Mike could well be a logical place to start for 2011.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/25/1790923/ufs-mike-pouncey-may-shift-to.html

His brother stays in college for another year to build his resume by playing OC. We know he can play OG, but add RT to that??? We know the steeler scouts have a lot of film on his brother, they like versatile lineman and he has a man on the inside to push his case.

Not going out on a limb but I am sowing some seed.

Texasteel
08-26-2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks Tex. Its too early to make bold predictions but brother Mike could well be a logical place to start for 2011.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/25/1790923/ufs-mike-pouncey-may-shift-to.html

His brother stays in college for another year to build his resume by playing OC. We know he can play OG, but add RT to that??? We know the steeler scouts have a lot of film on his brother, they like versatile lineman and he has a man on the inside to push his case.

Not going out on a limb but I am sowing some seed.

That is a great seed to sow. I would love to see him line up next to his brother, and with the draft depth at OT this line could become our strong point instead of a question mark.

SirHulka
08-26-2010, 08:01 AM
OC has to make a lot of line calls, and adjustments. With the flux in your line, expect quite a few missed assignments at first. Could be bad news for Leftwich.

Shoes
08-26-2010, 08:40 AM
Congrats to Big P.........hope his brother will be playing next to him next season!

Killer
08-26-2010, 09:06 AM
OC has to make a lot of line calls, and adjustments. With the flux in your line, expect quite a few missed assignments at first. Could be bad news for Leftwich.

ha ha - he's kicking ass as opposed to getting bowled over

nice try, maybe next time some yokel will believe your doom and gloom

Steeltreal
08-26-2010, 09:24 AM
So does a center go to the probowl based on how many yards Mendenhall can get?

Killer
08-26-2010, 09:33 AM
"It put a big smile on me," Pouncey said after practice, acknowledging he took every snap with the first team. "I ain't going to lie, but I just need to go out there and practice every day. I want to stay humble. I'm happy about it. I just want to stay humble and keep working at it."

The move has been in the works since the Steelers' coaching staff was blown away by Pouncey's first two practices of training camp July 31. It was after that day they began to re-think their intention of letting Pouncey compete to start at right guard as a rookie, rather than compete with veteran Justin Hartwig at center.

"Maurkice Pouncey has done a nice job with every opportunity we have given him thus far," Tomlin said after practice. "We continue to give him more opportunities. We recognize that Jamal Williams, who plays nose guard for the Denver Broncos, is a perennial Pro Bowl-caliber player. It's going to be an awesome opportunity to measure where he is against a guy that caliber. That's what it's all about more than anything else."

With a center, man, you can't teach that," Hampton said. "If you got that, it helps a whole lot. That's the downfall of a lot of centers, getting beat quick, because guys are so close on you. But he's so athletic, he recovers and stays on his feet. That's the other thing about him, he's hardly ever on the ground."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10238/1082784-66.stm

steeldevil
08-26-2010, 09:38 AM
If the coaches think hs is ready for it,then put him in. I agree that Hartwig should be shopped and not just cut.

SteelGhost
08-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Great news ! Congrats Maurkice !!

Psycho Ward 86
08-26-2010, 10:20 AM
Atta boy Pouncey.

As a center for the Pittsburgh Steelers, you've got some big shoes to fill, and you're filling them pretty well so far!

vasteeler
08-26-2010, 10:25 AM
whens the last time we had a rookie line man start?

Devilsdancefloor
08-26-2010, 10:30 AM
Good news indeed, now if we can get legursky or urbik at RG id be happy as a pig in mud

Killer
08-26-2010, 10:46 AM

Never at center - I know that. All the greats we had played back-up for at least a year. The last rookie we had start on offense was Heath Miller.

Is this a contest? What do I win?

MULLDOG24
08-26-2010, 11:20 AM
Colbert said that Pouncey was to good to pass up on in the draft and we know why! Great job Pouncey!!!!

Shoes
08-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Colbert said that Pouncey was to good to pass up on in the draft and we know why! Great job Pouncey!!!!

Bu, Bu, Golden Tate.....:chuckle:

.........And once again the front office has shown that they know more about football than the fan's on a football forum.

xX-TSK-Xx
08-26-2010, 12:24 PM

Ramon Foster started four games for us last season. He was a rookie.

Craic
08-26-2010, 12:35 PM
:applaudit:FINALLY!!!!!

Maybe now we can continue our tradition of Long duration-probowl level centers! I am quite anxious to see how he fairs this Sunday. Until then however, it is still hype... though not ALL hype at this point!:bananalama:

SteelMember
08-26-2010, 12:47 PM
well in hartwig's defense he may have been quiet because he knows the end is near. he isn't getting any younger. i think every player is bothered when they get benched or on the verge of being cut.

you are right, i think he could play RG. center may be just too much for him now, but we will have to see how pouncey does this weekend. pouncey stills needs to get stronger. i wonder how he will do against the ravens' ngata.

Good observation on Hartwig, and if I remember correctly, it was a rookie that pushed him out of Carolina. So, ya... he's upset... again. He may want to be a starter, but being a backup looks to be what his future holds if he wants to continue playing professionally.

Ok. the stains pulled the carpet out from under us last year taking Alex Mack. He didn't even play center last year. So don't try to come in here and give the poo poo to Pouncey. Besides, your house has plenty of glass windows. Know what I'm sayin' brownie? :wink02: :chuckle:

pepsyman1
08-26-2010, 12:49 PM
This is fantastic news! :yay3: :applaudit: Pouncey has been soooo impressive and has earned the starting C slot imho. I never was impressed with Hartwig and though, like all former Steelers, I appreciate his contributions to the team, I won't be sorry to see him go. :wave:

I have to agree with assessment of Hartwig. With the legendary history our team has had over the years at center (Mansfield, Webster, Dawson)...even Hartings was a strong player, we definitely needed a more powerful presence at center and Pouncey appears to be the real deal.

7willBheaven
08-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Ok. the stains pulled the carpet out from under us last year taking Alex Mack. He didn't even play center last year. So don't try to come in here and give the poo poo to Pouncey. Besides, your house has plenty of glass windows. Know what I'm sayin' brownie? :wink02: :chuckle:

Actually Mack did play center last year...they moved Hank Fraley (the old C) to RG.

7willBheaven
08-26-2010, 01:14 PM

As far as a full time starter (since Foster just did spot duty a few games when Kemo was down)...that would be RG Kendall Simmons when they drafted him in the 1st round of 02.

SteelMember
08-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Actually Mack did play center last year...they moved Hank Fraley (the old C) to RG.

You're right. I mixed him up with Woods(BUF)... the other center we looked at. Oh well. It doesn't change my sentiment.

7willBheaven
08-26-2010, 01:53 PM
You're right. I mixed him up with Woods(BUF)... the other center we looked at. Oh well. It doesn't change my sentiment.

Yep...your right on that one...wonder if they're giving the kid a chance at C this year or not...or will he be a permanent G (and maybe BU C)...i dont it dont matter to us...but im just curious, haha.

vasteeler
08-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Never at center - I know that. All the greats we had played back-up for at least a year. The last rookie we had start on offense was Heath Miller.

a lap dance from our very own........tim lumber

BuddhaBus
08-26-2010, 03:17 PM
a lap dance from our very own........tim lumber

Except he does his face first! But,alas, I feel we may have seen the last of our village idiot.

Killer
08-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Bow down bitches.

I am your true God, yea verily, the one with the Troy's knee sacrifices going on every Friday, with a fish fry.

Never forget - - - who's your daddy?

Indo
08-26-2010, 04:59 PM
:hail:

fansince'76
08-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Bow down bitches.

I am your true God, yea verily, the one with the Troy's knee sacrifices going on every Friday, with a fish fry.

Never forget - - - who's your daddy?

I second that! :hail:

solardave
08-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Very good news, but don't think there wont be some growing pains when the games start to count.

I still see Hartwig getting pancaked in the SB against Arizona. Pouncey growing pains and all is an upgrade.

43Hitman
08-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Not to toot my own horn(well yeah I kinda am), but I was very high on Pouncey and I was elated when we drafted him. Hell, maybe we get his brother this year. Doesn't he play guard?

I couldn't be happier with the way Pouncey has done in camp thus far. I knew he was good, just didn't know he was good enough to start his first year at center, guard maybe, but not center. Go Steelers!

Chidi29
08-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Good observation on Hartwig, and if I remember correctly, it was a rookie that pushed him out of Carolina. So, ya... he's upset... again. He may want to be a starter, but being a backup looks to be what his future holds if he wants to continue playing professionally.

You are correct. Ryan Kali was the demise of Hartwig with Carolina.

steelatl
08-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Not to toot my own horn(well yeah I kinda am), but I was very high on Pouncey and I was elated when we drafted him. Hell, maybe we get his brother this year. Doesn't he play guard?

I couldn't be happier with the way Pouncey has done in camp thus far. I knew he was good, just didn't know he was good enough to start his first year at center, guard maybe, but not center. Go Steelers!

I think his brother has been converted to center this season.

Killer
08-26-2010, 05:47 PM

second that!

Just checking

Make me MOD for a day and I'll clean out this ratnest of trolls

Yeah - we know who you are - - I have The List

I hath spoken

O'Malley
08-26-2010, 05:53 PM
:troll::monkey::drink:

SMR
08-26-2010, 05:56 PM
I.AM.TOTALLY.STOKED.

tube517
08-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Kendall Simmons started at RG in 2002 as a rookie.
Ramon Foster last year at LG

Killer
08-26-2010, 06:12 PM
You win.

I'll buy the beer - but it won't be cheap - - - I pay my debts

that's how I roll

rock on

Bluecoat96
08-26-2010, 08:35 PM
Scouts Inc. on Pouncey's move to center (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/16497/scouts-inc-on-pounceys-move-to-center)

Less than three weeks before the start of the regular season, the Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) are making significant changes on the offensive line.

This week first-round pick Maurkice Pouncey (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=13250) was promoted to first-team center (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10238/1082784-66.stm) after spending most of the spring and training camp at right guard. Although the move isn't shocking -- center is Pouncey's natural position -- this will have an impact on Pittsburgh's entire offensive line.

It's clear this move benefits Pouncey. But will it improve the Steelers' offensive line?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/16497/scouts-inc-on-pounceys-move-to-center

Killer
08-26-2010, 08:47 PM
But will it improve the Steelers' offensive line?

Does the......

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050308031016/uncyclopedia/images/4/49/Popewoods.jpg

BuddhaBus
08-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Does the......

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050308031016/uncyclopedia/images/4/49/Popewoods.jpg

:rofl: That's fuggin' great!

SteelerFanInStl
08-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Good news! See ya Hartwig!!!

steelerdude15
08-26-2010, 11:41 PM
YES! YES! YES! :hail: :hail: :tt02:

JayC
08-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Pouncey will make me forget about Jeff Hartings retiring

Galax Steeler
08-27-2010, 03:42 AM
Hopefully Pouncey will help the quarterback from getting killed up the middle this year.