PDA

View Full Version : Steelers extend Ben

one side only
03-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Details to follow on Steelers official site.

polamalubeast
03-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Very Happy!

st33lersguy
03-13-2015, 02:52 PM
Hooray!

salamander
03-13-2015, 02:53 PM
Just got the text notification from the Steelers. Excellent!

stillers4me
03-13-2015, 02:58 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/Church%20faint_zpssadkb92c.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sueincinci/media/Church%20faint_zpssadkb92c.jpg.html)

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Dwinsgames
03-13-2015, 02:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000478902/article/steelers-ben-roethlisberger-agree-on-new-deal

Edman
03-13-2015, 03:02 PM
Ben is staying. That's good.

Can't complain anymore. He had a fantastic season last year.

stillers4me
03-13-2015, 03:03 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAALcSCU8AE3Y3P.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Eat it, haters. :lol:

SteelMember
03-13-2015, 03:04 PM
Good news, indeed.

tube517
03-13-2015, 03:08 PM
For Ian Rapashit:

:flipoff::flipoff::flipoff::upyours::upyours::upyo urs:

stillers4me
03-13-2015, 03:17 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CAAN-D8W4AA1EaL.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I never had any doubt this was going to happen.

polamalubeast
03-13-2015, 03:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1T5xSMlTYA

steelreserve
03-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Good news, but there was probably a greater chance that the earth would crash into the sun than we didn't get this deal done, so it's not entirely unexpected.

Will be interesting to see how much it's for.

I don't like the backload (didn't we learn anything? And didn't Ben, for that matter? It probably cost him $10M in net earnings by not being able to redo his contract last season.)

Also not real smart to wait until we're in the dregs of free agency before we free up cap space with a funny-money backload. Kinds of the worst of both worlds there, eh champ?

I really think someone needs to go into Colbert and Khan's office and just start kicking both of them in the head.

ALLD
03-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Big Ben signs!

Polamalu Princess
03-13-2015, 04:14 PM
Very happy!!!!

Steelman
03-13-2015, 04:17 PM
Glad to hear something good this offseason!

stillers4me
03-13-2015, 04:24 PM
The Big Guy dressed up for the occasion! (Ashley=MVP)

https://scontent-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/s851x315/11026052_10153226371354905_4993971851925138918_n.j pg?oh=31d9209187b02b8edb8b888bf6547de3&oe=55741B96

86WARD
03-13-2015, 04:48 PM
This isn't another trick thread is it?

SteelerFanInStl
03-13-2015, 06:03 PM
Good to see the deal get done. Grats Ben, you deserve it!

zulater
03-13-2015, 06:19 PM
Good news, but there was probably a greater chance that the earth would crash into the sun than we didn't get this deal done, so it's not entirely unexpected.

Will be interesting to see how much it's for.

I don't like the backload (didn't we learn anything? And didn't Ben, for that matter? It probably cost him $10M in net earnings by not being able to redo his contract last season.)

Also not real smart to wait until we're in the dregs of free agency before we free up cap space with a funny-money backload. Kinds of the worst of both worlds there, eh champ?

I really think someone needs to go into Colbert and Khan's office and just start kicking both of them in the head.

I don't mind the backload. Because at the end of this contract when Ben no longer can play we're probably looking at a couple shitty years anyway.

fansince'76
03-13-2015, 06:37 PM
I don't mind the backload. Because at the end of this contract when Ben no longer can play we're probably looking at a couple shitty years anyway.

I don't think we're going to see another 5-year stretch with a flat salary cap like 2009-13 either. That killed us as much as anything else.

polamalubeast
03-13-2015, 06:40 PM
I don't think we're going to see another 5-year stretch with a flat salary cap like 2009-13 either. That killed us as much as anything else.

I hope the steelers have learned from their mistake!

fansince'76
03-13-2015, 06:42 PM
I hope the steelers have learned from their mistake!

Things wouldn't have been nearly as bad during that period if the salary cap had actually increased. The salary cap in 2009 was $123 million. In 2013, it was $123 million. That hurts.

Devilsdancefloor
03-13-2015, 07:40 PM
now go trade for K Lewis and my week will be made

Steelerette
03-13-2015, 07:40 PM
Things wouldn't have been nearly as bad during that period if the salary cap had actually increased. The salary cap in 2009 was $123 million. In 2013, it was $123 million. That hurts.

It hurt other teams too though. The ones who benefitted were the ones who weren't happen to be banking on 2011-13 as their "big money open window" ~ then again if the league would not have the habit of extending the cap to the last dollar possible and keeping some holdings back to provide predictability and stability instead... that might be too hard for Goodell though.

fansince'76
03-13-2015, 07:42 PM
It hurt other teams too though. The ones who benefitted were the ones who weren't happen to be banking on 2011-13 as their "big money open window" ~ then again if the league would not have the habit of extending the cap to the last dollar possible and keeping some holdings back to provide predictability and stability instead... that might be too hard for Goodell though.

And of course there was the Woodley contract...

Our FO was certainly not without culpability - they should have been prepared for any contingency with the new CBA looming and they most certainly weren't.

Steelerette
03-13-2015, 07:54 PM
Yeah, Ben's extension backload won't even be that bad considering the freedom from Woodley's bum deal next season. Hopefully a decent chunk of it is slotted for 2016 to take advantage of that.

Jaucer
03-13-2015, 10:11 PM
You all are talking about a backloaded deal. I have not seen anything about the contract details. So how does anyone even know it is a backloaded deal? You all are as bad as the media, making assumptions where they shouldn't be made. Post a link to the contract details and them maybe I'll change my mind.

Steelerette
03-13-2015, 10:24 PM
You all are talking about a backloaded deal. I have not seen anything about the contract details. So how does anyone even know it is a backloaded deal? You all are as bad as the media, making assumptions where they shouldn't be made. Post a link to the contract details and them maybe I'll change my mind.The premise of the assumption is that Ben was only scheduled to hit us for 11.6 + 6.8 this season, and if this deal is supposedly saving us money on this year's cap, there's almost certainly a backload on the restructured bonus. Especially given the generally expected gradual rise in salary cap.

And what I was specifically saying about it was that, next year is a massive load off our shoulders with the Woodley deal expiring and I hope we take advantage of that to do some of Ben's "getting paid" then instead of later.

X-Terminator
03-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Come on now, who really thought this wasn't going to happen? Even Ian Makeupareport couldn't have really believed that this wasn't going to happen.

I hope they gave him a blank check and had him fill in the amount. He's earned it, after all he's given to this team.

polamalubeast
03-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 5m 5 minutes ago
The #Steelers signed QB Ben Roethlisberger to a 5-year deal worth $99M that can escalate to $108M, source said. Big-time deal.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/576738407256190978

tube517
03-14-2015, 09:05 AM
This was retweeted by Steelers Depot about that Jackhole, Rapafart's "reporting" in 2013......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMblZcnsjlU :rofl2:

Lady Steel
03-14-2015, 08:02 PM
Come on now, who really thought this wasn't going to happen?

There were actually a lot of dumbasses out there who thought Ben would be traded. Maybe not on this board, but on others, yeah. Those know-it-alls (not!) should have kept their yaps shut for a change and tried listening to what Ben and the Steelers were saying all along.

I was thrilled when I heard this was finally a done deal. Congratulations, Ben! Let's go win #7! :tt02:

86WARD
03-14-2015, 11:10 PM
Just read that Ben gets a record $65M in 1st 3yrs of deal. Only freed up $1M in cap space.

Top QB earnings over 1st 3 yrs of their new contracts: Big Ben - $65M Ryan - $63M Rodgers - $62.5M Flacco - $62M Brees - $61M

Top fully guaranteed for QBS at time of signing: Roethlisberger - $60.75M Brees - $60.15M Ryan - $59M Rodgers - $54M Flacco - $51M

Avg/yr marks for QBS updated after Ben's deal: Rodgers - $22M Roethlisberger - $21.9M Ryan - $20.75M Flacco- $20.1M Brees - $20M

Butch
03-15-2015, 08:47 AM
I have always been a big fan of Ben, from the day he took over for Tommy Gun and damn near brought us back in that game. I also remember him bringing us back late against the cowboys and that is when I knew we had someone truly special. The fact that his only loss that year was to a team that cheated speaks volumes and he still doesn't get the credit he deserves for all that he did in only his rookie year. Did he have a good team? Yes, but they were still only a good team that was not great until he came along.

We were lucky to get Ben, and I have always said "I would rather be lucky than good".

The year we beat the cardinals in the Superbowl was a very good year as well. Throughout the year we would be behind late in the game and Ben would always find a way to bring us back. I remember in the superbowl when fitz scored and I was thinking "Damn", but then I looked at the time on the clock and I looked over at my son and said "look at the time left...we got this". Ben had been bringing us back all year long how fitting that he had to do it in the superbowl. I would argue he was just as much the MVP as Santonio, and I would put James in that group as well.

Yep he may not be what others call "Elite", but I wouldn't have wanted any other QB than Ben. FWIW I think he is "Elite" just not in the way most would be willing to think of it.

I am glad he is signed to a nice contract, and I am looking forward to what is to come.

stillers4me
03-15-2015, 09:23 AM
I'm just grateful to both sides for getting this done early. We didn't need this dragging on all summer into training camp.

86WARD
03-15-2015, 12:58 PM
I have always been a big fan of Ben, from the day he took over for Tommy Gun and damn near brought us back in that game. I also remember him bringing us back late against the cowboys and that is when I knew we had someone truly special. The fact that his only loss that year was to a team that cheated speaks volumes and he still doesn't get the credit he deserves for all that he did in only his rookie year. Did he have a good team? Yes, but they were still only a good team that was not great until he came along.

We were lucky to get Ben, and I have always said "I would rather be lucky than good".

The year we beat the cardinals in the Superbowl was a very good year as well. Throughout the year we would be behind late in the game and Ben would always find a way to bring us back. I remember in the superbowl when fitz scored and I was thinking "Damn", but then I looked at the time on the clock and I looked over at my son and said "look at the time left...we got this". Ben had been bringing us back all year long how fitting that he had to do it in the superbowl. I would argue he was just as much the MVP as Santonio, and I would put James in that group as well.

Yep he may not be what others call "Elite", but I wouldn't have wanted any other QB than Ben. FWIW I think he is "Elite" just not in the way most would be willing to think of it.

I am glad he is signed to a nice contract, and I am looking forward to what is to come.

He's Elite...but he doesn't get the hype that comes with an elite QB, so he gets over looked on a frequent basis. He's a Top-4 QB in this league...in a group with Rodgers, Brady, Brees. At this stage, physically, I think he's better than Peyton. He's far and away better than the newcomers at this time. Luck and Wilson have nothing on him. He's better than his fellow draft QBs...

I laugh when people said Wilson and Luck are better...they weren't. Not at this time.

Mojouw
03-15-2015, 01:09 PM
Having Ben play his rugged and improvisational style behind some rather poor offensive lines and skill position players who (at least collectively) were not always that great is what allowed the Steelers to field basically a Pro Bowl team on the other side of the ball. While other QBs put up better raw #'s then Ben, trade places and see what happens.

I argue that no other QB from Ben's draft class would have had the success he has had with the Steelers given the same circumstances. In terms of other "elite" QBs, maybe on Rogers and Luck. Both seem to have the toughness, and flexibility to improvise that has been necessary for Ben to win as often as he has up to this point.

Now that he has the best offensive line and best skill players (collectively) than at any other point of his career, be interesting to see if we get a 2-4 year run where Ben puts up #'s on par with the other elite guys. He certainly did last year.

Combine that run (assuming it nets another Lombardi) with the run he had earlier in his career - winning with two different styles? Then your looking at one of the best QBs of his generation. Ben is the closest thing the league has had to Favre since Favre retired.