PDA

View Full Version : Jason Worilds Is Reportedly Retiring

Lady Steel
03-10-2015, 11:31 PM

Steelman
03-10-2015, 11:34 PM
Wow. Talk about a weird couple of days in the NFL.

Dwinsgames
03-10-2015, 11:39 PM
couldn't get the BIG bucks so taking his balls and going home ... again proving it was and always has been all about the money for Jason

Mojouw
03-10-2015, 11:41 PM
His Wikipedia page claims some dude named "incarcerated bob" was going to break that Worilds is in deep to NJ gamblers.

Makes sense that his tweets allude to his faith despite what we may hear.

Maybe the mob was gonna wack him?

Lady Steel
03-10-2015, 11:42 PM

Lady Steel
03-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Ex-Steelers LB Jason Worilds shockingly retiring

A third unexpected retirement announcement in the last 24 hours makes for the perfect ending to one of the craziest days (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000477999/article/what-we-learned-13-takeaways-on-historic-day) in NFL offseason history.

Free agent pass rusher Jason Worilds (http://www.nfl.com/player/jasonworilds/496887/profile) released a statement through his player representative, Jason Bernstein, declaring the former Pittsburgh Steelers (http://www.nfl.com/teams/pittsburghsteelers/profile?team=PIT) linebacker's intention to walk away from football.

"I appreciate all of the interest from the organizations that have reached out to us the past few days," the statement reads. "With that being said, after much thought & consideration I have chosen to step away from football as I have opted to pursue other interests.

I am especially grateful of the opportunity to play before some of the greatest fans in football today. Despite any concern and speculation that may ensue, I appreciate those that are respectful of my decision."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000478005/article/exsteelers-lb-jason-worilds-shockingly-retiring?campaign=Twitter_atn_wesseling

Devilsdancefloor
03-10-2015, 11:50 PM
couldn't get the BIG bucks so taking his balls and going home ... again proving it was and always has been all about the money for Jason

yup probably will get maybe half of what he though so time to go home. this is james harrison come on down!!

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2015, 12:08 AM

Wow. Now THAT is just uncalled for and short sighted. First of all, Worilds would be doing himself and his family a disservice by not at least listening to offers. The NFL career is generally a short one, and a pinnacle of athleticism that only one in a million worked hard enough to even reach, let alone have some success. Second, let the man have a religious epiphany if he so chooses. None of us even know how he reached that conclusion. If Worilds got lowballed and didnt care, he would still be making millions each year. But he chose no anyways, and don't act like 99% of people wouldn 't keep playing. The whole "Oh my God he's asking for a ton of money, clearly he's a jerk" narrative gets old really fast. It's also hilarious because that narrative usually only comes up because a player is being inconvenient to a fan's team. So who's really the selfish one :). Why wouldnt someone capitalize on a high salary opportunity for their job? And lastly, come on folks. Some people are going to look at this and act like Worilds just threw around bitchy whine fest and created a media circus before retiring. He has been a well behaved fella for us who produced at a level he was generally expected to (remember, we reached for him as many considered him a 4th round pick).

Good luck to you in your journey Jason. Life is bigger than football. God bless.

(Assuming this news is all true)

Lady Steel
03-11-2015, 12:18 AM

:lol:

Merchant
03-11-2015, 12:27 AM
WTF is going on in the NFL these past few days!? It's a circus out there.

....I love it.

katmandu
03-11-2015, 12:38 AM
WOW!!! JUST......WOW !!!

steelreserve
03-11-2015, 12:53 AM
Well, a fittingly weird end to that little saga. Probably best for the team that any chance of bringing him back has ended. Good luck, dude?

btw, Incarcerated Bob is a guy who runs a sports rumor/gambling site. I have no idea how credible it is.

Dwinsgames
03-11-2015, 01:41 AM
Wow. Now THAT is just uncalled for and short sighted. First of all, Worilds would be doing himself and his family a disservice by not at least listening to offers. The NFL career is generally a short one, and a pinnacle of athleticism that only one in a million worked hard enough to even reach, let alone have some success. Second, let the man have a religious epiphany if he so chooses. None of us even know how he reached that conclusion. If Worilds got lowballed and didnt care, he would still be making millions each year. But he chose no anyways, and don't act like 99% of people wouldn 't keep playing. The whole "Oh my God he's asking for a ton of money, clearly he's a jerk" narrative gets old really fast. It's also hilarious because that narrative usually only comes up because a player is being inconvenient to a fan's team. So who's really the selfish one :). Why wouldnt someone capitalize on a high salary opportunity for their job? And lastly, come on folks. Some people are going to look at this and act like Worilds just threw around bitchy whine fest and created a media circus before retiring. He has been a well behaved fella for us who produced at a level he was generally expected to (remember, we reached for him as many considered him a 4th round pick).

Good luck to you in your journey Jason. Life is bigger than football. God bless.

(Assuming this news is all true)

see post below the one I quoted in reference to the " spiritual awakening "

venom
03-11-2015, 04:11 AM
Nice to retire at 27 - wow

86WARD
03-11-2015, 04:34 AM
First,,can never blame a player for accepting the money...if any of us could ask for more money in our jobs every couple few years we would. I'll never fault a player for asking, I may think they are a little crazy, but if they get what hey are asking for, it's the teams fault,,,not the player,

Secondly, good for him retiring at 27. Hopefully, he's got some good plans ahead...

Lastly, good for the Steelers...now,,hopefully, there's no chance he'll be back. By the way he played last season, you could tell he wasn't "all-in."

fansince'76
03-11-2015, 04:52 AM
Wow. Now THAT is just uncalled for and short sighted.

It's cynicism that comes with age and having been around the block a few times. Maybe he did have some sort of spiritual epiphany, but, like Dwins, I also seriously doubt it.

First of all, Worilds would be doing himself and his family a disservice by not at least listening to offers.

He did. And the Giants and Steelers at the very least let him know he isn't worth anywhere near what he thought he was. Think he would have announced that he's retiring had someone actually been dumb enough to offer him $11 million per? I don't. I wish him the best of luck and all, but if he's anything like the typical NFL player (i.e., continuing to live large after the huge paychecks have stopped rolling in), I'm guessing he'll be back in a year or two begging for a job when things start to get tight on the financial front.

steelreserve
03-11-2015, 05:08 AM
First,,can never blame a player for accepting the money...if any of us could ask for more money in our jobs every couple few years we would. I'll never fault a player for asking, I may think they are a little crazy, but if they get what hey are asking for, it's the teams fault,,,not the player,

I can blame him ... if I sucked at my job, I wouldn't feel good asking for more money. Maybe I'd quit instead and look for something else to do. At least he got that right.

stillers4me
03-11-2015, 05:46 AM

fansince'76
03-11-2015, 05:54 AM

Dang, we miss out on a box of Cracker Jacks, because that's probably about what it would have been worth.

86WARD
03-11-2015, 07:05 AM
I can blame him ... if I sucked at my job, I wouldn't feel good asking for more money. Maybe I'd quit instead and look for something else to do. At least he got that right.

Lol. If I sucked, I'd still ask for more and if they were dumb enough to pay...good for me...

tube517
03-11-2015, 07:06 AM
Dang, we miss out on a box of Cracker Jacks, because that's probably about what it would have been worth.

Arizona loves Cracker Jacks

86WARD
03-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Steelers probably would've gotten a 2016 third round, maybe fourth round pick for him had he left and signed elsewhere...right?

st33lersguy
03-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Who would have expected Worilds to retire before Polamalu, Keisel, Taylor, Harrison.

Lady Steel
03-11-2015, 10:24 AM
Worilds retires from NFL

LB Jason Worilds surprised many with his decision to retire.

It’s not often an NFL player retires in what could be considered the prime of his career, but linebacker Jason Worilds did just that.

The Steelers issued a statement in regards to their former second-round draft pick, who was an unrestricted free agent.

“We respect his decision to retire and thank him for his five years in Pittsburgh. We wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Worilds-retires-from-NFL/f15dc0c4-d493-4e89-ac6c-01a448c4b0f9

steelreserve
03-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Steelers probably would've gotten a 2016 third round, maybe fourth round pick for him had he left and signed elsewhere...right?

... then the day after the start of the season, he un-retires and signs with the Patriots. Count on it. Since he retired a few hours after free agency started, we wouldn't have any claim on his rights anymore either.

86WARD
03-11-2015, 10:56 AM
So when does the Steelers draft interview process come into question? Mendenhall, early pick, retired "early." Worilds, early pick, retired "early."

steel striker
03-11-2015, 11:14 AM
All I can say is WOW!

Hawkman
03-11-2015, 11:19 AM
So when does the Steelers draft interview process come into question? Mendenhall, early pick, retired "early." Worilds, early pick, retired "early."

You're joking right?

86WARD
03-11-2015, 11:21 AM
Mmmmm...kinda but not really. I mean that's two low picks that retired early. Says something about the interview process that they aren't picking up...no?

Dwinsgames
03-11-2015, 11:30 AM
Mendy should have been easy to pick up he was on Path to the draft or some segment like that that was aired back in that time frame and he clearly said Football was not his first love and he would be ok making a living doing something else if it didnt work out , he just wanted to help his mother out for all her sacrifices blah blah blah ... that raised my eye , but clearly did not send up any ( or enough ) red flags to the Steelers front office ....

/shrug

salamander
03-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Mendy should have been easy to pick up he was on Path to the draft or some segment like that that was aired back in that time frame and he clearly said Football was not his first love and he would be ok making a living doing something else if it didnt work out , he just wanted to help his mother out for all her sacrifices blah blah blah ... that raised my eye , but clearly did not send up any ( or enough ) red flags to the Steelers front office ....

/shrug

Just one of many questionable decisions made by the current Steelers regime.

Mojouw
03-11-2015, 11:43 AM
okay. we can criticize the Steelers FO for a ton of valid things, but not properly penetrating the mental make-up of a bunch of twentysomethings? Parsing their statements is ridiculous. Think back to when you were that age -- did you have any realistic idea about what you would be doing and thinking 5-10 years later?

86WARD
03-11-2015, 11:57 AM

/shrug

But who are you? You're just some message board guy. You couldn't possibly know what you are talking about compared to the Steelers front office...they do it all right!

Dwinsgames
03-11-2015, 11:59 AM
But who are you? You're just some message board guy. You couldn't possibly know what you are talking about compared to the Steelers front office...they do it all right!

:noidea:

86WARD
03-11-2015, 12:00 PM
okay. we can criticize the Steelers FO for a ton of valid things, but not properly penetrating the mental make-up of a bunch of twentysomethings? Parsing their statements is ridiculous. Think back to when you were that age -- did you have any realistic idea about what you would be doing and thinking 5-10 years later?

It's hard to say unless you know the questions that were asked and the answers that were given. I just think it's a little odd that two low draft picks retired early...not to mention pretty much two draft classes are out of the league...

I was asking the question jokingly at first, but it is a bit odd...

steelreserve
03-11-2015, 12:29 PM
It's a real stretch to say they should've seen it coming when players take a "detour" like this. Out of 53 guys on your team, a couple of them are bound to be a little wobbly. Once in a while, they make weird decisions. Sometimes they stab.

As I said before, it's a fitting end for him. I went "WTF?" when they drafted him, and "WTF?" when he retired. And a lot of times in between. Probably his best contribution was that he gave a good excuse to use the term "tranny tag" for the first time since Jeff Reed.

smokin3000gt
03-11-2015, 12:41 PM
Well his work ethic wasn't a surprise to anyone. This just proves the guy is a lazy bum. I'm glad we found out now rather than later.

ALLD
03-11-2015, 02:37 PM
At least he didn't murder anybody, but there is some smoke there about something.

Iron Steeler
03-11-2015, 03:33 PM
Well I guess we're gonna save money then ?