PDA

View Full Version : Giants Think Steelers LB Jason Worilds Is Asking For Too Much Money

polamalubeast
03-10-2015, 01:46 PM
Jason Worilds has clear idea what he wants. Both Steelers, Giants think that price too high. Told: "We're not paying $1 million per sack."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03/report-giants-think-steelers-lb-jason-worilds-is-asking-for-too-much-money/

Steelerette
03-10-2015, 02:08 PM
To be completely honest I would start Jarvis Jones and Arthur Moats over Worilds. I hope we don't touch him unless it's at a backup's salary, and even then, why bother - sign James and let's see what HoJo can do. Bye Jason.

Pappy
03-10-2015, 02:28 PM
To be completely honest I would start Jarvis Jones and Arthur Moats over Worilds. I hope we don't touch him unless it's at a backup's salary, and even then, why bother - sign James and let's see what HoJo can do. Bye Jason.
Worilds definitely not worth the money, but he's still better than Jones. I think Jones was a big mistake. A really big mistake!

Steelerette
03-10-2015, 02:37 PM
I think Jones was a big mistake. A really big mistake!I don't understand where the basis for this sentiment comes from. He played only situationally his first season as you would expect from a rookie defender in a LeBeau system. He had a very promising start to 2014 before missing the rest of the season injured. By the way, he got injured -- while forcing a fumble.

Mojouw
03-10-2015, 03:12 PM
It comes from the fact that Jones is relatively slow as high end edge rushers go. He does not convert his speed to power when directly challenging blockers. He is not really all that powerful in any respect. He has about one pass rush "move" - cut across the blockers face at the snap and hope his first step is good enough to let him slip by. He does not really set the edge well against the run. He looks lost and confused with his initial steps in pursuit and playing in space.

Jones clearly has a high motor, appears to be coachable and a hard worker, but he - up to this point in his career - looks like a player who has hit the ceiling of his ability and performance in college. When the competition level stepped up in the NFL, Jones has nothing else to offer. At this point the best that can be hoped for is that he is good in coverage and can get pressure via scheme. It does not appear he will ever be an OLB that can generate pressure on his own by consistently winning his individual match-up.

I could be wrong. Jones may yet make the "leap" and become an edge rusher worth a 1st round pick. But his college stats are way better than his tape. He got production via being moved around on a great defense and often came through unblocked or was able to simply run around his blocker.

smokin3000gt
03-10-2015, 03:42 PM
Burn another one, Jason!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Jason-Worilds-Headshot-600x400.png

Steeldude
03-10-2015, 04:57 PM
ROLB - Harrison

LOLB - Moats

Backups - Jones, H. Jones, quality draft pick, veteran addition.

one side only
03-10-2015, 07:00 PM
ROLB - Harrison

LOLB - Moats

Backups - Jones, H. Jones, quality draft pick, veteran addition.

That scenario has almost no chance of happening. If Harrison is signed, it will be as a back up. He would start only in case of injury. J. Jones is the starter at ROLB. H. Jones is no sure thing to make the roster. I think Sean Lemon has a better chance than H. Jones. I also think they only keep 4 outside linebackers.

Mojouw
03-10-2015, 11:32 PM
According to Twitter, Worilds is retiring. If that is true, I retract my statement that Worilds will have more sacks than Harrison in 2015. Also, to all those that questioned his heart and desire, I think retirement speaks for itself.

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2015, 12:14 AM
According to Twitter, Worilds is retiring. If that is true, I retract my statement that Worilds will have more sacks than Harrison in 2015. Also, to all those that questioned his heart and desire, I think retirement speaks for itself.

I don't think that's a fair statement. Plenty of players regularly contemplate retirement/comeback and still excel during that time like Peyton Manning, Marshawn Lynch, Brett Favre, James Harrison, etc.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Yeah yeah yeah, before someone says jason worilds is no peyton manning, thank you Captain Obvious, you may now assume command of the U.S.S No Fucking Shit. Im talking more about the quality of the player's play before contemplation and during than the actual caliber of the player. People forget Jason Worilds was only supposed to be a 4th round pick. Its like when people give DHB shit for being a 1st rounder, like damn people, he cant help it if Al Davis goes full retard

(Sorry if that sounds rant like, not directed towards you at all Mojouw)

Mojouw
03-11-2015, 07:49 AM
I don't think that's a fair statement. Plenty of players regularly contemplate retirement/comeback and still excel during that time like Peyton Manning, Marshawn Lynch, Brett Favre, James Harrison, etc.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Yeah yeah yeah, before someone says jason worilds is no peyton manning, thank you Captain Obvious, you may now assume command of the U.S.S No Fucking Shit. Im talking more about the quality of the player's play before contemplation and during than the actual caliber of the player. People forget Jason Worilds was only supposed to be a 4th round pick. Its like when people give DHB shit for being a 1st rounder, like damn people, he cant help it if Al Davis goes full retard

(Sorry if that sounds rant like, not directed towards you at all Mojouw)

No worries. In the light of day, I am less snarky about Worild's retirement. Honestly, if he has enough cash that he and his family can be set for life and he can retire from a violent and by all accounts tedious and exhausting profession at 27, good for him.

I actually know nothing about Worilds as a person, and perhaps this fits. Maybe he is one of those serious and contemplative dudes who just happened to play professional sports.

LLT
03-11-2015, 07:54 AM

Not unpresedented.....Robert Smith with the Vikings retired young to pursue things more "eternal" than football.

Mojouw
03-11-2015, 11:46 AM
Not unpresedented.....Robert Smith with the Vikings retired young to pursue things more "eternal" than football.

Yeah. I was feeling a bit grumpy last night and, like I said, in the light of day -- totally unfair to call Worilds heart and desire into question. Just because someone chooses other things in life over football - doesn't mean they aren't full of dedication and effort. They may simply no longer want to focus that dedication and desire into professional football.

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Glen Coffee who was with the 49ers a while back also comes to mind

Steeldude
03-11-2015, 03:35 PM
That scenario has almost no chance of happening. If Harrison is signed, it will be as a back up. He would start only in case of injury. J. Jones is the starter at ROLB. H. Jones is no sure thing to make the roster. I think Sean Lemon has a better chance than H. Jones. I also think they only keep 4 outside linebackers.

Jones should be on the bench where he belongs. Unless the Steelers do their moronic "You are the starter because you were drafted in the first, not because of ability". Jones getting hurt last hear was a blessing for the defense.

Why bench the only OLB(Harrison)? J. Jones can compete with Moats for the LOLB spot.

I agree, they will probably only keep 4 maybe 5 OLBs.

86WARD
03-11-2015, 05:10 PM
They may not have 4-5 on the roster...lol.

Psycho Ward 86
03-11-2015, 08:26 PM
didnt we convert Jordan Zumwalt from ILB to OLB? Hope he's hauling ass at his craft. Its looking like we're going to need some luck at OLB to see some serious success

Steeldude
03-11-2015, 10:41 PM
didnt we convert Jordan Zumwalt from ILB to OLB? Hope he's hauling ass at his craft. Its looking like we're going to need some luck at OLB to see some serious success

They are going to play him at ILB. That is a better fit for him, IMO.