PDA

View Full Version : Former Agent Believes Steelers LB Worilds Should Command $53.75 Million Over 5 years

polamalubeast
03-07-2015, 12:32 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03/former-agent-believes-steelers-lb-jason-worilds-should-command-53-75-million-over-5-years/

fansince'76
03-07-2015, 12:34 PM
Hasta la vista, Worilds...

X-Terminator
03-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Well, he can go and find some other sucker to pay him that contract, because he will not be getting that from the Steelers. Nor should he. He's done nothing to earn that much money.

fansince'76
03-07-2015, 12:45 PM
Well, he can go and find some other sucker to pay him that contract, because he will not be getting that from the Steelers. Nor should he. He's done nothing to earn that much money.

If the guy thinks Worilds is really worth $11 million per, I can certainly see why he's a "former" agent.

polamalubeast
03-07-2015, 12:55 PM
And 27 million would be guaranteed!

If he receives this contract, it would be worse than the contract of Mike Wallace or even Lamarr Woodley...Wallace was at least very good for almost 2 years and Woodley was very productive during Three years before his big contract

Worilds was productive for only a half of season in his career

Mojouw
03-07-2015, 12:55 PM
If the guy thinks Worilds is really worth $11 million per, I can certainly see why he's a "former" agent.

It isn't about what a player is "Worth" in terms of x amount of production=y amount of contract dollars. It is what the inflated market of FA will bear. After Justin Houston, look at the unproven or washed up pass rushers on the market - at least for 3-4 formations. Derrick Morgan! Catch the fever! Akeem Ayers -- CHAMPIONSHIP!! Jerry Hughes -- one good year, best FA signing ever! Brian Orakpo tore a muscle while you read this post.

Worilds is a young player, with some proven success at rushing the passer in a 3-4 scheme. There are a great # of teams out there that are in serious need of pass rushers off the edge. All that means that Worilds would be extremely foolish to set his sights, at least initially, any lower than 11-12 million per year. Now, that is how you end up rushing the passer for some crap franchise and going 6-10 every year - but, hey, you get paid - right?

IF ( a big if - I know) the Steelers wanted to resign Worilds, they would have to hope that he would take something in 7-8 million per year range to play in a system he knows and have chance to win some games.

The Steelers pash rush is going to be terrible next season. They need a total reboot at the OLB position. Harrison can help for one more season, Jones has 16 games to prove he can actually even play at an NFL level. But they better get some young dynamic players to develop. I can't remember the last Steelers team that was set up to be this poor at rushing the passer.

ALLD
03-07-2015, 01:06 PM
He is worth $6-8 million or about 60% of his fantasy price.

fansince'76
03-07-2015, 01:28 PM
It isn't about what a player is "Worth" in terms of x amount of production=y amount of contract dollars. It is what the inflated market of FA will bear.

Sure, I understand the market. It's also why I don't freak out (like so many do) that the Steelers aren't usually major players in FA. It isn't the way to build a team. It's why I also wind up laughing at the usual hand-wringing of mostly the same people (who also seem to think that Super Bowls are won in March) when teams like the Browns try (and repeatedly fail) to build their rosters that way.

"ZOMG! The Browns are stacked now while the Steelers just sat on their hands in FA!" (If I had a nickel for every time I've heard this or something similar over the years I'd be retired by now)

Worilds is a young player, with some proven success at rushing the passer in a 3-4 scheme. There are a great # of teams out there that are in serious need of pass rushers off the edge. All that means that Worilds would be extremely foolish to set his sights, at least initially, any lower than 11-12 million per year. Now, that is how you end up rushing the passer for some crap franchise and going 6-10 every year - but, hey, you get paid - right?

And that's exactly where he'll wind up if he gets that much, because again, he simply isn't worth it.

SteelerFanInStl
03-07-2015, 01:44 PM
As long as it's some team other than the Steelers paying him that kind of money, I don't care.

He isn't worth anything close to that. Maybe half of it.

polamalubeast
03-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Sure, I understand the market. It's also why I don't freak out (like so many do) that the Steelers aren't usually major players in FA. It isn't the way to build a team. It's why I also wind up laughing at the usual hand-wringing of mostly the same people (who also seem to think that Super Bowls are won in March) when teams like the Browns try (and repeatedly fail) to build their rosters that way.

"ZOMG! The Browns are stacked now while the Steelers just sat on their hands in FA!" (If I had a nickel for every time I've heard this or something similar over the years I'd be retired by now)

Reminds you in 2011, when the Eagles signed several players in the free agents and after the eagles were called the Dream Team, but it was an big failure and Andy Reid lost his job after!

steelreserve
03-07-2015, 01:57 PM
He is worth $6-8 million or about 60% of his fantasy price.

Why is he even worth that much? Anyone who pays more than $3-$4 million for him is a sucker. He had one good half a season, and then sucked all year last year but walked into a half-dozen sacks.

Some idiot will definitely pay him more than that, just because OMG pass rusher. I wouldn't want him back at any price.

Mojouw
03-07-2015, 02:30 PM
If Erik Walden can get 4 million per year to suck for the Colts, then Worilds certainly is worth more than 3-4 million per.

st33lersguy
03-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Go sucker crazy Chip Kelly or Dumbass Dan Snyder into that contract

Count Steeler
03-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Why is he even worth that much? Anyone who pays more than $3-$4 million for him is a sucker. He had one good half a season, and then sucked all year last year but walked into a half-dozen sacks.

Some idiot will definitely pay him more than that, just because OMG pass rusher. I wouldn't want him back at any price.

Because we used him in too many pass coverage plays, don't ya know.

Bye-bye Worilds.

86WARD
03-07-2015, 07:09 PM
In a "contract year" this guy didn't produce...lol.

Dwinsgames
03-07-2015, 07:36 PM
hopefully not from us .... that deal has Mike Wallace written all over it

steelreserve
03-07-2015, 11:10 PM
If Erik Walden can get 4 million per year to suck for the Colts, then Worilds certainly is worth more than 3-4 million per.

What he is worth and what he can get are two entirely separate things. I have no doubt someone will pay him much more than that. They will be very stupid to do so.

Steelerette
03-07-2015, 11:45 PM
Let Worilds go. If I'm being honest then in my opinion by no means is Jarvis and Moats as our starting OLB setting us up for a "bad year." I'm quite optimistic about it even. Add in James Harrison for spot duty and I'm way more worried about NT and CB than I am pass rushers. Bring in one more guy and see how Howard Jones and Zumwalt work out in camp this year, and call it a day. Draft steals and free agent bargains aimed at OLB will just be gravy on top of something I'm really not too worried about.

Where I'm worried about this team is offensive tackle, nose tackle, kick returner, and cornerback.

Godfather
03-08-2015, 09:56 AM
Go sucker crazy Chip Kelly or Dumbass Dan Snyder into that contract

Beat me to it.

Mojouw
03-08-2015, 12:02 PM
I'm all for not paying Worilds crazy money. I get that he does not seem to be "Worth" 10 million per year.

What my concern is is that between the two of them Moats and Jones may just form the most underwhelming OLB duo for a 3-4 front across the league.

I may be being unfair because I hated the Jones pick when it was made, and I hate it even more now. The Steelers failed to devote a high draft pick to improving another position, and now they will likely have to double dip on OLB because Jones is not very good.

steelreserve
03-08-2015, 04:19 PM
I'm all for not paying Worilds crazy money. I get that he does not seem to be "Worth" 10 million per year.

What my concern is is that between the two of them Moats and Jones may just form the most underwhelming OLB duo for a 3-4 front across the league.

I may be being unfair because I hated the Jones pick when it was made, and I hate it even more now. The Steelers failed to devote a high draft pick to improving another position, and now they will likely have to double dip on OLB because Jones is not very good.

Moats and Jones may not be great, but I don't see what Worilds brings to the table that's an improvement over either one of them. He flat-out sucked for most of the season, and for that matter, most of his career. Paying him even a medium contract would improve the team by the same amount as taking a few million dollars and setting it on fire.

With Harrison now looking likely to come back, I don't see quite the same urgency at that position. This is a prime example of where you have a year to see if one of the guys you already have finally emerges, or if a guy who you draft in the third round looks promising. You're right, it's probably not the best idea to ignore it entirely, we need a backup plan if Jones really does suck, but I don't think it's panic time. To me at least, Jones seemed like he was on the right track last year until he had that injury, so he's still question-mark status IMO, not impending bust.

Craic
03-08-2015, 04:20 PM
It's also why I don't freak out (like so many do) that the Steelers aren't usually major players in FA. It isn't the way to build a team. It's why I also wind up laughing at the usual hand-wringing of mostly the same people (who also seem to think that Super Bowls are won in March) when teams like the Browns try (and repeatedly fail) to build their rosters that way.

Ain't that the truth.

Free agency is good for four things I can think of, and not more much than that: (1) a need in a specific position that if filled with a decent player, vastly improves your odds of winning games—this comes about mainly because you've already built a very good team, and need that last couple of players to push over the top since you've just hit your 3-5 year window of opportunity before the team starts losing people; (2) decent backups that you know can come in and carry the load for a few plays/quarters/games; (3) draft a great future class of players/need to create a new culture, so you go get guys that once were great, and have just a little left in the tank so they can help shape the newer guys (Steelers will never find themselves here because they keep certain veterans to mold younger players—the Bus, Hines Ward, Troy P., etc., all should have gone a year a year or two before they did (Bus possibly an exception, but not by much); (4) specialty positions.

Mojouw
03-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Moats and Jones may not be great, but I don't see what Worilds brings to the table that's an improvement over either one of them. He flat-out sucked for most of the season, and for that matter, most of his career. Paying him even a medium contract would improve the team by the same amount as taking a few million dollars and setting it on fire.

With Harrison now looking likely to come back, I don't see quite the same urgency at that position. This is a prime example of where you have a year to see if one of the guys you already have finally emerges, or if a guy who you draft in the third round looks promising. You're right, it's probably not the best idea to ignore it entirely, we need a backup plan if Jones really does suck, but I don't think it's panic time. To me at least, Jones seemed like he was on the right track last year until he had that injury, so he's still question-mark status IMO, not impending bust.

I definitely see what you are saying. But I can't shake a "plan for the worst, hope for the best" kinda feeling about the 2015 OLB group. Harrison can not be counted on to soak up full time starters minutes. If last year is any indication he is best deployed as a situational pass rusher and a guy who you can use more than that if he gets hot and has one of those turn back the clock moments like the Ravens game last year. Neither Moats nor Jones has demonstrated any consistent ability to beat RT's let alone LT's.

Now is any of this a real reason to throw a dump truck full of money at Jason Worilds? Of course not. But it is easy to see how his contract "value/worth" on the open market can creep up there very quickly.

Perhaps the biggest problem is that I've been spoiled as a fan with this defense for so long. Smith, Hampton, Polamalu are candidates for the best to ever play their positions. They were surrounded by some other very good talents. Looking at the current roster, I don't see anyone who looks like a candidate for a HOF career. But some of the players are still young.