PDA

View Full Version : Going Away Party for Stars shown the door and/or Retiring

katmandu
03-06-2015, 12:42 PM
Troy Polamalu to join distinguished group of Steelers given the cold shoulderYea, I know. Business is business and it IS the business of letting the greats go.

This is the number one thing I hate (and I do not use the word hate very much) about being a Steeler's fan.

It's just so damn depressing (for MOST of us) to see the great ones (and good ones) go out without and chance of US fans to show our Public appreciation.

Imagine if you will, a Public Retirement ceremony at Heinz Field showing a continuous roll of a Steeler's star's Highlight film! Have a nice ceremony attended to past players, coaches etc... giving the player a PROPER (and Professional) send off !

But no, most all are shoved out the door with their (and OURS) feelings hurt, BAD PR for the Owners/Coaches) and hard feelings that are difficult to mend.

Just think of the Moral boost this would give to Steeler Nation not to mention the butt load of cash the Rooney's would make during the whole ordeal !

One can only dream......... :Rolleyes:

Godfather
03-06-2015, 06:55 PM
Yea, I know. Business is business and it IS the business of letting the greats go.

This is the number one thing I hate (and I do not use the word hate very much) about being a Steeler's fan.

It's just so damn depressing (for MOST of us) to see the great ones (and good ones) go out without and chance of US fans to show our Public appreciation.

Imagine if you will, a Public Retirement ceremony at Heinz Field showing a continuous roll of a Steeler's star's Highlight film! Have a nice ceremony attended to past players, coaches etc... giving the player a PROPER (and Professional) send off !

But no, most all are shoved out the door with their (and OURS) feelings hurt, BAD PR for the Owners/Coaches) and hard feelings that are difficult to mend.

Just think of the Moral boost this would give to Steeler Nation not to mention the butt load of cash the Rooney's would make during the whole ordeal !

One can only dream......... :Rolleyes:

Problem is most of the greats don't plan out a farewell tour. Two of the reasons they're great is that they're too competitive to give up, and they're more about the team than themselves. Both of those make it hard for a player to decide in advance that he's on the way out after the season.

So that forces management to tell the player "It's over", and there's no good way to do that.

katmandu
03-06-2015, 10:18 PM
Problem is most of the greats don't plan out a farewell tour. Two of the reasons they're great is that they're too competitive to give up, and they're more about the team than themselves. Both of those make it hard for a player to decide in advance that he's on the way out after the season.

So that forces management to tell the player "It's over", and there's no good way to do that.I hear ya.

Still, it would be awesome for the fan base to be able to show our gratitude one last time and give our heros a PROPER send off !

Lady Steel
03-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Those guys are making a hell of a lot more money than I am. They can buy their own damn gold watch. :chuckle: