PDA

View Full Version : Troy Polamalu to join distinguished group of Steelers given the cold shoulder

Lady Steel
03-05-2015, 10:49 AM
It should come as little surprise that the Steelers do not want Troy Polamalu to play anymore. Sentiment does not win football games. It is why they released Hines Ward, James Farrior and Aaron Smith, all every bit as important to delivering Lombardi Trophies to the Steelers as did Polamalu.

If anything, the Steelers showed too much sentiment when they brought him back for the 2014 season. The coaching staff knew Polamalu no longer could be counted on to cover receivers so they used him in other ways that might try to take advantage of his other attributes.

It did not work and it was painful to watch him try, just as it was when they did everything they could to get Ward his 1,000th catch. Free safety Mike Mitchell’s performance might have improved had Polamalu been a resemblance of his old self.

They delayed this moment by a year, the same as they did with Dwight White at the end of his career. Bill Cowher once told me how difficult it was releasing players who had put everything on the line for his teams to win. I’m sure most coaches feel that way.

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/03/05/Polamalu-to-Join-Distinguished-Group

fansince'76
03-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Sentiment does not win football games.

Would have been nice of them to remember that for the wild card game when they started him and completely screwed up the dynamic of the defense which had actually begun to play a lot better without him in the weeks leading up to that game.

So we wound up dealing with the double whammy of losing about 30% of our offense on top of our defense regressing from passable back to dog shit-terrible. Sorry, but they should have announced his name in the starting lineup, let him run on to the field to the roar of the Heinz Field crowd and and then promptly sat him in favor of Allen.

I love Troy and will be eternally grateful for what he's done for this team, but it's time to go.

salamander
03-05-2015, 11:26 AM
Would have been nice of them to remember that for the wild card game when they started him and completely screwed up the dynamic of the defense which had actually begun to play a lot better without him in the weeks leading up to that game.

So we wound up dealing with the double whammy of losing about 30% of our offense on top of our defense regressing from passable back to dog shit-terrible. Sorry, but they should have announced his name in the starting lineup, let him run on to the field to the roar of the Heinz Field crowd and and then promptly sat him in favor of Allen.

I love Troy and will be eternally grateful for what he's done for this team, but it's time to go.

This. They completely screwed with the defensive chemistry they had going by doing that.

fansince'76
03-05-2015, 11:32 AM
This. They completely screwed with the defensive chemistry they had going by doing that.

I think his ego could have stood riding the pine if it eventually led to another ring. And I firmly believe that we could have gone toe-to-toe with anyone in the playoff field with Bell back in the lineup if we could have just gotten past the damn Ravens.

one side only
03-05-2015, 12:45 PM
They didn't even play Renegade before the game or introduce the defense. The superstitious part of me knew the Steelers were going to lose right then.

zulater
03-05-2015, 01:01 PM
I think his ego could have stood riding the pine if it eventually led to another ring. And I firmly believe that we could have gone toe-to-toe with anyone in the playoff field with Bell back in the lineup if we could have just gotten past the damn Ravens.

Since the season finished I've come to believe that Bell wouldn't have been even close to healthy at any time during the playoffs. Had he tried to play he possibly could have left himself vulnerable to further or a different injury. Maybe things worked for the best after all? :noidea:

I do think it was a mistake to play Troy against the Ravens. And I do think it was a poor move not to have Lance Moore activated for that game. In other words I don;t think the Steelers gave themselves their best chance to beat the Ravens due to some questionable coaches decisions. And I do think they would have beat the Broncos whether they had Bell or not had they advanced to that point. But without a fully healthy Bell I wouldnt have given them any chance to beat the Patriots or Seahawks.

TD's & Beer
03-05-2015, 01:15 PM
I'm a sad panda

I wish him well in whatever he decides

if he wants to go to Tennessee with LeBeau, I can understand too

steelerdude15
03-05-2015, 01:34 PM
As much as we hate to see it happen; the Steelers would be making the right decision by cutting Troy if he doesn't retire. Also, I don't feel Troy would be given the 'cold shoulder.' The Steelers would be making the best decision for their business.

NCSteeler
03-05-2015, 03:27 PM
Never figured Troy to be the guy that plays too long. He has always talked of his other interests , family and I always expected him to retire too soon. I expect he'll retire but he may have interest in following coach Dad South

ALLD
03-05-2015, 05:48 PM
He needs to retire before he gets hurt. He can't play wide open anymore and that's exactly when a player gets seriously injured. He's too slow.

Edman
03-06-2015, 09:59 AM
Cold Shoulder?

Troy had no business being handed the starting job back when

1) He stunk and Will Allen was outplaying him at all times this year.
2) He was nowhere near ready to play.

But he was handed the job back anyway, and Flacco tore up the secondary, just like Drew Brees did weeks earlier (coincidentally, Troy started the Saints game too). I think that is MORE than enough sentimentality granted to someone who didn't earn it.

The Defenses worst outings this year were when Troy was in the starting lineup. Their best outings were WITHOUT him. What should that tell you?

Count Steeler
03-07-2015, 05:40 AM
LeBeau would probably start him in Tennessee.

86WARD
03-07-2015, 06:56 AM
I'd be willing to bet a lot of teams (and fans) would start him on other teams based on his name alone. Of course, they are more than welcomed to take him. The only way he stays here, IMO, would be to take a severe pay cut and to be a role player...at best. But honestly, I'd rather just see him retire and enjoy life as one of the greatest Steelers to play the game.

Lady Steel
03-07-2015, 03:54 PM
I'd rather just see him retire and enjoy life as one of the greatest Steelers to play the game.

I agree. Troy is a Steelers legend.

polamalubeast
03-07-2015, 04:04 PM
I hope we will remember Polamalu as a great steelers and not from the player than Polamalu was in 2014!

The coaches are to blame for this situation

fansince'76
03-07-2015, 04:29 PM
I hope we will remember Polamalu as a great steelers and not from the player than Polamalu was in 2014!

The coaches are to blame for this situation

I fail to see how it's the fault of the coaches. :noidea:

Troy is the last one I figured would try to hold on when he's clearly past it.

polamalubeast
03-07-2015, 04:36 PM
I fail to see how it's the fault of the coaches. :noidea:

Troy is the last one I figured would try to hold on when he's clearly past it.

I mean ... it's the coaches who have decided to play Polamalu against the Ravens

fansince'76
03-07-2015, 04:37 PM
I mean ... it's the coaches they have decided to play Polamalu against the Ravens

Sorry, I misunderstood. And I absolutely, 100% agree.

Steeldude
03-08-2015, 07:19 AM
If Polalmalu can drop 20-30lbs I say let him finish his last year here. As most of us know even 5lbs. of extra fat can cause issues with quickness, speed, endurance... I don't know his official weight, but I have heard 230 to 240lbs. Wasn't he 205 in his younger years?

That's if weight is the problem. Perhaps it is desire, age, injuries or all of these combined. In my opinion, I feel the extra weight is the main culprit.

BigNastyDefense
03-08-2015, 10:30 AM
I really hope that he just retires. Playing any further, would just put a black mark on a distinguished first ballot hall of fame career, in my opinion.

The instincts are still there, but he no longer has the speed to make a play off of those instincts. Instead of being an x-factor who would line up deep and then be bearing down on the QB forcing a bad pass on third down, or lining up right behind the defensive line and then next thing we know being 30 yards deep intercepting a pass because everyone figured he was blitzing...he's a huge liability in coverage.