PDA

View Full Version : Insider Ed Bouchette: Steelers Have Some Tough Decisions To Make

Lady Steel
03-04-2015, 07:30 AM
PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – Post-Gazette Steelers Insider Ed Bouchette joined “The Cook and Poni Show” Tuesday to discuss the latest with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The biggest move yesterday was the one the Steelers didn’t make by using the franchise tag on Linebacker Jason Worilds.

Does this mean the end of Worilds with the Steelers?

“I think so,” Bouchette said. “There is still a chance he could go out and not find the money he was expecting.”

Bouchette says the Steelers have done this with players before like Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark, but he expects there will be a market out there for Worilds.

The Steelers are thin at linebacker and Bouchette said the Steelers may actually have to test the free agent waters for help and depth. One of those guys could be a familiar face.

“I would say don’t give up on James Harrison just yet,” Bouchette said. “He played well enough to help you depth wise. Now, you have to go out a find another starter.”

Bouchette said that doesn’t mean they will be looking for the big names you may want them to be looking at, but rather those middle of the road guys.

The Steelers are under the cap and are not forced to make any decisions just yet regarding cutting salary. However, Bouchette does mention that more cap relief will come when they begin to restructure certain contracts.

Then, there is the case of Troy Polamalu.

“That is the elephant in the room,” Bouchette said. “I expect him not to be here by some means. The Steelers are hoping he would retire, but I don’t know if he is going to.”

Listen here:

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/03/03/insider-ed-bouchette-steelers-have-some-tough-decisions-to-make/

Steeldude
03-04-2015, 07:45 AM
They are stupid if they don't re-sign Harrison.

SteelerFanInStl
03-04-2015, 07:55 AM
Exactly!

86WARD
03-04-2015, 08:05 AM

This. I'd also think they were stupid if they re-signed Worilds.

zulater
03-04-2015, 08:06 AM

There's really no sensible argument not to. This should be getting done right now.

tube517
03-04-2015, 10:46 AM
How does Troy affect the cap situation if:

He retires?

He is cut? (Can't remember the 2 cutoff dates - March and June?)

Steeldude
03-04-2015, 11:32 AM
There's really no sensible argument not to. This should be getting done right now.

But I won't be surprised if it never happens.

I am thinking Harrison would want at least a 2 year deal with some guaranteed money.

I have no faith in Jarvis Jones. I hope for the best, but I feel he will be a journeyman LB.

one side only
03-04-2015, 11:49 AM
If Harrison is expecting 2 year deal with guaranteed money, he may be inhaling something. I would gladly take a journeyman's production from Jarvis Jones. He looks like a slow, one-move pass rusher, not a complete linebacker.

Steeldude
03-04-2015, 12:53 PM
If Harrison is expecting 2 year deal with guaranteed money, he may be inhaling something. I would gladly take a journeyman's production from Jarvis Jones. He looks like a slow, one-move pass rusher, not a complete linebacker.

Harrison is one player the Steelers desperately need. Without him their defense is completely useless. I figure with the way he plays he would want some guaranteed money.

steelreserve
03-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Definitely need to bring back Harrison. It seems like it's mostly about convincing him he wants to play at all, not about the money. So who knows.

Worilds can go suck for some other team. If he gets a big payday after having half a good season in 2013, followed by another disappearing act last year, then good for him, too bad for whoever signs him. The odds of that paying off are low.

Jarvis Jones being a journeyman would not be the end of the world. Journeyman does not mean "OMG we MUST go out and spend more first-round draft picks or we're doomed!" It means you can fix the positions where you REALLY SUCK first and deal with that one in the later rounds or next year.

one side only
03-04-2015, 02:20 PM
Interesting perspectives on Harrison. One person believes he is the vital cog in the defensive machine. I'm hoping the "Without him their defense is completely useless" is sarcasm, but I'm not sure. Another believes Harrison needs to be convinced to play, despite Harrison's very public declaration that he intends to play in 2015.

ALLD
03-04-2015, 02:41 PM
Sign Harrison and overpay him a little if necessary as a means of respect. Let Worilds under achieve on another team. He is another hopeful that never materialized even though his name was dropped as the next big thing by Tomlin. The Antonio Brown and Leveon Bell picks panned out, so Coach T some slack.

Count Steeler
03-04-2015, 03:29 PM
Harrison earned a 1 year contract. Keep him 1 more year to keep our defense somewhat decent.

Troy, Ike and Brett, thanks for your years of service. You did the Black and Gold proud.

steelreserve
03-04-2015, 03:33 PM
Interesting perspectives on Harrison. One person believes he is the vital cog in the defensive machine. I'm hoping the "Without him their defense is completely useless" is sarcasm, but I'm not sure. Another believes Harrison needs to be convinced to play, despite Harrison's very public declaration that he intends to play in 2015.

When did he say that? If it was recently, I probably missed it. But if so, then never mind what I said. If he's willing, then we'd be morons not to have him back.

tube517
03-04-2015, 03:42 PM
When did he say that? If it was recently, I probably missed it. But if so, then never mind what I said. If he's willing, then we'd be morons not to have him back.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2015-02-22/james-harrison-retirement-comeback-steelers-free-agent-offseason-lifting-2015-nfl

SteelerFanInStl
03-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Harrison earned a 1 year contract. Keep him 1 more year to keep our defense somewhat decent.

Troy, Ike and Brett, thanks for your years of service. You did the Black and Gold proud.

Agree 100%. We need to get James signed.

I'd be willing to keep Brett around for depth for another year if he's cheap, which he should be. I want to see Tuitt starting though.

ALLD
03-04-2015, 05:26 PM
The problem with Keisel is that his body is not holding up same as Aaron Smith's. What is the opportunity cost of a roster spot?

86WARD
03-05-2015, 10:33 AM
Over paying Harrison for "respect and locker room leadership" is worth it.

steelerdude15
03-05-2015, 01:40 PM
The Steelers need to resign James. He brings experience and leadership to a defense that is in need of those traits.

Mojouw
03-05-2015, 04:39 PM
I don't think any of these decisions are all that difficult. Plus there are options between "retirement" and earn more money than you are worth.

tube517
03-09-2015, 01:21 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11058507_922351044472504_8547909796616509475_n.jpg ?oh=5ebf5491c66673551310d6492cd4cb5e&oe=558B6F92&__gda__=1434712091_7a6047089055c0db0453dfb3604868c 7

zulater
03-09-2015, 01:27 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/11058507_922351044472504_8547909796616509475_n.jpg ?oh=5ebf5491c66673551310d6492cd4cb5e&oe=558B6F92&__gda__=1434712091_7a6047089055c0db0453dfb3604868c 7

I can't see him waiting on the Steelers. He'll be in Tennessee or Arizona long before training camp opens.

Last time the Steelers parted ways I blamed Harrison. This time though it's the Steelers that are being arrogant and pig headed. Good luck James where ever you land. You played good enough last year that bringing you back shouldn't have even be a question once you stated your desire to play this season.

Mojouw
03-09-2015, 02:35 PM
Things James Harrison does NOT want to do in 2015:
1. Go to OTAs
2. Go to minicamp
3. Go to training camp
4. Play in the preseason

Things James Harrison does want to do in 2015:
1. Play in the NFL
2. Work out in his own maniacal way

Not signing a contract until much later in the off-season is better for a veteran player. Although it might be that without Troy, Ike, and Kiesel, Harrison isn't as interested in being in Pittsburgh.

Pappy
03-09-2015, 06:51 PM
But I won't be surprised if it never happens.

I am thinking Harrison would want at least a 2 year deal with some guaranteed money.

I have no faith in Jarvis Jones. I hope for the best, but I feel he will be a journeyman LB.
Unfortunately I agree with you 100 percent. Never liked him when we drafted him.

Jaucer
03-09-2015, 09:49 PM
I can't see him waiting on the Steelers. He'll be in Tennessee or Arizona long before training camp opens.

Last time the Steelers parted ways I blamed Harrison. This time though it's the Steelers that are being arrogant and pig headed. Good luck James where ever you land. You played good enough last year that bringing you back shouldn't have even be a question once you stated your desire to play this season.

Bullshit. Last year when it was Keisel you proclaimed it was because he and the Steelers had a gentleman's agreement that he would be signed after OTA's & preseason. That he wanted to stay in the Burg and it was only a matter of time. I completely agreed with you then even if not on this board. Personally I think the same applies right now for Harrison. I believe there is a mutual understanding that depending on how the offseason goes they will bring Harrison back at the last minute or tell him hey we got what we need, go ahead and retire as a Steeler and if things go bad we'll bring you back without question.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately I agree with you 100 percent. Never liked him when we drafted him.

Why would Harrison want a 2 year deal? Last time he tried that no one wanted to sign him. He ended up taking a cheaper deal with the Bungholes than offered in the Burg. I would think he learned his lesson. Plus hasn't it been on record that he want to retire a Steeler?

zulater
03-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Things James Harrison does NOT want to do in 2015:
1. Go to OTAs
2. Go to minicamp
3. Go to training camp
4. Play in the preseason

Things James Harrison does want to do in 2015:
1. Play in the NFL
2. Work out in his own maniacal way

Not signing a contract until much later in the off-season is better for a veteran player. Although it might be that without Troy, Ike, and Kiesel, Harrison isn't as interested in being in Pittsburgh.

If the Titans want him that's where he'll go, or so I believe. His loyalty to LeBeau supersedes his loyalty to the Steelers at this point..

Psycho Ward 86
03-10-2015, 06:34 PM
If the Titans want him that's where he'll go, or so I believe. His loyalty to LeBeau supersedes his loyalty to the Steelers at this point..

yeah but im pretty his loyalty to his family supersedes his loyalty to Lebeau. It was a big deal to him when he played for the bengals that he was away from his family so much.

Inb4 someone says Lebeau is family

katmandu
03-11-2015, 12:45 AM
Well, the decisions just became much harder after Worilds is no longer an option to bring back!

86WARD
03-11-2015, 04:35 AM
That's a good thing IMO.