PDA

View Full Version : Steelers receivers good as gold(en)

Lady Steel
02-28-2015, 11:34 PM
It may be impossible to top what John Stallworth and Lynn Swann did in the 1970s for the Steelers. Both starting wide receivers are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame after playing nine seasons together.

Yet, those were not the glory days of wide receivers for the Steelers. These are those days.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/03/01/Steelers-receivers-good-as-gold-en/stories/201503010121

Steelerette
03-01-2015, 02:39 AM
We never had a better tandem than 84 and 85, Lipps and Stallworth. Who knows what that could have been with something better than Malone and Woodley lobbing the rock.

86WARD
03-01-2015, 05:22 AM
It kinda really annoys me when articles state that Jerricho Cotchery was some sort of "big loss" for the Steelers...he was a less than average player who Ben brought attention to during his last season in Pittsburgh. It's not like, keeping in Steelers terms, they lost Louis Lipps, Santonio Holmes or even Emmanuel Sanders. He barely contributed during his three year stint in Pittsburgh.

ALLD
03-01-2015, 08:09 AM
What did Crotchery do last year? Bell catching the ball out of the backfield is also a huge weapon. Then think about a younger Heath Miller and everybody staying healthy.

Pappy
03-09-2015, 07:03 PM
We never had a better tandem than 84 and 85, Lipps and Stallworth. Who knows what that could have been with something better than Malone and Woodley lobbing the rock.
I can tell your too young to remember Swann with Stallworth. Don't get me wrong, Lipps was good, but Swann was in a league all by himself.

Dwinsgames
03-09-2015, 07:12 PM
I can tell your too young to remember Swann with Stallworth. Don't get me wrong, Lipps was good, but Swann was in a league all by himself.

this

statistically it does not show like it really was Swann retired early and the league was nothing close to the passing league it was in the 80's let alone today ...

Swann in this era and plays 10 years might own all the records

SteelerFanInStl
03-09-2015, 07:28 PM
this

statistically it does not show like it really was Swann retired early and the league was nothing close to the passing league it was in the 80's let alone today ...

Yep, Swanny was amazing!

86WARD
03-09-2015, 08:43 PM
this

I think the same could be said about Stallworth.

Steelerette
03-09-2015, 09:14 PM
Stallworth and Swann had Bradshaw throwing them the football.

Stallworth and Lipps had, at best, Mark Malone. While it will never be possible to do a real comparison, there's a clear difference there. I would put our top five best WRs at Stallworth, Lipps, Swann, Dial, and Thigpen... though AB is sure to knock Yancey out of that group sooner than later.

I would have loved to see that pair, Stallworth and Lipps, for a few years with a real QB at the helm.

As far as Swann vs Stallworth... luckily we're spoiled to not have to make that choice. But forced to make it, I go with Stallworth.