PDA

View Full Version : Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency

Lady Steel
02-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Pursuing high-end, high-priced free agents isn't the way the Steelers want to build their team.

It never has been, and it likely never will.

However, that doesn't mean the Steelers won't dip their toes into the free agency pool to check the temperature every once in a while.

This might be one of those years.

Free agency kicks off March 10, and the Steelers, historically spectators early in the process, have maneuvered themselves into position to address one of two major defensive needs: cornerback and outside linebacker.

That is, if they choose to do so.

The Steelers have cleared nearly $10 million in cap space by restructuring the contracts of Marcus Gilbert, Mike Mitchell and Maurkice Pouncey. In addition, they can trim as much as $8.75 million more by releasing veterans Troy Polamalu, Cam Thomas, Lance Moore and Brett Keisel before the start of the new league year.

Regardless of what the salary cap will be when it is announced next week — it is expected to be between $140 million-$143 million — the Steelers will have more disposable money to use in free agency than any time in recent memory.

That could indicate the possibility of a significant free agent signing, especially with the unlikelihood the Steelers will use a significant portion of their newfound money to prevent free agent outside linebacker Jason Worilds from hitting the open market.

“My question is, why are they clearing so much cap space now?” one player's agent recently told the Trib.

History would say it's not to sign a big-name unrestricted free agent.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7851232-74/free-steelers-agency#axzz3T6nLHDV8

st33lersguy
02-28-2015, 11:33 PM
I'd like them to find one 2nd tier starter (not too expensive) and 2-3 backups

86WARD
03-01-2015, 05:32 AM
Let's go...clear the rest of that cap space...today.

salamander
03-01-2015, 07:20 AM
Wait...we can potentially have nearly $18m in cap space? Did I read that correctly? Use it Steelers!

Crash
03-01-2015, 08:29 AM
All depends if they extend Ben. He would be lowered between $4-$5 mil.

BigNastyDefense
03-01-2015, 02:33 PM
I am all for cutting those veterans, even Troy and Brett who are the only two on that list that I have any emotional investment in. Their best days are behind them, far behind them. Honestly, they should both call it a career, even though it saddens me to say that.

If KC doesn't franchise Justin Houston, I would make a run at him. That guy is a pass rushing monster that I would love to see in the Black & Gold. That would allow us to move Jarvis Jones to the other side where he wouldn't be facing premier tackles so often, even though I think JJ is going to have a breakout season this year no matter which OLB position he plays. I would then go CB and S (I like the ballhawk out of Louisville) in the first two rounds of the draft.

If KC does franchise Houston, I would make a run at one of the top two CB's on the market, and bring back James Harrison. JH showed last year he's still a force rushing the passer, and I would love to have him one more year. He was still being blatantly held every single time he came around the edge last year, and they're never going to call it nearly as often as they should. But even being held, he was still able to get pressure and force some bad passes. I would then take a S in the first round (depending on who is there when we pick) to help sure up the secondary.

Other than one of those two big splash moves, I would resign Moats, McCain, and Will Allen for depth.

86WARD
03-02-2015, 12:56 PM
Cap is evidentially going to be $143.28 for 2015.

Mojouw
03-03-2015, 12:13 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03/steelers-2015-salary-cap-projection-ahead-of-new-league-year/

According to this the Steelers are only about $8 million under the cap now, and could get to about $10 million or so.

But the rookie class must be accounted for, and the FA's from the existing roster they want to bring back must be accounted for as well.

Long story short -- they really don't have a ton of money to throw around. Looks like bargain hunting again!

fansince'76
03-03-2015, 12:53 PM
Damn cheap Rooneys. :chuckle:

LLT
03-03-2015, 12:58 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/03/steelers-2015-salary-cap-projection-ahead-of-new-league-year/

Long story short -- they really don't have a ton of money to throw around. Looks like bargain hunting again!

As of now its about 10 mil....odds are it will be around 19-22 mil under the cap by the time cuts and re-structuring are done.

Crash
03-03-2015, 01:10 PM
They have room. All they have to do is get creative for 2015.

If Ben stays and is a $20 mil hit in 2016? They still have about $40 mil. That's WITH Troy and Miller on the books for almost $10 mil.

If Ben is a $20 mil hit in 2017? They would still have about $70 mil in room. Right now they only have 13 players under contract for 2017 and $90 mil or so in cap room.

Even if you add 15 draft picks from 2015-17? You still have half a roster to build.

This is probably the best cap situation this team has ever had. If Ben stays you have to treat his last 5 years like Denver did Elway: Work the cap, load up for one more run.

Because when Ben retires? Unless you get lucky? You're going to have down years anyway.

86WARD
03-03-2015, 01:37 PM
According to Steelers Depot they only have about $6.2M under the cap.

Crash
03-03-2015, 02:08 PM
OverTheCap is the best site for cap news.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers