PDA

View Full Version : Report: Mike Wallace Interested In Returning To Steelers

salamander
02-27-2015, 05:08 PM
PITTSBURGH (93-7 The FAN) – Since leaving the Steelers in free agency for a 5-year, $60 million contracthttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/02/27/report-mike-wallace-interested-in-returning-to-steelers/#) with the Miami Dolphins, wide receiver Mike Wallace hasn’t come close to putting up the numbers he did in Pittsburgh.

With three years remaining on his contract and the Dolphins reportedly looking for a way out of the dealhttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png (http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/02/27/report-mike-wallace-interested-in-returning-to-steelers/#), Wallace has begun to look at potential landing spots.

According to CBS NFL Insider Jason la Canfora (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/25083906/nfl-free-agency-sorry-wide-receivers-but-its-a-buyers-market), Wallace has expressed interest in reuniting with the Steelers.

link: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/02/27/report-mike-wallace-interested-in-returning-to-steelers/

Oh, God... please no. I really hope the feeling is NOT mutual. :yuck:

Shoes
02-27-2015, 05:14 PM
Cancer that can't catch and can only run a straight line.... I don't see that happening.

Butch
02-27-2015, 05:19 PM
ROFLMAO!!!

Bring back Santonio at least he was a play maker and he did jump.

fansince'76
02-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Somewhere, steeldawg is smiling... :chuckle:

La Canfora points out though that the Steelers interest in Wallace has yet to be seen.

They offered him a more-than-fair contract that he turned down. :noidea:

Buckinnuts
02-27-2015, 05:31 PM
Pass...

Crash
02-27-2015, 05:40 PM
No need in this offense. He'd be wasted here.

Steeltreal
02-27-2015, 05:43 PM
MO' MONEY!

86WARD
02-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Too late...

tube517
02-27-2015, 05:59 PM
http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0562/8761/products/one_trick_pony_vertical_grande.jpg?v=1409038037

Count Steeler
02-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Mike who?

ALLD
02-27-2015, 06:23 PM
That ship sailed and burned too many bridges.

st33lersguy
02-27-2015, 06:25 PM
NO WAY!

Godfather
02-27-2015, 06:30 PM
He's real fast. Oakland will pick him up when they see his 40 time at the veteran combine.

Crash
02-27-2015, 06:31 PM
My bet is Green Bay. He would dominate in that offense.

zulater
02-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Somewhere, steeldawg is smiling... :chuckle:

They offered him a more-than-fair contract that he turned down. :noidea:

Thank God! :pray: Imagine lugging that contract onto the Steelers cap situation.

Martavis Bryant is bigger, faster, cost effective, and isn't a head case. There's really not a spot for Wallace on our roster even at a more reasonable price.

tube517
02-27-2015, 06:39 PM
http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--Moa0EAJh--/18fcg9vxddiztjpg.jpg Wallace's cell phone rings w/this picture in caller ID........

Crash
02-27-2015, 06:46 PM
We took Plax back, we took James back, they even took Chad Brown back after his wife ripped the city. They let Kordell "retire" a Steeler after he and his Daddy ripped the city.

Wallace didn't burn bridges like those guys did.

Never say never.

zulater
02-27-2015, 06:52 PM
We took Plax back, we took James back, they even took Chad Brown back after his wife ripped the city. They let Kordell "retire" a Steeler after he and his Daddy ripped the city.

Wallace didn't burn bridges like those guys did.

Never say never.

I'll say never. Never under his current contract will they take him back.

- - - Updated - - -

The best deal the Steelers never made was Wallace not signing the contract he was offered by them.

Mojouw
02-27-2015, 07:03 PM
For the right contract, definitely.

Brown, Wallace, Bryant, and Wheaton?

Holy smokes!

zulater
02-27-2015, 07:08 PM
For the right contract, definitely.

Brown, Wallace, Bryant, and Wheaton?

Holy smokes!

Like that has any chance of happening with Wallace. If he's released by the Dolphins he's going to go to the highest bidder. And it can't or wont be the Steelers. There will be bids for his service. Just wont be anyone willing to give up anything in a trade to pay his current ridiculous contract.

Lady Steel
02-27-2015, 07:12 PM
Noooooooooo! I'll lose my shit!

Crash
02-27-2015, 07:14 PM
He's already got guaranteed money coming. He could sign a 1 year cheap deal, light it up with Ben, and then cash in.

If Haley would wake up, realize that #46, #89, and #82 are worthless? And use Brown, Bryant, and Wallace in a 3 wide base set?

They'd win 12 games.

GBMelBlount
02-27-2015, 07:24 PM
We are set at WR.

I'd rather see us grab a top shelf TE for the red zone.

Crash
02-27-2015, 07:34 PM
Why? I'd rather they spread teams out and move the pocket.

Haley's jumbo sets are garbage.

GBMelBlount
02-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Why? I'd rather they spread teams out and move the pocket.

Haley's jumbo sets are garbage.

I dunno.

We have a great quarterback, very good receivers, top ten offensive line and one of the best running backs in the league.

Yet we are still mediocre in the red zone and heath has always been fairly average production wise.

So that's my reasoning.

Crash
02-27-2015, 07:42 PM
And why is that? Because he plays tight jumbo sets and brings 8 men in the box.

Or, he has this obsession with Will Johnson.

Red zone failures are Haley's issue, not personnel.

Butch
02-27-2015, 07:51 PM
Mike doesn't jump, can't catch unless the ball hits him dead square in the hands then maybe, and he has a shitty attitude. Wouldn't put it past him to do a Blount on us and as far as I am concerned the best thing he can do for us is be a cancer in someone else's locker room.

Not no, but HELL NO!!!

GBMelBlount
02-27-2015, 07:55 PM
And why is that? Because he plays tight jumbo sets and brings 8 men in the box.

Or, he has this obsession with Will Johnson.

Red zone failures are Haley's issue, not personnel.

I agree with your point. This had me livid at times last year.

Still, I want to see us grab a top shelf tight end.

Just sayin... :)

86WARD
02-27-2015, 09:03 PM
Wallace has refused to renegotiate his deal with the Dolphins...

Shoes
02-27-2015, 10:26 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/02/dolphins-wr-mike-wallace-apparently-wants-to-blah-blah-blah/

Dwinsgames
02-27-2015, 11:17 PM
did he learn to jump ? ...............

ok then no .........

smokin3000gt
02-27-2015, 11:33 PM
It's not that he can't jump, he just can't be bothered to jump.

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I don't care about his ability. His attitude sucks and when we're trying to develop young guys he is the last influence we need.

Hawkman
02-28-2015, 12:20 AM
He's already got guaranteed money coming. He could sign a 1 year cheap deal, light it up with Ben, and then cash in.

If Haley would wake up, realize that #46, #89, and #82 are worthless? And use Brown, Bryant, and Wallace in a 3 wide base set?

They'd win 12 games.

Are you going to infuse every thread with your "Haley Hate"? Getting a little old. There have been several "Fire Haley" threads in the past. Why don't you resurrect one of those, or start you own. .........and by the way, Spaeth is a very good blocking TE, which is what he's used for......I think even BA used him in that capacity.

X-Terminator
02-28-2015, 12:26 AM
So not happening that it isn't even worth the keystrokes to say it.

Crash
02-28-2015, 12:39 AM
Are you going to infuse every thread with your "Haley Hate"? Getting a little old. There have been several "Fire Haley" threads in the past. Why don't you resurrect one of those, or start you own. .........and by the way, Spaeth is a very good blocking TE, which is what he's used for......I think even BA used him in that capacity.

Spaeth can't block me. But here's the facts, and not fiction, Spaeth, Johnson, and Palmer also spend plenty of time running pass patterns. The notion that they are used to max protect? Is a myth. They are actually running pass patterns. So we aren't max protecting, AND we have no speed on the field.

Ben had 163 pass attempts with 2+ TE's on the field.

To compare?

Rodgers (The 2014 league MVP): 40

Kurt Warner 2008 (With the same OC we have now): 60

The difference? Is that Haley in 2008 was running Whiz's offense, and in Pittsburgh he's running his own.

Haley knows what to do. He did it in the first half of the Lions game in 2013, and for the first 25 minutes of the Browns game in week 1 this year: Three wide base, little substitutions, get out of their way and reap the rewards of winning.

But by doing that? That renders Haley pretty much useless on the sidelines. And he won't have it. Which is why I'm not entirely convinced that Ben WANTS to keep playing here under this ownership induced arrangement.

Ben had been all about winning for the first 8 years of his career, only to see Art Rooney II blame him for the 2011 season ending the way it did, and then having the audacity to fire Arians not face to face like a man, but to have Mike Tomlin do it over the phone only AFTER Arians left for his off season home. Don't think for a minute that Ben has forgotten that.

I also believe part of him feels he can't win a title in this offense. Put up irrelevant numbers in losses? Sure. But winning a Super Bowl? Not the way Haley currently runs the show.

Fans want Ben to take a hometown discount? Well why should he? HTD's aren't given, they are EARNED by the organization through mutual compromise with the player.

And let's be honest here, the way Art II has treated Ben since Tim Tebow humiliated Dick LeBeau? If Ben were to give a HTD Art II should be on his knees kissing Ben's feet in appreciation, because Art II certainly hasn't earned one at this point.

GBMelBlount
02-28-2015, 05:07 AM
Haley knows what to do. He did it in the first half of the Lions game in 2013, and for the first 25 minutes of the Browns game in week 1 this year:

Three wide base, little substitutions, get out of their way and reap the rewards of winning.

But by doing that? That renders Haley pretty much useless on the sidelines. And he won't have it. Which is why I'm not entirely convinced that Ben WANTS to keep playing here under this ownership induced arrangement.

This is a GREAT point.

...and if that is Haley's motive for not using it more shame on him.

Fortunately they have the offseason to reflect on this past season and make adjustmentss and improvements in both personnel AND play calling...

At least that is what you would think...

stillers4me
02-28-2015, 07:51 AM
His attitude disappointed me so badly, I never want to see him in black and gold again. He spit in the face of what Hines tried to teach him. Just go away. AB took Hines' lessons and lives them well beyond. He deserves to wear the colors and cash the paycheck.

fansince'76
02-28-2015, 08:39 AM
ZOMG! DON'T YOU GUYS REALIZE THAT ONLY JERRY RICE AND RANDY MOSS PUT UP BETTER NUMBERS IN THEIR FIRST 3 NFL SEASONS THAN WALLACE? WE GOTTA GET HIM BACK! - steeldawg (for about the 10 millionth time) :chuckle:

SteelerFanInStl
02-28-2015, 08:45 AM
No f'ing way!!!

Crash
02-28-2015, 09:13 AM
His attitude disappointed me so badly, I never want to see him in black and gold again. He spit in the face of what Hines tried to teach him. Just go away. AB took Hines' lessons and lives them well beyond. He deserves to wear the colors and cash the paycheck.

Hines wasn't the great "teacher" people think he is. Hines was disruptive in the locker room as well.

Count Steeler
02-28-2015, 09:16 AM
Hines wasn't the great "teacher" people think he is. Hines was disruptive in the locker room as well.

True, but there is no denying that Hines heart on field >>>> Mike's often lackadaisical demeanor.

Dwinsgames
02-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Spaeth can't block me.

I stopped reading at this , when something is so fundamentally out of line no point reading past it

and it is well documented that I am not a Spaeth fan so not a case in me defending a player I really like

st33lersguy
02-28-2015, 09:24 AM
Frankly, I'd consider bringing back Limas before bringing back Wallace, at least Limas won't cause any locker room problems

Crash
02-28-2015, 09:29 AM
I stopped reading at this , when something is so fundamentally out of line no point reading past it

For every block he makes he'll whiff on two more. Will Johnson, as average as he is, actually blocks BETTER than Spaeth does.

Just watch him, and by that I mean watch the game more than once.

zulater
02-28-2015, 09:50 AM

and it is well documented that I am not a Spaeth fan so not a case in me defending a player I really like

Ditto.Thanks for saving me the keystrokes old friend.

- - - Updated - - -

For every block he makes he'll whiff on two more. Will Johnson, as average as he is, actually blocks BETTER than Spaeth does.

Just watch him, and by that I mean watch the game more than once.

I do. And you talk out of your ass.

Devilsdancefloor
02-28-2015, 10:44 AM
Id rather have gibson please! he would be ok with his role and seems to have is head in the right place

Shoes
02-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Jacoby Jones…much more for your money.

NCSteeler
02-28-2015, 11:39 AM
Quite honestly, I think you could write this story about any player that drafted and came up in the Steelers Org. and left for money to play for a loser. Seriously.

86WARD
02-28-2015, 12:08 PM

Lol.

zulater
02-28-2015, 12:22 PM
Lol.

A virtual cancer. :lol:

Crash
02-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Lol.

Laugh all you want. It's not a secret within the locker room that Hines was a "locker room lawyer" while he was there.

The difference was, he gave the media good quote, so they protected him.

Which was why no one knew of his divorce from his first wife because of his carousing, until it came out that he was pulled over in LA at 2 AM.

zulater
02-28-2015, 01:42 PM
Laugh all you want. It's not a secret within the locker room that Hines was a "locker room lawyer" while he was there.

The difference was, he gave the media good quote, so they protected him.

Which was why no one knew of his divorce from his first wife because of his carousing, until it came out that he was pulled over in LA at 2 AM.

Hines could be a bit of a diva at times. Everyone knows he and Ben aren't buddies. But he also set a good example with his work ethic, and selflessness between the lines. His off the field life doesn't concern me.

Crash
02-28-2015, 02:15 PM
"If [first-round pick Santonio Holmes] wants to be helped and asks, I'm more than willing," Ward told the PG. "But for me to go out of the way to try to help somebody, I'm not going to do it."

-Hines Ward 2006

"Selflessness"

Steelerette
02-28-2015, 04:31 PM
I'm neutral on the idea of him returning, but the reality is that there's simply no way it can happen at his contract level, or anything close to it.

Where would he fit? Essentially he would have to accept the reality that he was going to be a luxury item, that Brown, Bryant, and Wheaton are our main three WRs - and that we would use him 4-wide, on certain routes, as a decoy because of his speed, and on specific plays, and on special teams.

Essentially he would be a slight upgrade over DHB, fill that kind of role, and have to rework his salary to a commensurate level. While I'm fine with him in that scenario - I can't see him agreeing to that.

Mojouw
02-28-2015, 05:15 PM
I'm neutral on the idea of him returning, but the reality is that there's simply no way it can happen at his contract level, or anything close to it.

Where would he fit? Essentially he would have to accept the reality that he was going to be a luxury item, that Brown, Bryant, and Wheaton are our main three WRs - and that we would use him 4-wide, on certain routes, as a decoy because of his speed, and on specific plays, and on special teams.

Essentially he would be a slight upgrade over DHB, fill that kind of role, and have to rework his salary to a commensurate level. While I'm fine with him in that scenario - I can't see him agreeing to that.

To be fair, he would be a massive upgrade over DHB as a WR. Say what you want about Wallace's attitude, role in the locker room, salary demands, etc - he remains a lethal weapon as a deep threat. DHB is at best a blunt object. A really really handy one, but just a blunt object all the same.

All that being said, none of it matters because there is no way Wallace signs anywhere for less than 8 million per year.

zulater
02-28-2015, 05:17 PM
"If [first-round pick Santonio Holmes] wants to be helped and asks, I'm more than willing," Ward told the PG. "But for me to go out of the way to try to help somebody, I'm not going to do it."

-Hines Ward 2006

"Selflessness"

No. A third round pick who never got over being a third round pick knowing inferior players were drafted before him. A player who considered high round wr's as guys gunning for his job. Hines carried a huge chip around on his shoulder throughout his career that he used to help motivate himself to greater heights as a player. I think most of his teammates respected where he was coming from. .

Steelerette
02-28-2015, 05:36 PM
To be fair, he would be a massive upgrade over DHB as a WR.Agreed but it would be a downgrade at special teams... and we likely need the special teams help more than the WR help. That, and Wallace is going to demand about 6 million more per season than we should pay for the sort of utility he'll be slated for. So I remain neutral on the idea of him (IMO locker room concerns are overblown at this point in his career) but I can't imagine it happening either; at the end of the day you're right, moot to even talk about.

I'm not sure whether DHB will be back, but if he's not I bet his replacement will be someone decent at Special Teams.

As far as Hines goes there were plenty of times where what he wanted clashed with the reality of the situation. And? He dealt with it and life went on; even his holdout I would consider a business move. At no point in his tenure would have I considered him a cancer, or anything close to that.

86WARD
02-28-2015, 08:30 PM
During training camp in 2011 at St. Vincent\’s, Ward was often seen giving advice and help to young players as he always has throughout his career. Ward started camp on the PUP list as he was still recovering from offseason surgery to repair torn ligaments in his left thumb. Although he wasn\’t able to practice early in training camp, he was highly active on the field. He could be seen guiding young receivers like Mike Wallace, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown daily. Many players have given Ward props for being more than the man with a million dollar smile because of the level of intensity, understanding of the game and willingness to support other players. http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/03/hines-ward-has-leadership-skills-to-become-a-coach-but-will-he/

All make believe.

Hawkman
03-01-2015, 09:49 AM
All make believe.

:chuckle:

stillers4me
03-01-2015, 09:52 AM
I don't think Mike Wallace would be happy being second fiddle to AB. It would not be worth it.

Mojouw
03-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Agreed but it would be a downgrade at special teams... and we likely need the special teams help more than the WR help. That, and Wallace is going to demand about 6 million more per season than we should pay for the sort of utility he'll be slated for. So I remain neutral on the idea of him (IMO locker room concerns are overblown at this point in his career) but I can't imagine it happening either; at the end of the day you're right, moot to even talk about.

I'm not sure whether DHB will be back, but if he's not I bet his replacement will be someone decent at Special Teams.

As far as Hines goes there were plenty of times where what he wanted clashed with the reality of the situation. And? He dealt with it and life went on; even his holdout I would consider a business move. At no point in his tenure would have I considered him a cancer, or anything close to that.

You are, as always, correct. Wallace's salary demands and ability to fill a specific role on the team (3rd or 4th WR and special teams contributor) does not match up.

I can just have a nice off-season dream that Wallace wants to come back really bad on a short deal to prove that he can still be a borderline #1 WR. So he signs a $4 million one year deal and the offense puts up Tecmo bowl #'s.

Nadroj 20
03-01-2015, 11:32 AM
They just cut Brian Hartline. I'd rather pick him up for cheaper than Wallace at this point. Make him into a slot guy. He's been used as a vertical threat and #2 guy and has had 2 1,000 yard seasons. I'd like him as a #3 in the slot.

steel striker
03-01-2015, 01:51 PM
No way no how!

Steelerette
03-01-2015, 02:54 PM
and the offense puts up Tecmo bowl #'s.Brister to Lipps, Touchdown.

Every play.

Dodt
03-04-2015, 08:02 PM
sure as long as troy teaches him to catch and the Pittsburgh ballet theater teaches him to jump

Mojouw
03-05-2015, 10:01 AM
Brister to Lipps, Touchdown.

Every play.

Nice!