PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers should inquire about Jacoby Jones

Shoes
02-25-2015, 07:16 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers) would be crazy not to do a little homework on Jacoby Jones (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/10517/jacoby-jones), who was released Wednesday by the Baltimore Ravens (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/bal/baltimore-ravens), if not bring him in for a visit.

Few teams are more acquainted with what Jones can do as a return man than the Steelers.

Pittsburgh Steelers should inquire about Jacoby Jones (http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/12636/pittsburgh-steelers-should-inquire-about-jacoby-jones)

salamander
02-25-2015, 07:19 PM
I would not be against it...

Pappy
02-25-2015, 07:49 PM
I like him too. He can take Lance Moore's spot as long as he doesn't cost us any more money. He's a great return man with a Mack for big plays in big games.

SteelerFanInStl
02-25-2015, 09:10 PM
I'd be all for that. God knows how much he's killed us on special teams. He can be a decent #4 WR too.

86WARD
02-26-2015, 05:44 AM
Wouldn't mind finally getting a real return man.

Lady Steel
02-26-2015, 12:22 PM
I wouldn't be against it either. Let's do it!

Lady Steel
02-28-2015, 10:41 AM
Let's see if Tomlin can corral Jacoby Jones now

Jacoby Jones is two years removed from an MVP-caliber performance in Super Bowl XLVII. He is only months removed from returning a kickoff for a touchdown against the Steelers. He remains, at 30, one of the most dangerous return men in the NFL.

And now, after being released by the Baltimore Ravens in a salary cap move on Wednesday, he is a free agent. The Steelers spent Wednesday clearing cap space so they could make some moves in free agency, or to retain some of their own impending free agents. If Jones is willing to play for near the veteran minimum the Steelers should sign him to replace Darrius Heyward Bey as the fifth receiver.

The Steelers have brought some of their older players back for near the veteran’s minimum in recent years. Why not snag an old nemesis from their rivals?

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/steelers-steelers-blog/2015/02/26/Let-s-see-if-Tomlin-can-corral-Jacoby-Jones-now

steelreserve
03-02-2015, 02:37 AM
If they got him for the minimum, then great. If they paid "market rate" for a guy like that with all the problems we have on the other side of the ball, I will punch someone in the throat.

Drazo85
03-02-2015, 02:53 AM
If you pay him like a 4th or 5th receiver, than i have nothing against it. He also brings that special teams abillity we are lacking for quite some time (kick returner).

Shoes
03-02-2015, 06:07 AM
If you pay him like a 4th or 5th receiver, than i have nothing against it. He also brings that special teams abillity we are lacking for quite some time (kick returner).

And punt return so AB doesn't have to do it.

fansince'76
03-02-2015, 10:59 AM
For what? To watch him break one for a TD only to have it nullified by a block in the back clear over on the opposite side of the field and we wind up starting inside our own 10-yard line anyway?

Only if we upgrade at ST coach the way we did at OL coach. Otherwise, there's really not much of a point, to my mind.

Crash
03-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Exactly. Danny Smith sucks. But, he's from Pittsburgh so he got a job.

Bobby April could have been hired numerous times, and wasn't.

86WARD
03-02-2015, 12:43 PM
Danny Smith being on the coaching staff over LeBeau is a joke. If LeBeau goes, Smith should've done long before...

It's why you can't take Tomlin seriously anymore.

Crash
03-02-2015, 02:03 PM
If Wexell is right who forced LeBeau out? Was it Art II again?

86WARD
03-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Probably Todd Haley.

Crash
03-02-2015, 03:45 PM
I would hope Haley doesn't have that much pull. Then again, he sets rules for TOMLIN, so maybe he does.

86WARD
03-02-2015, 06:10 PM
Definitely Todd Haley...anything and everything wrong with the team comes down to Todd Haley.

Hawkman
03-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Definitely Todd Haley...anything and everything wrong with the team comes down to Todd Haley.
......well and Art II.

Mojouw
03-03-2015, 11:08 AM
While I am no fan of the Steelers special teams, some of it does come down to the players.

The guys the Steelers play on teams are typically very young, very inexperienced, and make mistakes that reflect that.

To get onto an NFL roster, a player is typically one of the 2-5 best players on his college roster. When is the last time many of these guys even played on special teams? Pee Wee?

Lady Steel
03-05-2015, 10:54 AM

steelerdude15
03-05-2015, 02:13 PM
If the Steelers signed Jacoby, he would bring depth to the receivers and would be a better option for special teams. Make him do kick and punt returns.

fansince'76
03-05-2015, 03:01 PM
While I am no fan of the Steelers special teams, some of it does come down to the players.

The guys the Steelers play on teams are typically very young, very inexperienced, and make mistakes that reflect that.

To get onto an NFL roster, a player is typically one of the 2-5 best players on his college roster. When is the last time many of these guys even played on special teams? Pee Wee?

True, but my beef is that it's pretty much always the same dumb penalty (blocking in the back) and is usually nowhere near the lane our returner takes, and the situation never seems to improve.

We all saw a drastic reduction in the number of penalties the team was getting called for as a whole once Tomlin started having refs attend practices, so why the same dumb mistakes on STs? Not to mention how frustrating it is to watch us make a good return only to wind up starting the ensuing drive inside our own 10-yard line when it's invariably brought back on a penalty.

I also see a glaring lack of situational awareness on returns in general - guys just don't seem to know when to catch the ball, when to just let it bounce, when to kneel for a touchback and when to try and break one. And it was pretty much at the same level at the end of the season as the beginning. They do practice STs, I presume(?)

I've seen more than one person quip on more than one occasion how we make every punter we face look like Ray Guy - well, this general lack of situational awareness is a big part of the reason why. You don't field a punt for a fair catch inside the 10-yard line - you let it bounce and hope momentum carries it into the end zone for a touchback.

Pappy
03-05-2015, 06:04 PM
I'd be all for that. God knows how much he's killed us on special teams. He can be a decent #4 WR too.
I agree, but only at the right price.

86WARD
03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Jones is evidentially signing with the Chargers.

st33lersguy
03-08-2015, 08:28 PM
Going against him once this year is still better than going against him twice this year

katmandu
03-09-2015, 12:13 AM
And punt return so AB doesn't have to do it.x2. I always cringe that thought of AB getting a serious injury every time I see him back there returning a kick.

I think.... is REALLY worth it all having him back there ?

86WARD
03-09-2015, 04:38 AM
How often though do serious injuries occur on kickoff returns or punt returns?

stillers4me
03-09-2015, 11:27 AM
According to the league, it's an epidemic.