PDA

View Full Version : Current Steelers relative draft worth as opposed to where they were drafted

zulater
02-20-2015, 07:43 PM
This is totally subjective. My opinion only. Please feel free add your opinion's. I don't claim to be a draft expert, or for that matter an NFL expert. I'm just a lifelong Steeler fan semi-educated in the game of pro football, and am offering what I believe to be relevant thoughts.

So here we go. Starting with Ben.

Ben as we know was drafted 11th overall by the Steelers in 2004. But the Steelers deserve no special praise for making the pick. Truth be told they almost didn't. Anyway as luck would have it the Browns, Raiders, and Cardinals, all teams with a glaring need at qb all chose to go in another direction. And of course the Giants and Chargers convinced themselves that Eli Manning and Phillip Rivers were better qb's than Ben. ( of course Bill Cowher did the same) And then of course even with Ben miraculously falling into their lap they almost picked Shawn Andrew instead. :doh: Well the bottom line is in the end with the 11th pick the Steelers got the -player that best fit their needs and the player who should have been picked first overall in that draft. Yes you can make the argument that Larry Fitzgerald is the better football player. But a qb does more to make a team win games than a wr. So I would say without hesitation that the Steelers got real lucky. They got the should have been first pick of the draft.

LeVeon Bell.2nd round 48 overall. I've got an internet friend very knowledgeable in the draft. I asked him if you redrafted the 2013 draft where would LeVeon go? I was expecting somewhere in the top 5, at worst top 10. For one thing that draft class hasn't exactly distinguished itself yet. But in the end I couldn't pin my friend down other than to concede that LeVeon would likely go in the first half of the first round. I found this amazing. I'm not trying to belittle my friends opinion. Because he's forgot more about the draft than I'll ever know. But what it means is that the position of rb is still in a diminished state in the minds of draft nic's. And this applies to the guys making the picks in the NFL. But I'm here to tell you they're wrong. At least in the case of LeVeon. Because I look at this Steeler team and I will say without hesitation that I wouldn't trade LeVeon straight up for any player drafted in the past two years. None would do more for this specific team than LeVeon will if he stays healthy. This guy does it all and does it all well, including blocking when called upon. Throw in that he doesn;t fumble and when it's all said and done this guy is doing more to win games than just about anyone you can name me. Draft guru's love left tackles. So tell me how many Super Bowls has Joe Thomas won? The Chiefs drafted OT Eric Fisher first overall. Jacksonville drafted OT Luke Joekel second overall. Miami drafted DE Dion Jordon third overall. So tell, exchange anyone of those for Bell and do we win 11 games this year? Hell no. Sorry I didn't wait your answer. :lol: The Steelers got the best player for their needs and probably in the draft with the 48 pick. Not bad.

Antonio Brown. You can make the argument that the 195th player taken in the 2010 draft is the best player from his draft class. And that's saying something. Because a lot of really good players came out of that draft. At worst he's top 5 value relative to his class or any draft class. I mean really if a team has a need for receiver and gets a guy who has the second most productive season in NFL history are you going to say, but hey he could be two inches taller and 30 pounds heavier? Hell no. Another home run here. You want to say they just got lucky, that if they had any idea he would turn into the player he has no way do they let him fall that far. and you'd be right. But it doesn't change the fact that the Steelers got a player who's in the discussion of being the best player in the 2010 draft.

Martavis Bryant. 4th round 118 player picked. Too early to call this one. A lot of good receivers came out of last years draft. But I think even though it's early if you were the Steelers and some other team was dead set on trading for Martavis you'd be looking for a lot higher than 4th round pick. As of today I would place his relevant worth as a mid 2nd round pick. And even for that I would be hesitant to trade him. He's got size and speed where he could develop into something really special.

Markus Wheaton 3rd round 79 overall 2013. Tough one here. I see signs of a fairly good receiver. Going by the standard if you could trade him what would you want in return? As of now I would peg it right where he was drafted. Jury still way way out here.

Heath Miller. 1st round 30 overall 2005. 532 catches later here stands the best tight end in Steelers history. That draft included some great players. Aaron Rodgers, Roddy White, DeMarcus Ware were drafted in the first round, but ironically none were drafted early in the round. Just goes to show you. Anyway bottom line is the Steelers got top 10 value, perhaps top 5 if you consider his blocking into the equation. So damn! If this wasn't value what is?

zulater
02-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Maurkice Pouncey. 1st round 18th overall. There's some debate about just how good Maurkice is. Injuries have certainly played a part. But last year finally he played a full season. And you could probably make the case that he'll be better next year, because players coming off major knee reconstructions usually are better a full year removed from the injury. Anyway relevant to his draft class, you got the aforementioned Antonio Brown, Gronk, Dez Bryant, N. Suh, Gerald McCoy, Joe Haden, etc.. A really loaded class. So if you redrafted the class Maurkice might actually drop a bit from 18. But relative to expected worth from the pick, assuming his health issues are behind him the Steelers got full value + for where they picked. I would give him a mid first round grade without a second thought.

Ramon Foster. Undrafted free agent. Ramon while not spectacular and prone to occasional lapses has proven to be an average offensive guard. If you drafted a player of his ability and duration with a mid 4th round pick no one would ever say it was a poorly used pick. So that's my grade for him. Mid 4th round quality of player.

David DeCastro. 1st round 24 overall 2012, from a fairly undistinguished ( to date) draft class. . Coming from the draft class he did he was probably good value. But if you dropped him into a loaded draft or an average draft I see him as mid 2nd round value. I will say his play is ascending. So his grade could come up. But to me if you draft a guard in the first round I want special. And while he's shown some flashes that he could be special, to date the consistency isn't there that you could place him among the best guards in the league. At this point he's been slightly above average.

Marcus Gilbert 2nd round 63 overall. 2011. He's improved. Improved a lot last year. I think his play may still be ascending. To the point the contract extension they gave him last summer might prove to be reasonable. Would I trade him for this year's 63 pick? Probably not. But that said to this point if I had to grade him it would probably be as a mid 4th round value based on what he's done to date with the chances he's had.

Kelvin Beachum. 7th round 248th pick. Now here's where I have some fun with my draft nick friends. Again tell me how many Super Bowls Joe Thomas has led a team to? (Is that fair? No. A little bit of a straw man argument you say? Perhaps. But here's the facts. According to Profootball focus's analytics Beachum was the 7th best left tackle in the league last season. This grade was an evaluation of both his run blocking and pass blocking. Maybe it's a little high? I'm a fan of Kelvin and it seemed a little much to me. Maybe last year was just a down year for left tackles? I don't really study the rest of the league like I do the Steelers, so maybe? But regardless he's a quality NFL starter. He's also extremely cap friendly and will probably remain so relevant to where he stand among the league's better left tackles. We won one Super Bowl and went to another with Max Starks as a starting left tackle. I can tell you that Beachum's 2014 was superior to any season Max had. (no offense Max :wink02: ) To me this is a great situation. A quality ascending left tackle that due to his starting draft position will probably never be paid quite what he's worth. Winning! So what is Kelvin's relative draft worth as it pertains to current subject? I'd put him mid 2nd round. I'm sure some will laugh at that. But I don't care. You find me his replacement, a guy that will grade out in the top third of the leagues left tackles that's still in his prime, and yeah that's worth every bit of a middle second round pick.

I will get around to the defense soon.

86WARD
02-20-2015, 09:12 PM
If Heath isn't Top-5 in that class (most likely 5th), he's at worst 6th IMO. Good positive write up. I'd like to see the comparative in the negative direction...

ALLD
02-21-2015, 07:21 AM
If a time machine were available, Le'veon Bell would have been the first pick of the draft. Players that generate the amount of all-purpose yards he does do not pop up every season. If he can put together an 8 or 10 year career he could make it into the HoF. Most likely the second half of his career would be behind a different QB.

86WARD
02-21-2015, 06:09 PM
If a time machine were available, Le'veon Bell would have been the first pick of the draft. Players that generate the amount of all-purpose yards he does do not pop up every season. If he can put together an 8 or 10 year career he could make it into the HoF. Most likely the second half of his career would be behind a different QB.

No worries. It's Landry Jones. Bell would be just fine behind him!!