PDA

View Full Version : Troubled cornerback on Steelers radar?

Shoes
02-17-2015, 06:58 PM
It's a little early for mock drafts, but the most recent one by ESPN draft expert Todd McShay has the Steelers taking troubled Washington cornerback Marcus Peters in the first round.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/02/16/Troubled-CB-on-Steelers-radar/stories/201502160084

No thanks!

Mojouw
02-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Sounds like a player inherited from previous coaching staff/system clashed with the new bosses.

http://seattletimes.com/html/huskyfootball/2025709367_uwfootball14xml.html

If he interviews well, the Steelers could certainly use his talent.

Shoes
02-17-2015, 07:44 PM
I don't know what an nfl scout would have to gain by making up a story that he witnessed Peters choking an assistant coach. 1st round pick, lots of money, boy howdy !

st33lersguy
02-17-2015, 07:51 PM
No thank you

ALLD
02-17-2015, 08:10 PM
No more head cases.

LLT
02-17-2015, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a player inherited from previous coaching staff/system clashed with the new bosses.

http://seattletimes.com/html/huskyfootball/2025709367_uwfootball14xml.html

If he interviews well, the Steelers could certainly use his talent.

You can take chances in the later rounds on players who are talented but have troubled pasts...or are talented but have less than two years as a starter. Good rule of thumb is to not use a 1st round pick on them.

Mojouw
02-17-2015, 08:52 PM
1st rounders no longer cost as much with the rookie wage scale. Here are Clinton Dix's contract #'s (21st pick in the 1st round - closest DB I could find to Steelers 2015 selection slot).

http://overthecap.com/player/ha-ha-clinton-dix/2960/

As for the head case -- remains to be seen how true that is and how much is overblown media speculation. If Peters is the one of the top 3 most talented CB in the draft and the other 2 are off the board -- it presents and interesting problem.

The Steelers have not had too much trouble with head cases. Most of those players problems or continued problems has more to do with not being talented enough to start in the NFL (Sweed, Rainey, Ta'amu, Adams, etc.) Mendenhall might be the only recent "head case" that really prevented himself from being a better player than he was.

Dwinsgames
02-17-2015, 11:04 PM
top 10 talent in this draft ... all those skills won't do him a bit of good if he remains uncoachable and a team cancer ...

sure one can claim he was an incumbent player in a new system and did not get along with the new coaches or scheme but as a player it is YOUR JOB to adjust and do your job and keep your mouth shut ... he has not proved to be that player at this point in time ....

risk vs reward ....

could easily become a lock down corner ( there is no such thing as a shut down corner ) hell even lock down is an over used term but we will use it anyways ...

the problem is he could just as easily vanish from the league by the end of his first contract , if he could not handle College football and playing his role in a scheme whats to say he could as a pro once he has pockets full of money ?

Talent wise he would be our #1 Corner as soon as he was drafted ( whether that showed up on the depth chart or not is another story but talent wise he would be )

for what it is worth I took him off my radar / board a few months ago , for me the risk is to great and the investment level to high ...

If we where talking about a 5th round flier sure why not its worth it , but he will never make it to the 5th round he may not even make it to our selection point in round 1 ...

another thing to keep in mind is this , ( as much as I dislike Colbert ) the one thing he does well is send false signals to other teams he manages to leak false info and drop misleading hints as well as anyone in the business and usually when he does this its to send attention away from the guy who truly is targeting ...

with the 22nd pick in the 1st round the Pittsburgh Steelers select .....( fill in the blank ) CB PJ Williams ,CB Kevin Johnson , NT Carl Davis , FS Gerod Holliman , OLB Vic Beasley

Personally I do not love Hollimans game but he is a turnover machine and this def has been sorely lacking that aspect to it for several years now so for that reason alone I think he could get a few looks from our top brass ......

I think Williams and Johnson climb through the process and end up first rounders even though they are truly second round talents but waiting for them to fall to you in the second will prove uneventful and you will have empty pockets ...

Beasley is thin and lighter than I like my OLBers but he is the best pure pass rusher left on the board at our pick point reminds me a bit of Bruce Irvin of the Seahawks very disruptive but based on speed and athleticism can be engulfed by tackles and disappear in stretches gets hung up in traffic at times and struggles to get off blocks when guys are able to get their hands on him ... has a nasty spin move ( should use it more than he does ) has a great bend around the corner and his first step is perhaps unmatched , he can drop into coverage too ... has played standing up but most of his snaps he had his hand in the dirt so there will be some transition to be made

EDIT... when i say investment I am not speaking of just monetary investment , a first round pick is very valuable , it a commodity like gold , not something you throw around so you do everything humanly possible to protect that selection and make it pay dividends ... you would not throw away your lifes savings on a risky stock so why would you do it with a 1st round draft pick ... minimize risk and maximize the reward thats my logic on the matter

Steelerette
02-18-2015, 01:45 AM
We're actually going to pick Breshad Perriman; nobody will ever see it coming.

Psycho Ward 86
02-18-2015, 02:49 AM
i cant say that i want us to pick him, but i ALWAYS want the FO to do their homework on everybody irregardless. you just never know.

Steeldude
02-18-2015, 06:55 AM
No more head cases.

I agree, I agree, I agree

Mojouw
02-18-2015, 11:17 AM
I couldn't agree more that 1st round picks are extremely important.

I just would like the Steelers or any team, to not simply take media reports into account when removing a player from consideration.

While I, as a fan, may never know what Peters issues are or are not, there is a version where he isn't a total head-case, just an immature 21 year old kid. If that is the case, I look long and hard at whether he has the talent to cash the checks his ego is writing. If he does...

Put it this way, at one time Dez Bryant was seen as a completely selfish, immature, waste of talent. After taking about 2 seasons to adjust to the league, all he has done is dominate. Patrick Peterson was also supposed to be toxic, haven't heard a whisper of a problem. No one ever said anything bad about either of the Pouncey's and look how much of a knucklehead the one in Miami is.

I just hope the Steelers do their homework and get to the bottom of the smoke vs fire debate with this prospect.

Pappy
02-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Can you say Johnny Manziel! No thanks.

zulater
02-18-2015, 05:16 PM
top 10 talent in this draft ... all those skills won't do him a bit of good if he remains uncoachable and a team cancer ...

sure one can claim he was an incumbent player in a new system and did not get along with the new coaches or scheme but as a player it is YOUR JOB to adjust and do your job and keep your mouth shut ... he has not proved to be that player at this point in time ....

risk vs reward ....

could easily become a lock down corner ( there is no such thing as a shut down corner ) hell even lock down is an over used term but we will use it anyways ...

the problem is he could just as easily vanish from the league by the end of his first contract , if he could not handle College football and playing his role in a scheme whats to say he could as a pro once he has pockets full of money ?

Talent wise he would be our #1 Corner as soon as he was drafted ( whether that showed up on the depth chart or not is another story but talent wise he would be )

for what it is worth I took him off my radar / board a few months ago , for me the risk is to great and the investment level to high ...

If we where talking about a 5th round flier sure why not its worth it , but he will never make it to the 5th round he may not even make it to our selection point in round 1 ...

another thing to keep in mind is this , ( as much as I dislike Colbert ) the one thing he does well is send false signals to other teams he manages to leak false info and drop misleading hints as well as anyone in the business and usually when he does this its to send attention away from the guy who truly is targeting ...

with the 22nd pick in the 1st round the Pittsburgh Steelers select .....( fill in the blank ) CB PJ Williams ,CB Kevin Johnson , NT Carl Davis , FS Gerod Holliman , OLB Vic Beasley

Personally I do not love Hollimans game but he is a turnover machine and this def has been sorely lacking that aspect to it for several years now so for that reason alone I think he could get a few looks from our top brass ......

I think Williams and Johnson climb through the process and end up first rounders even though they are truly second round talents but waiting for them to fall to you in the second will prove uneventful and you will have empty pockets ...

Beasley is thin and lighter than I like my OLBers but he is the best pure pass rusher left on the board at our pick point reminds me a bit of Bruce Irvin of the Seahawks very disruptive but based on speed and athleticism can be engulfed by tackles and disappear in stretches gets hung up in traffic at times and struggles to get off blocks when guys are able to get their hands on him ... has a nasty spin move ( should use it more than he does ) has a great bend around the corner and his first step is perhaps unmatched , he can drop into coverage too ... has played standing up but most of his snaps he had his hand in the dirt so there will be some transition to be made

EDIT... when i say investment I am not speaking of just monetary investment , a first round pick is very valuable , it a commodity like gold , not something you throw around so you do everything humanly possible to protect that selection and make it pay dividends ... you would not throw away your lifes savings on a risky stock so why would you do it with a 1st round draft pick ... minimize risk and maximize the reward thats my logic on the matter

With the jury still being way out on the last two first round picks of the Steelers I see no way they could make this sort of gamble.

Mojouw
02-18-2015, 05:59 PM
Interesting take: "Although Peters' reported insubordination will lead to concerns about his ability to get along with coaches, scouts and executives at the NFL level, I've had several scouts tell me that his character and personality wouldn't be an issue at other major programs. An NFC scout told me that coaches comfortable dealing with kids who have a bit of an edge wouldn't have a problem getting the best out of Peters or helping him assimilate into a structured program. Washington head coach Chris Petersen refused to deal with a player who didn't buy into all of the tenets of his new plan and approach at Washington. Thus, the character questions surrounding Peters appear to be "football character" issues, not legal matters that will torpedo his draft stock in meeting rooms around the league."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000424180/article/how-dismissal-affects-top-prospect-marcus-peters-draft-stock

Not saying that the Steelers should draft the kid. Just saying that it kinda sounds like there is more smoke here than fire. Didn't kinda the same thing happen with Bryant, only his college program handled it better?

That's what this article makes me think of (becoming a dad, not handling new responsibilities well, etc ) - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2015/02/11/marcus-peters-washington-nfl-draft-combine/23259443/

My only point is that Johnny Manziel was and is a waste of a draft pick because he does not have the talent needed to play in the NFL even if he was sober. Peters clearly has the talent, and has no off the field character issues (weed smoking, drinking, gun toting, clubbing, or women hitting, etc) so any NFL team better get this background information correct and see what the real issue is, or you could miss on a top 15 talent.

Last draft Santreal Henderson (or however you spell the big tackle from Miami) was supposed to be some on who no team should draft. He ended up going to the Bills in the 7th round and starting - outplaying more touted prospects and by what I can read - playing better than most of the Steelers tackles. Similar to Mike Adams. Adams has been great character wise and off the field (I am going to assume that whole stabbing thing was just a wrong place wrong time kinda thing) not been a concern either. The Steelers didn't get it wrong on character there, they got it wrong that Adams just sucks.

zulater
02-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Interesting take: "Although Peters' reported insubordination will lead to concerns about his ability to get along with coaches, scouts and executives at the NFL level, I've had several scouts tell me that his character and personality wouldn't be an issue at other major programs. An NFC scout told me that coaches comfortable dealing with kids who have a bit of an edge wouldn't have a problem getting the best out of Peters or helping him assimilate into a structured program. Washington head coach Chris Petersen refused to deal with a player who didn't buy into all of the tenets of his new plan and approach at Washington. Thus, the character questions surrounding Peters appear to be "football character" issues, not legal matters that will torpedo his draft stock in meeting rooms around the league."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000424180/article/how-dismissal-affects-top-prospect-marcus-peters-draft-stock

Not saying that the Steelers should draft the kid. Just saying that it kinda sounds like there is more smoke here than fire. Didn't kinda the same thing happen with Bryant, only his college program handled it better?

That's what this article makes me think of (becoming a dad, not handling new responsibilities well, etc ) - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2015/02/11/marcus-peters-washington-nfl-draft-combine/23259443/

My only point is that Johnny Manziel was and is a waste of a draft pick because he does not have the talent needed to play in the NFL even if he was sober. Peters clearly has the talent, and has no off the field character issues (weed smoking, drinking, gun toting, clubbing, or women hitting, etc) so any NFL team better get this background information correct and see what the real issue is, or you could miss on a top 15 talent.

Last draft Santreal Henderson (or however you spell the big tackle from Miami) was supposed to be some on who no team should draft. He ended up going to the Bills in the 7th round and starting - outplaying more touted prospects and by what I can read - playing better than most of the Steelers tackles. Similar to Mike Adams. Adams has been great character wise and off the field (I am going to assume that whole stabbing thing was just a wrong place wrong time kinda thing) not been a concern either. The Steelers didn't get it wrong on character there, they got it wrong that Adams just sucks.

You bring up Dez Bryant. Rumor has it the Cowboys employ a team of security people to stay with Dez 24-7 to see to it that he stays out of trouble. I really don't see the Steelers doing that, even though it might not be the worst idea ever.

Mojouw
02-18-2015, 06:38 PM
You bring up Dez Bryant. Rumor has it the Cowboys employ a team of security people to stay with Dez 24-7 to see to it that he stays out of trouble. I really don't see the Steelers doing that, even though it might not be the worst idea ever.

Really? That is about the most Jerry Jones thing ever. Yeah -- that may be a bit further than I figure a team should go.

Pappy
02-20-2015, 09:05 PM
Remember, this is the Steelers organization. Just a couple of years ago we practically gave away Santonio Holmes because of his off the field problems. This guy has absolutely no chance of becoming a Steeler. And I'm damn glad he won't.

BigNastyDefense
02-22-2015, 09:48 AM
You guys realize that this kid hasn't had any off the field problems? No failed drug tests, no arrests, none of that stuff. Making comparisons to Santonio Holmes is stupid, and shows that you're just pulling stuff out of thin air to bash someone who you obviously know nothing about.

His problems were with the new coaching staff at Washington. I don't know the details, only him and the coaches up there know the details. Maybe the coaches were asking him to play in a system that didn't fit his talents. Maybe they wanted to make an example of him for all we know. Maybe it was a combination of both. But the truth is, we will probably never know. I am sure he will go over it in interviews with teams, but we will likely never know the details.

If the Steelers pick him, I hope he becomes a lock down corner and helps lead this team to their seventh Super Bowl. If someone else picks him, I hope he has a good career except for when he plays the Steelers.

zulater
02-22-2015, 10:21 AM
You guys realize that this kid hasn't had any off the field problems? No failed drug tests, no arrests, none of that stuff. Making comparisons to Santonio Holmes is stupid, and shows that you're just pulling stuff out of thin air to bash someone who you obviously know nothing about.

His problems were with the new coaching staff at Washington. I don't know the details, only him and the coaches up there know the details. Maybe the coaches were asking him to play in a system that didn't fit his talents. Maybe they wanted to make an example of him for all we know. Maybe it was a combination of both. But the truth is, we will probably never know. I am sure he will go over it in interviews with teams, but we will likely never know the details.

If the Steelers pick him, I hope he becomes a lock down corner and helps lead this team to their seventh Super Bowl. If someone else picks him, I hope he has a good career except for when he plays the Steelers.

Generally speaking coaches don't cut off their nose to spite their face. And if you don't know the details who are you to call others stupid?:coffee: Do you want to spend a first round pick on someone who proves to be uncoachable or ends up being a cancer in the locker room? Jeff George didn't have any off the field issues either. How did that work out then?

What made the Steelers good this last decade wasn't reach peaks. It was solid well grounded picks like Heath Miller, Big Ben, Troy, and Pouncey. When they discredited the normal parameters and placed their own evaluations above the pack they burned themselves with the Ziggy Hoods and Jarvis Jones of the world. The Steelers last two first round picks are a huge question mark. You can't gamble and take a chance on missing with 3 first round picks in a row. You can't screw this one up. The upside of this guy might be tremendous. But if he comes in and turns into a huge uncoachable head case you're sitting there with no one but yourself to blame.

stillers4me
02-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Remember, this is the Steelers organization. Just a couple of years ago we practically gave away Santonio Holmes because of his off the field problems. This guy has absolutely no chance of becoming a Steeler. And I'm damn glad he won't.

Mike Adams

zulater
02-22-2015, 10:42 AM
Mike Adams

That's a good name to bring into the discussion. Some guys don't play as good as their talent for various reasons.

Steelersfan
02-22-2015, 07:50 PM
If Peters is there at 22 and the Steelers don't take him, they deserve to wallow forever in mediocrity with all you "church-going" hypocrite types. This is football, this is the NFL. I'm tired of the Steelers going off the deep-end a few years ago and their draft being full of "Teddy-bear" athletes.

I'd draft 7 "Marcus Peters type" draft picks and if one can't handle himself, can't mature, has no morals or brains and &^%$ up, THEN YOU CUT his a$$. You still end up with 6 strong, contributing potential all-pros or difference makers on your team.

We can keep doing what they have been doing for the last 8 or 9 years and drafting nothing but teddy bears athletes, that pass the choir boy test and make you hypocrites happy. Then we end up with 2, 3, 4 halfway decent, passable players while cutting the other 3, 4, or 5 from the draft class because they don't have the "instinct and/or attitude" to cut it in the NFL. With their current mentality Lambert, Mean Joe, Donnie Shell, Greg Lloyd, Harrison, Porter, etc. wouldn't of been drafted.

I'm not saying draft a bunch of gun toting, burnout, criminal, rapist, murdering thugs. There is a huge difference between a "thug" and a player with a killer instinct and attitude. I'm tired of the 2 or 3 passable stay-puff marshmallows we've been getting every draft. That doesn't build a SB champion. You pass on a chance at a guy like Peters and you end up with a team full of Jarvis Jones's, Beachum's, McCuller,'s Gilberts, Shazier's, McClendon's & Tuitt's. Yeah, every now and then, you get lucky with an Antonio Brown, Troy Polamalu or Leveon Bell out of the good boy/choir boy crowd. But especially in the trenches and on the defense, I want ATTITUDE. I want that "it" that is turned on for 3 hours every Sunday.

Peters is a top 5 or 10 talent, if he drops, you run to the podium and give the kid a chance. Peters is a immature school kid at a cross-road in his life, just like every other player in this and every other draft. Nothing in his past says he's a thug, a criminal, an Aaron Hernandez. If he does "go south" and blows his chance, then you cut him and move on with the 6 other "killer instinct" athletes from the draft. Not hold on to him, continuing to hope he sees-the-light, like the Browns are doing with Gordon. I'll take a draft where we have to cut a player or two, cause they just don't "get it". Instead of 8 draft that produce 3 or 4 stay-puffs a year, that get us to 8 and 8 every season with the biggest accomplishment being a one & done loss to Tebow and the Ravens.

Colbert and the Rooneys need to grow some balls!!! They're building a football team not a bible study group. Hell, our QB got punched in the face by a rival, a few season back. The only thing that happened was a bunch of message board choir boy lov'in fans whined about a league fine. Porter, Lambert, Joe Greene, Lloyd etc. would have body slammed the entire Ravens defense, including Suggs and Ngata. WE NEED ATTITUDE !!! We can only hope a guy like Peters drops! A pick that could save our teams "lunch money" into the future, cause lately, it has been being tak'in. And all you Steeler fans not wanting a Peters type on your team, have been getting laughed at by the Ravens, Bronco's, Patriot's, Seahawks etc. fans around the world.

st33lersguy
02-22-2015, 08:05 PM
There are plenty of solid cornerbacks in this draft that aren't basket cases.

zulater
02-22-2015, 08:11 PM
If Peters is there at 22 and the Steelers don't take him, they deserve to wallow forever in mediocrity with all you "church-going" hypocrite types. This is football, this is the NFL. I'm tired of the Steelers going off the deep-end a few years ago and their draft being full of "Teddy-bear" athletes.

I'd draft 7 "Marcus Peters type" draft picks and if one can't handle himself, can't mature, has no morals or brains and &^%$ up, THEN YOU CUT his a$$. You still end up with 6 strong, contributing potential all-pros or difference makers on your team.

We can keep doing what they have been doing for the last 8 or 9 years and drafting nothing but teddy bears athletes, that pass the choir boy test and make you hypocrites happy. Then we end up with 2, 3, 4 halfway decent, passable players while cutting the other 3, 4, or 5 from the draft class because they don't have the "instinct and/or attitude" to cut it in the NFL. With their current mentality Lambert, Mean Joe, Donnie Shell, Greg Lloyd, Harrison, Porter, etc. wouldn't of been drafted.

I'm not saying draft a bunch of gun toting, burnout, criminal, rapist, murdering thugs. There is a huge difference between a "thug" and a player with a killer instinct and attitude. I'm tired of the 2 or 3 passable stay-puff marshmallows we've been getting every draft. That doesn't build a SB champion. You pass on a chance at a guy like Peters and you end up with a team full of Jarvis Jones's, Beachum's, McCuller,'s Gilberts, Shazier's, McClendon's & Tuitt's. Yeah, every now and then, you get lucky with an Antonio Brown, Trpy Palumulu or Leveon Bell out of the good boy/choir boy crowd. But especially in the trenches and on the defense, I want ATTITUDE. I want that "it" that is turned on for 3 hours every Sunday.

Peters is a top 5 or 10 talent, if he drops, you run to the podium and give the kid a chance. Peters is a immature school kid at a cross-road in his life, just like every other player in this and every other draft. Nothing in his past says he's a thug, a criminal, an Aaron Hernandez. If he does "go south" and blows his chance, then you cut him and move on with the 6 other "killer instinct" athletes from the draft. Not hold on to him, continuing to hope he sees-the-light, like the Browns are doing with Gordon. I'll take a draft where I have to cut a player or two, cause the just don't "get it". Instead of 8 draft that produce 3 or 4 stay-puffs a year, that get us to 8 and 8 every season with the biggest accomplishment being a one & done loss to Tebow and the Ravens.

Colbert and the Rooneys need to grow some balls!!! They're building a football team not a bible study group. Hell, our QB got punched in the face by a rival, a few season back. The only thing that happened was a bunch of message board choir boy lov'in fans whined about a league fine. Porter, Lambert, Joe Greene, Lloyd etc. would have body slammed the entire Ravens defense, including Suggs and Ngata. WE NEED ATTITUDE !!! We can only hope a guy like Peters drops! A pick that could save our teams "lunch money" into the future, cause lately, it has been being tak'in. And all you Steeler fans not wanting a Peters type on your team, have been getting laughed at by the Ravens, Bronco's, Patriot's, Seahawks etc. fans around the world.

Not sure if this post is more needlessly abrasive or plain ass stupid? :doh:

Haven't put anyone on this site on ignore ever in all the years I've posted here. But got a feeling that day is nearing. I mean really your post isn't worth addressing. on any level

Steelersfan
02-22-2015, 08:12 PM
There are plenty of solid cornerbacks in this draft that aren't basket cases.

Sure there are, they've been there in the past too. Brice McCain, Cortez Allen !!! Plenty of those types, lets pass on one that will make a difference "possibly" and get another Curtis Brown, Brian McFadden etc.

Steelersfan
02-22-2015, 08:24 PM
Not sure if this post is more needlessly abrasive or plain ass stupid? :doh:

Haven't put anyone on this site on ignore ever in all the years I've posted here. But got a feeling that day is nearing. I mean really your post isn't worth addressing. on any level

It wasn't meant to be abrasive. I reread my post and you probably mean the "church-going" hypocrite type part. That may have come out different than my thoughts as I typed. What I mean is, alot of folks want to pass on Peters, but they'll be the first one cheering at a guy like Clark laying a game changing hit on Welker or McGahee. Or love a guy like Porter protecting the Steeler sidelines pre-game. Or Lambert body slamming an apposed bad-s$$ opponent picking on our kicker.

So if not abrasive, maybe to some stupid. I get that! But, look back at their recent drafts. Who has been drafted that has been a dominant difference maker type player? Who has been drafted that is the type player to take us to the promised land? I'd say Harrison was the last player we had, that had that in him. Again, we haven't totally "screwed-the-pooch". Antonio and Leveon for example. Great picks, but are they the vocal team leaders we need. Are they guys you see standing up for Ben, riling-up-the-troops, when an opponent goes overboard??? Heyward possibly could end up being one. Not sure yet in my opinion, but I think he has it in him.

All I'm saying is, you can't pass up a difference maker because he's an immature school kid that may have made an emotional mistake. Cause they all do it. We all did it. If he had "criminal" in him, then yes I agree. DND!!!

86WARD
02-22-2015, 08:35 PM
Le'Veon Bell arrested for DUI...not choir boy material...just saying...

Mojouw
02-22-2015, 08:52 PM
It wasn't meant to be abrasive. I reread my post and you probably mean the "church-going" hypocrite types. That may have come out different than my thoughts as I typed. What I mean is, alot of folks want to pass on Peters, but they'll be the first one cheering at a guy like Clark laying a game changing hit on Welker or McGahee. Or love a guy like Porter protecting the Steeler sidelines pre-game.

So if not abrasive, maybe to some stupid. I get that! But, look back at their recent drafts. Who has been drafted that has been a dominant difference maker type player? Who has been drafted that is the type player to take us to the promised land? I'd say Harrison was the last player we had, that had that in him. Again, we haven't totally "screwed-the-pooch". Antonio and Leveon for example. Great picks, but are they the vocal team leaders we need. Are they guys you see standing up for Ben, riling-up-the-troops, when an opponent goes overboard??? Heyward possibly could end up being one. Not sure yet in my opinion, but I think he has it in him.

All I'm saying is, you can't pass up a difference maker because he's an immature school kid that may have made an emotional mistake. Cause they all do it. We all did it. If he had "criminal" in him, then yes I agree. DND!!!

This actually makes a ton of sense. Everything I have read indicates that at many other college programs, what he did wouldn't have been a big deal. Wouldn't be an issue at the NFL level either. An angry kid challenged the new coach in an immature and selfish manner. He got suspended in what some think may have been an over reaction by the coach. Peters has now seemingly mended fences and has been working out at the facility and will hold a pro day there. Additionally, he has zero off the field issues that any one is aware of at this point.

If, as this draft seems to be shaking out based on initial combine results, the top 4 pass rushers and other 2 top corners are off the board by 22, why would you not take an otherwise top 10 talent? Tumbling top talent because he is an immature hot-head who clashed with coaches because he wanted to play a more aggressive brand of coverage? Yeah. I guess we should just pass.

Not saying that the Steelers should or will draft Peters, but if presented with an opportunity to do so - I strongly believe you have to take a good long look at pulling the trigger.

SteelerFanInStl
02-22-2015, 09:47 PM
This actually makes a ton of sense. Everything I have read indicates that at many other college programs, what he did wouldn't have been a big deal. Wouldn't be an issue at the NFL level either. An angry kid challenged the new coach in an immature and selfish manner. He got suspended in what some think may have been an over reaction by the coach. Peters has now seemingly mended fences and has been working out at the facility and will hold a pro day there. Additionally, he has zero off the field issues that any one is aware of at this point.

If, as this draft seems to be shaking out based on initial combine results, the top 4 pass rushers and other 2 top corners are off the board by 22, why would you not take an otherwise top 10 talent? Tumbling top talent because he is an immature hot-head who clashed with coaches because he wanted to play a more aggressive brand of coverage? Yeah. I guess we should just pass.

Not saying that the Steelers should or will draft Peters, but if presented with an opportunity to do so - I strongly believe you have to take a good long look at pulling the trigger.

Yep, I agree 100%. I don't know why so many are just throwing up the flag on this kid.

Dwinsgames
02-22-2015, 10:55 PM
before going to far out on the limb to defend him , I suggest looking a little deeper into him ...

this is a good read and from a well respected author ( read it all or don't bother to read at all is my suggestion ) red flags come in all shapes and sizes not always a BOLD here I am sort of thing some times their are just many hints .... look for those hints and then imagine pockets full of money and see where your imagination can travel or just how confident you may be in the young man ( not everyone will walk away with the same impression )

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25067696/nfl-draft-washington-cb-marcus-peters-aims-to-lower-red-flags

zulater
02-23-2015, 06:10 AM
Just to clarify. I'm not saying the Steelers should pass on Peters if he's there when they pick. I'm just saying you can't assert that they'd be idiots if they pass on him. They've got to do due diligence and make a call based on all the information they have. And they've got to be right. So I'll respect whatever they do and if they take him keep my fingers crossed that it doesn't blow up in their face. And if they pass on him then I hope whoever they do take proves to be the best player in the long run. If this young man is really as good as people claim, and the personality issues aren't likely to follow him to this level then he probably wont be there at 22 anyway.

Last thing. I took issue with a certain post earlier in the thread. It wasn't because the poster's impassioned position that Peters is a player the Steelers would be remiss to pass on. It's how he said it. How he flamed people of opposing views and also for some reason dragged down current Steelers players who'splay really isn't at issue. I mean really why would anyone have an issue with Tuitt or Beachum at this point? Why do you drag them down to prop this kid up? :doh:

st33lersguy
02-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Tomlin is not good with bad character guys. Look at all the bad character guys that got themselves thrown off the Steelers, Sansmokio Holmes, Chris Rainey, Alameda Ta'amu, LeGarrette the Blount. You can mention Mike Adams, but remember he came to the Steelers directly and asked what he could do to get back on their board after they put him off the board and then did what they asked of him. The Steelers need to hit on the CB pick they make, and you are telling me that the Steelers would be stupid not to take the risk and draft the kid, given Tomlin's bad history with guys with character issues and given all the CBs in this draft who don't present this risk?

Crash
02-23-2015, 01:09 PM
Tomlin didn't draft Holmes.

st33lersguy
02-23-2015, 01:46 PM
Tomlin didn't draft Holmes.

He coached him for the majority of his Steelers career and was head coach when Holmes got himself traded and suspended for weed, which is what I was talking about with this point

fansince'76
02-23-2015, 02:10 PM
He coached him for the majority of his Steelers career and was head coach when Holmes got himself traded and suspended for weed, which is what I was talking about with this point

I strongly doubt Tomlin's was the final say-so in Holmes being traded.

st33lersguy
02-23-2015, 02:20 PM
I strongly doubt Tomlin's was the final say-so in Holmes being traded.

The point is Tomlin and the Steelers organization haven't shown the ability to reign in troubled characters and prevent them from acting up hence why I don't think Peters would be a good fit in Pittsburgh