PDA

View Full Version : See a few scouting profiles of Antonio Brown before the 2010 Combine

stillers4me
02-17-2015, 05:52 AM
The Steelers future All Pro receiver wasn't exactly painted as a future league star. Keep that in mind when evaluating draft prospects today.

Lacks size. Not tall and does not possess enough bulk at this time. - NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/antonio-brown?id=497276)

Central Michigan's Antonio Brown (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/108636/antonio-brown) declared for the NFL Draft (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-draft) in 2010, just a junior from a smaller school, but one who put up huge numbers. In three seasons, he racked up 3,199 receiving yards on 305 catches, scoring 22 times. He also rushed for 598 yards for the Chippewas, adding another four touchdowns.

The scouts didn't see it.

Rated number 37 out of 276 WR's - NFL Draft Scout (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=74466&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR)...........

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/qzPScYH3kjT017f9KPyza_004rU=/0x0:940x627/783x522/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/45705916/AB.0.0.jpg

Read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015-nfl-mock-drafts-profiles-video-clips-highlights-steelers/2015/2/17/8048987/antonio-brown-combine-stats-measurements-2010-nfl-draft

- - - Updated - - -

Looks like AB responded well to criticism.

tube517
02-17-2015, 08:52 AM
Bust! :chuckle:

salamander
02-17-2015, 09:56 AM
Cut him now!!!!!! :lol:

st33lersguy
02-17-2015, 10:08 AM
You can never measure how hard a guy is willing to work

ALLD
02-17-2015, 01:54 PM
He has heart and plays with pride. I can only think of a couple of games where he had drops that hurt our chances of winning. I can't count how many games he won with his hands and legs.

SteelerFanInStl
02-17-2015, 05:25 PM
You can't measure a man's heart and desire at the combine.

GBMelBlount
02-17-2015, 06:31 PM
He is an inspiration.

Jaucer
02-17-2015, 06:49 PM
You can't measure a man's heart and desire at the combine.

This... However this is where interviews with not only the player but his coaches, teammates & plenty of film study should come into play. It is what genuine scouting is all about. That and the occasional gut instinct of a person that has been scouting for a long time and just has a grasp on talent when he see it. Problem is, I don't know if the Steelers have any of those types of scouts on their team.

Butch
02-17-2015, 08:48 PM
He's in good company with "Joe Who?", some skinny LB out of kent state, and a tall skinny WR out of Alabama A&M that nobody ever heard of.

Mojouw
02-17-2015, 08:53 PM
This... However this is where interviews with not only the player but his coaches, teammates & plenty of film study should come into play. It is what genuine scouting is all about. That and the occasional gut instinct of a person that has been scouting for a long time and just has a grasp on talent when he see it. Problem is, I don't know if the Steelers have any of those types of scouts on their team.

They must have at least one. They drafted Antonio Brown.

NCSteeler
02-17-2015, 10:08 PM
Blind squirrel can find a nut every once in a while

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steeldude
02-22-2015, 03:06 AM
I think the WR position is one that is not really affected by playing in a small school.

fansince'76
02-22-2015, 05:07 AM
Blind squirrel can find a nut every once in a while

They also had the foresight to sign him over the $60 million one trick pony over the protests of many at the time who predicted (wrongly) that his numbers would fall off a cliff after said one trick pony was gone. Wheaton and Bryant (especially) are beginning to look like keepers too.

When it comes to WRs, the Steelers have been hitting far more often than missing lately and they deserve at least a little credit for it.

86WARD
02-22-2015, 07:56 AM
It's why the combine is kind of a joke.

NCSteeler
02-22-2015, 08:25 AM
They also had the foresight to sign him over the $60 million one trick pony over the protests of many at the time who predicted (wrongly) that his numbers would fall off a cliff after said one trick pony was gone. Wheaton and Bryant (especially) are beginning to look like keepers too.

When it comes to WRs, the Steelers have been hitting far more often than missing lately and they deserve at least a little credit for it.
Once he was in house they could nsee what they had. There was nice way the steelers were going to resign Wallace . They have had trouble picking winners in the draft but do not let an affordable talent escape often

BigNastyDefense
02-22-2015, 08:55 AM
NC, you realize that the draft is truly a crapshoot, right? And the Steelers have made better picks in the draft than many other teams. First two round picks in Tomlin era

2007: Lawrence Timmons/LaMarr Woodley - Turned out pretty damn good, IMO.

2008: Rashard Mendenhall/Limas Sweed - Mendenhall didn't turn out to be great, but he gave us a few good seasons. Sweed had all the measurables and college production, but for some reason couldn't make it work in the League...however he did throw a hell of a block in the playoffs against the Ravens.

2009: Ziggy Hood/Kraig Urbik (3rd round) - Hood never developed into what we thought he could be, but not everyone can make the transition to a 3-4 end roll. Urbik was better than I think he was given credit for.

2010: Maurkice Pouncey/Jason Worilds - Pouncey is one of the best centers in the league, Worilds is an adequate OLB who I think will walk this offseason because his numbers don't match what he thinks he should be paid.

2011: Cameron Heyward/Marcus Gilbert - Heyward is a damn good DE for us, and Gilbert is adequate at RT.

2012: David DeCastro/Mike Adams - DeCastro is starting to look like an all-pro pick at G, and I think Adams might be a better T than Gilbert...I think in his limited PT last year, he looked better than Gilbert.

2013: Jarvis Jones/Le'Veon Bell - I think Jones would have had a good year last year if not for the dislocated wrist that wrecked his season, I think he will show everyone this year that he was worthy of his 1st round selection. Bell has proven to be one of the top two or three RB's in the game.

2014: Ryan Shazier/Stephon Tuitt - Shazier's rookie season was wrecked by a freak knee injury, I think he will show everyone why the Steelers took him when he takes the league by storm this season. Tuitt ended up starting towards the end of the year when The Beard got hurt, I think Tuitt will be a force on the line, book ending it with Heyward.

They say you normally won't know if you hit on a player or not until his third year. And for the most part, we didn't have a lot of busts in the first two rounds (I believe anyone after the second round cannot be considered a bust).

Could they have picked someone that would have turned out to be a better player? Yeah, they could have. But hindsight is always 20/20. We could have also picked a lot of players that turned out to be worse.

86WARD
02-22-2015, 10:53 AM
The 2008 and 2009 draft classes as a whole was an overall waste...a shit show at best. It's basically why the team is riding with no veteran depth at the moment. They pretty much "skipped" those two seasons as far as drafting goes...lol.

Godfather
02-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Ryan Clark also "lacks NFL size". How did that scouting report turn out?

stillers4me
02-22-2015, 03:10 PM
Ryan Clark also "lacks NFL size". How did that scouting report turn out?

Ask Willis McGahee and Wes Welker.

Mojouw
02-22-2015, 06:47 PM
The 2008 and 2009 draft classes as a whole was an overall waste...a shit show at best. It's basically why the team is riding with no veteran depth at the moment. They pretty much "skipped" those two seasons as far as drafting goes...lol.

Interestingly enough, looks like most of that class would be out of the league - except for star players.

http://www.statista.com/statistics/240102/average-player-career-length-in-the-national-football-league/

Maybe the problem is not depth guys - this team just lacks the HOF caliber talent it has been accustomed to having? I don't really know...