PDA

View Full Version : Time running out for Steelers' third-string quarterback Jones?

Lady Steel
02-12-2015, 11:25 PM
The Steelers used a fourth-round pick on quarterback Landry Jones not so he could be groomed to be Ben Roethlisberger's eventual replacement, but more to infuse some much-needed youth into an aging position.

At the time, it made sense.

Charlie Batch was 38, and Byron Leftwich was 32 and coming off shoulder and rib injuries.

Two years later, it's making a lot less sense.

Jones has been inactive for every game since being drafted in 2013 and hasn't advanced enough to beat out veteran Bruce Gradkowski as Roethlisberger's backup.

General manager Kevin Colbert isn't sure Jones ever will.

“Has he progressed to the point where he beat out Bruce as the No. 2? No,” Colbert said. “Maybe he will, maybe he won't. I think when you have young guys, at least they have that chance to grow.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7764670-74/jones-steelers-quarterback#axzz3RbEyPEvL

Butch
02-13-2015, 05:11 AM
Laundry Jones needs to go he was horrible in pre-season last year and they say in this article he improved from previous years. The real head scratcher is why this guy was even on the roster last year and it ended up costing us big time in the long run. At least Dennis Dixon had speed on his side, I don't see any bright spots from Jones.

86WARD
02-13-2015, 06:29 AM
It goes no further than he's had his "evaluation period" and he blows. They kept him on the roster and let players with "more talent" leave.

one side only
02-13-2015, 06:41 AM
L. Jones' biggest contribution this past season was the poor pass he threw to Martavis Bryant that contributed to the receiver's injury that slowed his development. Haven't understood the reasoning behind keeping three quarterbacks for quite some time, especially one whose development timeline doesn't mesh with the starting quarterback's career timeline. Even if Jones looked like he was making spectacular progress, what do you do with him? He would have no trade value even in that case.

86WARD
02-13-2015, 07:54 AM
So basically if Ben and Gradkowski go down in Week One with season ending injuries, they are comfortable with Landry Jones playing out the season...lol...

salamander
02-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Running out? His time ran out a long time ago.

SteelerFanInStl
02-13-2015, 03:43 PM
If he's still on the roster when the season starts, I'm going to be pissed!

one side only
02-13-2015, 05:01 PM
If he's still on the roster when the season starts, I'm going to be pissed!

Well, prepare yourself to be upset. There are only two possibilities for him not to be on the roster:

1. They draft another QB (or keep the UFA they will sign as a camp arm over L. Jones)

2. They suddenly decide to change their 3 QB policy.

ALLD
02-13-2015, 07:11 PM
The amount of time Jones has left as a Steeler. At midnight he is gone.
http://www.landscapearchitecturedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Clock-Midnight.jpg

Shoes
02-13-2015, 07:28 PM
Tomlin must have stock in sunflowers.

SteelerFanInStl
02-14-2015, 08:55 AM
Well, prepare yourself to be upset. There are only two possibilities for him not to be on the roster:

1. They draft another QB (or keep the UFA they will sign as a camp arm over L. Jones)

2. They suddenly decide to change their 3 QB policy.

Either one of those is better than keeping Mr. Worthless. They've wasted enough money and roster space on him.

Count Steeler
02-14-2015, 09:10 AM
I would love Tomlin to explain to me why Landry is on the roster. 3rd stringer with no game experience. Would he ever have to play, the Steelers season would be done.

Heck, might as well use the freed up roster spot on a long snapper, just in case Warren hurts himself again.