PDA

View Full Version : GM Colbert says Steelers, Roethlisberger are talking new contract

polamalubeast
02-10-2015, 01:51 PM
General manager Kevin Colbert said the Steelers have begun preliminary discussions on a new contract for Ben Roethlisberger and left no doubt what the franchise thinks about its record-setting quarterback.

“I think Ben is a franchise quarterback who is getting better with age,” Colbert said today. “You see it in a couple special players like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Their game has not deteriorated. I think Ben is going to be a better quarterback down the road than he has to this point.”

Colbert met with several members of the media today to discuss the NFL scouting combine that begins next week in Indianapolis and the start of free agency, which begins March 10.

He said Roethlisberger will get better after a season in which he tied for the league lead in passing yardage and threw a club-record 32 touchdown passes because of the young skill players around him – Antonio Brown, Le’Veon Bell, Markus Wheaton and Martavis Bryant.

“Those guys still have another level (they can reach),” Colbert said. “That part of Ben will grow …. He'll get better with good players around him."

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/02/10/Steelers-Roethlisberger-talking-about-new-contract/stories/201502100186

Steeltreal
02-10-2015, 02:50 PM
No young TE huh.

86WARD
02-10-2015, 02:50 PM
Good to hear.

Crash
02-10-2015, 03:17 PM
Confusing, because he first stated they hadn't had discussions.

He left the press room, went back, and then said they had started talks.

Sounds like he spoke the truth first, then was told to do damage control when he went back in.

Interesting to see if the Ben camp responds.

ALLD
02-10-2015, 05:22 PM
I don't think he can play without a contract.

Crash
02-10-2015, 06:35 PM
He's not a free agent. He has one year left.

one side only
02-11-2015, 07:02 AM
Here are the comparables:

QB . . . . . . . . . . . . . Average Salary . . . . . . . Total Contract
Aaron Rodgers . . . . . . $22M . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $110M
Matt Ryan . . . . . . . . . .$20.8 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $103.8M
Joe Flacco . . . . . . . . . . $20.1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $120.6M
Dree Brees . . . . . . . . . $20M . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$100M
Peyton Manning . . . .. $19.2M . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $96M
Colin Kaepernick . . . . $19M . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$114M
Jay Cutler . . . . . . . . . . $18.1M . . . . . . . . . . . . . $126.7M
Tony Romo . . . . . . . . .$18M . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .$108M
Matthew Stafford . . . . $17.7M . . . . . . . . . . . . . $53M
Alex Smith . . . . . . . . . .$17M . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $68M

X-Terminator
02-11-2015, 07:36 AM
LOL at Cutler's contract.

86WARD
02-11-2015, 07:42 AM
He'll get more than $20M. Maybe more than Rodgers.

Craic
02-11-2015, 07:49 AM
He'll get more than $20M. Maybe more than Rodgers.

More than Rodgers is overpaying Ben. For as much as I like Ben, and I think he's the best QB we've ever had and one of the top five in the league, he's not Aaron Rodgers good, probably a step or two below that, and I think his salary would hopefully reflect it (with the caveat that I don't know when Rodgers signed his last contract. If it was more than two or three years ago, never mind this post).

polamalubeast
02-11-2015, 07:53 AM
More than Rodgers is overpaying Ben. For as much as I like Ben, and I think he's the best QB we've ever had and one of the top five in the league, he's not Aaron Rodgers good, probably a step or two below that, and I think his salary would hopefully reflect it (with the caveat that I don't know when Rodgers signed his last contract. If it was more than two or three years ago, never mind this post).

It was in 2013 during the draft for Rodgers

86WARD
02-11-2015, 07:56 AM

Not really. That's how these QB contracts work...look at Joe Flacco. WAAAY overpaid and at one time the highest paid. Now he's not. It's just how that works...cost of doing business if you want a franchise QB. It will also depend on how the contract is broken down as to if he is "overpaid." Andrew Luck or somebody will wind up getting more than Ben.

one side only
02-11-2015, 10:12 AM
Here's a complete list. Never heard of some of these guys.

http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

Craic
02-11-2015, 10:20 AM
Not really. That's how these QB contracts work...look at Joe Flacco. WAAAY overpaid and at one time the highest paid. Now he's not. It's just how that works...cost of doing business if you want a franchise QB. It will also depend on how the contract is broken down as to if he is "overpaid." Andrew Luck or somebody will wind up getting more than Ben.

Yes and no. I should have been more specific . . .

Ben at one point received one of the biggest contracts ever. Then, for a while, he looked vastly underpaid after his bonuses paid out, but he wasn't due to the overall contract. So, what I should have said here was that if you take Rodger's contract, project it as if it was created this year with salary cap considerations and inflation, Ben's contract should fall a bit under that. Anything over is being overpaid, and too far under is Ben giving the Steelers a deal.

86WARD
02-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Yes and no. I should have been more specific . . .

Ben at one point received one of the biggest contracts ever. Then, for a while, he looked vastly underpaid after his bonuses paid out, but he wasn't due to the overall contract. So, what I should have said here was that if you take Rodger's contract, project it as if it was created this year with salary cap considerations and inflation, Ben's contract should fall a bit under that. Anything over is being overpaid, and too far under is Ben giving the Steelers a deal.

I wouldn't argue with that. All things being equal, Ben gets a deal this year, Rodgers gets a deal this year...yes, Rodgers should be more.

Crash
02-11-2015, 12:51 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2WGD3E3.gif

That's creepy. LOL

ALLD
02-11-2015, 03:32 PM
Ben probably wants to score a contract where he will actually be paid another $100 million. Maybe he has 5 years left, guarantee him $20 million per for five.

86WARD
02-11-2015, 04:19 PM
Ben probably wants to score a contract where he will actually be paid another $100 million. Maybe he has 5 years left, guarantee him $20 million per for five.

That's a bargain IMO...unless it's fully guaranteed...

Craic
02-11-2015, 08:54 PM

I don't know. Something tells me that at his age, he knows (1) he's got all the money he really needs if he's invested wisely. (2) What he really needs now to cement his trip to the HoF and push him finally into the discussion of great QBs, is another SB win, but he won't get that without a defense, a new number 1 TE (Heath won't be around too much longer due to age), and a strong second RB. So I think Ben will invest in the team and not break the bank.

86WARD
02-11-2015, 09:14 PM
They can set his contract up so that it doesn't affect the first few seasons and by the time it increases, there should be a bump in cap, so the latter parts of his contract may not be as difficult to handle as expected?

Crash
02-11-2015, 11:56 PM
If Ben is a $20 mil cap hit, they still have $40 mil in 2016 cap room (With Troy and Heath on the books for $10 mil), and $75 mil in 2017 cap room based on a $145 mil cap the minute he signs his contract.

Cap room won't be an issue after 2015. Being smart in the draft and using free agency as a legitimate tool to improve will be.