PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes

polamalubeast
02-08-2015, 08:04 AM

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2015/2/5/7989635/santonio-asking-to-make-history-again

stillers4me
02-08-2015, 09:01 AM
If we pick up any veteran, I'd rather it be Fitz. And since that's unlikely to happen, just say no to Doobio.

st33lersguy
02-08-2015, 09:17 AM
We don't need that. If he wanted to be back on the team, he should have thought of that before he smoked weed

fansince'76
02-08-2015, 09:41 AM
I already posted his tweet in the Fitz thread as a joke, but seriously, does he honestly think he'd come back and be our #1 WR as that tweet very strongly implies? :chuckle:

He'd have to show a LOT and would be extremely lucky to even be the #3 at this point.

However, since he's managed to keep his name out of the news and off of any police blotters lately, there's nothing wrong with bringing him in as a camp body and kicking the tires, especially with Moore presumably leaving. But if he displays one bit of the attitude that got him in hot water in New York, out he goes.

Hawkman
02-08-2015, 10:02 AM
I'ii pass, haven't seen much of anything from him since he left the Steelers.

fansince'76
02-08-2015, 10:10 AM
I'ii pass, haven't seen much of anything from him since he left the Steelers.

To be fair, it's hard to show much as a WR with Butt Fumble as your QB...

The only reason I'm agreeable to taking a chance with him as a camp body again is because he's managed to keep his nose clean lately. As long as he's put on a VERY short leash, I don't see the harm in giving him a look.

Let's face it, if they blackballed every player that smoked weed, there wouldn't be a league.

ALLD
02-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Let's resign Cary Davis to return kickoffs too.

Mojouw
02-08-2015, 12:19 PM
To be fair, it's hard to show much as a WR with Butt Fumble as your QB...

The only reason I'm agreeable to taking a chance with him as a camp body again is because he's managed to keep his nose clean lately. As long as he's put on a VERY short leash, I don't see the harm in giving him a look.

Let's face it, if they blackballed every player that smoked weed, there wouldn't be a league.

Ain't that the truth. Plus the Steelers are going to need a vet receiver or two to round out the position group.

However, Holmes looked worse than most when he finally got on the field with the Bears last year.

Butch
02-08-2015, 12:44 PM
I have no problem bringing in Santonio for a look and I believe he would come much cheaper than Fitz. Yes you would need to keep him on a short leash and let him know that at the 1st sign of ANY trouble he is out of here. Also keep in mind that Santonio and Ben were at their best when plays broke down and they had to play street ball. Not sure it would work the same now, but I wouldn't be objecting to giving it a look.

All this being said I doubt it happens, but we will see.

SteelerFanInStl
02-08-2015, 12:54 PM
Just say no.

He looked terrible with the Bears last year. I think his days are done. He also can't play special teams and we're going to need that from a backup WR.

I'd rather take a chance on a younger guy.

86WARD
02-08-2015, 03:25 PM
I'd bring him back and take a look at him as a replacement for Lance Moore and I didn't take that tweet as him wanting to be a number one receiver at all. I took it as he wants to comeback and win a Super Bowl in Pittsburgh.

Couldn't hurt to give him a try. The one question I have is as to why Chicago let him go after 9 games. He might not have anything left in the tank, but I'd be willing to give him a shot.

salamander
02-08-2015, 03:31 PM
I'm in agreement with FS'76 and 86WARD. I wouldn't mind bringing him in (on a short leash) for camp as a 3rd WR and see what happens. It honestly wouldn't bother me either way.

Steeldude
02-08-2015, 04:00 PM
A washed up, overrated headcase wants to return? No way. I would rather spend his vet minimum salary elsewhere. The Steelers are not hurting at the WR spot. If I wanted a headcase to return I would want one that could produce. In other words, I would rather have Blount back than the idiot Holmes. Actually, I wouldn't want Holmes back even if his salary $0.

86WARD
02-08-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm in agreement with FS'76 and 86WARD. I wouldn't mind bringing him in (on a short leash) for camp as a 3rd WR and see what happens. It honestly wouldn't bother me either way.

I was thinking 4th. But he'd have to play special teams...lol.

salamander
02-08-2015, 04:35 PM
I was thinking 4th. But he'd have to play special teams...lol.

You're right. I forgot about Bryant after Wheaton.

Lady Steel
02-08-2015, 07:43 PM
Just say no to Santonio! Nope, don't want him back. We don't need anymore problems.

Steelerette
02-09-2015, 03:03 AM
We don't need him hindering Bryant and Wheaton at this point.

I'm inclined to say yes IF - if he understands that he's basically WR4, and we'll maybe have some looks and formations where he'll be in, and that part of his job is to help mentor whatever rookie we bring in to be WR6.

Brown
Bryant
Wheaton
Holmes
Heyward-Bey
4th - UDFA

I'm just fine with that group of six, IMO. It's not the worst situation we could have in case one of the top three comes away injured too. The big if is, whether he would understand and accept that role on the team. While I agree a move is probably not going to make sense unless he comes cheap and accepts a specific role, which is admittedly a huge if - I don't get the completely unconditional dismissal. That said, there are probably other veterans to be had who can fill that role just as well.

T&B fan
02-09-2015, 08:47 AM
we don't need him ,he needs us . with that he comes in at veteran min pay ,under stands his roll is also min unless injures happen . and if any problems not only is he gone with out pay he may have to pay us some $$ back .

86WARD
02-09-2015, 10:38 AM
I think it's pretty much a given that IF the front office would even consider this situation that the contract would ONLY be team friendly. IF the team would even consider it...

Dwinsgames
02-09-2015, 12:07 PM
We don't need him hindering Bryant and Wheaton at this point.

I'm inclined to say yes IF - if he understands that he's basically WR4, and we'll maybe have some looks and formations where he'll be in, and that part of his job is to help mentor whatever rookie we bring in to be WR6.

Brown
Bryant
Wheaton
Holmes
Heyward-Bey
4th - UDFA

I'm just fine with that group of six, IMO. It's not the worst situation we could have in case one of the top three comes away injured too. The big if is, whether he would understand and accept that role on the team. While I agree a move is probably not going to make sense unless he comes cheap and accepts a specific role, which is admittedly a huge if - I don't get the completely unconditional dismissal. That said, there are probably other veterans to be had who can fill that role just as well.

Heyward Bey ?

please tell me we are not going to extend an offer sheet to that waste of a roster spot ( I do believe he was on a 1 year prove it deal and he proved everything we already knew ( hands of stone covered in pig grease )

86WARD
02-09-2015, 01:24 PM
DHB was actually decent on Special Teams from what I recall. I wouldn't mind upgrading him though.

Count Steeler
02-09-2015, 02:36 PM
DHB was actually decent on Special Teams from what I recall. I wouldn't mind upgrading him though.

Just keep him off the onside "hands" team.

Steelerette
02-09-2015, 04:16 PM
Heyward Bey ?

please tell me we are not going to extend an offer sheet to that waste of a roster spot ( I do believe he was on a 1 year prove it deal and he proved everything we already knew ( hands of stone covered in pig grease )

Yeah, he was actually very good on special teams, just don't put him on the hands team. Plus, even if the opposing defense is pretty sure that he'll drop the ball, they still have to account for him on the limited looks he does get. High work ethic guy... I wouldn't mind an upgrade but I can't imagine WR being a high draft priority so unless we grab not one but two FAs then DHB coming back is possible, and not the worst that could happen.

LLT
02-09-2015, 04:55 PM
Gotta believe that the Steelers saw enough in C.J. Goodwin, that he will at least get to compete for a roster slot. This is the guy that Mel Blount became aware of and got the kid a tryout. One week later the Steelers signed him to a contract and put him on the PS.

6'3...4.41 speed...and a 40 inch vertical.

It will be interesting to see if the Steelers are able to take those measurables and coach him up.

86WARD
02-09-2015, 07:06 PM
Kind of tired of hearing about the "speed." Just give me a guy that can get open, catch the ball and be clutch.

fansince'76
02-09-2015, 07:13 PM
Kind of tired of hearing about the "speed." Just give me a guy that can get open, catch the ball and be clutch.

That's how you be great! :chuckle:

86WARD
02-09-2015, 07:18 PM
That's how you be great! :chuckle:

Not too much to ask...lol.

LLT
02-09-2015, 09:37 PM

Gotta have speed on at least one side of the field. But ...yea....fast guys who cant catch pretty much defeat the purpose.

Psycho Ward 86
02-10-2015, 12:44 AM
martavis bryant himself was already flagged for being a possible headcase. no need to put him under santonio's influence...

Underrated, but great thing about our trio (Brown, Bryant, Wheaton) is that all of them can play EVERY wide receiver position well. Talk about versatility. Kind of opens up the possibilities of what kind of receiver we might want to snag as a #4

86WARD
02-10-2015, 06:26 AM
Gotta have speed on at least one side of the field. But ...yea....fast guys who cant catch pretty much defeat the purpose.

They have a ton of speed on offense already.

tube517
02-10-2015, 07:52 AM
Gotta have speed on at least one side of the field. But ...yea....fast guys who have to jump for the ball pretty much defeat the purpose.

Fixed.....:chuckle:

MULLDOG24
02-10-2015, 09:13 AM
I want to keep Bryant on the "GOOD TRACK" so in saying that I say no to Santonio because of his past actions and more so his attitude. No need to let him get into a young guys head and hamper his progression JMHO.