PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Looming For Le'Veon Bell?

Lady Steel
02-07-2015, 11:58 PM
ESPN Steelers reporter Scott Brown discusses the type of punishment running back Le'Veon Bell might receive from the NFL after getting sentenced to 15 months probation for his arrest on marijuana possession.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12289110&ex_cid=espnapi_public

st33lersguy
02-08-2015, 12:05 AM
It is fair that Le'Veon gets suspended, but if Bitchmode doesn't get the same suspension, I will be pissed

86WARD
02-08-2015, 04:41 AM
What sentence did Blount get?

fansince'76
02-08-2015, 05:02 AM
It is fair that Le'Veon gets suspended, but if Bitchmode doesn't get the same suspension, I will be pissed

Be pissed then, because Sucker Punch isn't getting shit for punishment. He's going to skate just like his POS cheating team.

NCSteeler
02-08-2015, 05:10 AM
What sentence did Blount get?

Charges dropped

86WARD
02-08-2015, 07:30 AM
Lol...which means he'll get off With nothing and bell will get a suspension...I might lose my shit...

stillers4me
02-08-2015, 07:51 AM
Bell was driving.

zulater
02-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Bell was the driver and was also foolish enough to admit to being under the influence, and further compounded it by stating he didn't realize driving under the influence of marijuana was illegal. Had he just kept his mouth shut like Blount did he probably would have got off scot- free. Or got the same minimal punishment as Blount did . Because if LeVeon had merely claimed the others were smoking in the car and he hadn't it's hard to quantify level of intoxication with cannibas. Even a positive drug test wouldn't have indicated how high if at all he was when the car got pulled over. In other words his own comments convicted him.

Hopefully this will only be a one game suspension. And if we are forced to open at Gillete against the Patriots that might not be the worst thing. That game was going to be a long shot to win any way you cut it. So if you lose LeVeon for that one game chances are your end of season record isn't effected.

Of course knowing Goodell he'll make it two games and then make surethe Ravens visit Pittsburgh week 2. :frusty:

stillers4me
02-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Bell was the driver and was also foolish enough to admit to being under the influence, and further compounded it by stating he didn't realize driving under the influence of marijuana was illegal. Had he just kept his mouth shut like Blount did he probably would have got off scot- free. Or got the same minimal punishment as Blount did . Because if LeVeon had merely claimed the others were smoking in the car and he hadn't it's hard to quantify level of intoxication with cannibas. Even a positive drug test wouldn't have indicated how high if at all he was when the car got pulled over. In other words his own comments convicted him.

Hopefully this will only be a one game suspension. And if we are forced to open at Gillete against the Patriots that might not be the worst thing. That game was going to be a long shot to win any way you cut it. So if you lose LeVeon for that one game chances are your end of season record isn't effected.

Of course knowing Goodell he'll make it two games and then make surethe Ravens visit Pittsburgh week 2. :frusty:
Bell isn't as an experienced dickhead as that POS Who Shall Not Be Named.

Shoes
02-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Better draft a very good back up….need one regardless.

Texasteel
02-08-2015, 11:17 AM
Goodell set a precedence when he suspended Ben, who was still under investigation, for the integrate of the game. He has since seemed to ignore that precedence at will, in a few instances. I see no reason to think he will not continue to pick and choose where and when to apply, rules and opinions he himself has set in place, at least as long as he seems to have no one to answer to. For instance, Ben got the penalty he got on suspicions. Rice got 2 game for beating the shit out of a woman in an elevator.

If you are looking for a fair and honest ruling, you are looking in the wrong place in Goodell.

st33lersguy
02-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Be pissed then, because Sucker Punch isn't getting shit for punishment. He's going to skate just like his POS cheating team.

I was thinking Bell would get 1 or 2 games while Bitchmode gets off scott-free then Gestapo Goodell schedules the Steelers to play the Cheats in the home opener. I am already mentally preparing myself for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Goodell set a precedence when he suspended Ben, who was still under investigation, for the integrate of the game. He has since seemed to ignore that precedence at will, in a few instances. I see no reason to think he will not continue to pick and choose where and when to apply, rules and opinions he himself has set in place, at least as long as he seems to have no one to answer to. For instance, Ben got the penalty he got on suspicions. Rice got 2 game for beating the shit out of a woman in an elevator.

If you are looking for a fair and honest ruling, you are looking in the wrong place in Goodell.

Goodell only suspends Steeler players unless a media firestorm erupts. Heck he was going to give Ray Rice 2 games less for knocking out his wife than Ben got for baseless charges that didn't lead to criminal charges

stillers4me
02-08-2015, 11:39 AM
This no earthly way that Goodell would let the World Champion New England Patriots* lose their Thursday night opener. Who ever they play, it's a guaranteed Big, Fat L.

Mojouw
02-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Bell will get 1-2 games for sure. DUI is now a mandatory 1-3 game suspension - regardless of circumstance or priors.

Pot is basically nothing under the new rules. So Blount, who was not operating the vehicle. will get put in the treatment protocols at worst.

That means Bell will be suspended. It is all comical at best, but Herr Goodell has made it clear that image is all the NFL cares about.

Riding in a car blunted is not as bad as driving on in the same condition. Hence Bell gets suspended and Blount rolls on.

Texasteel
02-08-2015, 01:03 PM
Bell will get 1-2 games for sure. DUI is now a mandatory 1-3 game suspension - regardless of circumstance or priors.

Pot is basically nothing under the new rules. So Blount, who was not operating the vehicle. will get put in the treatment protocols at worst.

That means Bell will be suspended. It is all comical at best, but Herr Goodell has made it clear that image is all the NFL cares about.

Riding in a car blunted is not as bad as driving on in the same condition. Hence Bell gets suspended and Blount rolls on.

A very good post.
I agree that Bell will be suspended, and should be. I also agree that Blount will not be suspended, but in a league that has suspended players because he put himself in a situation that draws bad publicity to the league Blount should be suspended a game. It has been a growing view that the NFL is filled with pot heads, true or not, and to gloss this over now is a mistake, and unfair to the players that have been suspended in the past. If the use of marijuana is not longer important to the NFL they should say so, and in essence make the use of this illegal drug legal to the NFL.
What I would like is a fair and equal application of rules to all players, no matter who they are or what team they play for.

Mojouw
02-08-2015, 01:23 PM
A very good post.
I agree that Bell will be suspended, and should be. I also agree that Blount will not be suspended, but in a league that has suspended players because he put himself in a situation that draws bad publicity to the league Blount should be suspended a game. It has been a growing view that the NFL is filled with pot heads, true or not, and to gloss this over now is a mistake, and unfair to the players that have been suspended in the past. If the use of marijuana is not longer important to the NFL they should say so, and in essence make the use of this illegal drug legal to the NFL.
What I would like is a fair and equal application of rules to all players, no matter who they are or what team they play for.

I totally agree that the NFL hands out punishment seemingly at random. My guess is it is best on their understanding of public outrage at any given instance.

As for the DUI and pot rules - the NFL has made it pretty clear where it stands on both.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2014/9/19/6559533/nfl-new-drug-policy-details-nflpa

Based on this article, they traded a tough PED policy (what the NFL suits wanted) for a lax recreational drug policy (what the union wanted)

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11542076/nfl-union-ok-new-performance-enhancing-drug-policy-human-growth-hormone-testing

Texasteel
02-08-2015, 02:17 PM
My comparisons is not Bell and Blount but the leagues insistence of condemning curtain players on the appearance, or perception of guilt. Just my opinion, but I think that both Bell and Blount should have been tested for the substance when the event occurred, and then move on from there. When I was still working, this is what would of happen in this instance. Again I don't know were this would stand on the leagues agreement, or current policies. It's just something that make sense to me, if they truly do want to protect the integrity of the game.

Hell,,,, I'm just blowing off steam right now.

Craic
02-10-2015, 10:34 AM
Well, according to the NFLPA contract, Bell gets a two-suspension. Cut and dried with no argument.

A two-game suspension will be issued upon conviction or plea agreement for driving under the influence.

That is Bell's fault and no one elses.

And as for the favorite—OMG Goodell HAteZ US! Mantra and scheduling. Well . . . he has nothing to do with it. He's not even allowed into the room where it happens, nor is anyone else.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/04/24/making-of-2014-nfl-schedule/

IF we end up playing the Pats* first game next year without Bell. It's Bells fault completely, totally, and only. It's not Goodell's, the League's, the toothfairy's or Bigfoot's fault. He made the stupid choice, he suffers the consequences as does his team.

86WARD
02-10-2015, 11:25 AM

Shit...I forgot that about him admitting it and then saying he didn't realize it was illegal...lol.

Moose
02-10-2015, 01:26 PM
It is aggravating that all of these punishments are so inconsistent, but the whole thing boils down to the so called crimes being committed in the first place. Let's all remember that these guys are so called athletes and should know by the age they are what is right and/or wrong. Also, they have to have been told by team officials what the rules and regulations are, and what will be tolerated and what won't be.....NFL rules included. So, when these over aged kids go out and screw up in public they have to know there will be punishments when caught. Plain and simple. We all know what our places of employment will except or not. I agree it is getting real tiresome of how the damn commish looks away when it concerns his precious assholes, but the whole thing comes down to when you're a professional, act the part. Maybe stay behind closed doors to party !

one side only
02-12-2015, 08:58 AM
The new substance abuse policy should eliminate the inconsistency in the punishments.

tube517
02-12-2015, 09:19 AM
The new substance abuse policy should eliminate the inconsistency in the punishments.

"should" is the key word.

I still have ZERO confidence in this league and the incompetent commissioner.

Crash
02-12-2015, 12:24 PM
August 30, 2011 | Filed in: 2011 Training Camp (http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/category/2011-training-camp/), Ben Volin (http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/category/ben-volin/).

COMMEN (http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2011/08/30/brandon-marshall-will-not-be-disciplined-by-nfl-for-stabbing-incident/#)
It’s official – Brandon Marshall will not face any discipline from the NFL for his off-field incident this past April.NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said that since no charges were filed in the incident, Marshall is not subject to discipline under the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

The announcement by the league puts an end to a troubled summer for Marshall, who was allegedly stabbed in the stomach by his wife during a domestic dispute at their home. His wife was initially arrested and charged with felony battery, but the charges were dropped last month due to lack of evidence.

I guess Ben plays in Canada?

That right there showed the corruption that is Roger Goodell.

Mojouw
02-12-2015, 12:39 PM
There are two different policies in play here.

One is the personal conduct policy - which basically allows Goodell to run around suspending folks willy-nilly and without a ton of oversight. However, after the Ray Rice situation this seems to be changing - but who really knows. The NFL has used the personal conduct policy as an excuse to "protect the shield" which has been their nonsense statement for punishing any player whose transgressions actually garner national media attention and hand-wringing and pearl grabbing on the internet accompanied by cries of "won't someone think of the children!". When this happens, the NFL then suspends the player some seemingly random amount of games. Ben's situation looked like he had his henchmen assist him in raping some drunk co-ed in a bar in bumblecrap Georgia (fits with the stereotypes of entitled athletes). Marshall's situation looked like his crazy wife attempted to murder him (fits with the narrative of bitches be crazy). I am not attempting to say that is what actually happened in either case - simply that is what the vast majority of the public assumed happened. The NFL then used the personal conduct policy to punish each player based on the public outrage from each incident. Personal Conduct Policy suspensions are not about an actual fair and balanced weighing of the evidence, but rather public relations motivated decisions that allow the NFL to keep basically printing money.

In direct contrast, the substance abuse policy(s) are actually laid out in black and white and signed off on by the NFL and NFLPA. So Bell's suspension is automatic and essentially non-debatable.

Craic
02-12-2015, 01:07 PM
August 30, 2011 | Filed in: 2011 Training Camp (http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/category/2011-training-camp/), Ben Volin (http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/category/ben-volin/).

COMMEN (http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2011/08/30/brandon-marshall-will-not-be-disciplined-by-nfl-for-stabbing-incident/#)
It’s official – Brandon Marshall will not face any discipline from the NFL for his off-field incident this past April.NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said that since no charges were filed in the incident, Marshall is not subject to discipline under the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

The announcement by the league puts an end to a troubled summer for Marshall, who was allegedly stabbed in the stomach by his wife during a domestic dispute at their home. His wife was initially arrested and charged with felony battery, but the charges were dropped last month due to lack of evidence.

I guess Ben plays in Canada?

That right there showed the corruption that is Roger Goodell.

Wait, what? You think the victim should be disciplined?

April 22, 2011: Michi Nogami-Marshall, the women whom Marshall married three weeks prior, is arrested and jailed after she admits to police she stabbed her husband with a kitchen knife in self-defense. Marshall is hospitalized following emergency surgery to repair a non-life threatening stab wound to his stomach.

And as for the "self defense" part of it . . ..

June 10, 2011: Nogami-Marshall is arrested after violating restraining order to stay away from Brandon Marshall and the couple’s home.

Yeah. He later said she didn't stab him, but truth be told, that sounds a lot more like "We want to put this behind us" than "I made up a lie and stabbed myself and then my wife confessed to doing it."

Texasteel
02-12-2015, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't want any victim punish, no matter if his name is Brandon, or Ben. How ever, Ben was punished. Punish more harshly than Rice was for beating the hell out of his wife. Personally, I think the commissioner owes Ben an apology at the very least.

86WARD
02-12-2015, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't want any victim punish, no matter if his name is Brandon, or Ben. How ever, Ben was punished. Punish more harshly than Rice was for beating the hell out of his wife. Personally, I think the commissioner owes Ben an apology at the very least.

Put him on the list right after Robert Kraft...

Crash
02-12-2015, 06:21 PM
Wait, what? You think the victim should be disciplined?

Did you miss this part below?

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said that since no charges were filed in the incident, Marshall is not subject to discipline under the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

How was Marshall not subject to PCP discipline, but Ben was, when NEITHER were charged, and play in the same league?

Lady Steel
02-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Steelers still awaiting word from NFL on probable Bell suspension

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert on Tuesday said that the organization didn't yet know of any plans by the NFL to discipline running back Le'Veon Bell relating to his August DUI arrest, but did say the team was preparing like they would be without their leading rusher at some point.

That's because a change in the NFL's substance abuse policy that went into effect on Nov. 1 mandates a two-game suspension for any player who is convicted or admits to a violation of the law.

Bell was given 15 months of probation (http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/7723802-74/story#axzz3RFq0pK5F)and admitted into the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program for first-time, non-violent offenders during a hearing with Common Pleas Judge Robert C. Gallo on Feb. 6, thus making him eligible for a two-game suspension.

ESPN reported on Wednesday (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/~sep~/id/12311462/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-expected-receive-2-game-suspension)that Bell's suspension will be the first two games of the season, which starts Labor Day weekend.

“The policy has been spelled out, at least in terms of this is what it is,” Colbert said. “How they will interpret it, we have no idea. We won't get any kind of league time on that. If anything happens it will happen. We will have to adjust. We have to be prepared for that.”

Bell's agent, Adisa Bakari, did not return a message.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/7765466-74/bell-suspension-policy#axzz3RbEyPEvL

Craic
02-13-2015, 09:07 AM
Did you miss this part below?

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said that since no charges were filed in the incident, Marshall is not subject to discipline under the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

How was Marshall not subject to PCP discipline, but Ben was, when NEITHER were charged, and play in the same league?

Tell me again why Marshall should be discplined for being stabbed. You seem to have forgotten that little part. Ben wasn't disciplined for being a rape victim. He was disciplined for putting himself in that situation where he was, supposedly, the aggressor.

Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert on Tuesday said that the organization didn't yet know of any plans by the NFL to discipline running back Le'Veon Bell relating to his August DUI arrest, but did say the team was preparing like they would be without their leading rusher at some point.

That's because a change in the NFL's substance abuse policy that went into effect on Nov. 1 mandates a two-game suspension for any player who is convicted or admits to a violation of the law.

Bell was given 15 months of probation (http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/7723802-74/story#axzz3RFq0pK5F)and admitted into the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition program for first-time, non-violent offenders during a hearing with Common Pleas Judge Robert C. Gallo on Feb. 6, thus making him eligible for a two-game suspension.

ESPN reported on Wednesday (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/~sep~/id/12311462/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-expected-receive-2-game-suspension)that Bell's suspension will be the first two games of the season, which starts Labor Day weekend.

“The policy has been spelled out, at least in terms of this is what it is,” Colbert said. “How they will interpret it, we have no idea. We won't get any kind of league time on that. If anything happens it will happen. We will have to adjust. We have to be prepared for that.”

Bell's agent, Adisa Bakari, did not return a message.
If I read this right, then Bell shouldn't be subjected to the automatic 2-game suspension because his violation occured before that policy went into effect.

tube517
02-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Tell me again why Marshall should be discplined for being stabbed. You seem to have forgotten that little part. Ben wasn't disciplined for being a rape victim. He was disciplined for putting himself in that situation where he was, supposedly, the aggressor.

If I read this right, then Bell shouldn't be subjected to the automatic 2-game suspension because his violation occured before that policy went into effect.

I'm confused. I thought there was a " new" policy where any infractons that were not penalized before the new poiicy would now be included. I don't know what's going on anymore. I may have read it wrong in a dipshit blog somewhere. :noidea:

Crash
02-13-2015, 01:15 PM
Tell me again why Marshall should be discplined for being stabbed.

Show me where I said Marshall should be suspended? Oh that's right, you won't because I never said it.

Ben wasn't disciplined for being a rape victim. He was disciplined for putting himself in that situation where he was, supposedly, the aggressor.

No, Ben was actually suspended because black players and black media demanded Goodell treat the uncharged whitey QB with two rings "like Vick and Pac Man".

And for the 3rd time, you've missed the POINT below:

How can Marshall not be subject to PCP suspension because no charges were filed, and yet Ben was when he wasn't charged either?

86WARD
02-13-2015, 01:18 PM
I'm confused. I thought there was a " new" policy where any infractons that were not penalized before the new poiicy would now be included. I don't know what's going on anymore. I may have read it wrong in a dipshit blog somewhere. :noidea:

But I think Bell's "case" or any DUI had to be "resolved" before Nov. 1 or something like that to not be subjected to the new policy. But I think it's open to interpretation

Mojouw
02-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Show me where I said Marshall should be suspended? Oh that's right, you won't because I never said it.

No, Ben was actually suspended because black players and black media demanded Goodell treat the uncharged whitey QB with two rings "like Vick and Pac Man".

And for the 3rd time, you've missed the POINT below:

How can Marshall not be subject to PCP suspension because no charges were filed, and yet Ben was when he wasn't charged either?

That was part of it. For sure. Likely the fact that one case is ALLEGED to be a famous athlete forcing someone to have sex with them with the assistance of others while all parties are drunk. While the other is the famous athlete getting stabbed during an argument with his wife. If you are in charge of 9-11 billion dollar per year business that DEPENDS on the general public's perceptions of your business to make all that money - which situation are you more concerned about finding your employee of being involved in?

It is not really a conspiracy or anything. It is simple public relations crisis management. That the NFL pretends it is anything different and that most people buy that is what is so goofy about it all.

86WARD
02-13-2015, 03:00 PM
Still conduct detrimental to the league...no?

Crash
02-13-2015, 03:02 PM

How? Goodell's right hand man stated that no charges meant you aren't subjected to the PCP.

Texasteel
02-13-2015, 03:16 PM
It is not really a conspiracy or anything. It is simple public relations crisis management. That the NFL pretends it is anything different and that most people buy that is what is so goofy about it all.

Conspiracy? Probably not. But I do wonder if it would have been handled the same if the QBs name had be Brady, or Manning.

Craic
02-13-2015, 11:44 PM

How?

I've yet to understand how getting stabbed means you're the aggressor. And Crash, no charges means he wasn't the aggressor in a domestic dispute, his WIFE was. For your argument to make any sense, Ben would have had to be the supposed victim of rape.

And don't put words in my mouth. I never said you said Marshall should be suspended. You're acting, however, as if he should have been disciplined, but wasn't. Unless, that is, your entire argument is simply that someone said "no charges filed" in a domestic dispute case where all the evidence points to the woman as the aggressor. But that's such an ignorant argument (literally, ignoring context and ignoring facts) that I doubt that's the one you're trying to make.

- - - Updated - - -

Conspiracy? Probably not. But I do wonder if it would have been handled the same if the QBs name had be Brady, or Manning.

Second charge in second year for the same type of thing, my suspicion is that it would have.

Beyond that, what most people fail to recognize is that Goodell's actions finally got Ben's attention, and his head on straight, and he's grown into a mature team leader, not to mention by all accounts, a good husband. Right, wrong, or indifferent, that suspension and counseling he had to go through looks like one of the best things that's ever happened to him since becoming a professional athlete.

EDIT: and before people foam at the mouth about not being legally charged, I meant in general, not by legal standard. Someone laid a charge against him.

Crash
02-14-2015, 05:02 PM
You're acting, however, as if he should have been disciplined, but wasn't.

No, I'm not. I just used the example of Ben, and the example of Marshall, to point out how corrupt Roger Goodel is.

What's worse? Is that Art Rooney II seems to be on board with it.

Craic
02-14-2015, 06:00 PM
No, I'm not. I just used the example of Ben, and the example of Marshall, to point out how corrupt Roger Goodel is.

What's worse? Is that Art Rooney II seems to be on board with it. [/COLOR]

:huh: I'm just going to let it go.

Crash
02-14-2015, 06:05 PM
You should, because you've missed the point entirely.

Texasteel
02-14-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm not foaming at the mouth bud, not over this anyway, but I do object to the use of the word charged. I think accusation would be a better word. To punish a person because someone has accused them of some thing is vigilantly justice. I think the commissioner would be better served if he would have stated that they were looking into the situation, but will take no action until the official police investigation was complete. Not just in Bens case, but all such cased. The Rice case for instance. Even if he is truthful about not know what happened inside the elevator, which I for one do not believe, he should of waited to have the facts before handing down a punishment. It would have saved him and the league a lot of embarrassment. All this is now in the past, not forgotten, nor forgiven, but still in the past. Since it looks like we will still be stuck with this moron for some time, I at least hope he has learned from his mistakes. If his gigantic ego will let him.

X-Terminator
02-14-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm not foaming at the mouth bud, not over this anyway, but I do object to the use of the word charged. I think accusation would be a better word. To punish a person because someone has accused them of some thing is vigilantly justice. I think the commissioner would be better served if he would have stated that they were looking into the situation, but will take no action until the official police investigation was complete. Not just in Bens case, but all such cased. The Rice case for instance. Even if he is truthful about not know what happened inside the elevator, which I for one do not believe, he should of waited to have the facts before handing down a punishment. It would have saved him and the league a lot of embarrassment. All this is now in the past, not forgotten, nor forgiven, but still in the past. Since it looks like we will still be stuck with this moron for some time, I at least hope he has learned from his mistakes. If his gigantic ego will let him.

I wouldn't bet the farm on that happening. As long as the money keeps rolling in, Goodell will pretty much be able to do whatever he wants. The only thing that will get his and the owners' attention is if the fans stop watching or going to games, and league revenues drop as a result. Good luck with that happening, if the Super Bowl ratings were any indication.

Mojouw
02-14-2015, 07:23 PM
The NFL is not interested in being fair and taking an innocent until proven guilty stance towards player conduct.

They are interested in seeming to be proactive, moral, and serving swift punishment when the players transgress the rules (however vague and inconsistent those rules may be) in the eyes of the majority of the people who help the league take in billions of dollars in profits.

In most people's eyes, particularly non-Steelers fans, Ben deserved to be punished for whatever appeared to them to have happened that night in Georgia. Actually proving things to the level of legal charges in a civil or criminal court room is not even on the average persons radar. They simply see a young athlete who has made more money in one year playing a game (on they wish they could be paid to play) than they will see in their whole lives standing accused of taking advantage of young woman. This causes them to be outraged and demand that someone do something. The NFL, says - "Hey. We're someone - we'll do something!" and suspends the player. The majority of the league's revenue base (fans) are contented or at least distracted and the league continues to make insane amounts of money.

I really don't see why some are having a hard time with this. The substance abuse policies were rewritten last year to be totally transparent and understandable to all interested parties. The personal conduct policy will never function the same way. It can't. The personal conduct policy and "actions detrimental to the league" is a vague bunch of crap whose sole purpose is to function as the nuclear option of NFL public relations.

Bottom line - get accused of raping a woman - you're going to get suspended. Get in a physical altercation with the wife - where you are the victim -- not so much.

Craic
02-14-2015, 09:38 PM
You should, because you've missed the point entirely.

Um, you had no valid point. You were trying to compare two incomparable situations, and the taking what was said about one as equal to what was or wasn't said or done with the other. But if they are incomparable, then you can't make conclusions based on comparisons.

That last comment wasn't directed at you, or actually at anyone. Sorry if it came across that way. I was thinking of "charged" as someone giving a charge to someone, or laying a charge on someone, not on the legal idea. But yeah, accusation also works. The problem here, however, is that it isn't about "justice." It's all about perception. Punishment isn't about "justice" either. It's about making it too detrimental to continue in whatever mode of conduct brought the punishment about, without going so far that the NFLPA steps in.

In short, he is neither judge nor jury, he's the equivalent of a CEO in an At-Will state (balanced somewhat with a union), and CEOs hire and fire not based on what is "just" but what (1) affects the bottom line and (2) affects their company's reputation, which again, is tantamount to saying it's about the bottom line.

Crash
02-14-2015, 11:22 PM
Um, you had no valid point. You were trying to compare two incomparable situations,

I'm comparing 2 players who play in the SAME league.

Player A: Not charged, and according to the NFL wasn't subject to the PCP because he wasn't charged.

Player B: Also not charged, but somehow was suspended 6 games in the same league that player A plays in.

That can't happen if the rules, and the leader of the league, isn't corrupt.

86WARD
02-15-2015, 02:39 AM
How? Goodell's right hand man stated that no charges meant you aren't subjected to the PCP.

Ben put himself in a situation (twice) in which he wasn't shed in a good light either time but portrayed him as the aggressor and he got suspended for conduct detrimental to the league. Marshall was portrayed as the victim?

I'm not trying to argue that it was right...I more agree with what you are saying...just trying to look at it from the other side.

I don't recall if that policy was in place when Ben had his issues. Maybe it wasn't at that time...

stillers4me
02-15-2015, 08:56 AM
I just wish the league would announce the suspension if there is going to be one. That gives the Steelers time to prepare for it via FA or the draft. We all known the position needs to be addressed as far as backups go. ( we are also getting an extra preseason game, good or bad, it gives us an extra game to prepare). The Steelers need to just know, especially if our first opponents are The Evil Empire.

fansince'76
02-15-2015, 11:15 AM
I don't recall if that policy was in place when Ben had his issues. Maybe it wasn't at that time...

No, Crash hit the nail on the head earlier in the thread. Ben got six games solely because Goodell was feeling the heat from the media for supposedly being unfairly harsh in his discipline of black players as opposed to white players (looking at you, Jason Whitlock). He came down particularly hard on Ben to "prove" he wasn't racist. Period. End of story.

It had absolutely nothing to do with violence/crimes against women or "integrity of the shield" or anything else. The slap on the wrist he initially gave Ray Rice for cold cocking his wife on tape and then lying through his teeth about not seeing it afterwards pretty much shows he couldn't give a shit less about that.

fansince'76
02-15-2015, 11:30 AM
I just wish the league would announce the suspension if there is going to be one. That gives the Steelers time to prepare for it via FA or the draft. We all known the position needs to be addressed as far as backups go. ( we are also getting an extra preseason game, good or bad, it gives us an extra game to prepare). The Steelers need to just know, especially if our first opponents are The Evil Empire.

I'm sure we'll hear confirmation of his two-game suspension right around the same time Goodell gives DeflateGate one final Officer Barbrady treatment before sweeping it under the rug. I almost guarantee it'll be after the draft. Hell, look how long the loss of a possible draft pick was held over the team's collective head for SidelineGate. :coffee:

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb136/garyb12001/ows_141030236898426_zps1fe31a41.jpg (http://s211.photobucket.com/user/garyb12001/media/ows_141030236898426_zps1fe31a41.jpg.html)

Shoes
02-15-2015, 11:56 AM
It's the Rooney vote that helped put the dirtbag in this position, just like all the other owners and he'll stay (Goodell) because they are making money. Everyone has their hand in the pot, fan's included…..is it any wonder Goodell is an arrogant pig?

BigNastyDefense
02-15-2015, 03:03 PM
A very good post.

In this case, the rules are being applied equally.

Bell was driving under the influence of marijuana. Under the new league drug policy, a DUI/DWI is a 1-3 game suspension. I don't care what pot users say, it's not safe to drive under the influence of a drug that slows your reaction time. And as long as it's illegal, there will be punishment when you use it.

Blount, was not driving. Charges were dropped as part of his deal. I think it's still first failed drug test/arrest that isn't a DUI/DWI gets you put in the system, but no suspension. If Blount had been driving instead of Bell, then the situations would be flipped.

Hopefully this was a one-time screw up for Bell, he learned his lesson, and won't use marijuana or any other illegal drug for the rest of his football career. I don't remember hearing anything about him failing multiple drug tests at Michigan State, so this seems to me like Blount was just a bad influence. I am glad he's gone, the guy was a cancer.

It will likely be announced as a 2 game suspension, then Bell will appeal it and it'll be a one-game suspension.

Crash
02-15-2015, 03:42 PM
Jason Whitlock wasn't bad in the Ben issue. It was people like ESPN's Jemele Hill, Jeffri Chahidi, and William C. Rhoden who demanded Ben's head on a stick.

86WARD
02-15-2015, 04:02 PM
It's so great that the only team that opposed anything was Pittsburgh...lol.

zulater
02-18-2015, 08:07 AM
Does Roger Goodell and the league owe it to the Steelers to make Bell's punishment known before the draft? If it's a foregone conclusion that a suspension is imminent, and all the information that can be available is already in, then what's the hold up?

Look I understand that the Steelers have to bring in a viable running back to share the load with Bell regardless of Bell's suspension's length. But to me this goes to a larger issue. Once you have all the evidence whether a Steeler a Raven, Patriot etc... you need to make your final determination as soon as possible. Plus the sooner the punishment is handed out the sooner the player can decide whether he wants to appeal

Mojouw
02-18-2015, 11:12 AM
When does the new league year start? That might be when it comes out.

86WARD
02-18-2015, 11:33 AM
March 10. 4:00pm?