PDA

View Full Version : Heinz Field Adding More Seats To South End Zone

Lady Steel
02-07-2015, 11:52 PM
https://cbspittsburgh.files.wordpress.com/2015/02/steelers.jpg?w=620&h=349&crop=1
(Photo Credit: KDKA)

NORTH SHORE (KDKA) – The football season may be over, but Heinz Field has been anything but quiet.

New seats are going into the stadium, making room for more fans.

The rumbling of construction equipment in the south end zone is being accompanied by some long awaited reaching out.

“We have been in contact with people who have been on the waiting list all the way back to 1995, so we’re trying to get some of those folks off the waiting list,” said Steelers Spokesman Burt Lauten.

Those fans are being offered the chance to land in the new seats being constructed in the south end zone.

“That exact number won’t be completed until they get the final construction done, but it will be somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000,” said Lauten.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2015/02/06/heinz-field-adding-more-seats-to-south-end-zone/

Texasteel
02-08-2015, 02:30 PM
But,,,, we have to many empty seats now. Isn't that right Mr. Commissioner.

KeiselPower99
02-10-2015, 08:44 PM
I dont like that it will take away the view of the river but more seats is always good, plus waiting for Steelers season tickets since 95?

salamander
02-10-2015, 09:03 PM
This has been in the works for a couple of years now. I'm glad to see it taking fruition. I still say Heinz Field (as nice as it is) lacks any intimidation factor though.

X-Terminator
02-10-2015, 09:12 PM
This has been in the works for a couple of years now. I'm glad to see it taking fruition. I still say Heinz Field (as nice as it is) lacks any intimidation factor though.

The school bus yellow seats pretty much ended that. I still want to know whose stupid idea that was.

Texasteel
02-10-2015, 10:20 PM
I dont like that it will take away the view of the river but more seats is always good, plus waiting for Steelers season tickets since 95?

The paddleboat ride from the parking lot to the field is one of my favorite memories. After I got inside I didn't even notice the river again, till it was time to go home.

stillers4me
02-11-2015, 05:23 AM
Go to PNC Park if you want a view. Now there's a view!

salamander
02-11-2015, 06:16 AM
The paddleboat ride from the parking lot to the field is one of my favorite memories. After I got inside I didn't even notice the river again, till it was time to go home.

You don't really get a great view of the river anyways unless you're in the nosebleeds.

Crash
02-11-2015, 08:54 AM
Good. Close that end. Helps the kickers.

Now get Field Turf in there and scrap the beach.

salamander
02-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Good. Close that end. Helps the kickers.

Now get Field Turf in there and scrap the beach.

No thank you on the Field Turf. The Rooneys prefer the grass and unless Goodell mandates it, we won't be seeing artificial turf at Heinz Field any time soon.

Crash
02-11-2015, 12:46 PM
What they play on isn't grass for most of the year. It's sand. Because PITT and the Steelers tear it up.

Their own players vote their own surface the worst in the NFL.

Me? I get FT in there and utilize the speed of my offense.

Craic
02-11-2015, 09:08 PM
Why add more seats when there's so many empty ones each game anyway? Sure, we're "sold out" but people aren't bothering to show. And no, it's not because people are standing up. This has only been a problem this year and a bit last year.

Personally, I think the tickets should be tracked for attendance as well, and if, say, a quarter of home games aren't attended, the owner faces a fine (or they can sell the license to a non-immediate family member)

fansince'76
02-12-2015, 06:40 AM
What they play on isn't grass for most of the year. It's sand. Because PITT and the Steelers tear it up.

Their own players vote their own surface the worst in the NFL.

Me? I get FT in there and utilize the speed of my offense.

I get what you're saying and actually agree with it to a point, but if Heinz had field turf instead of grass, we'd all more than likely be wondering right now if Le'Veon Bell would ever be able to play again instead of fretting over him missing the first two games of next season due to suspension. There's no "give" in field turf.

Crash
02-12-2015, 08:13 AM
Outdoor field turf is not like domes because there is more moisture. Besides how many injuries have happened to the Steelers playing at home? Ben? Pouncey? Troy? All of their serious injuries occurred during home games.

one side only
02-12-2015, 08:44 AM
There were no issues with the playing surface this year. The sod was replaced twice during the season. I don't know when the last player survey was done (I think 2008). A lot of the complaints have to do with the reputation Heinz Field acquired after the poor decision in 2007 to install new sod over (as in on top of, not a replacement for) the existing surface after the WPIAL championship games, a Pitt home game, and just before the MNF game against the Dolphins. The new sod floated on top of the existing surface because of the torrential rain. Since then, the Steelers play away the Sunday after the WPIAL championships, and have used that period in between to replace the sod.

Kentucky Bluegrass was installed as the playing surface when Heinz Field opened. Desso GrassMaster hybrid grass has replaced the natural grass. Both the Broncos and Packers play on a Desso GrassMaster surface. The grass is reinforced with artificial fibers, making it highly durable.

As for injuries, Pouncey's injury had nothing to do with the turf; DeCastro plowed in to him. Ben actually said he was glad the Steelers played on grass when he got his concussion in 2008.

The Steelers have gone on record as saying they will not install an artificial turf, so this topic can be thrown into the same category as "Block numbers on jerseys were better" and "Switch to a 4-3 defense," and many of the most active topics discussed on the OSMB back in the day.

Lady Steel
02-12-2015, 08:41 PM
Nothing fake is ever a good thing.

Crash
02-13-2015, 11:23 PM
No no. The complaints were well before 2007. I also don't believe they use the fibers anymore either.

You are right, the Broncos use it. But except for the CU/CSU game no one touches that field during the year but the Broncos mostly.

They were also on the record saying they would not expand Heinz Field. Dan Rooney has stated that he prefers the grass. But if Art II had his way he'd use field turf.

salamander
02-14-2015, 06:38 AM
No no. The complaints were well before 2007. I also don't believe they use the fibers anymore either.

You are right, the Broncos use it. But except for the CU/CSU game no one touches that field during the year but the Broncos mostly.

They were also on the record saying they would not expand Heinz Field. Dan Rooney has stated that he prefers the grass. But if Art II had his way he'd use field turf.

I will agree with that. Art II has already proven he definitely isn't his dad.

Crash
02-14-2015, 04:04 PM
Don't get me started on Art II. He's the reason this franchise has taken a step back.

Field Turf is probably the ONLY thing I agree with him on.

X-Terminator
02-14-2015, 07:13 PM
Don't get me started on Art II. He's the reason this franchise has taken a step back.

That will not be a popular opinion with some on here. But I personally agree with you.