PDA

View Full Version : Shazier in 2015

Mojouw
02-06-2015, 10:31 AM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/steelers-film-room/2015/2/6/7990163/steelers-ryan-shazier-highlights-2014

The optimist in me wants to believe this is what we will consistently be treated to in 2015. I hope Shazier takes much of the coverage and pursuit responsibilities and Timmons slids into the old Farrior role of run support and inside blitzes.

There was an article somewhere this week arguing that the Steelers are too enamored with speed and drafted Shazier (a bust in the making) over Mosley (an ILB stud) because of it. All I can say to that, is watch the above video of Shazier in coverage. Then think back to Bell beating Mosley like a drum in the passing game. Now decide which 'backer you want.

However, the Steelers may still insist on playing Timmons and Shapenciliams or whatever.

fansince'76
02-06-2015, 10:35 AM
I recall a lot of people at roughly the same time last year saying the FO stepped in it when they took Bell over Lacy too...

st33lersguy
02-06-2015, 12:20 PM
He needs to stay on the field and not get injured. I think one problem with injuries last year was with the lack of bulk. He needs to bulk up

st33lersguy
02-06-2015, 12:25 PM
I recall a lot of people at roughly the same time last year saying the FO stepped in it when they took Bell over Lacy too...

From what I remember, some were sold on Bell, while others like me felt Lacy had the upper hand his first year but were encouraged by what Bell showed last year and felt he could be a really good player in 14. I don't remember a lot of people saying the Steelers were flat out wrong selecting Bell. I do know that I was fairly unimpressed in the limited action I did see in him

86WARD
02-06-2015, 12:48 PM
Gotta give Shazier some time before labeling him a "bust".

Shoes
02-06-2015, 02:00 PM
I'm happy we have him and would still take him over Mosley.

st33lersguy
02-06-2015, 03:38 PM
Next year we will see what he can do

GoSlash27
02-06-2015, 03:48 PM
I have high hopes for Shazier.

Mainly 'cuz he looks like a young Deebo :D

dislocatedday
02-06-2015, 06:24 PM
I think barring injuries that Shazier will become a stud for the Steelers. The talent is apparent. Jarvis is the one that concerns me, but I hope he proves me and any other doubters wrong.

SteelerFanInStl
02-06-2015, 10:54 PM
For ILBer, I wanted Mosley but I really didn't know much about Shazier. When I saw him play in preseason, I started to get excited about his potential and started thinking that he could be much more than Mosley. I just hope that we didn't draft him just because of his speed, especially considering how good Mosley was this year. Let's just hope that he's healthy and ready to go for season #2.

oneforthetoe
02-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Thoughts on Shazier:

Probably always be a little weak for the position if playing a big o'line. Not sure it will mater that often the way way the league is going. Coverage and pass rushing skills probably more important. However, our own division is pretty physical so that might be an issue.

Calling him a bust at this point is ridiculous. Troy was a bust his rookie year. We should be so lucky.

I think Shazier would have started again after he came back from injury if the combo of Spence and Williams wouldn't have been working. But that combo was hardly spectacular.

Outside linebacker has always been the play making position in the Lebeau D. Maybe under the new regime inside backer will be will more prevalent.

Mojouw
02-07-2015, 01:46 PM
If Shazier can run with TE's and stick with backs in the flat and underneath zones - then anything else he brings to the table in run stopping and pass rush is simply gravy.

Guys like Clay Harbor and other unknown 3rd or 4th option pass catchers have been making the Pro Bowl against this defense for too long.

The Troy P comparison may be apt in more ways than one. I think that is Shazier's ceiling - an all around disruptor on defense. He has the speed and basic football sense to do it.