PDA

View Full Version : Steelers.com: Hills taking a step forward

stillers4me
08-24-2010, 07:52 PM
By Teresa Varley – Steelers.com
Posted 2 hours ago

For two seasons tackle Tony Hillshttp://www.steelers.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif (http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/tony-hills/51813d18-0a30-437e-b0bf-5ddb1517ba53/) has roamed the sidelines for the Steelers, but he hasn’t got much further than that.
As a rookie, the fourth-round draft pick from Texas was inactive for all 16 games and the post-season.
His second year he didn’t see much action either, playing in only one game on special teams at Baltimore, and dressing for two others but not playing.
“It was hard. It was really hard,” said Hills. “You want to go out there and really help. I have never been one to complain. I have always worked hard. I have been waiting in the wings for my chance to go out and perform and be ready when they call.”
That lack of playing time weighed heavily on him. But he wasn’t about to let it stop him. He knew the only way to get out on the field was to keep pushing himself, even if he wasn’t reaping the benefits............
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Hills-taking-a-step-forward/66dfbe13-ab0e-4f4f-86ea-04c4d42853fb

Chidi29
08-24-2010, 08:17 PM
“The last couple of years I was trying to figure it out on my own. I wasn’t reaching out as much as I should have. This year with Coach Kugs, he is an approachable person."

Which implies Zierlien wasn't. Glad we made the change.

SteelerSal
08-24-2010, 08:22 PM
“The last couple of years I was trying to figure it out on my own. I wasn’t reaching out as much as I should have. This year with Coach Kugs, he is an approachable person."

Which implies Zierlien wasn't. Glad we made the change.

Faneca voiced his displeasure for coach Z when he was here.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-24-2010, 10:57 PM
I think Zeirline was too focused on not having Ben get sacked 50 times a season to worry about an underperforming 4th round pick. Hills needed to get stronger in year 1, then even last year he was playing too high and getting jacked up in the preseason.

He still looked iffy in the 1st game this preseason, playing too high in pass protection and not getting decent pad level in the run game. I think he makes it as the backup LT this season finally, but he still might not beat out Jon Scott for which OT gets to dress on gameday.

The Duke
08-24-2010, 11:17 PM
Hills has been a pleasant surprise this preaseason. Before TC, one player I was sure would be cut was Hills

Now he may very well be a serviceable backup for us

Chris Scott will end up on IR right?

cold-hard-steel
08-24-2010, 11:25 PM
I've always held the positive end when it comes to the o-line. Don't make me go there. Ben needs to make his plays,and how can you expect an o-line to have eyes in the back of their heads? Hills wants a job,and by now ,at least he should know what he has to do to get it. He could be a surprise as far as i am concerned. If not,this may be his time to be let go. Too many other options now. I , myself, think he will be kept. Just sayin.

Steeldude
08-25-2010, 12:50 AM
so the fans were right about zierlein? i thought fans were always wrong? well, i guess it still remains to be seen. was zierlein the only problem? i think lack of talen was another contributing factor.

as for hills, i hope he gets a lot better. i didn't like this pick at all. my other worry about hills was how healthy can he stay. if he wins a starting job, how long before he goes down?

zulater
08-25-2010, 05:32 AM
If he's got game start him in one of these last two preseason games and see what he does. As it stands now we've got two inadequete tackles. Starks has a history of getting complacent, maybe a little shove from behind would get him back to the top end of his game?

steelatl
08-25-2010, 06:19 AM
It would help tremendously if Hills put it all together and managed to become an impact player.

Psycho Ward 86
08-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Tony Hills starting at Right Tackle for the season opener. Wouldn't that be a shocker; then again, I'm just dreaming