PDA

View Full Version : Defensive coordinator Butler taught intricacies to many, now gets chance to do more

Lady Steel
01-24-2015, 11:13 PM
By the time the Seattle Seahawks drafted linebacker Dave Wyman in the second round in 1987, Keith Butler was in his 10th and final season of playing outside linebacker with the team. In that time, Butler had established himself as a master of his craft, a player who could dissect an offense’s intention an instant after seeing its formation and disrupt a play with his guile.

But Butler was more than just a player who would become the Seahawks’ all-time leader in tackles when he retired. He was leader, mentor and faith-healer, a player who instructed rookies on the field through a thick southern accent and recited Bible verses to his teammates at his house.

“I remember he said to me, ‘Boy, you were drafted to replace me, so you might as well learn the game from me,’ ” Wyman said. “So I would stand next to him whenever I could. That’s where I learned to play football — from Keith Butler. He was the first one to make me aware of what an offense is trying to do to you.”

Wyman was just the first of many NFL linebackers who learned how to play their position from Butler. Many others were to follow, including Joey Porter, James Harrison, Larry Foote, LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons.

Now Butler, 58, has a new job: Trying to restore the Steelers defense to the dizzying level established by his predecessor, the legendary Dick LeBeau. After 12 seasons as the team’s linebackers coach, Butler has been promoted to defensive coordinator — a job for which he patiently bided his time.

Those who have known him longest have no doubt he will succeed.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2015/01/25/Defensive-coordinator-Butler-taught-intricacies-to-many-now-gets-chance-to-do-more/stories/201501250182

crcsnail
01-25-2015, 04:09 AM
That was a good read. I'm really hoping he does well .

stillers4me
01-25-2015, 07:21 AM
I think this draft is going to belong to Keith Butler.

Shoes
01-25-2015, 10:51 AM
I wish him all the best. This was very refreshing…

“ One of the reasons the guys like him is he’s tough. Linebackers can pick up on that. They know when a guy is a fake and when a guy is real, and Keith is real. He’s the kind of guy if he says he’s going to do something, he’s going to do it.”

Lady Steel
01-25-2015, 03:00 PM
It took me awhile to come around from Coach LeBeau, but after reading the article, I think I like him now. :chuckle:

He's going to do good things for us.

Bluecoat96
01-25-2015, 03:51 PM
I think that our young guys will benefit from a no-nonsense, tell it like it is kind of guy.

Texasteel
01-25-2015, 05:13 PM
It took me awhile to come around from Coach LeBeau, but after reading the article, I think I like him now. :chuckle:

He's going to do good things for us.

I know the Coach was hard to let go of for most of us, I know is was for me. He was the steelers defense for a very long time, and will remain a legend, not just a Steelers legend, but a football legend. Coach Butler was not just handed the job, he was a legitimate candidate for the DC job. As a player he was a student of the game, he was trained by the best to someday be a DC. I believe a couple of teams tried to lure him away from us but he stuck it out because this was the job he wanted. I think he will do just fine. I would ask for one thing, please take that damn 3 man rush out of the playbook, at least for now.

Butch
01-25-2015, 05:34 PM
I know the Coach was hard to let go of for most of us, I know is was for me. He was the steelers defense for a very long time, and will remain a legend, not just a Steelers legend, but a football legend. Coach Butler was not just handed the job, he was a legitimate candidate for the DC job. As a player he was a student of the game, he was trained by the best to someday be a DC. I believe a couple of teams tried to lure him away from us but he stuck it out because this was the job he wanted. I think he will do just fine. I would ask for one thing, please take that damn 3 man rush out of the playbook, at least for now.

Oh Hell yes!!!

Craic
01-26-2015, 04:18 PM
I could never figure out why "Keith Butler" would ring just a tad familiar in the back of my head every time I heard the name. But it's no wonder: he played for Seattle in the '80s. Back then, the only football you watched on a consistent basis was your regional team, which for me, was Seattle. They had some good names on those teams: Steve Largent, Eugene Robinson, and Keith Butler among others.